• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowgate (PC) |OT| It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

terrisus

Man, It's good to read someone who loves Shadowgate 64 as much as I do :D.

Anyways, don't want to derail this thread too much. I plan to pick up this come December, when I finally have my vacations and I can have enough time for this. Can't wait!

I'm definitely up for discussing Shadowgate 64 any time!
One of my favorite games ever.

Yup, I'll definitely be ebaying a copy. At least I'll own the whole series now.

Between me, The Strokes and you, we should get a LTTP thread for when you get it.
I'll definitely be there!

Never played much of 64 past the first hour as I rented it, do the puzzles stack up to the original Shadowgate, or does it get like King's Quest: Mask of Eternity and just go for the 3D (unfortunately didn't play much of that either)?

Sorry if the talk of 64 derails the thread. Loving everything about this remake!

The puzzles probably aren't quite up to the level of the original Shadowgate, in that they're more based around finding out information from the various books you find out around the game, which have all sorts of information in them.

And, while I love the original Shadowgate very much, I have to say that, given the choice, I love how Shadowgate 64 does things.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Old school hilarity. Still remember dying on the NES due to forgetting to light a new torch.

Zukuu

Banned
The wallpapers are very slick, too. I'm rocking this one:

OMG. I think I'm gonna faint... that cluttered desktop... that overloaded task bar... are you by chance a compulsive hoarder? I don't even... I'm speechless.

The game looks surprisingly interesting to me. Have no knowledge of the original.

terrisus

Yeah, but its looks like, hope, that someday they remake Shadowgate 64 =)

Well, can't change what someone thinks it looks like, I suppose.
As I said though, definitely doesn't play like one.

I definitely agree about wanting to see something like this done with Shadowgate 64 though <3

Man this game is giving me a headache, I finished it pretty often on GBC, but I'm stuck already at this one, it seems some things from the original have been a little bit changed, or some additions were made. Guess this game is to new that there is some little guide out there ?

terrisus

Yeah, as I said, there's a ton of new stuff in there.

I've beaten it a number of times over, so I can help...
But, figuring things out is half the fun.

Yeah, as I said, there's a ton of new stuff in there.

I've beaten it a number of times over, so I can help...
But, figuring things out is half the fun.

Well you are right, just playing on apprentince now, Journeyman and Master I will not touch yet lol.
How do you kill the goblin? I remember you had to use the sling shot but that does not work here.

Well, can't change what someone thinks it looks like, I suppose.
As I said though, definitely doesn't play like one.

I definitely agree about wanting to see something like this done with Shadowgate 64 though <3

S64 might be a bit trickier as kemco still has some of the rights to that design. They did allow zojoi to use Masuno's music for this one though, so I live in hope.

Assuming this sells well I suspect it would be after remakes of beyond shadowgate(based on the original design and not the turbografix version), Deja Vu and Uninvited though.

Ithil

S64 might be a bit trickier as kemco still has some of the rights to that design. They did allow zojoi to use Masuno's music for this one though, so I live in hope.

Assuming this sells well I suspect it would be after remakes of beyond shadowgate(based on the original design and not the turbografix version), Deja Vu and Uninvited though.
They said that in a GiantBomb preview, if this sells well, they want to make Beyond Shadowgate, based on their original design documents that they still have.

terrisus

Well you are right, just playing on apprentince now, Journeyman and Master I will not touch yet lol.
How do you kill the goblin? I remember you had to use the sling shot but that does not work here.

Just give it a punch in the face :þ
You can finish the job with the sword or dirk

Oh man, I completely forgot about this, but my birthday is in two weeks and I think I'm so going to pick it up. I loved the original Shadowgate and, yes, Shadowgate 64 is also amazing.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Nice OT, well done for that and raising awareness of the game.

I put my monies in for Kickstarter on this and am very pleased with the end result. Only played the first bits so far but think the art style is spot on and look forward to dying in whole new ways.

If you have played Shadowgate before I highly implore you to look at this, because at least personally it invokes fond memories. If you're a fan of point & clicks that have a slightly mean streak but keeps you on your toes at all times then certainly take a look also.

I remember reading about Shadowgate 64 in 64 Magazine. Those were the days! I must admit to not buying it though, so if that is revisited I would certainly be happy to make up for my error.

terrisus

For anyone who pledged during the Kickstarter, keep in mind that you have a DRM-free version in your humblebundle.com account as well.

Hate to admit it, but remake looks like hidden objects games, ouch.

Some hidden object games are rather good these days. I personally love the recent Mystery Case Files titles (i.e., Return to Ravenhearst for one good example).

For anyone who pledged during the Kickstarter, keep in mind that you have a DRM-free version in your humblebundle.com account as well.

I seem to have gotten this as well, just for preordering (didn't pledge).

Game is good so far. Great atmosphere (never played the original).

Hupsel

Game is pretty cool, started playing couple of weeks ago. I'm not a huge fan of the UI, sometimes it can be a bit clunky and I even forgot some of the commands since there are so many of them... but there's something in this game that keeps making me come back and try to solve all the puzzles. And yes, I've died a couples of times since I didn't have a torch equipped... and one time I tried to scare a water elemental waving my torch at it and the creature extinguished the fire... died again haha.

Oh I might have a copy to give away... first reply gets it! You just need to really want to play it :D

I saw a few days ago that it was releasing very soon, and it surprised me, I thought it was still a ways longer before we could play it.

I remember loving the game on NES/GB/N64. I think I'll get this version because of nostalgia.

Any way to get it for less than 18&#8364; in Europe?

Oh I might have a copy to give away... first reply gets it! You just need to really want to play it :D

Does this quote work? :D

Cirruss

I hope this is good, I had never heard of this game until I just read the thread. I just impulse bought it since I've been wanting to play a point and click adventure game for a while.

terrisus

I hope this is good, I had never heard of this game until I just read the thread. I just impulse bought it since I've been wanting to play a point and click adventure game for a while.

Very good decision!
Hope you enjoy it.

I missed that this was already out. I'll have to wait until I have more gaming time, sadly.

You should drop everything else, and play this instead :þ

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Game is good. Game is really, really good.

Literally my only complaint so far is how the death music doesn't start as soon as you make a bad decision.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
quit my medium game, beat it on easy. looked at hard.

Wow. It's crazy to see difficulty levels used in an adventure game like this. Really dug it, a few arbitrary solutions (combat stuff/spells*) and 2 puzzles in easy were what I call myst puzzles, i.e. doing a puzzle-puzzle presented in the world instead of dealing with the world in a logical manner. On second thought, I guess the lever/crank is another, but didn't bug me with busy work.

Thinking of retrying on medium now, but I fear the banshee's wail...

*Spell solutions are quasi arbitrary, I guess.

terrisus

quit my medium game, beat it on easy. looked at hard.

Wow. It's crazy to see difficulty levels used in an adventure game like this.

Funny story - for a while in Beta, Master was the only difficulty available to us (so that we would actually encounter all of the puzzles).
They didn't open up the other difficulty levels for testing until later on.

So, we all had to play through it, pretty much blind, in Master the first time through.

It was a pretty awesome experience.

Sulik2

I see lots of reminiscing for this game, never heard of the series before. Anyone actually play the remake yet? This looks kind of cool, but not sure if its worth picking up now or waiting for the steam sale.

Will play through this weekend if I can. I'm not even the hugest fan of the original (I prefer Uninvited and Deja Vu), but I am glad I backed this as it seems to be even better than I thought it would be.

carlos

Let me just add myself to the fan list of shadowgate 64 and all the icom simulation games.

heck, even the Uninvited flash game sequel was pretty good back in the day.

The work done for this release looks really nice, I hope more people find out about it.

cj_iwakura

OMG. I think I'm gonna faint... that cluttered desktop... that overloaded task bar... are you by chance a compulsive hoarder? I don't even... I'm speechless.

My whims change rapidly. One day I want to play Fate, the next I might want to do Bit Trip Runner.

terrisus

The game looks surprisingly interesting to me. Have no knowledge of the original.

My whims change rapidly. One day I want to play Fate, the next I might want to do Bit Trip Runner.

You should see mine.
It's just as bad >.>

It works perfectly for me though, and that's all that matters :þ

Zukuu

Banned
You should see mine.
It's just as bad >.>

It works perfectly for me though, and that's all that matters :þ
That's how a desktop and taskbar is supposed to look.
newbitmapimagefkjeu.jpg
I pinned frequently used programs to the start menu, or the game I currently play. Back in Win 95/98/XP times I would even organize that alphabetical and put everything in a correct sub folder (Autostart, Games and Programs). Also, I don't understand why people use "always combine, no labels" for their taskbar. It's such a hassle to navigate through multiple instances of windows explorer or chrome or something. You have all that space, why not use it. You can also immediately read which window has which site / folder open, without having to mousover everything.

On topic: Anyone knows how long the game is? Does it play like a point and click adventure? Immediately reminded me about old "choose your own adventure" books.

terrisus

On topic: Anyone knows how long the game is?

Depends on difficulty.
For the normal difficulty, first time through, probably around 10 hours or so.

Does it play like a point and click adventure?

Yes, it plays like the original Shadowgate.

Immediately reminded me about old "choose your own adventure" books.

I mean, there are some similarities...
But, they're still pretty different.

After all, in Choose Your Own Adventure books, you're just making periodic choices as you progress.
Not so much finding items, backtracking, solving puzzles, exploring, etc.

Riddler

I'm stupid and get past the statue in the tutorial. I'm suppose to cast a newly blinded spell but I can't cast it. I'm stuck.

terrisus

Man, now that the main discussion for the game on Steam has moved off of the Beta board, and onto the General Discussion board there, it literally makes my head hurt to read some of the theads and comments there. Just an extremely depressing community, and atmosphere in general.

I'm glad to have this thread on GAF for some actual decent Shadowgate discussion.

I'm stupid and get past the statue in the tutorial. I'm suppose to cast a newly blinded spell but I can't cast it. I'm stuck.

You can't cast it?

Select the Use command, select the spell, and select what you want to use it on.

Riddler

Man, now that the main discussion for the game on Steam has moved off of the Beta board, and onto the General Discussion board there, it literally makes my head hurt to read some of the theads and comments there. Just an extremely depressing community, and atmosphere in general.

I'm glad to have this thread on GAF for some actual decent Shadowgate discussion.

You can't cast it?

Select the Use command, select the spell, and select what you want to use it on.

Thanks

Top Bottom