• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Beat the game. Overall I really liked it but god damn those last
two boss fights were annoying. Not hard, just annoying and way too drawn out.
Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth there at the end, but I'll try to remember all the good times instead. Also the
Johnson rap after the credits
was excellent.

Beat the game on medium, kind of assy they don't give you the achievement for beating it on easy too. I guess if I play the game again I'll do it that way, hard seems like it'd be a real pain in the ass anyway.

GrayFoxPL

Just beat the game. Legion Hunter(Hard). I got it on release, played to 5-2 and left it until yesterday. I don't know, just got bored of it, it's quite repetitive.
But finished it today and overall it's pretty awesome. The ending made me want replay it right away. And I'll have to because trophies for easy and medium don't add up to hard - ricockules!

I have 74% trophies, might go for platinum just trophy for picking up all red gems might be annoying. Anyone know how many there is? Game doesn't show that.

I'd love to watch a movie based on the game and I must say "Never." said by
Paula by end of the game
is the best spoken/voice acted line in the history of videogames. Period. lipsync and visualization are also great for it.

Oh I hated the 2d shooter bits. So painful.

Shame it didn't sold. Sequel would rock balls!

Johnson and book reading was probably best parts of the game. Anyone else bummed there was no playable motorcycle section?

I have 74% trophies, might go for platinum just trophy for picking up all red gems might be annoying. Anyone know how many there is? Game doesn't show that.
Here's a guide I found but it sounds like such a pain in the ass I'm personally not going to bother. Apparently you have to buy 42 of the red gems from Christopher to get the achievement, which means farming white gems. Thanks but no thanks.

http://segmentnext.com/2011/06/22/shadows-of-the-damned-red-gems-locations-guide/

Johnson and book reading was probably best parts of the game. Anyone else bummed there was no playable motorcycle section?
I wasn't if only because it probably wouldn't have been very good. I wouldn't minded having seen it in more cutscenes though.

Himself

Glad to see new people playing now that it's cheaper. Pretty damn fun game, eh?

I don't remember the last boss being too annoying, but what did you think about the other bosses? I thought the game had some excellent bosses
the giant horse, the bloody dude with the harmonica in his belly
were all badass.

I really regret selling this game, but tough times came a knockin' and I needed the $25...I'll pick it up again someday.

Oh, and that ending! Loved it.

I don't remember the last boss being too annoying, but what did you think about the other bosses? I thought the game had some excellent bosses
were all badass.

I really regret selling this game, but tough times came a knockin' and I needed the $25...I'll pick it up again someday.

Yeah it was mega fun. I'm not a huge fan of boss fights in general but I thought up to the last one they were mostly fine. My highlights of that game are of course the dialogue, the characters, the exploration and the combat against regular dudes.

Also, the music that plays when you use the sushi torch fish is amazing. I would totally buy the soundtrack.

Sinthetic

Yeah it was mega fun. I'm not a huge fan of boss fights in general but I thought up to the last one they were mostly fine. My highlights of that game are of course the dialogue, the characters, the exploration and the combat against regular dudes.

Also, the music that plays when you use the sushi torch fish is amazing. I would totally buy the soundtrack.

Hahahaha ah man, Sushi Lamp song was a really big thing for my girlfriend and I. We used to play the shit out of that song.

Himself

Forgot about the sushi torch! The soundtrack is incredibly from beginning to end. I seem to remember some of the music sounding oddly compressed on the PS3 version though.

GrayFoxPL

Here's a guide I found but it sounds like such a pain in the ass I'm personally not going to bother. Apparently you have to buy 42 of the red gems from Christopher to get the achievement, which means farming white gems. Thanks but no thanks.
What the...? Are you kidding me?! I thought it's about finding the hidden gems. What the fuck. I'm not doing this. ....Probably....

I wasn't if only because it probably wouldn't have been very good. I wouldn't minded having seen it in more cutscenes though.
Ha! I know what you mean. Usually those sections are shitty but there was a chance that here this could've been decent. The game biggest flaw imo is repetitiveness and lack of variety. There is some, but it could've been much more.

were all badass.

Yeah the bosses were pretty cool. My most memorable was
one that chased you in the marked labyrinth
. Btw at first I was sure all books
concerned the bosses stories
but somewhere in the middle things didn't add up exactly for me.
I don't remember what it was, played those sections a while ago.

I just finished up my playthrough on normal. This game easily has the best duo of the year. Garcia F Hotspur and Johnson just slayed me, especially when they read the short stories. This game has some of the funniest writing and voice acting I've ever encountered in a game. The ending had me audibly laughing.
The dialogue about burgers.
And the combat was fun throughout. I loved all the bosses and and fodder enemies. And the game was just the perfect length for me too. It ended just when I was ready for it to wrap up.

This is the first Suda 51 game that I actually enjoyed playing. Game design legends should always help Suda 51 out with the gameplay on titles. I wish we could get a sequel or at least another Suda 51/Mikami collaboration in the spirit of Shadows of the Damned. I'll take anything I can get! Please don't let Garcia and Johnson fade away!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I still cannot believe Steve Blum voices Garcia. I mean, I never doubted that Blum had range (even though most studios never let him show it "Just do the Spike voice!"), but seriously, wow.

Tokubetsu

I still cannot believe Steve Blum voices Garcia. I mean, I never doubted that Blum had range (even though most studios never let him show it "Just do the Spike voice!"), but seriously, wow.

I could tell it was him. A real wow factor this year for me was finding out that Nolan North did the Penguin in Batman AC.

Sinthetic

Bloody Hell! I had no idea. First Jack from MadWorld and now Garcia. The man keeps voicing the baddest dudes in gaming.

I got around to playing this and it was pretty enjoyable for the most part but some of the bosses (especially the second to last) just stretch on too long. I kinda feel bad that it sold so little but on the other hand this game is not up to the quality of say a Platinum games game by a longshot. It feels really sloppy in a way where it feels like they were trying to make something really top notch but hit a wall and compromised (total invulnerability during the entire roll with 0 consequence for one). Also the terrible 2D sequences was kind of funny the first time, not so much the third time.

Probably something I will still replay again sometime though.

Finally bought this because I found it at the right price. Really sucked waiting since release, but I just couldn't justify it at $60. Anyway, I'm only into Act 2 so far, but I'm really enjoying it. Here's hoping that lasts all the way through.

burgerdog

Finally bought this because I found it at the right price. Really hurt waiting all time, but I just couldn't justify it at $60. Anyway, I'm only into Act 2 so far, but I'm really enjoying it. Here's hoping that lasts all the way through.

Me too, been loving the game so far. Do you guys have any tips as to what I should be leveling up first?

Me too, been loving the game so far. Do you guys have any tips as to what I should be leveling up first?
I did health first since I'm a big baby and then whatever weapon I was using the most at the time.

Be sure to level up the blue weapon though, the machine gun, by the end of the game. I hear if you haven't leveled it up by then you could have problems with the final boss.

I didn't really bother leveling up the light shot or the torch.

Loved the game but man those 2D shooter bits were fucking terrible

I still can't believe they put an Act's boss fight in one of those sections, pretty fucking terrible. Those sections are so cheaply made it is kind of incredible. I guess it is kind of funny they put such horrible sections into a video game, but who decided to do it three times? Gotta wring the maximum amount of gametime out of this sick 2D shooter engine I made in a couple of hours!

burgerdog

I did health first since I'm a big baby and then whatever weapon I was using the most at the time.

Be sure to level up the blue weapon though, the machine gun, by the end of the game. I hear if you haven't leveled it up by then you could have problems with the final boss.

I didn't really bother leveling up the light shot or the torch.

Level up the Teether? I went back a few pages and someone said the Dentist. Unless the Teether turns into the Dentist at some point.

Muerte Cabrone. I used to keep spamming the melee until Garcia said that. Hahaha.
It's "Muérete, cabrón" (die, you bastard). :3

Will probably be replaying this soon, I keep wanting to revisit this gem. As someone else said, it's probably my sleeper hit of 2011 as well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It'll be in my top 10 as well!

Shocking? There's generally a Suda game in my top 10 :)

But yea I think this, while not the best, was one of the most 'pure fun' games I played all year. Its kinda why I play videogames. Ya know, fun. No drama or monotonous level grinding or XP gathering or annoying headphone chatter.

Good show.

nel e nel

Just to clarify, it's not getting all the red gems, but rather unlocking all the upgrades. You can actually get more red gems than you need, so it caused a bit of confusion among the achievement hunter crowd.

As neuromancer said you can purchase the red gems from Christopher (and farm white gems to help you), but also keep in mind that the difficulty you play at also affects the price of gems. They are cheaper on the easiest difficulty setting, so most folks attempt this on that setting.

Banjoman

I still can't believe they put an Act's boss fight in one of those sections, pretty fucking terrible. Those sections are so cheaply made it is kind of incredible. I guess it is kind of funny they put such horrible sections into a video game, but who decided to do it three times? Gotta wring the maximum amount of gametime out of this sick 2D shooter engine I made in a couple of hours!
Don't fuck with Justine. She's my favorite boss of the game.

Just to clarify, it's not getting all the red gems, but rather unlocking all the upgrades. You can actually get more red gems than you need, so it caused a bit of confusion among the achievement hunter crowd.

As neuromancer said you can purchase the red gems from Christopher (and farm white gems to help you), but also keep in mind that the difficulty you play at also affects the price of gems. They are cheaper on the easiest difficulty setting, so most folks attempt this on that setting.

You can also respawn red gems in certain levels, which is how I got the Platinum. Grab the red, get to a checkpoint, reload, and then grab the red again. Farming whites takes way too long. Use the respawn glitch where appropriate and you'll get it. Theres a guide online somewhere. That's how I did it.

Glix

I got this game as a gift last night and played up to 3-1.

This is a great game, the gunplay is fun and the rest is wonderful hysterical madness. This is the type of game that there doesn't seem to be enough of this gen.

Arklite

Cool game, generally, but the boss fights were surprisingly forgettable. The whole thing felt subdued in a way, like it could have been so much crazier but it never went beyond a certain threshold. I picked of NMH for PS3 and I feel it's Suda's better work between the two.

Haunted

Will probably pick this up now to get through it before the year's done.

Both versions the same or is there one technically superior?

Carl

Yeah i was pretty astonished that they put a boss fight in it. I was bored of those sections after the first one - by the time i got to the last one i was pulling my hair out.

I would personally like to punch whoever decided that cutscenes should be unskippable and unpausable.

Because there's no way that's something they overlooked. It had to be a conscious decision to keep the player from walking away to keep the atmosphere, but it makes for a shockingly terrible user experience when shit keeps happening.

Sinthetic

I've seen this in plenty of people's GOTY list somewhere around the middle and mine will be no exception. I'd say that it's a sleeper hit that will probably come into light next year when people are looking back at the 2011 list of games they didn't play.

My personal favourite bits were when Johnson and Garcia read those Story Books. Too bloody awesome.

todahawk

I've had SotD for a bit and finally started playing it... didn't do much for me at the beginning but now I can't put it down. I kept comparing it to other games (especially RE4) but after just sitting down with a beer and just playing the game I'm absolutely loving it.

I love the back and forth between Garcia & Torch... so many little things I love but I love how Johnson goes limp after a charged up swing. So much innuendo and so juvenile but I love it.

Love the variety in gameplay... the darkness issues, the goats, the baby heads... a few things bother me but overall i'm loving it. Staying up way too late playing this.

@GrayFoxPL: that would be hilarious. I love how Johnson reads the posters and books... a nice little part to change things up and explain more about the game world.

Haunted

wow this game is pretty awesome

While just a solid shooter all by itself, the very first city part alone offers a more convincing version of hell than Dante's Inferno even with all the gamey stuff. Impressive lighting, great looking and playing bosses (makes me want to scratch Dark Souls from my GOTY list)... what a totally pleasant surprise.

<3 Suda51

Haunted

aaand finished.

Technically lacking (worst texture pop-in in a UE3 game I've seen this generation), sometimes janky, and slightly repetitive towards the end even though it's short... yet full of fun "gamey" ideas and Suda's trademark punk attitude leave me positive about the experience.

I enjoyed it, high points were the book readings and boss fights. Solid contender for a (low) spot on my GOTY list. :)

Curufinwe

I would personally like to punch whoever decided that cutscenes should be unskippable and unpausable.

Because there's no way that's something they overlooked. It had to be a conscious decision to keep the player from walking away to keep the atmosphere, but it makes for a shockingly terrible user experience when shit keeps happening.

It's a terrible oversight. On the 360 you can pull the battery out of your controller if you really have to pause a cutscene, but just pressing the guide button doesn't pause the game like it should.

Chocoboko

aaand finished.

Technically lacking (worst texture pop-in in a UE3 game I've seen this generation), sometimes janky, and slightly repetitive towards the end even though it's short... yet full of fun "gamey" ideas and Suda's trademark punk attitude leave me positive about the experience.

I enjoyed it, high points were the book readings and boss fights. Solid contender for a (low) spot on my GOTY list. :)

Just finished the game on normal and this is basically my exact feelings of the game. The shooter sections and the final boss fight were the only things that really bugged me. Not that the final boss was that hard it just went on WAY to long.

I am still pretty confused about the ending.
I still dont quiet understand the story here. So did Garcia originally steal her away from Flemming? He says that she was his mistress at the end so it kind of confused me.

hayejin

Is it impossible to get "kill X number of enemies with y weapon" achievement if your weapon gets upgraded to a different model?

Also how do I get the 5 brutal kills while the enemy is stunned by lightning? What do I have to do trigger a different attack(pressing X). All I got were the one where main character does two punches or shoves a torch up the mouth.

Top Bottom