• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider |OT| Welcome to the Jungle

lukilladog

Man this game is hilarious... like how did they document the folklore for "dia de los muertos", from james bond movie?, or why is she screaming all the time like she is getting stabbed, and are these supposed to be Jaguars?, can´t be, these are gigantic and they don´t hunt in group. And why use a real archeological location and misrepresent it like this?, invent a new one lol.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Man this game is hilarious... like how did they document the folklore for "dia de los muertos", from james bond movie?, or why is she screaming all the time like she is getting stabbed, and are these supposed to be Jaguars?, can´t be, these are gigantic and they don´t hunt in group. And why use a real archeological location and misrepresent it like this?, invent a new one lol.
Um.....its a game bro? Not Wild Kingdom...

I love fiction and fantasy, but I hate when they ruin it with absurdity.

"In Mexico, where jaguars are still believed to number in the thousands, there has not been a single jaguar attack (vs. a human) reported in the wild. Never. "

https://www.quora.com/How-do-jaguars-attack-humans
Seriously? Dude its a fantasy game why would you NOT want to fight a jaguar? Guess we will take out all the deadly traps and fully functional mechanisms for leobrate puzzels too.

Jebral

So... When I got to the first base camp, I decided to change clothes just to goof around. Now my standard outfit is gone. Has this happened to anyone else? PC version. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious, but.... Seems I only have access to all the bonus stuff.

Edit: Painfully and stupidly obvious. It's only in the enormous chunk of screen real estate that lets you choose upper and lower body right below all the bonus stuff. How embarrassing.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Seriously? Dude its a fantasy game why would you NOT want to fight a jaguar? Guess we will take out all the deadly traps and fully functional mechanisms for leobrate puzzels too.

Because even fantasy and fiction needs context. Otherwise it pushes the whole thing from fictional to weird, even cocker spaniels are more willing to fight you, it´s absurd... like locating mayan ruins in South America, it´s absurd, there were no mayans in South America. Who writes this stuff?.

Last edited:
Because even fantasy and fiction needs context. Otherwise it pushes the whole thing from fictional to weird, even cocker spaniels are more willing to fight you, it´s absurd... like locating mayan ruins in South America, it´s absurd, there were no mayans in South America, who writes this stuff?.
I dont think you have played a tomb raider game before

odd_hatch

I guess not, I just saw the giant foxes :messenger_dizzy:
Well, the series is known for having dinosaurs living at the same time as humans, so no logic consistency there.
But I also like when things are plausible even in fiction. It is more immersive. Going too over the top risks the game not being taken seriously.

sertopico

Maybe you need a TR where La(u)ra has to dodge shit thrown by monkeys, put some anti mosquito spray on and get diarrhea for eating something nasty.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I like how the game has been focus on exploring, tombs and platforming. At least after the first five hours or so there has not been a ton of combat like the previous games. The few people I have had to fight I have killed using stealth.

onlyoneno1

I hope this going to be an excellent end to the trilogy. I hope there is an epic ending moment that leaves a satisfying feeling for the old fans of the series.

lukilladog

Well, the series is known for having dinosaurs living at the same time as humans, so no logic consistency there.
But I also like when things are plausible even in fiction. It is more immersive. Going too over the top risks the game not being taken seriously.

I think you can have all sorts of crazy impossible stuff in fantasy-fiction games, but you need to set some background for them to be congruent. Too bad because game mechanics are also weird.

sublimit

Banned
I hope this going to be an excellent end to the trilogy. I hope there is an epic ending moment that leaves a satisfying feeling for the old fans of the series.
When you say "old fans" you obviously mean the ones from the 2013 Reboot and onwards right?

Last edited:

linker

Neo Member
I'm an old fan and I'd like to ask the guys who have the game a question:
If i played the first reboot trilogy and somewhat enjoyed it, Anniversary and Underworld a lot more than Legend, and played the first reboot and didn't like it because i found the shooting kinda boring, i disliked the lack of puzzles and really didn't enjoy the writing, is there any hope I like Rise and Shadow? Or, to put it in a clearer fashion, do they do something more to appeal to me? For the record, I'd enjoy the reboot more if it had more indepth platforming, or better and more frequent brain teasers, with a slightly better cover shooting. If the story is as bad i don't care as much, even though I found old Lara much more fun on screen.

Last edited:

CatCouch

I'm enjoying it so far! Love the costumes from the previous games being available. I'm playing the game using the "desert tank" since it feels the most like "Tomb Raider" to me. Using the survivor skin really shows how much has changed since 2013.

Shadow is off to a good start for me, though. Fun platforming and far less shooting than I expected. I'm digging the underwater exploration. The setting is more interesting to me than Rise (mud is a nice replacement for snow) and the plot does a solid job of grabbing me in the early hours.

Lara is still pretty boring, though. I really liked her '13 design. She seems to get more bland with each game. I seriously thankful for all these costumes!

xrnzaaas

The
Rambo
level later in the game really feels out of place. The game is best when you're actually exploring uncharted locations (wink wink), not when you turn into
a one woman killing machine who spits out f words

Okay, pre-loading on X1X. I didn't get the digital deluxe/croft edition for the '48 hour early access'. One thing I did notice though is Amazon digital code says they'll give it to you on 9/14 at 12:00am. But Xbox store says 9/13 at 5pm Pacific. So I just got an Xbox gift card from Amazon and then pre-ordered it on Xbox store to get it a bit earlier. I'm okay with waiting.

Lame, quoting myself because I got home and saw an update for it for 1gig, then the time changed to 9/13 (today) at 6pm, instead of 5pm. At first it still had pre-ordered listed, then I go to the store and it said 9/13 @ 5pm, then an upload loaded, then it changed to 6pm. Odd. Guess I gotta wait 30 minutes.

Stuart360

Were Digital Foundry right about it being less action and more puzzles?. I'm only asking because i am one of the 2 or 3 people which actually liked the more action orientated Tomb Raidr we got in the reboots. I'm also dense and useless at puzzles lol.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Were Digital Foundry right about it being less action and more puzzles?. I'm only asking because i am one of the 2 or 3 people which actually liked the more action orientated Tomb Raidr we got in the reboots. I'm also dense and useless at puzzles lol.

Yes it is more exploration and puzzle solving oriented then the last two games. There is less combat.

Nice, it's unlocked now on Xbox store for the standard edition. Jumping in.

Edit: Awesome so far. I love it. Looks awesome on the X1X as expected.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yes it is more exploration and puzzle solving oriented then the last two games. There is less combat.

Aw. Pre ordered it, but I’m going through RotTR now and missed combat from the first. Weird they changed the gameplay that much.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I have it coming today, but my wife selfishly bought me tickets to see League Of Gentlemen Live on the same night, what an awful life I lead... So I'll be hammering it tomorrow :)

Thiagosc777

Not sure if it is because I was playing COD right before jumping into Tomb Raider, but the controls feel sluggish (playing on the X1X).

Also, this game implements something that all games should implement: in the hard difficulty no objects are highlighted in the survival instincts vision. This helps the immersion a lot. Objects shining in video games always break the immersion.

sublimit

Banned
Not exclusively, I mean the even older ones who love this trilogy too.

I have been a fan of the series since 1998. And i have been a member of the biggest TR forum since 2005. So let me tell you that the majority of old fans have either moved on long ago or heavily dislike the newer games. And it's very natural and logical since the essence and idea behind the new ones is completely different from the old ones.

The majority of people who like the newer games are either fans from the Reboot and onwards or people who were too young to properly experience and understand the appeal of the classic TR gameplay.

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

I have been a fan of the series since 1998. And i have been a member of the biggest TR forum since 2005. So let me tell you that the majority of old fans have either moved on long ago or heavily dislike the newer games. And it's very natural and logical since the essence and idea behind the new ones is completely different from the old ones.

The majority of people who like the newer games are either fans from the Reboot and onwards or people who were too young to properly experience and understand the appeal of the classic TR gameplay.

I have been playing the series since the PS1 and I love the old Tomb Raider games more because of the puzzles and platforming. But I like the new games too because of their fun gameplay (Bow) and action. I heavily miss the puzzles and platforming but that does not mean the new games are bad. I enjoy them a lot and I am sure there must be other fans who enjoy them both.

Xenon

I got a chance to start this yesterday on my X. The graphics are insanely good with lots of small details and effects. Seeing this in HDR makes everything so vibrant and adds a feeling of being there, especially the night scene at the festival of the dead. I spend more time that I usually would going over all the lettle touches they added.

I'm playing on Combat normal with the rest hard to remove all the cues. Soooooo glad they put this in. Not having my eyes immediately drawn towards a path adds to the immersion and forces me to survey everything... LOVE IT! Im trying to avoid using focus at all on this play through, especially since I have combat set to normal. Highlighting which enemies are isolated from the sight of others is flat out cheating to me. The combat itself is rough, Lara is not the killing machine she's been in the other games. In one area I blew my stealth kill and was forced to fight two well armed solders(fishnet masks) and several other local henchman. After failing to survive a number of attempts of holding my ground and trying to take them out, I was able to get through it by falling back and taking them out as the came to me. Not as easy as it sounds because they took different paths and loved using Molotov Cocktails. But I was ok with this because she was outnumbered and enjoyed having to think a little bit.

As far as level traversal and movement, It's good but seems just a little less smooth than Rise. It's early in the game and so far it seems to limit things until they are introduced.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. Tomb Raider is one of the few games I by day one, just to support the franchise.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I finished this today. I think it is the best game of the new trilogy. The focus on exploring and puzzles feels more Tomb Raiderish then the last two games. The story was ok. Nothing special, but about what I would expect from TR. The side characters were all forgettable. The individual difficulty sliders are a great addition.

I still have a few tombs to find. The few I did find so far were all really well done.

That came with the croft edition?

I have the standard edition and I have it as well. The notification I got was "Thanks for playing (something like) the past Tomb Raider games, here's some outfits" basically. I think it's linked to your Square-Enix account for playing the Tomb Raider reboot and Rise, not sure what combination. And I played those mostly on PC, just Rise a bit on X1X because of Gamepass, and I got them all. (Angel of Darkness, and PC/PS1 outfit, along with the PC/PS1 bomber jacket one)

dottme

I’m just starting but I’m enjoying the beginning of the game. This is not my final feeling, but the game is really good for the moment. However, the acting is Ok-ish. It does the job but it is not great.

drotahorror

So I started out on the hardest difficulty (I also played the DLC difficulty in RotTR for my first time). I had been playing about 80min, then I died to something stupid and had to start back at the first killing human encounter. I'd been playing super cautious as well, feelsbad. There are a couple checkpoints though, so don't let that deter you. There's a checkpoint after the intro part (it will start at the first human encounter). And a checkpoint after the large group of humans. I like how you have to use medkits because your health doesn't regen. Unfortunately, it never tells you how to use one, so I was hitting every button during one of the encounters til I figured it out.

Play on the hardest difficulty. It really puts you on your toes and not want to make mistakes.

Last edited:

xVodevil

Pulled an impulse buy on this one. Actually I was planning end of the year maybe, but what the hell... After 1 hour or so I'm in the first puzzle cave. Decided to go with almost maxed out graphics / 30fps cap on my 2500K and GTX970, damn this game looks fine!!

Urge to buy is rising.

I'm still knee-deep into Spider-Man though, must resist for now.

EDIT: just saw the Jimpression for this...not really good. And Sterling's opinions generally resonate very well with mines.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Urge to buy is rising.

I'm still knee-deep into Spider-Man though, must resist for now.

EDIT: just saw the Jimpression for this...not really good. And Sterling's opinions generally resonate very well with mines.

To be honest hes being overly nitpicky and dismissive here.

The game has issues but when you're not killing things or dealing with the godawful story and characters it's actually kind of great for the most part. If this team didnt have all the baggage Crystal Dynamics saddled them with this could have been a really promising start for a new Tomb Raider series.

sublimit

Banned
To be honest hes being overly nitpicky and dismissive here.

The game has issues but when you're not killing things or dealing with the godawful story and characters it's actually kind of great for the most part. If this team didnt have all the baggage Crystal Dynamics saddled them with this could have been a really promising start for a new Tomb Raider series.
Only if they make a new game engine that gives emphasis to precise and completely manual controls that allow the player to calculate his movements and interact with the environments in a consistent non-scripted way. And then they also need to prove they have the talent and imagination to make an actual fun game that gives true freedom and control back to the player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom