• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowgate (PC) |OT| It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

inm8num2

ibrrmBot0RKDYr.png

ib27uoO2smVux6.png

Available on: Steam
Price: $19.99 / $29.99 (SE w/ OST)

DRM-free at GOG.com
Standard Edition
Special Edition

Uhf0JDD.png

Steam keys also available at:
Humble Store (SE)
Desura (SE on same page)
GamersGate (SE)

System Requirements:

PC:
Processor: 2.4GHz Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 512MB Dedicated Video Memory
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

Mac
Processor: 2.4GHz Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 512MB Dedicated Video Memory
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

ibuz9qjsO4Skso.png

Shadowgate is one of the most well-known and beloved point-and-click adventure titles in gaming history. As one of the original titles in the popular MacVenture series that went on to be celebrated on the NES, GBC and Nintendo 64, Shadowgate quickly endeared players with its fantastic atmospheric soundtrack, perilous locations to progress through, countless puzzles to solve, and more ways to gruesomely die than gamers previously thought possible. Thrust into the role of "The Seed of Prophecy," players travel deep into the living castle, in hopes of defeating the evil that dwells within – the dreaded Warlock Lord.

Now, nearly 30 years after the original version haunted Mac and NES gamers, the original development team behind that timeless classic is back with a full re-imagining of the original Shadowgate. Much more than a port, the team at Zojoi has painstakingly redesigned the game from the ground up, adding in tons of new mind-bending puzzles, lots of new rooms with stunning hand-painted 2D graphical detail, and more objects to interact with and help you along your quest.

Employ the Classic command system or turn on the retro soundtrack, text box, and room transitions. Want a more cinematic experience? Switch to Immersive mode by auto-hiding the UI and using customizable hotkeys to explore the castle. Or mix and match the options to satisfy your play style.

Key Features:

• First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system and intuitive on-screen commands to complete your quest.
  • Rooms: Tons of Beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new play experience.
  • Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
  • Difficulty Levels: Three different difficulty levels that actually change the game play experience and puzzle structure.
  • Customized UI: Play the way you want! Use classic on-screen commands or jump into Immersive mode and auto-hide the UI elements. Create key binds, lock commands and keys and more.
  • Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES chip tunes, move between rooms with pixelated transitions and follow the text in retro format.
  • Storytelling: Features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
  • Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with game play by composer Rich Douglas.
  • Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
  • Achievements: 50 in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock.
  • Animations: Environmental and object-specific animations and particles bring each location to life.
  • Help: Need a hint? An in-game help system is just a click away.

iE8GRDISFqMyM.png

Screenshots:

Videos:

Pre-order Trailer
Storyline Trailer
Comparison Trailer
Launch Trailer

Giant Bomb Quick Look EX
Polygon Overview
GameTrailers Report

iCqmgGJb62wWk.png

8.5/10- Vandal Online
8/10 - IGN (Italia)
8/10 - Paste Magazine
4/5 - PC World
7.5/10 - Canadian Online Gamers
7/10 - Gamespot
6.4/10 - IGN

A - Just Adventure

Welcome To Die!
T7W981Y.jpg

Official Website

* Special thanks to cj_iwakura for helping put this together.

terrisus

I'm a pretty huge Shadowgate fan. Played the NES version a ton around when it came out (and continually over the years). Got Shadowgate 64 when it came out. Got Shadowgate Classic when it came out. Even bought Beyond Shadowgate for the TurboDuo a number of years ago. I've also written guides/walkthroughs for Shadowgate/Shadowgate Classic and Shadowgate 64

Jumped on the Kickstarter the first day it showed up (and knew it was in the planning even before it went up). Put $100 in during the Kickstarter, and added another $100 afterwards, to move up to the $200 level (so I've gotten a bunch of fun physical items, and have more coming too). And am in the credits under the Hero tier for the Beta Testing section.

Played this a whole bunch during the Beta, but looking very forward to playing it a whole bunch more now that it's available to backers in a DRM-free version (very glad to have that Steam malware off my system, felt dirty having it there). Hopefully the DRM-free version will be available for purchase soon as well.

Dave, Karl, and everyone over on Zojoi have done an absolutely amazing job with the new Shadowgate game.
It's an absolute dream come true. A simply amazing game. And it is beyond unbelievable to know that the Shadowgate franchise is back again after all these years.

To anyone on the fence about this -
GET SHADOWGATE!

Oh yeah, here's me:

I'm pleasantly surprised at how this turned out. The art is amazing and I immediatley turned on the NES music. The only thing that's annoying me thus far is when I use an item in my inventory, you have to back out of the inventory screen first and then click on the object. I know its to be able to use items on items, but its still annoying. 20 minutes in and I'm already stuck...

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Stuck! Looking for a GENTLE HINT
I'm up to
have two rune skulls, gone through two mirrors, not adding muchh, ice flowers and sugar.

Dsyndrome

Never seen the elementals before. Finding myself dying for kicks just for the achievement.

Wish I knew about this while the Kickstarter was going on, loving everything I've been playing thus far!

Picked it up because I loved the original. Not too fond of the art style. The idea is nice, but it looks like cheap concept art. Makes it kind of hard to make out things sometimes

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Holy fuck I completely forgot about this. I remember it was being kickstarted and I was going to throw down but it slipped my mind. We. Are. In. There.

SmoothCB

Any info on the IOS release? Tempted to pick it up pc/mac though...

I assume that it'll run fine on a late 2013 13inch macbook pro?

inm8num2

Any info on the IOS release? Tempted to pick it up pc/mac though...

I assume that it'll run fine on a late 2013 13inch macbook pro?

iOS and Android are listed on Zojoi's website, but I'm not aware of when the game will be released on those platforms. I checked recent kickstarter updates and didn't see anything mentioned, so I guess they're still working on those ports. Hopefully soon!

Your Macbook Pro should probably be okay. Looks like the standard specs meet the minimum requirements for the game.

terrisus

iOS and Android are listed on Zojoi's website, but I'm not aware of when the game will be released on those platforms. I checked recent kickstarter updates and didn't see anything mentioned, so I guess they're still working on those ports. Hopefully soon!

Now that they're done with beta testing the PC version, they've made some mentions of beta testing for Android/iOS starting up soon. Still hasn't yet, but it's on the docket.

I'm mainly hoping they get the DRM-free PC version out there for people to purchase too, so I can recommend it without reservations.
At least I have my DRM-free copy from the Kickstarter.

is this a remake with the same puzzles or is it a new game with similar themes or something in between? regardless, I loved the nes game and will pick this up at somepoint.

Those background paintings are... kinda not good. Soft, washed out digital paintings with really poorly constructed perspective. Are those just some poor examples?

terrisus

is this a remake with the same puzzles or is it a new game with similar themes or something in between? regardless, I loved the nes game and will pick this up at somepoint.

It's based on the original and there are similarities, but there's so much changed/added/etc. that it may as well be a straight-up new game.

inm8num2

The developers call it a "re-imagining" of the original. Kind of like a remake in spirit but with plenty of new content/puzzles. I've barely played so far, so I can't really attest to what the specific additions/changes are (plus it's been ages since I played the original on NES :p).

It's based on the original and there are similarities, but there's so much changed/added/etc. that it may as well be a straight-up new game.

The developers call it a "re-imagining" of the original. Kind of like a remake in spirit but with plenty of new content/puzzles. I've barely played so far, so I can't really attest to what the specific additions/changes are (plus it's been ages since I played the original on NES :p).

awesome :b

~Kinggi~

Banned
aw hells yeah i likes me some shadowgate. Hoping for more impressions like how long it is and how much they added etc.

terrisus

aw hells yeah i likes me some shadowgate. Hoping for more impressions like how long it is and how much they added etc.

They added a ton of stuff.
As far as length, obviously depends on the difficulty, but without knowing the solutions/following a guide, probably around 15 hours on the medium difficulty.

I put like 150 in during the beta.

terrisus

Why are you teasing me like this!!?

And yeah, I love Shadowgate 64. Seems to be kinda hated among the original Shadowgate fans though.

Hey, I don't want to just go and give away things >.>
Especially not on the first day of the public release :þ

It is disappointing how unloved Shadowgate 64 is.
I try to make up for it by loving it as much as I can though <3

cj_iwakura

Well, I have a review of it, here, that I wrote 10 years ago, for some of my thoughts on it.

Also have a guide up in the 2nd post for a detailed walkthrough of it.

Interesting. Gives me a King's Field vibe.

Sadly, I was and still am a Saturn-er. :p I missed almost everything of note from the 64.

Dsyndrome

The games different enough that I don't feel like I can do a complete walk-through like the original.
Using torches on all the mummies/corpses doesn't give you the scepter; having to find all the different skulls.
Can't wait to put some time into it this weekend, hopefully 64 comes next as I never played it originally
saw the spoiler posted earlier

terrisus

Interesting. Gives me a King's Field vibe.

Sadly, I was and still am a Saturn-er. :p I missed almost everything of note from the 64.

Never played King's Field, so I can't compare it to that.

But, it's still a great game, and I still highly recommend it.

Miguel81

64 gave me motion-sickness back around the time of it's release. My mind wasn't attuned to First-person games, so I never get very far.

Edit: The original and Beyond were great experiences, though.

terrisus

64 gave me motion-sickness back around the time of it's release. My mind wasn't attuned to First-person games, so I never get very far.

Edit: The original and Beyond were great experiences, though.

I actually get motion sickness from probably 99% of first-person games (did then, and still do now).
Shadowgate 64 was always fine for me then.

terrisus

Heyyyyy wait a minute you guys just spoilerd me
they say shadowgate 64 remkae is coming !?!?

Hey, I didn't spoil anything >.>

I just said "Wait until you see the ending." That could mean anything. Could mean they could say nothing about it :þ

Miguel81

I actually get motion sickness from probably 99% of first-person games (did then, and still do now).
Shadowgate 64 was always fine for me then.

It's been so long that I can't pinpoint why it gave me nausea. Maybe the FoV is narrow, like Half-Life 2?

Man, It's good to read someone who loves Shadowgate 64 as much as I do :D.

Anyways, don't want to derail this thread too much. I plan to pick up this come December, when I finally have my vacations and I can have enough time for this. Can't wait!

terrisus

It's been so long that I can't pinpoint why it gave me nausea. Maybe the FoV is narrow, like Half-Life 2?

For me, most of my motion sickness seems to be from head-bob, which Shadowgate 64 didn't have much of.

From one 1st-person motion-sickness fan of Shadowgate to another, I'd recommend at least giving it another shot.

Miguel81

For me, most of my motion sickness seems to be from head-bob, which Shadowgate 64 didn't have much of.

From one 1st-person motion-sickness fan of Shadowgate to another, I'd recommend at least giving it another shot.

Yup, I'll definitely be ebaying a copy. At least I'll own the whole series now.

Dsyndrome

Never played much of 64 past the first hour as I rented it, do the puzzles stack up to the original Shadowgate, or does it get like King's Quest: Mask of Eternity and just go for the 3D (unfortunately didn't play much of that either)?

Sorry if the talk of 64 derails the thread. Loving everything about this remake!

Top Bottom