• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowgate (PC) |OT| It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

Really loving the remake. The art is great and the changes have really been throwing me off.

A couple questions. Don't spoil it straight out, just hints about what room or what tool I should be using would be best.

1) Cure for the Banshee's Scream... How far into the game is it or is there one? I'm going to be starting over to try and avoid it I think.

2) The oil room full of fire, where is the cloak that lets you enter the room? Has the item changed, I get kicked out now no matter what.

1)
Yes, there is a cure. Depending on the difficulty you're playing on, you acquire it in different ways. If it's the lowest difficulty, then you'll outright find it. But if it's on Master, you'll have to make it yourself.

2)
Someone you've already met is wearing a cloak.
If you're playing on Master then you have to
do something with the cloak first. Perhaps there is something you can do to it so that you can endure the heat?

O2VlVZb.jpg

A piece i got a few comic cons ago. I cannot recall the Artists name.

embalm

1)
2)
Someone you've already met is wearing a cloak.
If you're playing on Master then you have to
do something with the cloak first. Perhaps there is something you can do to it so that you can endure the heat?
Is that person alive or dead? I've went back to
all of the corpses
to try and open or take anything that I may have missed and had no luck. Can I get a room hint or whether it's upstairs or downstairs?

Thanks

This is really embarrassing but I can't find the
Crysalis
spell to power up the
Rock Table
at the end on Apprentice even though I got it on Master (it's not at the same place)...

embalm

Crysalis
spell to power up the
Rock Table
at the end on Apprentice even though I got it on Master (it's not at the same place)...

I'm not sure where current spells were obtained, but I know I have that one. Here are some places where I believe I found spells, it's possible they weren't.
1.) Cloaked Alter -
Scroll on body, look at book
2.) Water Fall -
On body
3.) Freezer Room -
scroll encased in ice
4.) Tombs -
Burn baby burn
5.) Sewers -
Shelves

Crysalis
spell to power up the
Rock Table

I'm not sure where current spells were obtained, but I know I have that one. Here are some places where I believe I found spells, it's possible they weren't.
1.) Cloaked Alter -
Scroll on body, look at book
2.) Water Fall -
On body
3.) Freezer Room -
scroll encased in ice
4.) Tombs -
Burn baby burn
5.) Sewers -
Shelves

Nah I got it...I completely missed a
skull
on Master and thus did not know it existed at a certain place before now. Once I got it, I could go where the spell was on Master.
I just thought it was an unreachable area on Apprentice

terrisus

Is that person alive or dead? I've went back to
all of the corpses
to try and open or take anything that I may have missed and had no luck. Can I get a room hint or whether it's upstairs or downstairs?

Thanks

Keep in mind, if you need to look around a room a bit better, you can turn off the HUD.
The cloak is likely in plain sight, but it's a bit close to being partially obscured by the HUD (you can see it with the HUD there, but you may miss it)

Finished a Journeyman playthrough. Loved it. Really liked the changes they did to flesh the game out.
Hype for 2016! Count me in again on the next Kickstarter!

TeaJay

I played it pretty intensively in the beginning but as the game went on I started to lose interest. The banshee curse was a pain, and the puzzles started getting stranger. It feels like there's no logic to them, so they're harder to figure out. Plus the awful interface. It's a shame, really, since it has the right atmosphere. The actual game part is just lacking IMO.

terrisus

I played it pretty intensively in the beginning but as the game went on I started to lose interest. The banshee curse was a pain, and the puzzles started getting stranger. It feels like there's no logic to them, so they're harder to figure out.

What difficulty mode were you playing on?

And, other than the lever puzzle, what puzzles did you feel there was "no logic to?"

Plus the awful interface. It's a shame, really, since it has the right atmosphere. The actual game part is just lacking IMO.

What's wrong with the interface? It was tested and tweaked pretty well in Beta. Is it just a dislike of that style of play in general?

I'm liking this game so far, but the puzzles are ridiculous. They offer really no help at all and I have a hard time trying to know which puzzle to solve first. I'm stuck all over the place..

terrisus

I'm liking this game so far, but the puzzles are ridiculous. They offer really no help at all and I have a hard time trying to know which puzzle to solve first. I'm stuck all over the place..

Which difficulty level?

And, anything in particular that we can help with?

So I got all the way to the drawbridge on my first journeyman playthrough before realizing I somehow missed the spells at the waterfall. I'm guessing that's the reason I couldn't use the lever on the drawbridge, because it wouldn't work no matter what I did. How do you turn the waterfall off? Oh well, have to start over anyway because the curse got me. This is somewhat harder than the original NES version, lol. Fun game and great art, though. Quite awesome in my opinion.

terrisus

So I got all the way to the drawbridge on my first journeyman playthrough before realizing I somehow missed the spells at the waterfall. I'm guessing that's the reason I couldn't use the lever on the drawbridge, because it wouldn't work no matter what I did.

Nope, that doesn't have anything to do with it.
Just hit the lever. Or Use -> Self -> Lever

How do you turn the waterfall off?

One of the lever combinations from the lever room at the beginning of the game

Oh well, have to start over anyway because the curse got me.

You were almost to the cure too.

This is somewhat harder than the original NES version, lol. Fun game and great art, though. Quite awesome in my opinion.

Yeah, it's definitely pretty challenging. I think a number of people were kind of caught off-guard by that.
But, it's a great game. Glad you're enjoying it =)

Nope, that doesn't have anything to do with it.

I must have encountered a bug, because I tried that, read what faqs there are online and even watched some playthroughs on youtube and that damn lever still won't budge. Lol.

terrisus

I must have encountered a bug, because I tried that, read what faqs there are online and even watched some playthroughs on youtube and that damn lever still won't budge. Lol.

Strange. Since, yeah, that's all there is to it, it doesn't rely on you having done anything else.
Maybe not clicking on the right part on the lever or something? Although I don't recall having encountered any issue with it.

terrisus

The "Halloween Update" is out today too.

And while one of its key points is the seasonal "Dread Pumpkin quest," it's much more than that.
The update that went out today has some significant updates to the game as a whole.

Quoting from here:

Available in this weekend’s Halloween sale, the new Shadowgate update showcases a litany of new features and improvements that will help adventurers navigate the treacherous dangers of the living castle Shadowgate. Included in this update is a limited time haunting side-quest entitled the ‘Dread Pumpkin Quest’, an alternate command system, new Casual and Ironman game modes, a retro graphics add-on, additional achievements and much more!

Key updates include:

• Alternate Command System: In addition to the Classic/Retro command system, we now offer an additional way to interact with the game world: a modern icon-based system. Immersive (Hide UI) mode, keybinds and locking are still available in this mode.
  • Casual Game Mode: Perfect for those unfamiliar with the Shadowgate universe. The game is very forgiving, offers unlimited torch life and generally keeps the Grim Reaper at bay.
  • Ironman Mode: Perfect for advanced players. In this mode, saved games are disabled, requiring you to complete your grand adventure in one sitting.
  • Brand New Halloween Themed Side-Quest: The ‘Dread Pumpkin Quest’ sends you on a mysterious and festive quest to find and release a terrifying spirit.
  • Show All Objects: For those that want a bit of help, this key bind highlights all objects in a room.
  • Quick Load Option: This additional key bind is for quick loading a saved game.
  • Tutorials and Hints Changes: The tutorials and hint text have been overhauled to be even more helpful.
  • UI Elements: The UI elements are adjusted in size to offer more visibility of each scenes. Also, the Load/Save dialogues have been relocated for ease of use.
  • Additional Achievements: Gotta catch them all, Ironman, Seven Angry Dwarven Miners, Signal the Castle, Book Collector, Pyromaniac and Pumpkin Hunter.
  • Adjustments to “USE” command: The USE command now requires only one click to work on stationary objects like levers and such.
  • Retro Graphics Option: A pixelated filter has been added for those who wish to play the game in retro graphics mode. This fun extra is easily turned on and off in the settings or via a keybind.
  • Destroyable Objects: Key objects cannot be destroyed in easier difficulty settings.
  • Settings screens: Added a third volume slider for cut scenes, revamped the options screen and added additional keybinds.
  • Adjustments To Enemy-based Puzzles: Some examples include the shadow wraith which will no longer return and the goblins archers which have a lower firing percentage.
  • Lots of tweaks to graphics and text.

And much more!

terrisus

For anyone who got one of the physical reward tiers from the Kickstarter, your game box and such should be coming in around now!

The posters I had gotten before are elsewhere, but, here's what I received today:

Still need to take some time to really look through and appreciate everything, but initial reaction is - Everything is awesome! =)

Awesome. Zojoi have absolutely nailed how to do a gaming kickstarter on every conceivable level.

Shame they're unlikely to do another KS, I hope they have enough funding for their future releases.

Thrax

Banned
Played the original back on a Mac back in the 80s.
Seems like this would be perfect on a Ipad, Any news of this?

Anyone know what the "limited time" Halloween quest means, exactly? I haven't gotten around to finishing the game quite yet and would like to do this part after, but I'd hate to think it wouldn't be accessible then.

Dsyndrome

Anyone know what the "limited time" Halloween quest means, exactly? I haven't gotten around to finishing the game quite yet and would like to do this part after, but I'd hate to think it wouldn't be accessible then.

Developer says it'll be available through November, possibly more holiday-themed quests down the line.

Steam Forums

taoofjord

Just wanted to say that I finally picked this up and DEVOURED it in two evenings. I have fond memories of playing the original on the NES, though I never got more than halfway through it back then. Anyway, I absolutely adored this remake and the way the difficulty increases through more and alternate puzzles is brilliant.

I have a big thing for first person dungeon crawlers like Lands of Lore 1 and Legend of Grimrock and this game gives me that same sort of immersion I get from those. While the art isn't particularly impressive in this remake, It's crazy how, like the games I just mentioned, it creates a whole lot of atmosphere out of very little. My experience these past couple nights have been very memorable and I have no doubt that I'll be putting this game on my list of all time favorites.

Fantastic work, devs, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next game. :)

Oh, and I really wish this game got more love here, it really deserves it.

Edit: Also, FYI, the pumpkin quest is still in the game.

Top Bottom