• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned $39.96 at Fry's Electronics BOMBA SUDA51 AM CRY

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/FSI/Page.aspx?advid=200177&loc=53824&fsi=16908&version=Mercury

mzyqx.jpg

AHUAHUAHUAHUHAUHAHUAUH

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice. I've never seen a Fry's before, but I look forward to it dropping to $20 before the end of summer so I can give it a shot.

Phenomic

Forkball said:
Seriously, I didn't even know it was out yet.

For some reason at least on GAF this seems to be a huge problem. No one knows this game released yet. Someone screwed up with marketing.

Man

Really enjoying this (nearing the end now).

It plays well with good combat, enjoyable light/dark mechanic, amazing soundside (Silent Hill composer).
Humor/dialog ranges from bad(not the good type) to brilliant (short stories). Some elements are presented a bit too gamey (collecting big diamonds).

Overall: A very playable atmospheric trip.

there are SO many people that don't know this got released, I think barely 1% know who has made it. I myself want to know what fucked up publisher actually managed to release the game with zero buzz.

But to be honest it comforts me somewhat, wii will sii Suda again

edit: ah, it's EA, again? They published Alice like this as well, didn't they?

Haunted

Everyone knew this was going to bomb with the way its marketing was handled.

Ok, no, technically very few people knew because it completely went under the radar of the gaming population, but you know what I mean.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is actually very good. Very impressed with it thus far. Great writing and Akira Yamaoka!

Y2Kev

For whatever reason, EA decided to cut ties with both this and Alice. I don't really get it. I mean, okay, Alice I get. But this could easily be turned into a small hit. Not like the dev budget was huge...and it's a shooter.

Kade

EA has been advertising a lot on YouTube but unfortunately it's those annoying banners that pop up at the bottom of videos that everyone closes as soon as they appear.

StuBurns

Banned
Y2Kev said:
For whatever reason, EA decided to cut ties with both this and Alice. I don't really get it. I mean, okay, Alice I get. But this could easily be turned into a small hit. Not like the dev budget was huge...and it's a shooter.
I think Alice is much better, but you're right, EA made this project out to be a huge deal for them, announcing just the deal years ahead of announcing the game, then threw it under the bus by the time it shipped.

Wow, I had heard of this and knew that there was a generally good buzz around it but I had no idea Suda 51 had anything to do with it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The constant 2 weeks after release price drop is really going to hurt day 1 sales.

Seems like every release is $40 within a month somewhere on sale.

It's like the new business model, take as much from early adopters, then drop drop drop to get the fence-sitters, before ending the eventual $29.99 goldbox sale-a-rama a month or 2 later.

That said, I've heard good things about this one.. not sure a 40min drive to Fry's is worth it.. my truck would kill me savings in gas alone.

LiK

stupid Fry's. hope Amazon price matches for a day.

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow, I had heard of this and knew that there was a generally good buzz around it but I had no idea Suda 51 had anything to do with it.

Suda x Mikami x Yamaoka

Y2Kev said:
Because this is a shooter and Alice is an action adventure platformer?

The only reason I've even heard of this game is from listening to the Weekend Confirmed podcast. EA has done a horrible job promoting this. If they've promoted it at all.

Y2Kev

Zeouterlimits said:
Because this is a shooter and Alice is an action adventure platformer?
Right, that's what I mean. EA could have done something with this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm definitely gonna get this eventually, but I've finally managed to train myself not to spend $40+ on a game unless I *really* want it. Luckily it's an EA game so it's only a matter of time until I can find it at the right price.

Jenga said:
waiting for pc version

I'm not expecting this to happen or anything, but it would definitely motivate me to buy the game right away.

Wario64 said:
Have there even been any TV commercials? I'm assuming not judging by this thread

The same thing happened when the official thread went up. More than half the thread was people saying "WTF! This comes out next week?!"

Nice work EA.

Y2Kev said:
Hmm. I can understand your reasoning, but I'd like to think both could have been reasonably successful with some marketing. And spacing out.

jackdoe

Y2Kev said:
It's a bit too weird to be advertised on television BUT there are more venues than that to advertise and EA has failed in that regard.

Gameboy415

Definitely picking this game up in the future, but I have so many games in my backlog already it wouldn't make sense to get it now.

My local Gamestop actually had big ads for the game in the doorway in the weeks leading up to release.
It sounds like this wasn't the case at most other stores....?

MrMephistoX

Hopefully this rash of price drops to $40 will wake some publishers up. Gameplay and content wise this is surely worth every penny of $60 but dudebros sadly set the pace this gen and gems like this need an attractive price tag to compete especially when they have a PR and advertising budget of practically zero.

Top Bottom