• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider vs Uncharted Lost Legacy

Shadow of the Tomb Raider vs Uncharted Lost Legacy

• Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy

Votes: 71 65.7%

• Total voters

Dynomite

I quite enjoy the new Tomb Raider Series. I have played all of the console Uncharted games, with 2 as my favorite. I enjoyed the characters in Uncharted more, but I have spent significantly more time with the the Tomb Raider games, so they get my vote.

Eiknarf

Banned
Lost Legacy no doubt. Its even better than Uncharted 4
I think I liked Lost Legacy more than Uncharted 4, too

So naturally I thought, “What’s another game I can play that is similar to this?”

And Shadow of the Tomb Raider came up my search

The reason I started a poll was because I never thought about getting a tomb raider game

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't played lost legacy. Shadow of the Tomb Raider wasn't better than Rise of the Tomb Raider though. From what I hear Uncharted 4 isn't the best in the series. I never played Uncharted 3...I played only Uncharted 2. I thought it was pretty good, but not better than Rise of the TombRaider...which might not be fair because of the generation gap.

Verdict: Generally speak I like Tomb Raider more than Uncharted, but I don't have enough information to answer the question fully.

Mista

Banned
I think I liked Lost Legacy more than Uncharted 4, too

So naturally I thought, “What’s another game I can play that is similar to this?”

And Shadow of the Tomb Raider came up my search

The reason I started a search was because I never thought about getting a tomb raider game
Decent games so go for it. I enjoyed all of the reboots

TexMex

I'm a huge fan of both series, and find it hard to feel passionately about one of these over the other at all. I guess Lost Legacy, since Shadow was broken as hell at lunch and I never bothered to go back and finish once the bugs were worked out.

V2Tommy

Rise of the Tomb Raider is better than Lost Legacy.

Shadow is the worst modern Tomb Raider game... but it’s still pretty good.

Eiknarf

Banned
I thought the contest for the poll would be unfair because Lost Legacy is only playable on a Sony PS4 while Shadow of the Tomb Raider is multiplatform. So I actually am surprised at how well lost legacy is polling

Shmunter

Man, the Tomb Raider series showed so much potential with the 2013 reboot. Loved it. The 2 following it had little glints of what made 2013 great packaged amongst total shit. Quintessential shit sandwich. There is no comparison between the two franchises at this point.

Edit : finished all of them for reference.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Shadow of The Tomb Rider is a beautiful but so boring game, I did not enjoy the gameplay one bit. Sucks cause TB2013 and RoTTR were pretty solid.

As for Uncharted The Lost Legacy I really liked it, not as much as the numbered games but it was still pretty good.

Pimpbaa

Both seemed a bit lazy at times. The biggest offender was Chloe in Lost Legacy having Drake's animations (including his slightly slumped over posture). I know it was made quickly with as much recycled assets as possible and the UC4 engine having no more improvements in performance or anything else. But they could have at least got some motion capture for Chloe from a woman. Still, I would much replay through LL than attempt to even finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Very disappointing game considering how good the previous was.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Uncharted is beyond boring to me. The recent Tomb Raider games are fun.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Lara : Who are you?

Chloe : Im you..but better...

tenor.gif

Haven't played Shadow but Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider were remarkable games. In some aspects I enjoyed Rise over Uncharted 4. with respect to pacing, freedom and enemy encounters I enjoyed Lost Legacy more than Uc4.

Kenpachii

played tomb raider 2013 and rise of the tomb raider and god the games where so short i wouldn't even qualify them as games to be honest more as demo's. Gameplay was also extremely basic. Rise story was solid tho.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
its kind of funny when you think if there was no Tomb raider there would not be Uncharted but if there was no Uncharted there would be no modern Tomb raider

Eiknarf

Banned
Oh wait
I just read a review that mentioned that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is about 25 hours while Lost Legacy is 10 hours

Sussoloc

Gameplay and content: TR
Story and characters: LL

Overall it's TR, because gameplay is most important (in an ACTION game) to me. Otherwise i have Netflix.

GymWolf

Shadow if you like exploration, tombs, ambiental puzzle, light rpg elements and sense of progression etc.
Lost legacy if you like more gunfights, and a not totally shitty story and characters.

Great asses in both games.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Nah people like to say that but for me it's 3 2 4 LL 1.
All problem is poor characters, story and its just uninspired
People doesn't "like to say that" its different opinions just like how you said 3 2 4 LL 1

Is it hard for you to accept different opinions?

DrDamn

Just recently finished Shadow, enjoyed it but the series needs to decide what it wants to be. Really enjoyed Lost Legacy - well paced and great fun to play.

Shadow wins on puzzles, challenge tombs were great. General gameplay, gunplay and story/characters I enjoyed Lost Legacy more. Both worth playing.

Butz

Banned
Both are boring games with platforming you can only lose at if you're handicapped, though I'll pick Tomb Raider because Lara is hot.

Last edited:

D-Dude

I really disliked most of the npcs in Tomb Raider.. No soul whatsoever.
But the level design was fun, but Lara isn't Lara anymore imo.

UC LL, was okay but way to crinchy for me sometimes. Esspecially the Water pushing section.....

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I enjoy Shadows of Tomb Raider probably more, due to variety of gameplay. Or maybe I just enjoy it more due to mood I was in, when I played it. But Lost Legacy was fun too, not like Uncharted 4. I did not enjoy it much.

Moriah20

I went with Shadow -

+ Much better and more puzzles than any UC game, especially if you have the DLC's. I love how monumental some of the puzzles are
+ Reduced combat, making each combat encounter feel very satisfying. Cool stealth/predator mechanics, and the oil refinery set piece is fucking awesome
+ TR's climbing always felt more mechanically involved to me compared to Uncharted which often feels like an excercise in tedium
+ NuLara looks amazing. Her peak was in Rise, but she still looks really good here. I think her voice actress has done her best performance in Shadow though, some really good acting in the main story cutscenes.
- The skill tree is pointless, as well as the constant HUD clutter. Some of the game design elements are clearly still tuned for TR2013/Rise, both of which was more combat focused
- The story is inconsistent. Starts really well, with a driven, reckless Lara but eventually reverts back to being everyones favorite errand girl. Ends strongly though.

LL

+ Probably better presentation overall, though it's close, but, the animations are considerably more polished in UC
+ Better combat set pieces in general compared to TR, much more polished too. The train was awesome, a cool callback to UC2 with modern tech
- I just can't stand Nadine. Making us lose to her twice in scripted encounters only to then force her to be your partner in the next game, and have the most tropey, predictable character development ever (rough exterior, soft interior, what a shock) ...? Expected better from ND's writers. Or... just expected a partner like Cutter, Sully or you know, literally anyone else.
- The open world section really sucked. Navigating was a chore, and the optional puzzles were super lame.
- Chloe just felt like a different person. In UC2, she was a total badass, she was in it for the money and FUN. She was willing to leave Elena and her reporter friend behind, that's how little she cared. Yet in LL, she's obsessed with her father (funny, because that's a pretty negative trait of nu-Lara as well) and she's constantly moralizing. People saying that she is who Lara should be kinda make me raise my eyebrows since THIS IS who Lara IS right now, lol.
- This is a small nitpick but I remember finding it hilariously bizarre how the end credits song was a MIA song that sings about borders, immigrants, politicians... like, the song has literally zero resonance with the game or its story, or even characters. Just really fucking weird lol.

Fbh

Uncharted.

I just can't bring myself to like new Lara, she is so damn boring. Nadine in Uncharted is unlikable as hell and I'd still rather player another game with her than new Lara

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gameplay and content: TR
Story and characters: LL

Overall it's TR, because gameplay is most important (in an ACTION game) to me. Otherwise i have Netflix.

This is so laughable to me. I can't wait for Xbox to have better 1st party games. You people act like a good story in games is a bad thing. I mean Netflix dude? Really?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Uncharted games always averaged more big moments, I didn't count them but the characters rise up and shows you don't always need the main character.

Having fully completed both games, Lost Legacy is my preference.

In terms of gameplay, I found TR had too much busywork, reliance on crafting and revisiting hub areas. Whilst TR may have the greater running time, the content that fills the time was less appealing to me.
LL's gameplay suited me better as the pacing of the 10 hours felt varied - between action, exploration, platforming and puzzling.
The finale of LL is far more hi-octane and less repetitious than TR too.

In terms of writing and characterisation, LL is a lot of fun. The character arc of the two protagonists is interesting. The introduction of Sam adds interest, comedy and conflict.
As a franchise, TR's writing and characters have never been as good as Uncharted's. LL happened to be a high-point for the franchise and SotTR happens to be a low-point.
For example, compare how SotTR handles Lara and Jonah's character relationship versus LL's Chloe and Nadine.

Tomb raider hands down. Now if you had said uncharted trilogy I would of voted for that. This gens naughty dog has been shit ever since pretentious people got put in charge cough druckman cough and they kicked out Amy. U4 and lost legacy have better graphics but there was a lack of soul and excitement that was there throughout uncharted 1-3, and last of us. To be fair I felt a similar feeling with kill one shadow fall (a game I should have loved, but felt sterile and had no soul compared to brilliance of 2 and 3).

Shadow of the tomb raider concludes the trilogy. I haven't finished it yet, I do thourghly enjoy the game with its more rpg lite aspects. It's more in the vein of a soul reaver ala metrodvania in 3d appeal.

Oh and I just love Lara and Nathan drake too, but I feel druckman is pissing on him by kicking him off his own game for his personal vendetta ideology.

Top Bottom