• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

me0wish

It will be $10.

To those who have it, would you say that price point is justified?

Tbh, as much as I liked it, 10$ is not justified, It's basically Pirate's Curse abilities in HGH, with hardly any new content. The level layout is hardly changed, the game is only 2 hours long, and 50 minutes of it is back tracking, not even the fun type of back tracking.

Overall, mechanically I found it superior to HGH, but PQ doesn't have enough content or exploration, and replaying the levels over again makes it feel repetitive especially considering that hardly anything is changed.

IMHO, 5$ would of been an instant buy, but 10$ is definitely too much.

Ganado

It will be $10.

To those who have it, would you say that price point is justified?

Finished my first run at 1:54, got 100% at 2:13.
Second playthrough 100% in 1:22.

It's really good, love the mechanics, but otherwise it's just slightly remixed levels with
the same bosses,
except the last boss
Make what you want with it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OUCH, $10??? I was ready to get it at $5 or maybe even $7, but $10 feels a bit too high, guess I'll wait for a sale or bundle that includes the other DLC characters.

RedToad64

Finished my first run at 1:54, got 100% at 2:13.
Second playthrough 100% in 1:22.

It's really good, love the mechanics, but otherwise it's just slightly remixed levels with
the same bosses,
except the last boss
Make what you want with it.

Tbh, as much as I liked it, 10$ is not justified, It's basically Pirate's Curse abilities in HGH, with hardly any new content. The level layout is hardly changed, the game is only 2 hours long, and 50 minutes of it is back tracking, not even the fun type of back tracking.

Overall, mechanically I found it superior to HGH, but PQ doesn't have enough content or exploration, and replaying the levels over again makes it feel repetitive especially considering that hardly anything is changed.

IMHO, 5$ would of been an instant buy, but 10$ is definitely too much.
Hmmm. Sounds like I will wait for a sale then.

Thanks for the response, guys.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wow just because the PS4 DLC was pending I got free Steam codes for the full game AND the Pirates DLC??? That's awesome! It came at a perfect time too cause I just bought a used laptop!

Man I may sound like a shill but that is real swell of WayForward! I didn't expect that as compensation at all!

Prisoner

Any tips on how to get the Risky Revolution trophy/achievement? (probably some speedrun time limit)

Obtain all 4 win screens. The condition for each screen is:
  1. Complete the game
  2. Complete the game with 100%
  3. Complete the game with 100% under a certain time
  4. Complete the game under a certain time
I not sure what the exact time limits are but I can tell you how I got the trophy:

I did two playthroughs. I got the first 3 screens on my first playthrough (beating the game in 1 hour 55 minutes with 100%). I got the last screen by beating the game in approximately 1 hour 5 minutes.

Obtain all 4 win screens. The condition for each screen is:
  1. Complete the game
  2. Complete the game with 100%
  3. Complete the game with 100% under a certain time
  4. Complete the game under a certain time
I not sure what the exact time limits are but I can tell you how I got the trophy:

I did two playthroughs. I got the first 3 screens on my first playthrough (beating the game in 1 hour 55 minutes with 100%). I got the last screen by beating the game in approximately 1 hour 5 minutes.

I got 3 of them by beating the game 100% under 2 hours (and just two screens over 2 hours), so I guess the time limit for 100% is 2 hours. My other guess is that beating the game under 1:30 might be the 4th screen.

I'm confused by these codes. It says Comp PQQ steam code (PS4 NA)
Is it for PS4 or steam? I'm playing it on PS4 but they give me a steam code?

Haganeren

I uh don't understand.

I have bought on Wii U Shantae Half Genie Hero, and as i was disappointed by the game i thought i would wait for the free updates to add more content before playing it again.

.... And now i heard it's 10$ to have those updates ? How many ? Is there others ones which will coming as well ? Shouldn't we wait for the complete package to be out since it seems they will charge each content update ?

I don't totaly understand how it works to be honest.

Shadio

I uh don't understand.

I have bought on Wii U Shantae Half Genie Hero, and as i was disappointed by the game i thought i would wait for the free updates to add more content before playing it again.

.... And now i heard it's 10$ to have those updates ? How many ? Is there others ones which will coming as well ? Shouldn't we wait for the complete package to be out since it seems they will charge each content update ?

I don't totaly understand how it works to be honest.

There has been at least one free update already, adding content such as the hardcore difficulty mode. I'm not sure if there is any more planned.

This is the first of several paid DLC updates. I believe there will be at least three more, adding playable campaigns for Sky, Bolo and Rottytops.

Kickstarter backers get all the DLC for free.

Just played and beat Risky mode this morning.

Regarding the ending,
maybe it's because I'm a feels junkie, but I was expecting it to be a lot sadder than it actually was. I was dreading what would happen after beating Shantae. But she just explodes, and Risky's plan is foiled anyway because her crew is incompetent. I know it's a cartoony, lighthearted game, but that ending felt unsatisfying.

Should be getting my PS4 DLC code soon then! I got the game and DLC for free on Steam cause of the PS4 delay so im good with waiting.
Ooooh, that was the part i misunderstood !

Well, i guess i will wait for everything to come and buy it again on discount.... I suppose not on Wii U at this point. Thanks for the clarification.
This DLC is going to come out on Wii U. Updates are free. DLC will cost money. So the Risky Boots DLC, plus the Friends of Shantae DLC, and other cosmetic things if they decide to make some, all those will cost money.

Anything else coming is free for the game.

There is at least one more update planned.

Loz246789

Bought, played and beat the Pirate Queen's quest dlc today, it's pretty solid. If you're looking for outright new content (ala the specter knight campaign from shovel knight), there's not too much here, but if you're looking to replay the game this is an excellent way to do so. Some cool new enemy types
I love the mummy cyclops ball thing, it's adorable
, Risky herself is fantastic to play as, and the level layouts are either remixed enough, or are inherently different enough due to your pirate skillset, that it felt like a separate campaign, albeit still clearly based on the original. Also if you like speedrunning this mode seems like it has a lot of potential with both how it's structured, and the upgrade system. Also also, the final boss is pretty great.

I do wish there was some new music for this expansion, and if you didn't like the level based metroidvania experience of the original campaign, this probably won't do much to change your mind, but if you liked the base game you'll probably like this.

Bladenic

I used my Vita code, finished downloading, installed, and yet when I load my file the Risky portrait is black and says Coming Soon.

Help?

Pokemaniac

So, I'm playing through Pirate Queen's Quest on Switch, and it keeps crashing during one of the more challenging platforming segments in
Risky's Lair
. Is anyone else seeing anything like that?

EDIT: Well, I managed to make it through at least. Must only happen after running into the spikes enough times.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
XSEED Games said:
Shantae fans, we have the news you’ve been waiting for! The lovely hair-whipping, belly dancing half-genie is coming to the Nintendo Switch™ in the physical Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition! Get ready to feel the beat as you jump, fight, and transform through this exciting adventure!

And she won’t be alone!

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition will include the Pirate Queen’s Quest! Slide into bodacious buccaneer Risky Boots’ stylish footwear as you traverse Sequin Land in a brand-new storyline as the Queen of the Seven Seas!

Not only that, the Ultimate Edition will come with “Friends Mode” and “Costume Mode”! In Friends Mode, Shantae’s pals Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops must survive Shantae’s Nightmare and save their friend from doom, while Costume Mode provides three new arcade-style adventures; Dash, slash, and teleport as Ninja Shantae, work on your tan as Beach Shantae, or alter the level around you ‘Mighty Switch Force’ style as Officer Shantae!

Stay tuned for more details, including the release date, or you can also follow WayForward on Twitter at @WayForward and like their Facebook page to get all the latest news! https://www.facebook.com/WayForward/

95EIU0Gl.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDGames/posts/10154947997528354

Looks like another physical copy of this for me to buy.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So they folded all the other stretch goal characters into one mode? Honestly, I'm fine with that, I don't know that I'd care enough to play three more modes in the style of the Risky Boots mode.

Wow I'm glad I waited, I definitely want it physical for Switch. In fact I haven't even played the Wii U code I got from the Kickstarter yet so this'll be perfect.

Top Bottom