• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun [Sega CD] Fan Translation Project

CitizenHal

Neo Member
I really hope this project doesn't die out, this is something me and a lot of other people would love to see.

There isn't much activity on this thread but I'm still hopeful. :)

cj_iwakura

I really hope this project doesn't die out, this is something me and a lot of other people would love to see.

There isn't much activity on this thread but I'm still hopeful. :)

I promise it isn't. Umineko's been taking up the time that's also needed to edit Chapter 1's script. But we're not letting it go, no way. Too much talent involved.

Definitely awesome to know this is still fighting the good fight to right this great wrong in SEGA CD history---when it rests in triumph come to the MSX nostalgia topic and maybe see if you can reckon and wrangle some magic on the old partial translation for Illusion City? It may well be the oldest game that drew from classic P&P Shadowrun at least a bit thematically, despite being older than any of the actual, literal and fully Shadowrun console games.

Wow! I didn't know you guys were doing this until now, but consider me hyped! Coincidentally, I was playing my Sega CDX all weekend. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the results.

cj_iwakura

Thanks for lighting a fire. Chapter 1 is halfway done. Once this is done, we should be able to get a playable alpha build off the ground.

In the interim, I have enough script here to possibly doctor up a few more screens with the English script.

cj_iwakura

Translated some of the screens in the OP, enjoy.

s32VuSo.jpg

TtdqA2Z.jpg

sD8gdUb.jpg

8AfEguV.jpg

eNALI68.jpg

uqjuhtP.jpg

JVrUVsP.jpg

cj_iwakura

Apologies then; I just remember reading this massive opinion on it on the HG101 site. They didn't think it was very good at all but said the story was interesting.

I was about to comment on this, but it seems it got updated recently to include Returns. (I write for HG101, but I didn't do the SR article.)

I don't think it had bad things to say if memory serves. From what I've played, I think it's very fun to play, far more than Shadowrun Genesis.

Oh, it calls it unbalanced. Eh, hardly means it's bad.

cj_iwakura

Just so people know we haven't abandoned this in midst of testing Generation Xth, we're testing insertion for Scenario 1(which is mostly done) and working on an actual font.

xanubysx

Neo Member
Just curious, is there any development on that front?
I just redid Shadowrun returns and I am waiting for the new Berlin expension.
It reminded me about your awesome endeavor.
You mentioned that this project was not your team works, but you were helping.
Keep us posted and see you in the shadow chummer.

cj_iwakura

Just curious, is there any development on that front?
I just redid Shadowrun returns and I am waiting for the new Berlin expension.
It reminded me about your awesome endeavor.
You mentioned that this project was not your team works, but you were helping.
Keep us posted and see you in the shadow chummer.

We're still working on Scenario 1, but not yet.

I'll be sure to.

cj_iwakura

Been a long time coming...

It has begun.

Insertion!
(VERY VERY ROUGH VERSION.)

od8VWNV.jpg

RLkZOKz.jpg

QyekMJ8.jpg

1Viq7OZ.jpg

BBwsIxA.jpg

vtFxf90.jpg

g69zUER.jpg

NSDWBeR.jpg

TyIn8gy.jpg

slhDhvb.jpg

QZ5bHHh.jpg

40sCrTQ.jpg

bNK33KR.jpg

tHJM9sk.jpg

tPD02Dt.jpg

bDCd2uA.jpg

Very, very rough. Overlaps galore, lots of untranslated stuff... but it's the first step!

Is there any specific reason the US screens are ten fold more clear / easier on the eyes than the japanese version? Just the way there were captured or did you add a filter or something or emulation?

cj_iwakura

Is there any specific reason the US screens are ten fold more clear / easier on the eyes than the japanese version? Just the way there were captured or did you add a filter or something or emulation?

Probably the capture method. Once we apply a fixed width font it might even be readable!

xanubysx

Neo Member
That`s an amazing step.
If it`s cool, I have a couple of questions.

I wanted to know if you got around the Kanji tables for all scenarios?
You mentioned the project was bringing a lot of attention and that people wanted to help for translating from Jap --> Eng. Last news was 2 scenarios out of 5 done. Can you tell us what is left to be translated in the script?
Finally, do you guys still want to release the 1st chapter as a tryout or you are aiming for the full game?

Overall, take the time it needs to be of great quality.
Thanks for your work, shadowrun is awesome.

cj_iwakura

That`s an amazing step.
If it`s cool, I have a couple of questions.

I wanted to know if you got around the Kanji tables for all scenarios?

Yes.

You mentioned the project was bringing a lot of attention and that people wanted to help for translating from Jap --> Eng. Last news was 2 scenarios out of 5 done. Can you tell us what is left to be translated in the script?

We're working on cleaning up Scenario 1 and doing Scenario 2.

Finally, do you guys still want to release the 1st chapter as a tryout or you are aiming for the full game?

We could do the first when it's legible and stable(it's neither right now). I'd like to.

cj_iwakura

Scenario 1 is completely in-game. No fixed width and buggy as heck, but... it's there. NPC dialogue and locations are almost readable!

cj_iwakura

I want to get a range of feedback on this. Anyone who wants to test a very very rough version of Scenario 1, PM me. Preferably if you can do so at the moment.

Teknoman

Hopefully this isnt seen as a crazy bump, but once I get my model 2 up and running, i'd be interested in helping to test as well. Glad someone is taking more action on the Sega translation front.

Foxix Von

Hopefully this isnt seen as a crazy bump, but once I get my model 2 up and running, i'd be interested in helping to test as well. Glad someone is taking more action on the Sega translation front.

I want to get a range of feedback on this. Anyone who wants to test a very very rough version of Scenario 1, PM me. Preferably if you can do so at the moment.
Thanks for bumping actually, I hadn't seen this earlier. Anyway, PM sent.

cj_iwakura

We're working on getting the crashing to stop and maybe, just maybe, apply a fixed width font... so hopefully the next update will be a major(and prettier) one.

BTails

We're working on getting the crashing to stop and maybe, just maybe, apply a fixed width font... so hopefully the next update will be a major(and prettier) one.

Whoo, a bump for a status update! I'm really looking forward to this, thanks for the heads up that progress is still moving forward.

cj_iwakura

Yeesh. Compile are some evil bastards.

Shadowrun uses the Sega CD and Genesis sides to program the text output.

Little wonder we had such a hard time cracking it.

cacildo

God bless the translators

With the japanese game market looking more dire every day, this kind of project gets more and more valuable

Yeesh. Compile are some evil bastards.

Shadowrun uses the Sega CD and Genesis sides to program the text output.

Little wonder we had such a hard time cracking it.

Were you able to fix the constant freezes from a few months ago? Glad to hear its going well, or better at least, damn thing looks like hell to hack,

Top Bottom