• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Shame on you': North Carolina GOP votes to override veto while Democrats were absent

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
These are the sort of things I find absolutely hilarious in modern politics. Rules are rules, kids.

Democrats excoriated Republicans on social media and the few who were present in the House at the time of the vote furiously protested the decision. Only 12 Democrats were in the House, but they did not all have an opportunity to vote and their microphones were cut off, the paper reported. The vote passed 55-9. The issue now moves to the state's GOP-controlled Senate.

Cravis

Aug 18, 2006
Why didn't they show up to work?
Exactly. Being a rep is your job. Must not want it anymore if you don’t show up. If I do that at my job they’ll find someone else to replace me so do we need to just go ahead and have another election for their position.

EDIT: posted while post above me was posting. I have to now ask why weren’t those republicans at the 9/11 memorial? Pretty damn disrespectful. If those democrats can go then they should go and just postpone the vote.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Exactly. Being a rep is your job. Must not want it anymore if you don’t show up. If I do that at my job they’ll find someone else to replace me so do we need to just go ahead and have another election for their position?
This Daily Beast article seems to blame the Democrats' absence on the fact they were attending a 9/11 ceremony, but it seems that perhaps it was only the Governor and a few others. The Dem leader was told there would be no vote so it seems a good number of Democrats just didn't show up.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

pennythots

May 14, 2019
Why didn't they show up to work?
9/11 memorial services.

the general assembly starts off with with a skeletal session that is a strict formality every morning. nothing traditionally happens first thing in the morning regardless, dems were told the vote wasn't going to happen till later and then all the republicans showed up anyways to vote on the matter.

the democrats that were there this morning objected to the vote but the speaker wouldn't recognize them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
This Daily Beast article seems to blame the Democrats' absence on the fact they were attending a 9/11 ceremony, but it seems that perhaps it was only the Governor and a few others. The Dem leader was told there would be no vote so it seems a good number of Democrats just didn't show up.

So Dem leader fault?

Cravis

Aug 18, 2006

In that case my first point still stands. Absolutely disgusting. Just shows the politicians that truly represent their people and those that take the job because it elevates their social status.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
"There have to be consequences for this kind of behavior," he said. "Just another lesson in why they must lose their majority."
"...so we can get revenge."

I'd be a lot more sympathetic to them if the last few years didn't see so much wrongdoing by the Dems on the municipal, state and national stage, including the aforementioned revenge politics (re: Democrat-led obstruction). Unfortunate that Republicans decided to use tactic, but part of me finds it amusing.

Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Remember when Oregon Republicans left so that Dems couldn't make quorum? All these rules [quorom, majority, vetoes, overrides, etc] exist for a reason. Republicans played by them, even if the Dems don't like it, and even if it seems 'dirty'.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
republicans lost their supermajority that they've held for nearly a decade and presidential elections have been super close in NC for a long time (mccain vs obama was a matter of 14k votes).

it's gonna be a battleground state for sure and the nc gop are very, very good at getting their way and playing the system. dems are like charlie brown trying to kick the football and republicans keep pulling it away from them.

the nc gop will have to play dirtier and dirtier to keep getting their way and it's up to dems to either stop trusting them completely or get dirty themselves.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I'd be a lot more sympathetic to them if the last few years didn't see so much wrongdoing by the Dems on the municipal, state and national stage, including the aforementioned revenge politics (re: Democrat-led obstruction).
This is where I am at. These people talk about shutting the Senate down by rejecting roll call votes and packing the Supreme Court with liberals because they can't win a national election. Don't cry about this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Remember when Oregon Republicans left so that Dems couldn't make quorum? All these rules [quorom, majority, vetoes, overrides, etc] exist for a reason. Republicans played by them, even if the Dems don't like it, and even if it seems 'dirty'.
As fucked as not showing up to do your job to game the system is, isn't this case worse in your eyes since this fuckery only happened with actual lies?

Playing by the rules is one thing, but outright lying to cause it to happen is a moral and integrity issue that does not paint the North Carolina Republicans in a good light.

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
This is where I am at. These people talk about shutting the Senate down by rejecting roll call votes and packing the Supreme Court with liberals because they can't win a national election. Don't cry about this.
Were these people citizens of North Carolina advocating for these things?

pennythots

May 14, 2019
Playing by the rules is one thing, but outright lying to cause it to happen is a moral and integrity issue that does not paint the North Carolina Republicans in a good light.
It doesn't matter if there are no consequences. Maybe a future election will reflect poorly on the NC GOP or maybe Dems can learn from this and stop trusting them.

Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977
Dec 15, 2011
For an outsider's benefit can someone, using reason, please tell me two things:

How of this is about formal rules being broken?

How much of this is about feelings being hurt?

Thanks.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
All the time? Of course not.

More than the Republicans? Of course they do.
9 Democrats showed up today, so either inter-team messaging is shit, or this wasn't a coordinated thing at all, and Dems just dropped the fucking ball. if all the Republicans were there and no Dems arrived, it would have been a bust. instead, 9 Democrats showed up, allowing this to happen. if there was party unity then you would have a point but Democrats aren't very good at standing together for anything. this is just another example of that.

it's calling knowing how to do your job. if this is technically a possibility, and your job is solely to navigate these arcane legal frameworks, you need to do your homework, and skip the morning parade to make sure your citizens don't suffer. how is that not placing optics over policy? it doesn't matter if they lied, the process still works, if it is legal then people will do it. they set up the rules so that they could do this kind of stuff. you have to expect this. complaining afterwards is pointless, but it is the Dem M.O.

also, what exactly did they veto? how come all of sudden everyone is an expert on NC fiscal budgetary decision-making? "shame on you" what exactly is at stake here? are we shaming some budgetary appropriations for highway repaving contracts or something? is this another scandal about bathroom signs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ornlu
May 22, 2018
See, I openly admit that each side has its moments and that none are better or above the other. But you.....you just can't resist. This is a real problem for Democrats and liberals. You honestly think you're better. Sad.
Exacept that's not what i said. I said the Dems do bad stuff too. Just not as often as Republicans.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

This shit is hilarious. A defense of "Well we didn't know we would have to do the job we're paid to do today!!!" isn't going to resonate with anyone who operates in the real world. That is exactly like being mad when you get fired for punching in at work and leaving, and a co-worker reporting that shit. It's not your co-worker's fault that you're a fucking grifter.

Show up to work. Work hard. Do your best. Especially if you get paid via other people's hard earned money.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: slugbahr

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

This shit is hilarious. A defense of "Well we didn't know we would have to do the job we're paid to do today!!!" isn't going to resonate with anyone who operates in the real world. That is exactly like being mad when you get fired for punching in at work and leaving, and a co-worker reporting that shit. It's not your co-worker's fault that you're a fucking grifter.

Show up to work. Work hard. Do your best. Especially if you get paid via other people's hard earned money.
And if they were at a 9/11 memorial event? And if the other side conspired to lie for the purposes of taking advantage of a day of remembrance for political subterfuge?

This shit is morally repugnant.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
See, I openly admit that each side has its moments and that none are better or above the other. But you.....you just can't resist. This is a real problem for Democrats and liberals. You honestly think you're better. Sad.
It's has reached cult status. Normal people have the ability to cut thru the bullshit when the guy rolls up with his bottle of snake oil and ask;

"What's really in the bottle"?

Those who cannot are easy to spot as they are the ones who don't have original thought, go along with the crowd always, and never have an actual answer to basically any question.

"Of course Republicans are worse"-(Citation needed)

"Of course I'm right all the time"-(Citation needed)

"Of course I'm on the right side of history"-(Citation needed)

"You don't agree with me?"-(Onset of delusion)

Some people's brains are so complex, their reasoning, and how they arrive to a solution is awe inspiring. Others you can actually hear the hamster start running inside their skull as they repeat exactly what you expect them to.

To some, one side always has nefarious intent. Best to agree with the "right" side, and stay "safe".

To others, everyone always has nefarious intent. Best to question everything, and everyone so you can stay informed.

Watch both sides. Stick in the middle. Make informed decisions.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
And if they were at a 9/11 memorial event? And if the other side conspired to lie for the purposes of taking advantage of a day of remembrance for political subterfuge?

This shit is morally repugnant.
All of the missing Democratic House Reps were at a 9/11 memorial event? I don't see that reported. If they were lied to, why did 9 show up for work?

It's morally repugnant to do your job? They are literally paid by the taxpayer to show up, debate, and vote. they aren't paid to campaign for re-election via 9/11 events. I know most of Congress would probably disagree with that, but it's the truth.

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
All of the missing Democratic House Reps were at a 9/11 memorial event? I don't see that reported. If they were lied to, why did 9 show up for work?

It's morally repugnant to do your job? They are literally paid by the taxpayer to show up, debate, and vote. they aren't paid to campaign for re-election via 9/11 events. I know most of Congress would probably disagree with that, but it's the truth.
Have you dealt with people? I could tell a group of people to be somewhere specifically or to not show up and you'd still have 10% of people that somehow still show up at the original spot.

You think they would attend 9/11 events specifically for campaigning?

I'd say taxpayers are paying representatives to uphold the values of democracy in the United States.

Reactions: DeafTourette

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Have you dealt with people? I could tell a group of people to be somewhere specifically or to not show up and you'd still have 10% of people that somehow still show up at the original spot.

I'd say taxpayers are paying representatives to uphold the values of democracy in the United States.
That's a bit rich since it's the democrats who are running on reshaping the Supreme Court, abolishing amendments to the Constitution and eliminating the electoral college.

Tax payers pay representatives to fight for whatever agenda they think is best in Congress. Clearly the NC GOP know their jobs

pennythots

May 14, 2019
also, what exactly did they veto? how come all of sudden everyone is an expert on NC fiscal budgetary decision-making? "shame on you" what exactly is at stake here? are we shaming some budgetary appropriations for highway repaving contracts or something? is this another scandal about bathroom signs?
teacher pay raise and a medicaid expansion

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

Yes, I've dealt with people. If 10% show up somewhere I specifically tell them not to, and they work for me...bye bye.

Yes, of course they would use 9/11 as a photo op/campaign event. That's what politicians do.

And if I'm paying for some politician to lobby/legislate on my behalf, xe better get xer's collective ass to work and get it done.

Reactions: #Phonepunk#

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
Reminds me of democrats using the nuclear option to eliminate filibusters.

This will be used against them in the future, and in my opinion was a bad choice. There will be no good will or compromise after this.

What exactly was on the line here that they felt the need to be so underhanded about it?

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Does anyone remember that Amazing Grace movie from a decade ago? The abolitionists do the exact same thing to lure opposition MP's out before staging a surprise vote.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
Reminds me of democrats using the nuclear option to eliminate filibusters.

This will be used against them in the future, and in my opinion was a bad choice. There will be no good will or compromise after this.

What exactly was on the line here that they felt the need to be so underhanded about it?
nc gop has had a supermajority for quite some time until last year's midterms and this is the first budget that they've had to deal with the other side since they've had the numbers to vote whatever through they want in the past.

nc's democrat governor vetoed the state budget and congress has been in a stalemate over it since. the NC state rep told the democrat leader that they would have a vote at 1 PM and then the speaker called for a vote this morning when only 61 out of 120 members were present.

Do I find the tactics distasteful? Of course but it's clear that Repubs and Dems (at least in NC) are playing two entirely different games and the Dems just aren't pulling it together right now.

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
nc gop has had a supermajority for quite some time until last year's midterms and this is the first budget that they've had to deal with the other side since they've had the numbers to vote whatever through they want in the past.

nc's democrat governor vetoed the state budget and congress has been in a stalemate over it since. the NC state rep told the democrat leader that they would have a vote at 1 PM and then the speaker called for a vote this morning when only 61 out of 120 members were present.

Do I find the tactics distasteful? Of course but it's clear that Repubs and Dems (at least in NC) are playing two entirely different games and the Dems just aren't pulling it together right now.
If it’s within the rules it’s within the rules. But it doesn’t seem to me like getting through a budget impasse is worth this kind of pettiness. Was there something fundamentally worth it in the bill? Sounds like the democrats are complaining something about healthcare?

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
If it’s within the rules it’s within the rules. But it doesn’t seem to me like getting through a budget impasse is worth this kind of pettiness. Was there something fundamentally worth it in the bill? Sounds like the democrats are complaining something about healthcare?
Probably wanting to pass something that would require massive tax increases. States don't have the same ability to spend forever without accountability like the Federal government does.

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019

• LOL
Reactions: HeresJohnny

ViceUniverse

Mar 12, 2019
This was a dirty move, and I hate to say it encourages scorched Earth politics.

Lol at Dems for falling for it though. Why believe your political adversary, NC of all places.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
teacher pay increase, medicaid expansion for low income citizens and stopping a corporate handout

Last edited:
Reactions: #Phonepunk#