• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of War sold ~ 400.000 copies on Steam in 7 days.

Bridges

I was pretty ready to dismiss this game in the lootbox fiasco, but it seems like the general consensus now is that it's all been blown out of proportion? I guess I'm pretty ready to not trust WB after the last few games they've put out. Good on them for finally doing a PC game justice though.

Gurish

WB is having a pretty good generation, most titles sold gangbusters.

They are having an incredible generation commercially, pretty good is an understatement even though I didn't like most of their games but you can't argue with success. I'm sure they grew considerably since last gen.

Still waiting to see how most people find the MT's in the end game and multiplayer before I decide whether it's a sale item or second hand but people seem to be having a lot of fun with it so far. Interesting to see how it all ends up comparing to the first.

kc44135

This disgusts me... A game that's actually good, and that has no Microtransactions, no Lootboxes, no day one DLC etc. like Evil Within 2 bombs, while filth like this game, polluted to hell back with it's Lootcrates and Lengendary Orc packs and whatnot lights up the charts. What is wrong with this Industry!? Never have I felt more disillusioned by my favorite hobby!

Nev

Banned
Only people that care about microtransactions and lootboxes are the people that use gaming forums like Neogaf. Average gamer -which is the majority of gamer population- couldn’t give less shits about them.

Yup. I have a friend on Steam who bought it and 'didn't give a shit about that lootbox whatever'.

Shame.

This disgusts me... A game that's actually good, and that has no Microtransactions, no Lootboxes, no day one DLC etc. like Evil Within 2 bombs, while filth like this game, polluted to hell back with it's Lootcrates and Lengendary Orc packs and whatnot lights up the charts. What is wrong with this Industry!? Never have I felt more disillusioned by my favorite hobby!

Its selling because its a damn fun game with a wide appeal. EW2 doesn't have the same appeal as slaughtering orcs.

lmao people really will defend anything
feel free to continue minimizing the horrible precedent this sets for the industry just because you guys want your "gotcha moment" since it sold well.

Lupercal

Banned
The Loot Box system isn't as bad as they looked but they're still bullshit.
Think I've opened 40 ? crates so far and not a single Legendary yet.

But if I pay I get some immediately :/

Skux

It's a solid game and the LotR license is going make it sell gangbusters.

The microtransactions don't harm the game in this case.

I was pretty ready to dismiss this game in the lootbox fiasco, but it seems like the general consensus now is that it's all been blown out of proportion? I guess I'm pretty ready to not trust WB after the last few games they've put out. Good on them for finally doing a PC game justice though.

Isnt the true ending sortof locked behind legendary orcs which you get way more of due to lootboxes?

Supposedly only the final part of the game has a long grind.

kc44135

lmao people really will defend anything
feel free to continue minimizing the horrible precedent this sets for the industry just because you guys want your "gotcha moment" since it sold well.
Yeah, this game being successful isn't a good thing for the industry, or us as gamers. I wish everyone would take a stand and vote with their wallets, but apparently slaughtering Orcs is too much fun... :/
Still won't support this in any way, shape or form.

👍👍👍

tuna_love

Banned
the evil within 2 is a disgusting piece of shit on pc champ

Hmm... Maybe I'll give Mordor another shot...

I didn't care for it when it came out, but maybe I was just burned out on that style of game at the time...

Apparently people liked it enough to go crazy for the sequel.

Isnt the true ending sortof locked behind legendary orcs which you get way more of due to lootboxes?

I'm only a quarter of the way through Shadow Wars, but thus far at least, I've had to do relatively little army management grinding to succeed without much trouble at all. So far as I can tell, you do not NEED Legendaries by any stretch.

You’re stepping aside and letting WB know that they can get away with putting micro transactions in their games to fish for vulnerable people. That’s what I meant by stepping aside.

Also you can clearly tell a person something is wrong when you can see how destructive it can be to them and we have seen how MT can be harmful to people.

It’s unfortunate for you that your favorite game has to have micro transactions, I really do sympathize. But I would be the idiot if I think this is only going to stay in the realm of western AAA games and not reach other lesser budget games. This needs to be discouraged as much as possible, not looked away. If you can’t understand the moral reasons I hope you at least understand the selfish reasons.

People who decide that they enjoy a game enough to put a little extra money into it are not "vulnerable". The perspective that the only people who purchase MT's are small children and dupes is an incorrect one. And please stop with the condescension and faux sympathy.

Also MT and F2P models migrated from lower budget games to western AAA titles. I understand and share concerns about core game design being altered to encourage or even force people into MT's and online shops but it's a little late to worry about low budget games having these models.

NIN90

I mean one is a freaking LOTR game with a large marketing budget and one is a fairly niche horror game that comes off a predecessor that generally received tepid receptions.

What did you expect?

evil within has more than some performance issues on pc

It does? Runs well enough on my crappy pc. Everything on high/ultra average 40fps.

No black bars, no crazy fps drops. Should it run better? Yes. Does it run better than the console versions? Hell yes.

Have not run into any bugs whatsoever either.

shimon

I'm only a quarter of the way through Shadow Wars, but thus far at least, I've had to do relatively little army management grinding to succeed without much trouble at all. So far as I can tell, you do not NEED Legendaries by any stretch.

Was about to ask about end game and necessity of buying loot boxes. Good to hear. If you could report after you're done with Shadow Wars it would be appreciated.

Well Evil Within 2 is a niche game with zero marketing (at least from what I've seen), brings nothing "new" to gaming and is a follow up to another niche game.
Shadow of War is a game in a very popular genre, had some great marketing for several months leading up to launch, has an expanded nemesis system which is a fantastic gaming mechanic that brings both increased immersion and emergent gameplay, is based off of the incredibly popular lord of the rings IP and is the follow up to the other popular game Shadow of Mordor.

I hope that helps. You seemed confused.

There is a single-player postgame of sorts that pretty much requires top tier orcs. You get a fair amount just in the course of playing, plus you can get both types of in-game currency through playing. I could buy several gold chests right now and I've never payed a dime.

Great marketing? All the marketing for this game has been gross as hell dude. The game itselfs looks cool but the commercials and trailers were all horrible.

tuna_love

Banned
It does? Runs well enough on my crappy pc. Everything on high/ultra average 40fps.

No black bars, no crazy fps drops. Should it run better? Yes. Does it run better than the console versions? Hell yes.

Have not run into any bugs whatsoever either.
that doesnt sound good at all tho

Sentenza

I never expected loot boxes to cause this game's downfall.

I honestly expected to see it selling poorly merely because that's what's happening to a lot of sequels these days.
Especially the ones that don't look like significant improvements over the previous titles.

StereoVsn

This sort of reception by the public will certainly embolden WB to keep pushing with lootboxes and MTs. After all why the hell not since people keep eating it up as seen in this very thread.

Let's just wait till they get to 2K18 level of bullshit and see what folks say.

Trup1aya

Of course it didn’t, the new generation of gamers are growing up on Microtransactions and loot box offerings.

I’ll pick it up next year, not giving them launch cash.

It's less that, more the fact that most gamers will never feel compelled to spend extra. So if the games economy is generous enough to avoid feeling bogged down by pressure to spend, people will buy it and enjoy it.

All the people saying "DONT BUY IT BECUZ LOT BOXZ" don't realize that if the game didn't sell, companies aren't going to draw the conclusion that loot boxes were truly the cause. They aren't going to parse NeoGAF or a few Kotaku articles for a singular correlation of sales data. People don't buy games for a whole host of reasons, loot box fuckery possibly included. But there's no way for them to be like, yeah, the cause was definitely loot boxes if the game failed. All the crying about the end on a video game message board is the minority, whether you like it or not.

If you really want to show them how much you don't like loot boxes, buy the game if you enjoy it, and don't spend real cash. That's it. That's the secret. That's where they can draw correct data from and say, hmm, these dudes don't even like interacting with the money side of things. Doesn't help with the loot box problem as a whole, because unless you use a PC trainer it'll probably come into view at some point, but not spending cash is a good line to draw in the sand.

KonradLaw

Maybe because Shadow of War is a lot more polished game on PC than The Evil Within 2 and comes from a developer who has a long tradition of making excellent PC games. That plus it has popular IP.

Meanwhile Evil Within 2 is a mess on PC and comes from dev that has long history of making mess on PC. Frankly, PC gamers not putting a lot more faith in a fricking Monolith than in damn Tango Gameworks would be pretty as you called it "disgusting"

People tend to care more about their games being mess or not than about optional loot boxes, because they can ignore the lootboxes completely. Performance and technical problems are much harder to ignore.

Tizoc

The loot boxes thing turned out to be mostly pre-release hysteria, so I'm not surprised that after the game launched the word got out and didn't affect the sales. PC community has always been good as spreading world of mouth.
Plus the game can be had for around 50-60% its steam price if u know where to look ;3

Thorgal

One game was advertised and the other was not.

blame Bethesda for it failing .

nynt9

im not sure if you think im making this up or not, the game runs really bad on pc.

Actually by most accounts I’ve seen it’s pretty good? PC performance review sites have also given it good marks. It has a ton of options and support for stuff like 21:9, capping frame rate, additional 4K texture packs etc. as well. I don’t know where this is coming from.

Top Bottom