• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider |OT| Welcome to the Jungle

I played the demo the other day and it was exactly the game I thought it would be.

It's polished from a graphical POV and from a general gameplay/control one too. But the game lacks authenticity of the great Tomb Raider name.

Forced narrative, forced tension, weak characterisations, big explosions, bigger explosions, set piece after set piece on a linear rail so linear it makes Uncharted feel like an open world game.

The first of the reboots was a decent game if not what I wanted from a TR game. Rise got worse and now, from the demo at least, it appears Shadow has followed the downward path.

Certainly the demo hasn't convinced me to buy the game even at £25 in the Xmas sales. Maybe at £19.99 I'll take a punt finally.

Sorry fans of it. Just my opinion. :)
Demo is very misleading. Only the biggining of the game is linear. I promise you it is way more open ended than Uncharted 4 and I have played both

Sygma

I played the demo the other day and it was exactly the game I thought it would be.

It's polished from a graphical POV and from a general gameplay/control one too. But the game lacks authenticity of the great Tomb Raider name.

Forced narrative, forced tension, weak characterisations, big explosions, bigger explosions, set piece after set piece on a linear rail so linear it makes Uncharted feel like an open world game.

The first of the reboots was a decent game if not what I wanted from a TR game. Rise got worse and now, from the demo at least, it appears Shadow has followed the downward path.

Certainly the demo hasn't convinced me to buy the game even at £25 in the Xmas sales. Maybe at £19.99 I'll take a punt finally.

Sorry fans of it. Just my opinion. :)

its a pretty terrible game outside the tombs yeah. Like, one of the best parts of it is the stealth stuff and you're getting some for like what, 30 mins total combined from beginning to the very end ?

Instead they focused on gunplay encounters versus the most generic monsters you can find outside Metro 2033, and they literally have maybe 3 different kind of attacks, but all share the same animations.

Like had they made this game a 8 hours ride with some speedrun focused trophies and whatnot from the get go it would have been much better

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
When graphics are more important than a fun game............

lol. I only got around to finishing Rise of the Tomb Raider last summer (2.7 years after release). If one of the few games that supports RTX will eventually get it there are plenty of other fun games out there. I wish I had the free time to play every game in the month it was released but at this point I'm lucky if it's within a year (doesn't help when so many games are fluffed up with time sinks)

Froschi

This has got to be the dumbest game I've ever played. Not from a gameplay point of view - it's pretty much exactly the same as the reboot and RotTR. But the story. The story just kills me. And I've only played about an hour so far. I really don't know if I can go on from here because the level of stupidity, assholery and general lack of any kind of credibility showed here in abundance really destroys my every brain cell. So she grabs that mystical dagger that everyone, including her very much dead father, told her NOT TO TOUCH WITH A 10KM POLE, because, well, fuck that shit, what do they know? This releases the apocalypse, around her people simply drop dead, lose all of their belongings, everything goes to the shits - and her reaction is like "Oh well, I hope I didn't cause too much trouble. What's done is done. Where's the next clue?"

Who wrote this shit? How is it possible that after the beer coaster's worth of story in TR and RotTR they managed to be EVEN LESS believable? How can it be that Jonah is the single voice of empathy here while Lara doesn't give one rat's fuck about all the people she doomed because of her stupidity? Everything goes down the drain only because the's a fucking sociopath who simply doesn't care what she's doing - she only cares about the next clue, because Trinity. And not to mention the endless "Got to! Have to! Must do!" that Lara moans out at every corner. Holy shit, girl, how about showing a bit of free will?

I really don't know if I can go on. I kind of like the gameplay, and from a technical point of view this one is once again a bag of amazement. But the level of stupidity presented here, and the kind of "person" they wrote Lara to be is really despicable. Does it get any better from here or am I going to be any more frustrated by continuing to play?

I just can't believe that someone sat down, wrote this and said "Oh yeah, that's the stuff!"

This has got to be the dumbest game I've ever played. Not from a gameplay point of view - it's pretty much exactly the same as the reboot and RotTR. But the story. The story just kills me. And I've only played about an hour so far. I really don't know if I can go on from here because the level of stupidity, assholery and general lack of any kind of credibility showed here in abundance really destroys my every brain cell. So she grabs that mystical dagger that everyone, including her very much dead father, told her NOT TO TOUCH WITH A 10KM POLE, because, well, fuck that shit, what do they know? This releases the apocalypse, around her people simply drop dead, lose all of their belongings, everything goes to the shits - and her reaction is like "Oh well, I hope I didn't cause too much trouble. What's done is done. Where's the next clue?"

Who wrote this shit? How is it possible that after the beer coaster's worth of story in TR and RotTR they managed to be EVEN LESS believable? How can it be that Jonah is the single voice of empathy here while Lara doesn't give one rat's fuck about all the people she doomed because of her stupidity? Everything goes down the drain only because the's a fucking sociopath who simply doesn't care what she's doing - she only cares about the next clue, because Trinity. And not to mention the endless "Got to! Have to! Must do!" that Lara moans out at every corner. Holy shit, girl, how about showing a bit of free will?

I really don't know if I can go on. I kind of like the gameplay, and from a technical point of view this one is once again a bag of amazement. But the level of stupidity presented here, and the kind of "person" they wrote Lara to be is really despicable. Does it get any better from here or am I going to be any more frustrated by continuing to play?

I just can't believe that someone sat down, wrote this and said "Oh yeah, that's the stuff!"
I don’t know what you are talking about, Lara in these reboots have always been gung ho and dose what everyone tells her not to do. This is very much in line with her character. Really that’s the entire point of the story is that it was all her fault and how she grows as a character after this game. I thought it was interesting that she was ready to blame trinity for the mess and that really bothered me but later on in the game she monologues to herself at the campfire that it was all her fault. She is not driven by discovery anymore but how she can makes things right. So yea I think the story is much more mature than you give it credit for. Could it have been executed better? Definitely but story has never been a strong point for TR games.

Froschi

I don’t know what you are talking about, Lara in these reboots have always been gung ho and dose what everyone tells her not to do. This is very much in line with her character. Really that’s the entire point of the story is that it was all her fault and how she grows as a character after this game. I thought it was interesting that she was ready to blame trinity for the mess and that really bothered me but later on in the game she monologues to herself at the campfire that it was all her fault. She is not driven by discovery anymore but how she can makes things right. So yea I think the story is much more mature than you give it credit for. Could it have been executed better? Definitely but story has never been a strong point for TR games.

I really don't recall Lara being completely devoid of empathy as shown here. Maybe my memory is jumbled there as it's been a while since I've finished RotTR. But I really don't remember her being a human looking robot.

I really don't recall Lara being completely devoid of empathy as shown here. Maybe my memory is jumbled there as it's been a while since I've finished RotTR. But I really don't remember her being a human looking robot.
She dose show empathy later on in the game you just have to play the game. Again, she dose not have the time to help out every little person, the apocalypse is closing in and the only way to stop it now is to find the next clue to keep trinity from using it as a weapon and so she can return it to its rightful place.

Lokimaru

Also you find a Note later in the game showing that Trinity was responsible for the Flood. They blew up the Levy. That one of their SOP's to cover their tracks. Made me hate them even more cause that's fucked up.

I bought the season pass 2 months ago and only found out yesterday that dlc can and should be found through the single player map instead of going to challenge mode option at main menu. Way different experience

ruvikx

Banned
A small gamepass related note here: Shadow of the Tomb Raider is "ending soon" on the Xbox gamepass (which probably means a few weeks or so from now). So for gamepass subscribers, now is probably the time to play it if you haven't already.

Dynomite

I waited on the Definitive Edition to go on sale, so I could snag this on PC for $20. I just finished replaying ROTTR and played about half of SOTTR on PS4 before I stopped to wait for the PC version. Am looking forward to jumping back in this.

Hasn't gripped me like the first one and Rise did. 100%ed both of those. Easier to get stuck and story kinda blows. Not sure if I'll get back to it

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom