• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider |OT| Welcome to the Jungle

Zewp

So now that it's been out a while, what's the general consensus? Steam reviews seem a bit more positive than paid reviewers.

I didn't intend to buy it, but I finished Spiderman and I'm looking for something to fill the gap until AC Odyssey. Will this do it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been on vacation and just got back yesterday - now I'm back to working crazy hours. But I'm definitely still looking forward to diving in to this one!

Something seems off with the HDR adjustment... I cannot get the rectangle box to go uniformly white and the black levels don't look very deep.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone think the game looks flat and washed out? I mess with the gamma setting and it just make too dark or worse.
Rise wasn't like this.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So now that it's been out a while, what's the general consensus? Steam reviews seem a bit more positive than paid reviewers.

I didn't intend to buy it, but I finished Spiderman and I'm looking for something to fill the gap until AC Odyssey. Will this do it?

I think it's a solid 8.5. it's 90 percent puzzles this time, so if you're looking for a lot of combat this isn't it.

Gediminas

Banned
game is good by overall, but there is some problems, which need them to fix, like Lara's personality and writing. too much of the damn collectables - 350 or so, are you kidding me? better build more tombs and challenges, challenge player. i like this game, started my second playthrough for platinum. gameplay is pretty good, so no need to reinvent the bicycle again. and come on, craft some solid story, longer one, more grounded.

kizito

In regards to the complaints about incorrect facts like mayan ruins in Peru, the game acknowledges that when you speak with a local in Kuwaq Yaqu (sorry no idea of how to write that), like 3 hours into the game. The Peruvian girl doesn't understand why Lara is looking for mayan stuff and says it is probably from the Incas.

Cheap way of acknowledging the "problem", but in a series of games with fights against dead samouraïs, dinosaurs etc... It didn't actually bother me at all.

Aside of that, I am enjoying the game way more than expected, good optimisation on pc and the focus on puzzles make it refreshing. I also find platforming way superior to Uncharted which is more like "press one button for awesome" and is way too assisted. Of course sometimes it's not very precise, but at least in this game I actually need to look where I am going to jump and nut just smashing the jump button. Also, the game looks super gorgeous most of the time, I don't get the mixed reviews (although the writing is so-so, but that's the case for many games).

Last edited:

KAOS

Loving the game more than the previous ones! The game looks great on X!

h3GmrjX.jpg

DAPQudv.jpg

Neolombax

This game already sounds better than Rise of the tomb raider. But I think I'll wait for the definitve edition with all the DLC's.

drotahorror

Anyone think the game looks flat and washed out? I mess with the gamma setting and it just make too dark or worse.
Rise wasn't like this.

On PC I think the game is very vibrant with deep colors. I'm on a VA monitor though, known for it's contrast and dark blacks. This game is dark on my monitor though but I feel like the other colors pop because of it. A lot of games are darker than normal on my monitor though. I don't think I'll ever go for another panel, VA for life.

drotahorror

The frustration in this game just doesn't end. The first time I got here, I had no issue with this jump, she did what she was supposed to. Now 30min later and I can do this jump maybe 20% of the time. 4 out of 5x it fails. I made it all the way through this area without dying but then I died to something that was my fault. I'm so glad I lit up a campfire in an optional tomb. Otherwise I'd be restarting a good 20-30min of progress.

Without further ado :

This time I got lucky and somehow managed to land it

I made it through the whole area and I was supposed to follow Unuratu, but instead of crossing the bridge, she just plants herself and I can't get around her

Obviously, I now have to quit and restart at the last campfire I saved at.

Back to this part again - I tried to get as close to the edge as possible and wait for her tell where she reaches for the ledge.

This time I manage to latch on to something that I wasn't supposed to yet

Should be smooth sailing from here as long as the NPC doesn't bug out but unfortunately I missed a challenge skeleton thing, so I decided to go back the exact way I came

I have some shit luck with this game. I've never had these kind of issues with the previous Tomb Raiders or the Uncharted series. Two of my favorite series. Feelsbadman

Darak

I have some shit luck with this game. I've never had these kind of issues with the previous Tomb Raiders or the Uncharted series.

I remember having those exact problems you show in video. The camera angle makes it so sometimes she won't jump towards the intended direction despite your input being mostly the same. In addition, there are multiple instances of platforming paths where you can't go back because the triggers are just not there and Lara won't grab the platforms or ceiling in the other direction.

The part in your first video was one of my worst experiences in Deadly Obsession, I almost quit the game there because it is followed by 20 minutes of unskippable walking and cutscenes and then a pretty hard combat encounter which I had to repeat multiple times. There is also a crypt nearby which I had to redo multiple times because you have no way to save after you do it, you're dumped into the mentioned walking/combat sequence.

drotahorror

I remember having those exact problems you show in video. The camera angle makes it so sometimes she won't jump towards the intended direction despite your input being mostly the same. In addition, there are multiple instances of platforming paths where you can't go back because the triggers are just not there and Lara won't grab the platforms or ceiling in the other direction.

The part in your first video was one of my worst experiences in Deadly Obsession, I almost quit the game there because it is followed by 20 minutes of unskippable walking and cutscenes and then a pretty hard combat encounter which I had to repeat multiple times. There is also a crypt nearby which I had to redo multiple times because you have no way to save after you do it, you're dumped into the mentioned walking/combat sequence.

Yeah I'm on Deadly Obsession as well. Luckily there's a Tomb with a base before you start doing the platforming:

But every time I failed, I had to run from that base, it wasn't too bad. It was 1:30 seconds to get to the first platforming. I saved before going to that one chick's cell and then after she crossed the bridge I ran back down there to save again cuz I was not repeating that shit again. It's not even hard, it's just janky and inconsistent.

Last edited:

Darak

But every time I failed, I had to run from that base, it wasn't too bad. It was 1:30 seconds to get to the first platforming. I saved before going to that one chick's cell and then after she crossed the bridge I ran back down there to save again cuz I was not repeating that shit again. It's not even hard, it's just janky and inconsistent.

You can go back and save at that point? Damn, I never figured that. I also saved in the tomb, but was stuck here for two hours or so. Every time I died in combat I had to repeat that platforming, the rescue, the escape, the 10 minutes cutscene/walking section after that, another buggy platforming section after that (where you can't die fortunately) and finally the combat. I wish I had known I could save after the rescue.

drotahorror

You can go back and save at that point? Damn, I never figured that. I also saved in the tomb, but was stuck here for two hours or so. Every time I died in combat I had to repeat that platforming, the rescue, the escape, the 10 minutes cutscene/walking section after that, another buggy platforming section after that (where you can't die fortunately) and finally the combat. I wish I had known I could save after the rescue.

Yea I tried it cuz I figured if she bugs out I'm just gonna quit the game and uninstall.

What's the deal with this part?
*nvm dunno what I did different (nothing?) but it worked this time.

And damn that cutscene was fuckin sick. Easily the best cutscene in the game.

Last edited:

Darak

And damn that cutscene was fuckin sick. Easily the best cutscene in the game.

Well, I didn't like it, but being forced to watch it five times in a row was a factor. I don't like forced walking sections and the premise made little sense to me
(one of the most famous persons in the area and a complete stranger blend with no issues just because they dress like guards, despite every other guard in the city being male, and despite the fact that one of them speaks a foreign language)

drotahorror

Well, I didn't like it, but being forced to watch it five times in a row was a factor. I don't like forced walking sections and the premise made little sense to me
(one of the most famous persons in the area and a complete stranger blend with no issues just because they dress like guards, despite every other guard in the city being male, and despite the fact that one of them speaks a foreign language)

I think we're on a diff scene here. I didn't go into any detail that's my bad, it was pertaining to my 'nvm' comment.

The part where the oil refinery is blowing up, you fall in the water and she pops out the river and goes ham

Scene in question, DONT WATCH IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS

Last edited:

Darak

I think we're on a diff scene here. I didn't go into any detail that's my bad, it was pertaining to my 'nvm' comment.

The part where the oil refinery is blowing up, you fall in the water and she pops out the river and goes ham

Sorry about that. I'll agree then, that scene is probably the best one in the game. I'm not sure if I'm particularly fond of this version of Lara, but at least it is consistent with the gameplay.

drotahorror

Sorry about that. I'll agree then, that scene is probably the best one in the game. I'm not sure if I'm particularly fond of this version of Lara, but at least it is consistent with the gameplay.

I actually just wish there was very minimal story telling. It's all so mediocre to bad that a simple plot with less dialogue would have been a better route.

And I don't like the scene I linked because I feel it's a good direction for Lara, because it's not really. In fact, they kind of just drop that mentality as soon as it's over. So her character doesn't actually change at all. They could have done something with it though, but they just don't have the writers for it.

I'm so close to the end now, all documents/relics/tombs/crypts, completed. I died in the
jesus light room
and thought I would just pick it up tomorrow. It's a really good game marred by some inconsistent controls and bad writing. The level design and art was top notch imo. And those are really important to me in a game like this.

Also, Deadly Obsession is WAY harder than the Extreme Survivor DLC difficulty in Rise.

Last edited:

Darak

The level design and art was top notch imo.

I found level design to be pretty mediocre IMO. Combat/stealth sections in particular are a considerable downgrade compared to Rise or reboot (too small, too crowded, poor recon/visibility options for stealth, poor defensive options for combat, need to rely on scripted AI movements based on player trigger boxes, etc). Platforming areas are also not well thought, they rely too much on camera automation and weird angles, which work against the automated jump/grab mechanic and results in some of the issues you've shown. Traversal/town sections are great but there is not much level design going on there because there is not much gameplay either. They are just about pacing and pacing is not good (playing in DO may skew my perception, but I don't think combat/platforming/puzzles/narrative are well paced at all, there are way too long stretches of any one of those components with no breaks).

The art is awesome, though. If you value level design as a visual thing then I have nothing to say.

I actually just wish there was very minimal story telling. It's all so mediocre to bad that a simple plot with less dialogue would have been a better route.

I'll agree 100%. I had extremely low expectations in this regard so it didn't bother me, but all the narrative since the reboot has been a dumpster fire. It is just bloated, the game is full of pickups, dialogue, walking sections and cutscenes, and they simply don't have the the skills to pull it off. A minimalistic story would also enhance the gameplay. Having Lara stop every two minutes to call Jonah because she just climbed some stairs or entered some cave breaks the pace and serves no purpose (Lara should also drop those Marcus Fenix influences and learn to run and talk to the radio at the same time).

I wish modern games in general would stop with the ear radio tropes. I hate having all those NPCs following me from the shadows, why can't I just explore and experience the game world on my own?

drotahorror

I found level design to be pretty mediocre IMO. Combat/stealth sections in particular are a considerable downgrade compared to Rise or reboot (too small, too crowded, poor recon/visibility options for stealth, poor defensive options for combat, need to rely on scripted AI movements based on player trigger boxes, etc). Platforming areas are also not well thought, they rely too much on camera automation and weird angles, which work against the automated jump/grab mechanic and results in some of the issues you've shown. Traversal/town sections are great but there is not much level design going on there because there is not much gameplay either. They are just about pacing and pacing is not good (playing in DO may skew my perception, but I don't think combat/platforming/puzzles/narrative are well paced at all, there are way too long stretches of any one of those components with no breaks).

The art is awesome, though. If you value level design as a visual thing then I have nothing to say.

I'm talking about the Tombs and the way each area is connected and the different means of traversing them. The execution on the traversal was not good though, and that's due to faulty controls. The platforming is very unpolished, but the way everything was laid out, I thought was good as long as traversing them worked as intended. I feel like the most of the tombs and environments are much ahead of Rise. It's just the controls and how inconsistent everything felt when jumping. I never knew if I was going to make a jump or not because Lara has a mind of her own.

The combat sections, not so much. I thought at the beginning they were ok, but towards the end now they're just squads of armored foes with shotguns. Also the madness arrow or w/e it is, seems to no longer worked? I lost 15min of time because for 2 separate attempts I tried to use it and it never worked. This is the encounters after the
jesus crucifixion puzzle
. It straight up never worked against them and then I had to take a 5min trek back to get to them again.

All the slow walking/talking really does ruin a lot of things. The underwater part at the part I just mentioned above, I counted 45 seconds of me not really controlling Lara as she squeezed through tight areas very slowly. It's very irritating when you have to replay that shit.

I bet this game didn't do too well and we're about to see a pretty long break from the series. I'd love to see Tomb Raider Anniversary 2 or something like that, we don't even need an entirely new game. A remake of part 2 or even 1 again with redesigned puzzles would be fine.

Last edited:

Darak

I bet this game didn't do too well and we're about to see a pretty long break from the series. I'd love to see Tomb Raider Anniversary 2 or something like that, we don't even need an entirely new game. A remake of part 2 or even 1 again with redesigned puzzles would be fine.

I loved Anniversary, but unfortunately it was a commercial failure. If I'm not mistaken it was the worst selling entry in the entire main series, worse than Angel of Darkness or Chronicles, so I think there is little chance of ever seeing something similar. You should check the fan-made Dagger of Xian demo if you haven't done so, though. It's a great example of what Anniversary 2 could have been.

About Shadow, it's still early, but it looks like it is selling similar numbers compared to Rise. Not good (low compared to TR2013 and Rise was an Xbox exclusive) but it's probably good enough to see another sequel. A return to the roots is out of the question IMHO, since the new games sell better than any other TR before.

drotahorror

I loved Anniversary, but unfortunately it was a commercial failure. If I'm not mistaken it was the worst selling entry in the entire main series, worse than Angel of Darkness or Chronicles, so I think there is little chance of ever seeing something similar. You should check the fan-made Dagger of Xian demo if you haven't done so, though. It's a great example of what Anniversary 2 could have been.

About Shadow, it's still early, but it looks like it is selling similar numbers compared to Rise. Not good (low compared to TR2013 and Rise was an Xbox exclusive) but it's probably good enough to see another sequel. A return to the roots is out of the question IMHO, since the new games sell better than any other TR before.

I mean I hope Shadow does fine and no one loses their job over it. Even if all we get is more Lara in these iterations of the series, I'm still down as I love the genre. And yeah, Anniversary was great. It was the best out of the other trilogy. I enjoyed Legend and Underworld as well.

I haven't bought Shadow yet. As someone who loved the previous two Tomb Raider games, but doesn't care for Uncharted at all, will I still like Shadow? Or did the new developer butcher it?

I'm not happy that they changed her face and took away her sexy outfits.

Also the combat in the last two games was already perfect for me. To compare, I don't like the feel of the combat in Uncharted. I've read a few people saying Shadow is more like Uncharted than the last two games.
I've always been a big Tomb Raider fan, and while I enjoyed the last two in the series they kind of lost my interest Midway through. While I am only one hour in with shadow, the graphics and environment and redefined combat mechanics have hooked me much more than the last two entries for whatever that's worth. I personally dig the new lower model and if this game continues like it has so far it could be the best one in the series for me

J3nga

My godness the gunplay is straight up trash especially shotgun, one of the worst i’ve ever seen in a triple A title, zero impact, feels like you’re spraying from the sprayer for the flowers.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
just finished the game, didn't like the overhang climbing bits but enjoyed the game overall. not to many gun battle bits and the stealthy bits were a bit to long. liked the game and hope there is more to come but if they rebooted it and moved forward there be no complaints from me either

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
One of the best looking games out there. 4k HDR on this game is incredible

Those shots don't show it that. Looks like a plastic person in front of a matte paintings. 4k and HDR is not what makes games look good. I'm sure it looks good in action though at any res.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ya know the more I play the more I'm learning towards this being the best one yet
Rise had parts where it shines but this seems improves on that.
And yes there is less combat but it is definitely better in this one

sertopico

Llamas... Deadly creatures. They could spit and carve a hole in your head. Did you get the exxxclusive Llama fur coat after killing them?

Thiagosc777

I am on my second playthrough for achievements, final verdict: a 6/10 game. It's 80% exploration, 15% puzzles and 5% action.

Besides the man with no dick and the many ancient cultures thousands of kilometers apart mixed together, the other extremely annoying problem is the loading.

Oh my God, this game has so much loading! In theory you can skip cutscenes, but it has to finish loading before it cuts and sometimes it never ends. Just arrived in Paititi and the game stayed loading forever until the cutscene ended. Not to mention the many times Lara starts walking slowly for no reason other than disguising loading.

Unskippable cutscenes and slow walking sections should be forbidden in games. It kills replayability!

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Really stupid question but in the very first scene is she working her up to the secret cave or has she fallen down a trap while in the cave?

It's not clear and bugged me how she started randomly in a hole 😂

Really loving the game so far. Tombs are excellent! Water sections are impressive and probably the best in any game I have played.

TFGB

Just paid 50 quid for this and gutted that I might not be able to play it due to my motion sickness. I normally only suffer with first person view, but the camera seems to have an odd wide angle that’s triggering my nausea.

I noticed it instantly when I first took control of Lara, then by the time I was walking around the first area where everyone is wearing face masks, I had to stop and turn the game off. Turning off camera shake had no effect either, and tried it both with resolution and framerate priorities (PS4 Pro).

I was so looking forward to playing this too. 😔 Will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

TFGB

Got over the motion sickness and finally got the Plat.

An excellent game, but some real rage inducing moments on the Deathly Obsession run. The controller almost went out the window I can tell ye!

Darak

Looks like the first DLC, The Forge, will release on November 13, one month later than the original announcement. Judging by previews it has a strict co-op focus, with puzzles being designed for two people and a chunk of the map being unavailable in single player mode. I find this somewhat surprising. Co-op was announced from the beginning but I thought it would be just some kind of extra.

It's not as if I was expecting much from the DLC, as I didn't find the game's tombs neither long nor particularly good.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah this is really good. the intro is short, rather than some overlong cinematic, it put you in a tutorial and you get right to Tomb Raiding. the story so far is passable faux archeology with minimal Trinity talk and im down for both. the tombs are excellent, the graphics are wonderful, the toolset/puzzle solving is a lot of fun. Lara is climbing the fuck out of these tombs. for all the failing this series has delivered some incredible cinematic landscapes. many of the tombs, fortresses, and ruins have Hollywood-level (and beyond) attention to detail and art direction. at the very least the games outmatch anything in Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skull.

Last edited:

Zewp

Already a 34-47% discount for the game on Steam. >.>

Yeah, it was on sale for 27% off on EU PSN last week as well.

Sales must be very bad so far. Not that I'm surprised, to be honest. The most flattering thing I can say about the game is "it's average".

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I like it but I feel like it's in a resident evil style predicament where fans want different things now. I miss all the fighting/gun play and where there wasn't as many collectables that stop the flow of the game.

Those that wanted more puzzles/adventure I imagine there really happy now. Haven't finished yet but for me it's 2013 thats by far the best and then rise and shadow joint second. Still good games, just not great.

Similar to the pacing of Uncharted 2/3 to 4 I'd imagine. Each still enjoyable but very different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom