• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition releasing in Europe next year (PS4&Switch)

Shiggy

PQube (London, UK) April 21, 2017 – PQube is pleased to announce that we will be releasing the Ultimate Edition of WayForward's critically acclaimed action-platformer, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, in Europe on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch in 2018.

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition include the original game along with The Pirate Queen's Quest, and the upcoming Friends Mode and Costumes Mode DLC. The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition is coming both physically and digitally to PS4 and Switch.

As the defender of Scuttle Town, Shantae has defeated steam-powered pirates, sinister undead and a military takeover in a bid to keep her home town safe, but now, the sassy half-genie must rise to the occasion once again as the Queen of the Seven Seas, Risky Boots, plots to steal a newly discovered limitless source of power.

Experience Shantae's return to consoles in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition, featuring full HD for the first time, with gorgeously animated hand drawn graphics that brings the magical world of Sequin Land to life in ways never seen before!

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition will dance its way on to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch in 2018!

https://gonintendo.com/stories/290794-shantae-half-genie-hero-ultimate-edition-is-heading-to-europe

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Awesome news... Wish they could narrow down the release window a bit more. Just 2018 seems a bit weird.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Awesome news... Wish they could narrow down the release window a bit more. Just 2018 seems a bit weird.

WayForward's notoriously slow when it comes to Shantae and they only just finished the Risky Boots DLC, who knows how long it'll take them to finish the rest.

Like I said in some other thread, it seems like they've consolidated some of the stretch goal/DLC content: they promised modes for a few other playable characters but it seems they're going to put them all in one mode, which might annoy a few people.

TheMoon

WayForward's notoriously slow when it comes to Shantae and they only just finished the Risky Boots DLC, who knows how long it'll take them to finish the rest.

Like I said in some other thread, it seems like they've consolidated some of the stretch goal/DLC content: they promised modes for a few other playable characters but it seems they're going to put them all in one mode, which might annoy a few people.

Better put effort into one than stretch yourself thin and half ass multiples just to tick off a box. I'd say if you don't have a Shovel Knight-level success, you can't really afford to do that massive level of support.

How many times am I going to buy this game?! I don't care though I love me more Shantae! Definitely buying this one! It's good to hear more about Friend's Mode! I just wonder if they're going to give Bolo, Sky, and Rottytops their own voice actors to say one or two lines like Shantae and Risky do.

Also we got a US confirmation too so I'm excited!

JackelZXA

Friends mode is what I predicted. Dawn of Sorrow julius mode makes sense when i realised bolo had a big chain ball melee move, sky could fly, and rotty's head would probably be for getting into small places. (Plus i doubt the other two would be as popular as rotty to sell on their own)

Costumes "Mode" makes me think it'll actually just let you swap between them on the fly? Maybe at the bath house? (Having it be an item toggle like the stuff you buy at shops could be clumsy...i wonder if blue shantae and gbc risky count as costume mode?) i imagine it'd be shantaes regular outfit, beach, ninja, cop, and pyjamas (iirc they mentioned those would be available but with less defense)

How are the Shantae games in terms of difficulty? I would imagine the aesthetics would interest my daughter, but she's only four and a half, so I prefer not falling into the trap of buying something far outside of her abilities. She's played Super Mario Odyssey, Knack and Crash Trilogy, where she's able to play for the most part by herself without help (Crash is the one she struggles most with).

How are the Shantae games in terms of difficulty? I would imagine the aesthetics would interest my daughter, but she's only four and a half, so I prefer not falling into the trap of buying something far outside of her abilities. She's played Super Mario Odyssey, Knack and Crash Trilogy, where she's able to play for the most part by herself without help (Crash is the one she struggles most with).
They're somewhat forgiving, but there are some spots that may give her some struggle. At the least maybe play it with her and help her out if the going gets tough I know one area in particular that I can see giving a lot of less experienced gamers trouble because it's essentially timed.

I have a few Steam (and Wii U) keys for sale in the BST thread.

Half-Genie Hero definitely has a bit of NES/SNES difficulty to it. The final part of the game is quite brutal.

Hmmm, NES/SNES era games have been more difficult for her, while something like Odyssey just clicked at once. How is the early difficulty? That's more important than how it ends up. If it gets a bit harder, it's a good game for scaffolding, allowing me to help her improve and be able to do it on her own.

OH-MyCar

Obviously it's a bit difficult to compare 3D platformers to 2D ones, but for what it's worth I find the Shantae games to be about as difficult as Mario Odyssey. You can't fall asleep while playing, and there are challenging moments, but they're not quite at the level of "retro" difficulty (mind that I'm about 60-70% through Half-Genie Hero so I've not played the final part that was mentioned).

To me, the absolute hardest set of levels were the sand tower and maybe the area immediately after, if only because I tend to play platformers very impatiently. I hot dog too much.

OTOH, if you game patiently, I don't think much of HGH is too terribly difficult. It's certainly not Hardcore mode.

Chessr

I have a few Steam (and Wii U) keys for sale in the BST thread.

Half-Genie Hero definitely has a bit of NES/SNES difficulty to it. The final part of the game is quite brutal.

Depends if you find all items and upgrade abilities :) then last level is walk in a Park easy :)

They're a bit mixed. They can be pretty easy at times, and then have a section that as a pretty big difficulty spike, and the conclusion level is usually pretty challenging, requiring you do use everything you've learned. She should be able to handle a lot of the game herself, but you will definitely need to help her at times.

Mecha Meow

My copy along with Donkey Kong are still stuck at the PO because people don't know how to put things in PO boxes earlier in the day. Sorry, I'm a bit salty atm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom