• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will be available in both digital and physical format on November 5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A file hosted on Korea’s Game Rating and Administration Committee’s website mentions Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for the Xbox One and PC.

The file contains a list of games that have recently been rated. Upon downloading the file directly from the website ourselves, we found both the aforementioned versions.

Tomb Raider games are no stranger to the Definitive Edition treatment but this one might surprise some because Shadow of the Tomb Raider‘s Croft Edition, which includes the Season Pass alongside a few extra goodies, is currently available for $30.

Thanks mods for the title change:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Might be a solid move to bring this one back into the limelight. I got the impression that a lot of people, even fans of the previous two like me, took a pass on it.

Although I’m not sure that a new release necessarily solves the reasons people weren’t excited for it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This is the best game of the new trilogy, and one of the best in the series. I can't believe that people have shunned this game.

Dont be surprised if then all games are similar in pan pan boom boom mode

Honestly, I've passed enough times on this being dirt cheap that I doubt anything would get me to buy it at this point. Both my wife and I are sick to the back teeth of this miserable git of a poor excuse for a Tomb Raider.

Unless at some point in the future they bring back the fun, independent, self motivated, self assured, intelligent, funny and unapologetically sexy original Lara, the franchise is pretty much dead to me.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is the best game of the new trilogy, and one of the best in the series. I can't believe that people have shunned this game.

I actually do plan on playing the trilogy precisely because the third game seems to be a god step up, but as I do not own the first two, I first wait if there will be a trilogy release when the new consoles come out.

mcjmetroid

If it's similar to Rise and from what I read in reviews it seemed to be then I can see why.
Rise was utterly souless as a game, It was a weird one because it didn't do anything particularly wrong but didn't do anything amazingly right either so it was totally forgettable.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
If it's similar to Rise and from what I read in reviews it seemed to be then I can see why.
Rise was utterly souless as a game, It was a weird one because it didn't do anything particularly wrong but didn't do anything amazingly right either so it was totally forgettable.

ROTTR is a bad game imo, SOTTR is 10 times better for real

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It’s a realy good game and visually amazing. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I don’t think it helped that Microsoft had that marketing deal with the previous game were it was delayed a year on PlayStation, I think that pissed a lot of fans off and it’s a shame as this is a great game

Zimmy68

ROTTR is a bad game imo, SOTTR is 10 times better for real
I couldn't disagree more. I played through Rise multiple times on PC, PS4 and Xbox. Tried grabbing every collectible and loved the different strategies to use in different areas.
I can't play 10 minutes of Shadows without being completely bored.
I like the lone wolf vibe of Rise, in Shadows they want you to talk to townies, and combat is almost non-existent.
What good are all these weapons when you can't use them?
I need to force myself to finish Shadows, I own the Croft edition on Xbox. Maybe it will grow on me.

Typhares

Played all 3 games, best one was the first game imo. One of the few games I played more than once (ps3 and ps4 edition) and one of those playthrough I collected everything.
Rise was utterly forgettable and Shadow was more of the same to me. I had to push to finish it.
The experience was so much tighter in the first game and I enjoyed the atmosphere more too.

To me it's like the same as the Arkham trilogy, first game is best then sequels are just bloated for no reason... open world yay!

Last edited:

protonion

It is the only game of the trilogy I didn't trade.

If everything is on disc I will get it.
Seriously stop putting the original unpatched disc and a voucher.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Jup. It’s the reason I passed on Shadow. I loved and still love the reboot but after reading they once again cluttered the entire game with endless collectables I was immediately turned off. Reboot this is very well in that regard but Rise was just over the top crazy. Remember constantly pressing the right stick. Sorry, but that is just stupid and I was really hoping they get rid of that in Shadow. They didn’t.

iorek21

Loved SOTTR, my only gripe with the game was the excessive use of native language. Realist, sure, but didn't really grab me.

After beating it I heard that there's a way to fully dub the game, is that true?

Neff

It's very decent. It's not as good as '13 and definitely not as good as Rise.

Things I liked

+ The graphics - they really are amazing. Worth disabling 60fps on PS4 Pro for the superior shadows and lighting.
+ The tombs/crypts - The abundance and complexity of them was welcome. I always felt like they were a major component of the game, unlike the previous two where they were more like an occasional treat. The puzzles were fun, if occasionally overwrought.
+ The environment design - I felt like the secrets were less obvious this time round, which made discovering them more satisfying. The open world aspect felt more disconnected, gated, and dense, which I actually prefer.

Things I didn't like

- The story/script - I wasn't keen on the story for the first two games either, but story isn't why I play these games. All the same, Shadow somehow managed to be even more dull and long-winded than the story in '13 and Rise. And dear god do the characters love to ramble. It almost seems like they were given a huge budget for the writing/voice talent and were urged to spend it whether they needed to or not.
- The ability chart - Most of it was redundant honestly. And that's mostly because there's a surprisingly small amount of combat in the game.
- Pacing - After Rise managed to balance a good mix of exploration/combat/story, Shadow's formula is a lot less even. There's big chunks of sustained, intense action, and then equally big if not bigger stretches of wandering around villages talking to NPCs about their dull lives. It gets very boring at times and I found myself having to play in impatient bursts.
- Jonah following me around everywhere - I'm the legendary Lara fucking Croft, and now this tubby who character is basically my 2p story double, managing to keep up with me while traversing the wild. Sorry, but no.

Overall the highs are more frequent and memorable than the lows. It was worth the discounted price I bought it for and an enjoyable ride.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, experience the final chapter of Lara’s origin as she is forged into the Tomb Raider she is destined to be. Combining the base game, all seven DLC challenge tombs, as well as all downloadable weapons, outfits, and skills, Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is the ultimate way to experience Lara’s defining moment.

Last edited:

LuisBell

Neo Member
So this is the new cover for the Definitive Edition:
6374995_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Looks really cool in my opinion but it all comes down to price now.

Might be a solid move to bring this one back into the limelight. I got the impression that a lot of people, even fans of the previous two like me, took a pass on it.

Although I’m not sure that a new release necessarily solves the reasons people weren’t excited for it.
I felt kind of the same way, was this overshadowed by something else? The first two seemed like they got a lot of attention while this one did not.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it when it came out. Played it for a bit then stopped. I think last month or so I went back to it and HOLY SHIT was it boring but good looking.

I bought the base game at the weekend for £12 because I was bored and probably stoned. I really liked the first one and really didn't like the second one. Played a couple of hours of this and I don't mind it so far.

Couldn't care less about the definitive edition.

Fbh

1 was pretty good and the sequel was ok.

Might pick up this complete edition when it's cheap after it bombs too

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this was a cool game. hah i cant remember if i beat it or not. that's the fault of the terrible story. luckily you can ignore it and still enjoy. so many nice tombs this time! the rambo stealth was the best in the series and pretty fun as well. my advice is skip the story, there is plenty to see and do without. the game tends to look better while playing than in the cutscenes anyway.

the reboot trilogy got a weak story and a few other things wrong but overall im very happy with how these games turned out.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Finally hope this definitive edition is the last/complete edition.

Eh why? I'm fine with lara croft reboot sound.
The sound quality is not the issue. The story/dialogue is pathetic. Just turn it off, skip the cutscenes and enjoy the gameplay. The characters and their motivations have become progressively* worse over time.

*See what I did there? :)

sn0man

Finally hope this definitive edition is the last/complete edition.

Eh why? I'm fine with lara croft reboot sound.

I kind of hope the next gen consoles get a proper release as the PC is getting patched in ray tracing and it would be nice to have that version.

Also rise got a PS4 Pro patch after launch so another version for it while we’re at it.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The first of the new trilogy was good, but needed refinement. It was quite clear what they needed to change.

Then the second came and... well, it wasn’t as good as the first but still a good game, but then ignored the changes needed.

The third looked incredible, and still does, but... they regressed even further with the changes.

The problem for me personally was the third should have been where she “becomes” the Lara we all know. Pony tail, shorts and vest, and duel pistols. This should have been the standard set. Exploration should have been massively in front with a gunplay in the back. But they went the other way?

To me, the third game feels like like the game before the last, like this was supposed to be a 4 part game series, not a 3.

Oh well... The games are good, and they get shit on a lot for some reason, but they really should have used the third to hammer home the original nostalgia.

If you don’t agree go fuck yourself in Area 51.

Forsythia

I hated that you had to run around in some dumb native outfit 90% of the game. So the devs finally listened to the complaints about this, but they'll only remove the restriction after you beat the game. It's useless.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For years everyone complained about Lara mowing down thousands of dudes, this game has way less combat and way more puzzles and... well I missed the combat, bros. it was well done before, and without the big set pieces it felt low budget compared to the other 2. The game was ok, and looks amazing, but is easily the worst of the 3.

Neff

Just turn it off, skip the cutscenes and enjoy the gameplay.

I rarely skip cutscenes, especially on a first run of a game, but around the halfway point of Shadow I started skipping NPC monologues, and I didn't feel bad about it. There's nothing wrong with loquacious storytelling per se, but when a script writer commits the fatal sin of being boring on top of not knowing when to stop, my patience stops being generous.

I missed the combat, bros.

The other two struck up a nice balance between exploring, murdering, and holding up to run while shit blows up and/or collapses beneath you. With Shadow, the balance is a lot more skewed towards exploring, which is great since that's the series defining characteristic, but they stripped out the combat and replaced it with a lot more wanky sidequest filler and story fluff than '13 and Rise. And as such it gets dull at times.

But there's a lot it does right and it deserves credit for it.

Inspector Q

I hated that you had to run around in some dumb native outfit 90% of the game. So the devs finally listened to the complaints about this, but they'll only remove the restriction after you beat the game. It's useless.
Yeah, what an idiotic restriction. I could maybe see it for when you are in the town itself and have to use it as a disguise to get into certain areas, but then the game forces you to wear those shitty outfits even when you are in the middle of the wilderness. Garbage.

Anyway, the entire new trilogy has been quite a big disappointment for me, personally. Thinking about it, there are three main things that I feel need to be greatly improved:

1. Story and Characters.

This has been beaten into the ground at this point, but both the story and characters in this new trilogy have been completely forgettable. In particular, Lara herself has a really bland personality. Just a complete step down from the previous iterations of Lara. Not even going to blame the voice actress when she has nothing to work with and poor writing and directing.

2. Enemy Design.

This is definitely not a problem unique to Tomb Raider, but can we get some decent fucking enemies to fight? 90% of the game consists of you murdering hapless, male, gun toting mooks. They are all fucking retarded. Can we get some enemies who try to sneak up on you? Force you to change up your gameplay style? Constantly stealth killing these worthless idiots gets old and mundane.

I wish more developers used the environment to come up with new ideas for enemy types. In a swamp area? Some massive crocodiles and camouflaged bad guys who pop out of the swamp and try to ambush you. Invading some tribal forest? Enemies hiding in the trees who jump down and ambush you or try to do that same rope noose shit to you that you do to the enemies.

Basically, think of the Souls series. You start with an environment and that should give you some neat ideas for new enemy types and gameplay encounters. Why are these devs so bad at this?

3. Open World Bloat.

This is kind of combined with point number 2. I don't mind some open worlds if the game constantly throws new enemies and encounter designs your way. But if the game is just having you go around the open world performing these filler quests and fighting the same enemy types ad-nauseam, then I am going to get bored quick. It was almost to the point that I was wishing for the return of the early 2013 games QTEs just to break up the goddamn stealth killing/gun toting monotony.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Sorry if I pissed off any fans, but this trilogy was a big disappointment for me. Take care.

Honestly, I've passed enough times on this being dirt cheap that I doubt anything would get me to buy it at this point. Both my wife and I are sick to the back teeth of this miserable git of a poor excuse for a Tomb Raider.

Unless at some point in the future they bring back the fun, independent, self motivated, self assured, intelligent, funny and unapologetically sexy original Lara, the franchise is pretty much dead to me.

Ehh, the new trilogy is better than all that past TR games IMO, your loss.

Anyway, I might double dip the PC version of this when it's super cheap since I gave my Xbox coy to this girl I used to mess with.

Top Bottom