• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

jergrah

I just finished up 5-1 last night and have really enjoyed this game thus far. I probably would have let this title go unnoticed if not for this thread, but am glad I picked it up. Such a unique experience on the market, one of my favorite games of the year thus far. Hopefully Ill knock out the last few areas tonight or tomorrow, Im really curious to see how the story wraps up.

Oh my god, really?

I fully upgraded my big boner (haha) but never upgraded anything of my shotgun or machine-gun....
I'm in Chapter 5-1 now on "normal" difficulty....is it time to completely erase my save and start from the beginning or do I have a chance to beat the final boss?^^

btw: chapter 4-6 was the worst stage i've played in a long time. big boner level were "okay" but this was absolutely boring to play and bad designed...woah...really...wtf were they thinking?

The perfect Dark said:
Oh my god, really?

I fully upgraded my big boner (haha) but never upgraded anything of my shotgun or machine-gun....
I'm in Chapter 5-1 now on "normal" difficulty....is it time to completely erase my save and start from the beginning or do I have a chance to beat the final boss?^^

btw: chapter 4-6 was the worst stage i've played in a long time. big boner level were "okay" but this was absolutely boring to play and bad designed...woah...really...wtf were they thinking?

You have more than a chance. But put all future red gems in the dentist (first damage then capacity). There should be around 10 red gems left for you not counting the ones you can buy.

You'll see why the dentist is useful for the endgame.

I like it...no doubt....but it's a heavy disappointment if you compare it to games like Resident Evil 4 or Killer 7....even to No more Heroes.
It's fun, yes....but only in the first playthrough. I see no reason to come back to this game.

Nekobo

I'm a big fan of Killer 7 and No More Heroes, so I was excited when this came in the mail via GameFly. So far I'm digging it. Feels like a Suda 51 game that plays like RE4. Took me a while to get used to pressing R1 to fire the boner, though.

Does this game have any replay value (i.e. new game plus)? I'm tempted to keep the game and add it to my Suda 51 collection.

Nekobo said:
Does this game have any replay value (i.e. new game plus)? I'm tempted to keep the game and add it to my Suda 51 collection.

Nope, no NG+ sadly. There is very little replay value besides trophy whoring. I enjoyed my two playthrough though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nekobo said:
I'm a big fan of Killer 7 and No More Heroes, so I was excited when this came in the mail via GameFly. So far I'm digging it. Feels like a Suda 51 game that plays like RE4. Took me a while to get used to pressing R1 to fire the boner, though.

Zero replay value. It's actually my biggest complaint with this game. After one play through on normal, I already had 70% of the trophies. And the ones I didn't have weren't anything hard to get, just stupid Kill xxx enemies with this weapon and going through the game on easy and hard.

Sinthetic

I finished this up tonight, I didn't want it to end. Suda never fails to make me fall in love with his games and this was no different. There was practically nothing that I personally would have changed (maybe just a little less side scrolling stuff) and very little I would have added (New Game +)...

I'm really satisfied and urge everyone to give this sleeper gem a try.

P.S - The ending was badass, especially the last line.

I think it has an average if not above average amount of replay value for a game that doesn't have have multiplayer or isn't open world, if for nothing else then the great dialogue between Hotspur and Johnson.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does anyone have any tips for the chase scene in 3-2 (I think it's 3-2)? The one where you have to
run from Paula while killing all the demon's to get the items to open the baby doors
is giving me a lot of trouble. Light shot doesn't seem to help much either.

RoboPlato said:
Does anyone have any tips for the chase scene in 3-2 (I think it's 3-2)? The one where you have to
run from Paula while killing all the demon's to get the items to open the baby doors
is giving me a lot of trouble. Light shot doesn't seem to help much either.

use the hot boner to shoot a blob on the log then shoot it to blow the log up. Quickly switch to the shotgun to kill the charging enemy, grab the strawberry and run to the door.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
weekend_warrior said:
use the hot boner to shoot a blob on the log then shoot it to blow the log up. Quickly switch to the shotgun to kill the charging enemy, grab the strawberry and run to the door.
I can get past that part. The second area with even more enemies where she just books it straight toward you is the part giving me trouble.

Was loving it (like, might be the best thing I've played in 2011 loving it) until I hit that horrific bridge puzzle. If about an hour of this game (this shit included) was cut out, it'd be near perfect.

Neiteio

This game tempts me with its creature design and style, and the core RE4-esque gameplay looks solid, but several aspects look questionable:

- The off-color humor: I'm fine with it in GTAIV, but that's pushing it. How much worse is this? I could learn to love the humor, I'm sure, but it would be pushing me out of my comfort zone...

- The inability to backtrack: Apparently you can't even go back down a ladder you've climbed, making it easy to miss side areas and items. How problematic is this?

- The glitchiness: Apparently you can walk through walls in areas and across thin air... Any glitches that have frozen the game and forced you to do a hard reset?

- No replay value: Does the main game offer good enough pacing, setpieces and visual and gameplay variety to keep second and third playthroughs fresh?

If nothing else, I may mark this in my mind as one to get once it hits sub-$20, as I did with Vanquish (which in retrospect would've been good enough to get at $60).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Neiteio said:
This game tempts me with its creature design and style, and the core RE4-esque gameplay looks solid, but several aspects look questionable:

- The off-color humor: I'm fine with it in GTAIV, but that's pushing it. How much worse is this? I could learn to love the humor, I'm sure, but it would be pushing me out of my comfort zone...

- The inability to backtrack: Apparently you can't even go back down a ladder you've climbed, making it easy to miss side areas and items. How problematic is this?

- The glitchiness: Apparently you can walk through walls in areas and across thin air... Any glitches that have frozen the game and forced you to do a hard reset?

- No replay value: Does the main game offer good enough pacing, setpieces and visual and gameplay variety to keep second and third playthroughs fresh?

If nothing else, I may mark this in my mind as one to get once it hits sub-$20, as I did with Vanquish (which in retrospect would've been good enough to get at $60).

- It's full of dick jokes and dark humour. Thankfully though the character writing is sharp, as is the voice work, which leads to great delivery on basically all jokes. There's a lot of quirky humour too, such as strange character back stories and what have you. I thought it was very funny, and the banter between Garcia and Johnson made them a wonderful duo.

- Its a problem at a few points, but nothing overly serious. Unlike Resident Evil 4, which was somewhat 'open' in each area you explore, Shadows of the Damned is very, very linear and straight forward. You rarely, if ever, actually need or want to back track.

- PS3 version here. Texture pop-in was the only frequent and annoying glitch. I neve walked through a wall or anything. From what I've read of other peoples problems, its a typically buggy Grasshopper game, but nothing that I feel really hurts a playthrough.

- Personally yes, because I thought the campaign was wonderfully paced and written, and I really enjoyed the combat. But it legitimately has no real replay value, unless you like trophy/achievement whoring, or playing through all the difficulties. Its also quite short, with one playthrough taking ~7 hours.

Elginer

Got this on launch day and glad I did. Shame it bombed HARD. EA did basically zero marketing. Reminds me of Alan Wake and how that slowly spread thanks to word of mouth. Hopefully this can do the same as well.

Neiteio

EatChildren said:
- It's full of dick jokes and dark humour. Thankfully though the character writing is sharp, as is the voice work, which leads to great delivery on basically all jokes. There's a lot of quirky humour too, such as strange character back stories and what have you. I thought it was very funny, and the banter between Garcia and Johnson made them a wonderful duo.

- Its a problem at a few points, but nothing overly serious. Unlike Resident Evil 4, which was somewhat 'open' in each area you explore, Shadows of the Damned is very, very linear and straight forward. You rarely, if ever, actually need or want to back track.

- PS3 version here. Texture pop-in was the only frequent and annoying glitch. I neve walked through a wall or anything. From what I've read of other peoples problems, its a typically buggy Grasshopper game, but nothing that I feel really hurts a playthrough.

- Personally yes, because I thought the campaign was wonderfully paced and written, and I really enjoyed the combat. But it legitimately has no real replay value, unless you like trophy/achievement whoring, or playing through all the difficulties. Its also quite short, with one playthrough taking ~7 hours.
I have a PS3, so that's the version I'd get. Sounds good. Regarding the replay value, is it possible to make multiple saves in this game, so that if there are certain parts I especially like I can "bookmark" them with saves at each point in a second playthrough? For me, that makes a game more replayable, as I can replay my favorite parts.

For example, in GOW3 the "replay" value for me is being able to boot up my Cronos save whenever I want. I love that setpiece. :)

As for the game as a whole, a seven-hour game is perfect for me. These days, anything much longer tends to overstay its welcome. (Which is why Skyrim with its 300-plus hours of gameplay should be an interesting test, lol.)

kliklik

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I can get past that part. The second area with even more enemies where she just books it straight toward you is the part giving me trouble.

Turn and shoot her with a lightshot.

Also, mow enemies down with the machinegun.

~Kinggi~

Banned
RoboPlato said:
You know i didnt realize there was a run button until this part. Game never tells you to hold down right trigger. After i figured that out i beat it easy. lol

Curufinwe

~Kinggi~ said:
You know i didnt realize there was a run button until this part. Game never tells you to hold down right trigger. After i figured that out i beat it easy. lol

Hmm... I'm pretty sure running is mentioned in one of the tutorial bits.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Beat this now after playing on and off for the last few weeks (damn you gaf for stopping me actually playing games), and enjoyed it quite a bit. No real technical issues (except for some tearing when set to 1080p), good characters, decent humor (the dick jokes could get a little tiring). The combat was just okay. I haven't really played a game with a laser sight instead of a crosshair since RE5, so that took some getting used to. The movement was a little clunky, but the combat was slow paced enough to not make it a huge deal. It's no GOTY contender, but I'm glad I played it.

Bliddo

~Kinggi~ said:
It tells you how to run the first time you see paula in chapter 2-1, right at the beginning of the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Beat it. Enjoyed it a lot. Lots of great places to visit and some of the jokes were really funny. Gameplay was pretty solid too. I liked the little after credits sequence too. Vulgar little skull lol. I am very sad it didnt sell well. Game needs a sequel. They obviously set up for one.

The third big boner stage is ridiculous on an SD TV. So you essentially have to get head shots on every enemy? Well, what if you can't see where the fuck the laser sight ends. The cherry on top is the bloody unskippable cutscenes. Holy shit how did this archaic tripe pass any kind of playtesting?

I'm actually pretty annoyed the rest of the game was so good (bar a few dips), that I want to see the rest. Guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks until I have access to a HD set. Fuck this shit. :/

You can't change difficulty setting either? Come on. Now I've hit an audio bug and it just consists of very loud annoying static. :|

But great game! ;D

kliklik

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
I am very sad it didnt sell well. Game needs a sequel. They obviously set up for one.

Hey, No More Heroes got a sequel... I'm amazed that Suda is actually so prolific when his games don't sell well. On some podcast (GameInformer?) I think they said that they only print limited quantities and they've got a low budget, so that even when it doesn't sell well by the usual standards, it's fine for them because they didn't print too many or spend too much on development.

Rustymonke said:
The third big boner stage is ridiculous on an SD TV. So you essentially have to get head shots on every enemy? Well, what if you can't see where the fuck the laser sight ends. The cherry on top is the bloody unskippable cutscenes. Holy shit how did this archaic tripe pass any kind of playtesting?

No, you actually don't need to get headshots. I think it only takes 2-3 bodyshots to down them, and it's much faster than trying to line up headshots. It also makes them stop and stumble, which gives you time to check a different lane to make sure no-one is closer or is charging at you.

The trick is switching between, not necessarily finishing off the enemy you're shooting at. You have to keep an eye on the other lane, and you can always come back to finish off the guy who you're shooting at in the distance if there's no enemy who's closer to you in another lane. Just keep switching between to make sure you're shooting the most immediate danger, and don't worry so much about lining up headshots and killing them in one go.

.la1n

Curufinwe said:
Considering the poor sales I'm surprised it's still going for full price on Amazon.

Better to just grab a copy from another seller that is offering it in very good or like new condition. I only purchase directly from Amazon when they run specials or have gold box deals.

UNCyrus

Finally platinum'd this game last night, and I have three things to tell people that haven't started it yet --

FUCK non-stacking difficulty trophies
FUCK unskippable cutscenes
FUCK no NG+ option

peetfeet

UNCyrus said:
Finally platinum'd this game last night, and I have three things to tell people that haven't started it yet --

FUCK no NG+ option
Non stacking sucks, as much as i like the game i'm not looking forward to playing it through twice more. just finished 3-4 on hard, thought i may as well get the hardest setting outta the way first!

non stacking difficulty and no backtracking AND no new-game+ make me a sad panda..
doubt i'll bother platinum-ing it, got a shitload of a backlog :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Beat this the other day. Really wanted to Platinum it, but didn't for reasons already stated many, many times by others in this thread.

Aside from that issue, though, I really really loved this game.

Also, was anyone else a bit shocked to find out that
Steve Blum
voiced Garcia? I actually thought it'd be a Mexican VA. :lol

Ryuuga

Banned
UNCyrus said:

FUCK no NG+
option

These two dissapoint me especially as I could see myself replaying this game on multiple difficulties given I had the NG+ option. I recently started playing this game and am loving it, I just wish there were plans for a PC version.

codhand

Having to rewatch cutscenes multiple times in a short span of time is excruciating.

But everything else, particularly the pacing, kept the game moving along.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man.. 45 dollars shipped. I love you Akira and I love Shadows, but that's quite a bit for a soundtrack and an autograph.

hertog

Just finished it, awesome awesome game.
The last boss was a bit of a let down though, but such a creative, fun and weird game.

Loved the conversations with johnson.

almost finished..
starting act5 now and i may pull a striaght 2hr session to end this nightmare..
game is okay, nothing major, but there are some bad flaw (both story-wise and "mechanic"-wise) that make me cringe in pain..
not bothering with platinum..
at least i got it cheap (around 24 eur) so when i trade it in @gamestop i'll get fo'shizzle as much... oh well

Top Bottom