• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Finished it. I think it's one of the best Marvel films.

One of my favorite scenes

I am a big fan of 90's and 00's Hong Kong cinema. The scene where his father is devolving back into the bad guy and leads him into that dive bar for revenge. The scenery and everyone's attire looking like a hard-boiled John Woo flick straight out of 1993. He then proceeds to murder them all and speak of blood debts. Perfect.

I don't get the crticism about the CGI. It wasn't any more or less glaring than any other Marvel movie, and at least it had a bunch of cool eastern mythological stuff.

Fbh

Watched it today.
Overall I enjoyed it, would definitely place it on the better side of standalone Marvel movies. Was a fun mix of martial arts, Chinese style over the top action and Marvel.

My bigges issue was that I liked the first half a lot better. The second half goes all in on the fake looking CG and the martial arts basically get replaced for over the top DBZ style fighting. Imo the movie would have been better if they had kept things a bit more grounded /ISPOILER]

Neolombax

Watched it over the weekend, I'd say its one of the better MCU movies out there. I enjoyed the action scenes better when they had less CGI in them, the earlier action choreography were really solid. But the battle at the end was a letdown. Didn't feel epic, didn't feel it was necessary honestly. And the weapon props were really bad I thought.

I just got done watching it and not surprising it's another mediocre Marvel film.

Not terrible but not worth ever seeing again.

Edit: and yes I agree that the CGI was crap.

MCU really is the McDonald's of movies only McDonald's is better.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I thought it was pretty great, and had no interest in it at all before giving in and checking it out tonight. The fight scene cinematography was done really well, as were the action sequences. The main lead was a little flat, but still had enough presence to not feel like it detracted from the movie. Even Awkwafina, who I usually find kind of unbearable, played her comic relief part pretty well by (fortunately) not being too over the top. So yeah, a pleasant surprise here.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

OMG, this film is so bloody weird.

To start with I was really invested. I thought we were getting a decent bit of human drama. The whole conflict between father and children was quite compelling, and I was looking forward to a conclusion based around that family dynamic.

….and then it’s into Chinese Lord Of The Rings, with cgi monsters, endless bullshittery, and a deeply unsatisfying climax of ones and zeros.

Fuck me, Marvel. You just can’t stop yourselves from the same old computer generated, epic scale, empty-ass wankery, can you? This could have been such a great film, if it concentrated on the human relationships, and kept the conflict on that visceral, relatable level.

But nah… giant dragon fights soul sucking tentacle monster!

fuck about 😂
Bitch, you didn't get a skybeam this time. Be grateful. :messenger_tongue:

I'm a fan of Marvel movies, but you're almost guaranteed to have a CG-splooged third act with a faceless robot or monster army that the heroes can wreck without moral consequences. It is what it is. I'm a sucker for the spectacle.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Combat choreography wise think it's easily one of the top one's from Marvel.

Plot is ok for an introduction movie, gets easily predicted.

Not a fan of Awkwafina's character. Humor is to forced for my taste and she plays it too dorkly.

But overall was better than I expected.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious now which phase 4 character would work well with Shang-Chi style fight choreography. Obviously they could reintroduce Iron Fist with a competent actor and it seems like they are pairing him up with the sorcerers already. Maybe the new Black Widow could handle that kind of fighting? New cap/falcon? I don't really see it. Makes me wonder what fighting style Blade will have. Mostly swordplay or also lots of kung fu or MMA. Snipes was an accomplished martial artist himself, not so sure about Ali. Daredevil is the obvious choice but Shang-Chi is FIRMLY out of the "Street level hero" realm IMHO. Could set up the Ten Ring org against the Fist though I suppose.

Anyway, I hope the stunt team and fight cinematography in Shang-chi persists through some of the other films, those were a lot of fun, even if the rings themselves seemed kinda superfluous given how well EVERYONE handled weapons.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm curious now which phase 4 character would work well with Shang-Chi style fight choreography. Obviously they could reintroduce Iron Fist with a competent actor and it seems like they are pairing him up with the sorcerers already. Maybe the new Black Widow could handle that kind of fighting? New cap/falcon? I don't really see it. Makes me wonder what fighting style Blade will have. Mostly swordplay or also lots of kung fu or MMA. Snipes was an accomplished martial artist himself, not so sure about Ali. Daredevil is the obvious choice but Shang-Chi is FIRMLY out of the "Street level hero" realm IMHO. Could set up the Ten Ring org against the Fist though I suppose.

Anyway, I hope the stunt team and fight cinematography in Shang-chi persists through some of the other films, those were a lot of fun, even if the rings themselves seemed kinda superfluous given how well EVERYONE handled weapons.

They're going to need someone else from Jackie's team since the dude from Beautiful died earlier this year.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Anyone who says the cgi was great is most likely blind or an idiot. The movie was pretty good, certainly not as bad/overrated as many of the origin marvel stories like BP, Capt Marvel, Capt America 1 and whatnot but nowhere near the top stuff. It's in the middle'ish and only due to the last half, because the first half was trash tier especially the cgi with the buss and the car. The dragon stuff was cool the fights were cool and the comedy stuff plus the cameos were really funny. Other than that, it's a safe movie, nothing really outstanding.

Last edited:

Jin

I enjoyed it, but didn't like Awkwafina's character. It played off as a forced comedian sidekick. Tony Leung was so good and stole every scene he's in.

this movie was such shit. watched it last night. they actualy had some decently choreographed fights early in the movie. leave it to Marvel to turn into some CGI mess where stupid CGI dragons fight each other towards the end of the film instead of some actual martial arts scenes

what a joke. it was better than Black Widow so I guess it has that going for it. should have kept it more in line with something like Winter Soldier and put a stronger emphasis on actual fight scenes over CGI BS.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
this movie was such shit. watched it last night. they actualy had some decently choreographed fights early in the movie. leave it to Marvel to turn into some CGI mess where stupid CGI dragons fight each other towards the end of the film instead of some actual martial arts scenes

what a joke. it was better than Black Widow so I guess it has that going for it. should have kept it more in line with something like Winter Soldier and put a stronger emphasis on actual fight scenes over CGI BS.

They are comic book characters... Even the Ultimate universe which they're based on couldn't escape that they were dealing in a fantasy world.

And there's plenty of room for fantasy (Doctor Strange, WandaVision, Captain Marvel...) as well as some realism (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye...). It hasn't all been CGI 3rd acts but that's the fantasy, absurd "realism" of comic films.

Want realism? Go watch Batman Begins, I guess.

They are comic book characters... Even the Ultimate universe which they're based on couldn't escape that they were dealing in a fantasy world.

And there's plenty of room for fantasy (Doctor Strange, WandaVision, Captain Marvel...) as well as some realism (like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye...). It hasn't all been CGI 3rd acts but that's the fantasy, absurd "realism" of comic films.

Want realism? Go watch Batman Begins, I guess.
It's the usual practical effects snobs nitpicking lol

I hope the MCU goes even more CGI :p

I just got done watching it and not surprising it's another mediocre Marvel film.

Not terrible but not worth ever seeing again.

Edit: and yes I agree that the CGI was crap.

MCU really is the McDonald's of movies only McDonald's is better.

It has become too formulaic I'm afraid.
I recently watched this again on Disney+ and feel like it is not as good as the first time I watched it (perhaps no crowd reaction had something to do with it).
I enjoy it still just because of Tony Leung and the Kung Fu visuals, but I feel the MCU has passed its prime at this point.

Last edited:

Billbofet

It has become too formulaic I'm afraid.
I recently watched this again on Disney+ and feel like it is not as good as the first time I watched it (perhaps no crowd reaction had something to do with it).
I enjoy it still just because of Tony Leung and the Kung Fu visuals, but I feel the MCU has passed its prime at this point.
I feel like the best thing Marvel has going right now is the promise of better things to come....hopefully.
The movies lately have been formulaic, predictable, and weightless, and it's been a while since we've gotten a really good one like Ragnarok or Winter Soldier.
I have high hopes for Spidey, but I'm also nervous it opens up a can of worms for weak-ass multidimensional bullshit making all movies going forward even more weightless.

Also, I want an entire movie with Tony Leung. Shang-Chi was a totally forgettable nothing-burger compared to Dad.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe I set my expectations too high after originally having next to no expectations, but positive reviews had me excited, but I thought it was just ok. Once it got into the super fantasy CGI part of the movie, it kinda lost me. It just felt way over the top. It was fun though, which is all I really ask from a marvel movie, but I don’t think it was great or close to one of the better marvel films.

The Skull

Finally got around to watching this today. Honestly it was meh at best. The kung fu was refreshing for the MCU but everything else was cookie cutter Marvel as normal. Some neat ideas that were bogged down by some standard cringe. The final CGI fest was actually pretty decent and that's porbabaly the best bits in the movie.

HoodWinked

The funny thing is the scaffold fight was easily the worst part despite the vfx composition being good.

It was a stupidly designed fight that never felt like they were never in any danger of falling off

sol_bad

The funny thing is the scaffold fight was easily the worst part despite the vfx composition being good.

It was a stupidly designed fight that never felt like they were never in any danger of falling off

That is easily best best fight with the most interesting choreography. And some of the camera work is next level to be honest.

*EDIT*
What the eff? Akwafina falling was CGI?

Last edited:

Aggelos

Plot twist: In the potential sequel of Shan-Chi, the eponymous protagonist will be working as an Air Traffic Controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom