• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Release Date Announced (9/27)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
r9LrfrF.png

eNYiG42.png

September 27th. Digital and physical. RET-2-GO!

Ogodei

I'll get my Wii U copy free from $15 i put down three years ago. That should be well-timed, too, I usually get a game for my birthday right before Labor Day, and this is spaced out well before Pokemon.

I think I have three or four copies of the deluxe backer exclusive edition coming to me (has an exclusive transformation and a few added costumes and items, including Hyper Light Drifter crossovers).

I'm keeping two, but I wonder what the spares would be worth to somebody.

SeanTSC

Is this Metroidvania-styled like Pirate's Curse or more of a pure platformer?

Tom from XSEED described it like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205461156&postcount=70

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, then, follows the trend of every Shantae game feeling similar to the last, but doing something completely different at the same time. The first game was kind of like a really polished take on the Castlevania II formula, the second used the layer-cake approach of Monster World IV, and the third was more of a traditional Metroidvania but split up onto a bunch of islands with a single hub world in the middle. Half-Genie Hero, then, feels more arcade-like in its approach, but with a Metroidvania twist. It's very fun, and will definitely live up to the high standards set by the current Shantae trilogy. (I'd say more, but it's not really in my place to do so, since this is still WayForward's baby first and foremost! So it's up to them to give you guys all the grand reveals on features, unique levels, story elements, etc.)

Zubz

Banned
Wait, did backers already pick their systems? I probably would've picked Wii U, but honestly, I'd probably get more mileage out of the PS4 version at this point.

Fitz

Was really hoping for a physical release for PC, but doesn't look like that's happening. Oh well, will enjoy nonetheless.

Gravidee

Wait, did backers already pick their systems? I probably would've picked Wii U, but honestly, I'd probably get more mileage out of the PS4 version at this point.

If you want to pick/change the system of choice, you can contact WF directly if you have an account on their site.

Thoraxes

In for a physical Vita version I guess. While i'd like to have it crisp on the TV, I can't pass up a chance to have another game to bring with me to work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well well, I'm a sucker for physical releases. Will probably buy a retail copy for Wii U and Vita.

Just finished playing through Pirate's Curse on 3DS, which I bought on a whim (for 79p!) in that Humble Bundle. Couldn't put it down, and I usually find Metroidvania style games far too difficult and self serious. The only downside was the unnecessarily sexualised character designs.

Shame there's no 3DS release for this one.

Meffer

Just finished playing through Pirate's Curse on 3DS, which I bought on a whim (for 79p!) in that Humble Bundle. Couldn't put it down, and I usually find Metroidvania style games far too difficult and self serious. The only downside was the unnecessarily sexualised character designs.

Shame there's no 3DS release for this one.
That's kinda the point and charm.

Awesome, backing this should take the bad taste from backing Mighty No. 9 out of my mouth. It's running off the Ducktales remake engine, right?

My first video game kickstarter that's finally delivering. Between this, Heart Forth, Alicia and Soul Saga I was beginning to lose hope.

I don't think you understand the meaning of 'sexist'

Well I think the hyper-sexualisation of characters in video games is so common that it serves to exclude female gamers, as the subtext is "this game was designed for men". Plus the obvious implication of women being sexual objects etc etc. I mean, I expect it from something like GTA or whatever, but I find it sad that a modern indie developer is still creating female characters with huge breasts. I get it's like 90s throwback, but it doesn't excuse it.

Anyway, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the game. It was more slightly frustrating, as the gameplay was so fantastic that I just wanted the character design to grow up a bit. There are plenty of other threads about sexism in gaming so we should probably just leave it at. My original comment was only meant to be a side note, apologies for derailing.

Meffer

Well I think the hyper-sexualisation of characters in video games is so common that it serves to exclude female gamers, as the subtext is "this game was designed for men". Plus the obvious implication of women being sexual objects etc etc. I mean, I expect it from something like GTA or whatever, but I find it sad that a modern indie developer is still creating female characters with huge breasts. I get it's like 90s throwback, but it doesn't excuse it.

Anyway, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the game. It was more slightly frustrating, as the gameplay was so fantastic that I just wanted the character design to grow up a bit. There are plenty of other threads about sexism in gaming so we should probably just leave it at. My original comment was only meant to be a side note, apologies for derailing.
Friends I know who are women like Shantae and they like that the female characters embrace their sexuality. It doesn't demean them. "I like Shantae's design, she's cute and sexy."
I think the main point of the games is that they're so fun to look that. They're colorful, animations are superb and the designs are fun.

Sealtest

oh man I can't decide if I want wii u or PS4.

I'll be sad if they actually do make an amiibo down the road if I buy the PS4 version :(

I'm waiting for the game to be on Amazon, I'll pre-order both PSVita and PS4. Do we know if the game will be PSTV compatible and if it'll have all the kickstater streachgoals available when the game releases?

Top Bottom