• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider |OT| Welcome to the Jungle

JORMBO

Darkness no more
PuTmUoM.jpg

Developer: Eidos Montreal
Publisher: Square Enix
Platforms: XB1/PS4/Win
Release Date: September 14, 2018
Early Release Date: 48 hour early access for preorder of Digital Deluxe, Croft Edition and Ultimate Edition
Genre: Action-adventure
Mode: Single-player
Price: Standard - $59.99 | Digital Deluxe - $69.99 | Croft Edition - $89.99

fh4puUF.jpg

Story:
Set two months after the events of Rise of the Tomb Raider, the story follows Lara Croft as she ventures through Mesoamerica and South America to the legendary city Paititi, battling the paramilitary organization Trinity and racing to stop a Mayan apocalypse she has unleashed. Lara must traverse the environment and combat enemies with firearms and stealth as she explores semi-open hubs. In these hubs she can raid challenge tombs to unlock new rewards, complete side missions, and scavenge for resources which can be used to craft useful materials.

Features:
  • Combat will include four weapon types: Bow, Pistol, Shotgun and Automatic.
  • Certain gameplay aspects can have their difficulties individually changed: Combat, Puzzles and Traversal.
  • New Game Plus will allow players to unlock three new paths for Lara: Path of the Serpent, Path of the Jaguar, Path of the Eagle. Each will have a different focus. Serpent will focus on stealth. Jaguar will focus on close range combat. Eagle will focus on taking enemies out from far away.
  • Full underwater exploration.
  • Immersion Mode will allow characters speak in their native language rather then use English voices.
  • The biggest hubs ever created in a Tomb Raider game. More challenge tombs then ever before.
  • Unlockable outfits from older games.

8Wum4G0.jpg

ZjVssrB.jpg

ds1B3eY.jpg

HqJntqO.jpg

Work in progress...

Metacritic PS4 - 77
Metacritic XB1 - 83
Opencritic - 81

NeoGAF Review Thread

Review Samples:
IGN - 90
I would have liked a little more incentive to explore the beautiful world Eidos Montreal has created, but I’d much prefer too much content than too little. There’s so much to enjoy elsewhere in a game that’s stuffed to the brim with ideas and devilishly challenging puzzles. I can’t wait to see where Lara goes next.
EGM - 85
As what may be the last hoorah for this particular story arc, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a stereotypical stealth-action game, but one which manages to separate itself from the pack by excelling in everything that makes this genre what it is.
Game Informer - 75
Whether it was a more engaging skill system or a bigger map, I was often left wanting something a bit more — yet, I could play it for hours. As the final game in Lara Croft’s origin story, it just didn’t hit the high note it needed to. Still, that doesn’t mean it’s not a crazy, high-stakes adventure worth taking.
Gamespot - 60
Making the journey to Shadow of the Tomb Raider's peaks is certainly an attractive goal, but like the challenging terrain Lara needs to traverse, the path there is getting rougher and more unpredictable.

40uyOp7.jpg

c2lEH0e.jpg

DNo4H7T.jpg

1PbRbat.jpg

5u3JpdP.jpg

cym7eoL.jpg

x2xslkP.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
NNPHcJ9.png
078dab4f5428d8d08792fd413b2ef5f6.gif
x73LSOh.png

mI1V55j.png

playstation-image.jpg
xbox-image.jpg
pc-image.jpg

Developer: Eidos-Montreal
Publisher: Square Enix
Release date: September 12th (Digital Deluxe Edition // Croft Edition pre-orders); September 14th (GA)

Editions
SOTTR-STEAM-INFOGRAPHIC-EN-616px.png

History

BRtP6H1.png

g7nfayr.png

O8AoyWR.png

Set two months after the events of Rise of the Tomb Raider, its story follows Lara as she ventures through Mesoamerica and South America to the legendary city Paititi, battling the paramilitary organization Trinity and racing to stop a Mayan apocalypse she has unleashed. Lara must traverse the environment and combat enemies with firearms and stealth as she explores semi-open hubs. In these hubs she can raid challenge tombs to unlock new rewards, complete side missions, and scavenge for resources which can be used to craft useful materials.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was designed to conclude Lara's journey begun in the 2013 reboot, with a key theme being descent both through the jungle environment and into her personality. The setting and narrative was based on Mayan and Aztec mythologies, consulting historians to design the architecture and people of Paititi. The gameplay was adjusted based on both fan feedback and the wishes of Eidos Montréal, incorporating swimming and grappling while increasing difficulty tailoring.

Unique difficulty scaling settings

d97d703e5c37edff231172eeda3dc34d.png

Combat
Easy
  • Aim assist enabled
  • Enemies have lower health and do less damage
  • Ammunition boxes are plentiful
  • Enemies have illuminated silhouettes
Normal
  • Enemies have normal health and damage
  • Ammunition boxes are rare
  • Enemies have illuminated silhouettes
Hard
  • Enemies have increased health, do more damage and locate Lara more quickly.
  • No health regeneration in combat
  • Ammunition boxes are rare
  • No hit markers on the reticle
  • Enemies are not highlighted in Survival Instincts
Deadly Obsession
  • Same as hard
  • No HUD icon when Lara is being detected by an enemy

Exploration
Easy
  • Obvious white paint on critical path
  • Longer saving grab timer
  • Base camps are lit
Normal
  • Discreet white paint on critical path
  • Normal saving grab timer
  • Base camps are unlit
Hard
  • No white paint on critical path
  • Reduced saving grab timer
  • No Survival Instincts during exploration
  • Base camps are unlit
Deadly Obsession
  • Same as Hard
  • Base camps are unlit and require resources to light
  • Game only saves at Base camps

97bf5bc6f6243ea149aec6de8c5cebdd.png

Puzzles
Easy
  • Lara gives direct hints on next action to perform
  • Interactable objects are highlighted in Survival Instincts
  • Objects necessary to progress highlighted in blue during Survival Instincts
  • Longer window of opportunity for timed mechanics
Normal
  • Lara gives general hints on the next action to perform
  • Interactable objects are highlighted in Survival Instincts
  • Normal window of opportunity for timed mechanics
Hard/Deadly Obsession
  • No hints are given by Lara
  • No Survival Instincts
  • Shorter window of opportunity for timer mechanics
The Survival Instincts beacon (which highlights the next objective location) and glow (objects Lara can interact with) can also be toggled on or off regardless of difficulty settings, except when on the Deadly Obsession setting.We hope these additions allow more fans than ever to enjoy Tomb Raider.

b4087faaba9c06aa511a687ab982c455.png

Performance

GIFs
Shadow-Tomb-Raider-Temple.gif

giphy.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After seeing all the technical vids and the most excellent launch trailer, decided to plunk down for the Xbox One version. Was gonna wait (since I've got other games I'm gonna finish first) but this looks too good.

Great OT. Looks like a mediocre TR game. Hope that wont stop people from playing it though. I'll wait for the sale. personally speaking.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
interested in hearing about the animals in this game. i love games that have a lot of wildlife that you must contend with. SA jungles sound like they could have a lot of cool stuff.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Really nice OT! I am very much on the fence with picking this up now, but I know if I wait, other games will have my attention for the foreseeable future and this will slip into the nether regions of my backlog. Decision Decisions.... Thanks again for a great OT which make the decision a bit harder :)

The ACG review has me considering this game despite not caring much for the franchise. He said it was a bit less of a shooter and that has me intrigued.

sublimit

Banned
Aw man,i'm sorry to say but there's another OT. Which is a shame since both of you did a lot of work for it. :/

sublimit

Banned
Great job on the OT even if i'm not really interested in the game (i'll buy it when it gets below 20 euros just like i did with Rise)

cormack12

Gold Member
well shit...….oh well, proves GAF is coming back to life now we're getting dupe threads. Don't suppose we can make it second post can we? So they follow on.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
well shit...….oh well, proves GAF is coming back to life now we're getting dupe threads. Don't suppose we can make it second post can we? So they follow on.

We went from struggling for content to too much content. I reported yours to ask if the mods can move it up so the two posts are next to each other.

Edit: thanks mods!!

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Some games struggle to get one OT this gets two lol

IbukiLordSA

Really enjoying the game, runs well and looks absolutely amazing.

I also found it hilarious how good the Angel of Darkness skin looks in the game, it's pretty crazy

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really enjoying the game, runs well and looks absolutely amazing.

I also found it hilarious how good the Angel of Darkness skin looks in the game, it's pretty crazy

That actually does look pretty great. I guess this is the dev's answer to everyone rushing to shit on the new Lara design of the last two games.

IbukiLordSA

There is also a model of TR2 skin but doesn't look anywhere near as good as the AoD one.

I would probably use it through the whole game if the mouth moved during cut scenes.

Darak

I usually play games at the highest difficulty available but I wonder about the lack of saving points in the highest difficulty. That was not fun at all in Rise, the game was obviously designed for a checkpoint system, and the pacing of camp discovery was inconsistent. Other changes in the 'deadly obsession' category look like they will make the game worse, not harder.

The three difficulty selectors are interesting, but I wonder if 'hard puzzles' are actually there. That was not the case in TR and Rise, they were mostly trivial stuff. Same for exploration.

Achievements / trophies based on difficulties?

There is an achievement for completing the game in each difficulty setting, so I'd guess you need to play with Deadly Obsession in everything for platinum/100%.

Okay, pre-loading on X1X. I didn't get the digital deluxe/croft edition for the '48 hour early access'. One thing I did notice though is Amazon digital code says they'll give it to you on 9/14 at 12:00am. But Xbox store says 9/13 at 5pm Pacific. So I just got an Xbox gift card from Amazon and then pre-ordered it on Xbox store to get it a bit earlier. I'm okay with waiting.

odd_hatch

Honestly, looking at the cute little map they've made showing how they're gonna feed us DLCs throughout the months just makes me want to wait for, say, April 2019. Definitive edition on sale.

I don't understand why companies seem to focus so much on DLC instead of bringing the big guns day one. So they're gonna keep the staff working on the game full-time until April? Is this really a good business model? I would rather have no DLCs and get away with the impression the game doesn't come unfinished on release. That, and they could have the now free staff to monitor feedback on the web, since they seem to never have read a single comment regarding the over the top action scenes and much more. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a paying customer.

I'm gonna wait for some feedback about the length of the campaign and if the game resembles more the first iteration, then I'll make my decision.

cormack12

Gold Member
I agree with odd_hatch odd_hatch - seems a bit daft when they've already made the content. I dont mind it if they release a game, then sales and fans are demanding more content. But to hold back content that's already roadmapped seems a bit naughty. I mean if the game under performs then will they just cut it and not develop it?

I understand why they do it. Effectively we're at the £70 game already now and the base games are pared back. And to be honest I do appreciate the tiered pricing. It's almost like a Kickstarter now with prepurchase and preorder content bonuses.

I can't decide whether I'm just conflicted because I feel ripped off. But I know what I'm buying beforehand and it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of that. I rarely buy/play DLC anyway.

odd_hatch

I rarely buy/play DLC anyway.
You have the same problem as me. Who goes back to a game they've finished months ago just to play a 30/60 minute long side mission? Just give me the full content already, because a few months from now I'm not gonna care.

In the super rare cases where I already planned to play the game again I do find it nice, but otherwise...

It also makes even less sense in a game with so much emphasis on cinematography. It's like watching the same movie. You already know what's going to happen. And this type of game also doesn't offer many ways to finish missions, usually things are going to go exactly the same way for everyone, every single time. So there's really no reason to come back.

cormack12

Gold Member
You have the same problem as me. Who goes back to a game they've finished months ago just to play a 30/60 minute long side mission? Just give me the full content already, because a few months from now I'm not gonna care.

Exactly! Once I'm done with a game I like to get rid - even though I'm largely digital, it takes up space. Especially when you have to keep 3/4 installed anyway because they are your multiplayer games or pick up n play. Plus I like the finality of moving on from a game as well. Like, there I've done that, completed, I can move on to another title. Rather than wait 3 months for DLC, forget all the controls and then spend the first portion frustrated. Like the Witcher, largely enjoyed it even with its issues, but never wanted the Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine.

Ironically I downloaded it again a couple of days ago to play through with the 4K updates but haven't touched it yet. And I still won't be buying the DLC :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
To you who have played it on One X - if the input lag noticeable?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I just got an email from Amazon saying my order was damaged and will be refunded. Good thing I took off to play :(

Edit: Grabbing the digital version. I called Amazon and the rep said they get so many complaints about AMZL shipping they have a form they can submit for people that will always use another carrier besides them. Amazing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT!

I'm looking forward to this, but won't buy for a bit since I just got Spider-Man and am swamped with work after a vacation and in the process of moving houses. I'll probably grab it in an inevitable Black Friday sale. I loved the first too so I'm pretty stoked to pay this--was just more hyped for Spider-Man.

Honestly, looking at the cute little map they've made showing how they're gonna feed us DLCs throughout the months just makes me want to wait for, say, April 2019. Definitive edition on sale.

I don't understand why companies seem to focus so much on DLC instead of bringing the big guns day one. So they're gonna keep the staff working on the game full-time until April? Is this really a good business model? I would rather have no DLCs and get away with the impression the game doesn't come unfinished on release. That, and they could have the now free staff to monitor feedback on the web, since they seem to never have read a single comment regarding the over the top action scenes and much more. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a paying customer.

I'm gonna wait for some feedback about the length of the campaign and if the game resembles more the first iteration, then I'll make my decision.
The game is on average 15 hours without alot of the other side content. That is a very health length for a game. The game has to come out at some point I don't really see a problem giving fans of the game more content later down the road. Its not like EA where they literally cut content out of the game.

odd_hatch

I don't really see a problem giving fans of the game more content later down the road.
I'll have to wait and see exactly what these 7 tombs entail that makes it worth it coming back for more. Last time I liked a DLC was Fallout 4's Far Harbour, which was big enough to have a reason to go back. Oh and Zero Dawn's DLC too.

Caayn

Immersion Mode will allow characters speak in their native language rather then use English voices.
Nice, just found this setting in the menu. Really adds to the feeling of an area.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Really enjoying it so far. The jungle is amazing looking. The Tomb Raider 2 Lara you can play with looks hilarious.

Top Bottom