• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowgate (PC) |OT| It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

GorillaJu

Watching someone stream this on Twitch and it looks great. Love the atmosphere, and the sounds especially. Need to pick it up and stop spoiling myself.

Cirruss

Do the torches that are mounted on brackets stay lit forever, or should I just pick them all up and carry them around with me?

Cody_D165

Banned
I've got the Special Edition downloading now. Can't believe it's finally time to play a new Shadowgate after all these years!

Man, now that the main discussion for the game on Steam has moved off of the Beta board, and onto the General Discussion board there, it literally makes my head hurt to read some of the theads and comments there. Just an extremely depressing community, and atmosphere in general.

I'm glad to have this thread on GAF for some actual decent Shadowgate discussion.

What's depressing about it? I was going to take a look at it but decided I should avoid it in case of stumbling across spoilers.

Do the torches that are mounted on brackets stay lit forever, or should I just pick them all up and carry them around with me?

I could be wrong, but I think picking up a lit torch will discard the one you were already using. And I THINK that they can burn out on the walls...at least, it looks like one in the Antechamber did for me.

inm8num2

I could be wrong, but I think picking up a lit torch will discard the one you were already using. And I THINK that they can burn out on the walls...at least, it looks like one in the Antechamber did for me.

Yea, best thing to do is to take unlit torches and add them to your inventory.

Drakken

Anyone else using the NES soundtrack? Seems to have more character to me.

Yea, best thing to do is to take unlit torches and add them to your inventory.

I unfortunately discovered this too late, it seems. I lit them as I entered new rooms, and now have reached a point where I have no more torches to take. Can't proceed in darkness... I think I'm going to start over. Probably 45 min in. Won't take too long to get back to where I was now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

terrisus

What's depressing about it? I was going to take a look at it but decided I should avoid it in case of stumbling across spoilers.

Mainly all the complaining about "$20 is way too much for a game like this! No one's going to buy it at this price! The developers need to realize this game needs to be $4.99 or less! When is this going on sale? Ah, it will be 90% off after a year anyway" etc.

Literally makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why would people be saying it isnt worth 20? Is it a length problem? Like, are there only 20 screens or something. Never got real numbers on that stuff. Or is it just cause its a puzzle point and click?

Oh damn dat
Beyond Shadowgate
teaser at the end! Can't wait for 2016 then :p

I'm quite mad because I misclicked on the last screen and lost my "beat the game in one sitting" achievement because of that death >_<

Do we know which achievements are cumulative between playthroughs?

terrisus

Why would people be saying it isnt worth 20? Is it a length problem? Like, are there only 20 screens or something. Never got real numbers on that stuff. Or is it just cause its a puzzle point and click?

I think there are a couple of issues
1) People thinking it's just a the original NES version with updated graphics
2) The "culture" that appears to exist on Steam with games being near-worthless/expectations of huge discounts

It really doesn't appear to extend too far beyond that

terrisus

Oh damn dat
Beyond Shadowgate
teaser at the end! Can't wait for 2016 then :p

Yeah, I went pretty darn crazy when I saw that.
Especially with the mention of
Del Cottonwood - who is the main character from Shadowgate 64

It's a really exciting time to be a Shadowgate fan =)

Mainly all the complaining about "$20 is way too much for a game like this! No one's going to buy it at this price! The developers need to realize this game needs to be $4.99 or less! When is this going on sale? Ah, it will be 90% off after a year anyway" etc.

Literally makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Ah that's a shame. I'm really enjoying it so far. Dripping with atmosphere.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That thing at the end (which i havent seen) was alluded to in a giantbomb quicklook by the devs saying that was their intention anyway. I guess it is nice there is official news on it.

Im gonna buy this today, i rarely buy new steam games. I either kickstart them or wait for a sale. But i gotta have me some shadowgates. Probably play tomorrow morning. Something about sipping some coffee while i play a puzzle game in the morning that reminds me of the old times.

terrisus

Ah that's a shame. I'm really enjoying it so far. Dripping with atmosphere.

Indeed. It's their loss, of course, but it makes for a sucky discussion atmosphere over there.

That thing at the end (which i havent seen) was alluded to in a giantbomb quicklook by the devs saying that was their intention anyway. I guess it is nice there is official news on it.

Yeah, I pretty much knew more stuff was coming, due to having spent a bunch of time chatting with Dave back in 2012, and him mentioning they had more plans for the Shadowgate franchise beyond just this one game.

Still, seeing that so explicitly stated in the ending was awesome.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seems like a pretty sizeable amount then considering the Caves has a bunch of screens in it. Do they start to get really tiny or anything?

terrisus

Seems like a pretty sizeable amount then considering the Caves has a bunch of screens in it. Do they start to get really tiny or anything?

They're all pretty decent size, I would say.
Or at least
the first three. The catacombs are a bit catacombsy

Cody_D165

Banned
About 3 hours in. Definite recommend already to any fans of point and clicks. Some awesome challenging puzzles, lots of unexpected deaths as I would expect from Shadowgate, and a load of brand new stuff. The interface is classic Shadowgate with some awesome new features for added convenience like keybinding items. The retro text-speeds, transitions, and music options are fun to have.

And I don't agree at all with any of the people bashing the art style. The presentation is phenomenal and the art style really lends itself to the game's atmosphere. New music is so good. Glad I bought the Deluxe Edition.

Basically it's everything I've ever wanted in a new Shadowgate. I can't wait to just sit down and tackle my way through to the end. If the awesome folks at Zojoi continue with more of these, especially reboots of Deja Vu or Uninvited, I'll be there day one on all of them.

Darb

Neo Member
Spoilers for a bit further in the game

Man, playing on apprentice and I can't for the life of me figure out how to cure the curse. I feel that I've made quite a lot of progress (air elemental, bladed sun, etc.) but I feel like I've passed over the cure...any tips?

Spoilers for a bit further in the game

Man, playing on apprentice and I can't for the life of me figure out how to cure the curse. I feel that I've made quite a lot of progress (air elemental, bladed sun, etc.) but I feel like I've passed over the cure...any tips?

Look into the
Library, and search everything you can find ;)

Darb

Neo Member
So I reckon I need a hook to combine with the rope in order to scale the inner tower. How do I get it?

Need to knock over the fire basin the lava room. You may need to quench the flames first (water elemental)

i went in that back room and there wasn't much. Is it a book to find? The skull suggests putting something in the flames but I can't find anything suitable!

The cure should be in the lower left table, just search it, you should get a bottle with a violet liquid in it. And you see these wood slogs? Try tossing one into the fire ;)

Man, the well-implemented particle effects really liven up the great art! Truly, this is an amazing-looking and great-sounding remake. Too bad I'm not altogether enthused by the puzzle design, but that's how I've always felt about ICOM stuff, but the original Shadowgate, in particular. Does difficulty affect the rate of torches burning out? The
three levers/one button mechanism
in the second screen or interior has caused me many spent torches. If the burn rate is tied to 'turns' or actions taken in the world, I'm probably done with trying Master difficulty. I remember that knowing the correct actions and order of them is key to breezing through games like this, but I feel like I'm playing Myst again...just hitting my head against a wall and trying everything even if it doesn't make sense given the scenario.

terrisus

Man, the well-implemented particle effects really liven up the great art! Truly, this is an amazing-looking and great-sounding remake. Too bad I'm not altogether enthused by the puzzle design, but that's how I've always felt about ICOM stuff, but the original Shadowgate, in particular. Does difficulty affect the rate of torches burning out? The
three levers/one button mechanism
in the second screen or interior has caused me many spent torches. If the burn rate is tied to 'turns' or actions taken in the world, I'm probably done with trying Master difficulty. I remember that knowing the correct actions and order of them is key to breezing through games like this, but I feel like I'm playing Myst again...just hitting my head against a wall and trying everything even if it doesn't make sense given the scenario.

Yup, the torch rate is tied to difficulty, and each move tied up a turn.

Off the top of my head, I believe they settled on
75 turns per torch on Master, 100 on Journeyman, and 125 on Apprentice.

Also, regarding the
levers, there's a clue which tells you the exact combination, so you shouldn't need to just randomly put in stuff and trying everything

Yup, the torch rate is tied to difficulty, and each move tied up a turn.
Okay, well that confirms my suspicions, but the difference between levels seems a bit pointless when you can save/load at will. Maybe I'll just endure the strange design decision to make simply activating things equal more time-consuming actions in the world and then load the earlier save once I know how to do something to spare my torches for the rest. Feels a bit save-scummy, but for this type of game, I'm not too concerned, I guess.
Also, regarding the
levers, there's a clue which tells you the exact combination, so you shouldn't need to just randomly put in stuff and trying everything

I figured they would, but all I can think of is a
vague phrase in a found scroll
that fits the situation. Will go back and try again. Thanks.

terrisus

Okay, well that confirms my suspicions, but the difference between levels seems a bit pointless when you can save/load at will.

Well, I mean, they're aren't really many (theoretically any) things in the game that require that kind of "trial and error" gameplay where one would feel the need to reload after.

Regarding the levers,
the hint is right near them, and is a pretty obvious hint. Try poking around near them and see what you find.

Spoo

Playing on normal, I got to the
elemental
and I'm not sure what to do now. I checked the hint, which mentioned
music, so I tried the flute I have to no avail
. Getting stuck a lot and it's kind of taking me out of the game more and more :\

Darb

Neo Member
Playing on normal, I got to the
elemental
and I'm not sure what to do now. I checked the hint, which mentioned
music, so I tried the flute I have to no avail
. Getting stuck a lot and it's kind of taking me out of the game more and more :\

Answer for you if you want spoilers:
use the wood carving knife on the flute a few times, then use yourself on the flute. if you don't have the knife yet, you may need to progress more elsewhere.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Enjoying the game so far. Puzzles keep things interesting and they really polished up the UI. Still have to click a few more times than id like but im using hotkeys more.

A tip: if you double click on a command it turns orange, which means that it will stay active until you right click or choose another command.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Are there any guides online yet? Ive already hit a dead end in the caves.
i used a hammer on the glass to reveal a door but cant get into it. Also i dont know what to do with the elementals yet.

Are there any guides online yet? Ive already hit a dead end in the caves.
i used a hammer on the glass to reveal a door but cant get into it. Also i dont know what to do with the elementals yet.

There is a
scroll in the frozen room in case you haven't gotten that already.

~Kinggi~

Banned
There is a
scroll in the frozen room in case you haven't gotten that already.

Yeah ive pretty much gotten everything i think i can at this point. I have 3 spells and a page full of items. There is that skeleton in the water though i cant get to.

Yeah ive pretty much gotten everything i think i can at this point. I have 3 spells and a page full of items. There is that skeleton in the water though i cant get to.

If you speak to the skull he will tell you a hint about the room you're in.

You need to use a spell on
the hatch in the second room. There is a puzzle there. Depending on the difficulty you're playing on, you might need a cog to be able to finish that puzzle.

terrisus

Are there any guides online yet?

We're your guide <3

That key is what you need.
In order to get it, you need to use the ice elemental that's in front of the dragon's den.
You need a sphere to capture it in.
Lower the water level with the levers to get into a room where you can get the sphere.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So ive made progress by
teleporting to different places
but i dont know how to figure out the
water gear combination to lower the pool in the other room.

terrisus

So ive made progress by
teleporting to different places
but i dont know how to figure out the
water gear combination to lower the pool in the other room.

The combinations are behind one of the gears by the levers
You need to remove the gear to see it
With a tempered dirk
Put the dirk in fire somewhere, douse it with water from somewhere, and hit it with your hammer. Do this a few times to fully temper it
You can now pry off the gear to reveal the lever combinations
You'll have to put the gear back in place to use the combination though

embalm

Really loving the remake. The art is great and the changes have really been throwing me off.

A couple questions. Don't spoil it straight out, just hints about what room or what tool I should be using would be best.

1) Cure for the Banshee's Scream... How far into the game is it or is there one? I'm going to be starting over to try and avoid it I think.

2) The oil room full of fire, where is the cloak that lets you enter the room? Has the item changed, I get kicked out now no matter what.

Top Bottom