• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shark" - Netflix gaming platform iOS app code contains images of Dual Sense and Ghost of Tsushima

JLB

Banned
Someone at Apple will need to explain why Netflix gets special treatment and can stream games through their app while Stadia/Xbox/Geforce can't. If this turns out to be the case.
a. its not the case
b. apple actually is free to do whatever they want in its walled garden. Same as Sony didnt give the freedom to their users to sub to ea play.

elliot5

a. its not the case
b. apple actually is free to do whatever they want in its walled garden. Same as Sony didnt give the freedom to their users to sub to ea play.
huh? EA Play is available on PlayStation though?

I'm pretty sure the whole walled garden thing is what the whole apple v epic court case is about and creates a double standard to allow some apps to stream game libraries in a dedicated App store app vs Safari.

Bryank75

Banned
If there is a serious rollout of fiber and not the half ass one that has been going on then it will work in the future. A buddy of mine pings la servers under 15 ms from Sacramento. You could get lower than that with more data centers obviously. Unfortunately a lot of people only have access to mediocre or bad service.

Meh, I don't think most people will want to play like that.

Maybe it has an audience.

Maybe it can be a gateway to console and PC gaming....which will always be the core of gaming. IMO

Zok310

Banned
Works out great for both if true. NF gets to launch their games streaming platform with PS ip means that’s one company they don’t have to compete with. Finally PS ip benefit off the exposure NF install base will bring.
Netflix can also turn around an have PS studios make their games for them, NF don’t have to worry about buying up studious and managing devs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If there is a serious rollout of fiber and not the half ass one that has been going on then it will work in the future. A buddy of mine pings la servers under 15 ms from Sacramento. You could get lower than that with more data centers obviously. Unfortunately a lot of people only have access to mediocre or bad service.

I am testing 2 gig fiber for my small service provider in southern Indiana and my ping to nearby larger cities is great and I don't want any part of streaming games.

Here was my ping today from about 8 hours drive away

O4nff2G.png

reinking

Gold Member
If this is true. A big if. If this works. Another big if. It would be crazy. Talk about instantly expanding your streaming market. Would Sony games be playable on every device Netflix is available? Would this include Xbox? That could be fun to watch unfold.

In all seriousness, even if this is true I do not expect it to be Sony's entire catalogue or even all of the PS Now catalogue. I think Sony would treat it like PC games and be selective about what they would allow on Netflix. After all, it is the Sony way.

e&e

Banned
The only way I could see it being any way useful is of having a niche in countries where gaming is prohibitively expensive for most people.

However I think most will still prefer and aspire to own a console / hardware.

There's no point in going backwards in terms of tech just to accommodate more people......the core gamers are the 'whales', you can see that from PS5 game sales..... with only 10 million sales, PS5 game sales are way ahead of PS4 already at least in terms of chart-games. Despite PS4 having 120 million units.

You also speak for 'people'..... most people are not gamers. You need a controller to play anything anyway. Gaming is and always has been super cheap, especially with the second hand market..........you could get a PS3/4 for 100 euro with tons of games. There is no accessibility issue for most people.
Did Sony release info for this worldwide? Any links?

ksdixon

I am still confused at why Netflix is making an ios app (or update) that they know is going to get blocked.
How's that Epic vs Apple court case going? How would Netflix / Epic (Fortnite) / Netflix Gaming/PSNow all not being on Apple effect things?

Wasn't the ipad marketed as a lazing about entertainment device for Netflix, and surely the quality of games on PSNow/NFLXGaming far outweighs whatever is on Apple Arcade?

Tygeezy

I am testing 2 gig fiber for my small service provider in southern Indiana and my ping to nearby larger cities is great and I don't want any part of streaming games.

Here was my ping today from about 8 hours drive away

O4nff2G.png
That’s as good as I stream with my own network because moca adds a few milliseconds of latency when converting to Ethernet.

Dude, your connection is outstanding for streaming.

reksveks

How's that Epic vs Apple court case going? How would Netflix / Epic (Fortnite) / Netflix Gaming/PSNow all not being on Apple effect things?

Wasn't the ipad marketed as a lazing about entertainment device for Netflix, and surely the quality of games on PSNow/NFLXGaming far outweighs whatever is on Apple Arcade?
Still waiting for the judge's decision but I don't know if epic will get anything like what they want.

I think the iOS audience is a captive one especially in the US. If they pushed it into the main app, which I think that they would need to do and get Netflix ios app kicked off. I am not sure what happens, whether Netflix just makes a PWA instead.

Bryank75

Banned
So I was right to think your post was odd, because the current theme is attach ratio is not so good…

Really? Where was that coming from?

And what do you count? Do you count all games bought since the person moved to PS5? Or just the PS5 only games? Or just the games with upgrade? Or all games since the person owned a PS4?
It's a complicated issue.

Many are being sold in a bundle and every console comes with Astrobot, so I doubt it could be that bad.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Did Sony release info for this worldwide? Any links?
They shared related info on this a few years ago - highlighting that 'early adopters' each generate several thousand $ of software revenue over the lifetime of a console gen.
So yea, proportionally a lot more valuable, or what mobile guys call 'whales'.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
HUGE is true. Leveraging Netflix existing userbase to reach wider audience would be a genius move. The question if the hardware can handle it?

EDIT:
I also wonder what the payment scheme would be - would Sony get a cut from the existing fees? Or would the price increase, no matter if you're interested in games or not? Or would it be a separate, additional fee?

Last edited:

onesvenus

This would be really huge. I'd love to see it working but I have a lot of technical doubts:

1. What makes Netflix great above other streaming companies tech-wise is using edge caching, which won't work at all with games.
2. They could somehow reach an agreement with AWS to have PS4/PS5 racks on there but that's not the same as AWS adding Apple hardware to their datacenters. In that case there was an AWS product that required it, not a client.
3. Even if the agreement in the previous point is reached, having infrastructure to support 200M users from night to day is not a small feat. Even more seeing the chip shortage. I can see a gradual rollout which means the numbers won't be as big as Sony fanboys would like to claim Gamepass dead
4. Not all Netflix players are able to sync to a dualsense controller. Further limiting the number of available users.
5. It's a radically different approach to what Netflix is used to, which is having a reduced core infrastructure with a really expansive edge-caching one.

As I said before, I'd love to see it working. It would be an earthquake of a bigger magnitude than when Microsoft bought Bethesda. Those are most probably placeholders to show how it'd work and nothing else, though.

pasterpl

This might be the only way for Sony to make psnow relevant. What I am not sure about is, why would anyone expect this to explode on Netflixmwith their 200 min subscribers when it isn’t that popular with 120 mln PlayStation owners which are gamers?

reksveks

Why do people put stupid irrelevant culture war adjacent posts in threads like this but moving on.

I would be interested if this happens what's the arrangement. We expecting Sony licensing cloud streaming rights for their games to Netflix? At what point? Six months after physical release.

Does Netflix separately go after other games?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Can't find a PS5?

Subscribe to the Gaming Tier of Netflix ($20 a month for 1080p streaming, $25 for 4K HDR) and play PS5 exclusives on your TV!
25 dollars for 4k?

Should be 40 dollars per month at least, we are talking about Sony exclusives baby.

MastaKiiLA

Interesting, if true. Netflix has the largest streaming userbase. Converting a percentage of that population could be easier than trying to build their own service. Revenue split would also be interesting. This would theoretically be a mutual partnership, as Sony would get access to a massive audience, even if only a small fraction converts, and Netflix gets a large game platform partner to help them extend into the gaming sector. It's not for me, but the prospect is compelling on the business side. The leader in gaming pairing up with the leader in streaming? That is pretty wild.

nbkicker

I seriously hope sony not joining with netflix, i dont want any part of streaming gaming, the day you get a console and u just streaming games over the internet is the day i stop gaming, sony need to concentrate on getting games out on the ps5 instead of there developers converting games for pc etc or changing the games so they run both ps4 and ps5

CuNi

I agree. Every Netflix subscriber is instantly going to become a gamer and subscribe to PSnow. I can already see my 67yr old dad getting a dual sense controller in anticipation……

The wet dreams of fanboys never cease to amaze me

Also curious how it would handle multiple users. NETFLIX 4K plan allows up to 4 simultaneous viewers. Does this translate directly or is the plan a side grade where you have to buy a special opt in plan? 1 user only? 4 users?

I doubt this deal is happening as Sony is mostly interested in profit and giving access to 4 potential customers with one 5$ sub is just a loss of revenue.

If this was to happen it does make sense that they would want a partnership of some kind and I suppose Sony would make sense. Not just because of the games but they also have their film, TV and music content that they may be able to utilise too. They also have their Cruncyroll and Funimation streaming services that they may want to combine.
I'd also say that maybe it could even become a home for Sony's tournaments and game streaming services at some point.

Jim Ryan (April 2021):
"We could conceivably use the cloud for our technical infrastructure, but the cloud gaming experience we're offering will be unique and only on PlayStation," Ryan said, revealing that Sony's cloud service is planned for PS users only. Ryan goes on to say, in response to a question on whether cloud tech will disrupt PlayStation's traditional hardware cycle, that "at the end of the cycle, the cloud may play some role. I'm more optimistic about the future than I was a year ago."
It certainly would be unique if this was to happen. Not saying it will happen, but who knows.

mejin

The best streaming service could only work with the best in the gaming market. Makes totally sense.

Bartski

Gold Member
it's not much, but with PS Plus being hosted on Azure, the latest Playstation DevOps engineering job offer in the UK defines the key role as Amazon Web Service based cloud services support :

• Support and maintain a large scale Web application, and collaborate on new cloud based services (AWS)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
HBO doesn't have the hardware infrastrucre. Plus TLOU is just one IP of theres.
And the biggest plus, these deals are made on a case by case basis and do not influence future deals made between different parts of the company. FFS every company has relationships with loosely competing ones. Companies use MS products hosted on Amazon's cloud while building products for Microsoft, Amazon, and Google. Every deal can be completely independent.

Holy shit. Sony/Netflix partnership.

Xcloud, stadia..…Dead, their families….Dead
Yeah, the vast overwhelming majority of Playstation owners don't care about PSNow. And you think Netflix users are going to save it?

I honestly don't see how they could make it work. I'm sure if both invested heavily into the venture, sure. But there's tons of pieces that need to be put together for this to work.

Do they expect people to buy a dualsense?
Does Netflix price go up?
Would anything with a Netflix app be able to use this?
How would Netflix acquire the servers?
Why would anyone buy a PS5 if they've got Netflix.

fermcr

LOL. How easily minds change.
Sony fanboys claimed they didn't care about streaming games or a service like Gamepass... now all of sudden it's great news a rumored service with Netflix and Sony.

Last edited:
Does Netflix price go up?
Price will not go up. I have a thread about this. Netflix Gaming vs Netflix of Gaming . I'll just quote myself.

Netflix spent $17B on content in 2020. What if just $2B of that went into buying old successful games or including making their own games? = Game streaming to casuals of 300 million subs.

How does it benefit Netflix? Retention. More variety of entertainment that could hook a subscriber when the show he's binge-watching is over.

How does Netflix try to grow and retain its subscriber for now? Netflix provides a lot of movies and shows that will cater to every taste. Netflix has, old shows, new shows, Western, Asian, Latino, Arabic, European, Anime, teen movies, kids shows - all of them you can possibly imagine.

Would anything with a Netflix app be able to use this?
That's how it should work, or they'll miss the opportunity.

Last edited:
LOL. How easily minds are changed in minutes.
Sony fanboys claimed they didn't care about streaming games or a service like Gamepass... now all of sudden it's great news about a rumored service with Netflix and Sony.

I'd hate it if it will offer Sony's 1st party games day 1 of release with an option to download.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
So basically exclusives do not exist. Sony will chase the subscription trend but in partnerships with big players like Netflix. Similar to what they do with movies

elliot5

I'd hate it if it will offer Sony's 1st party games day 1 of release with an option to download.

There's a report that the gaming aspect will not increase the price. So I expect this will offer old games just like PS Now. Casuals will not complain that the games are not day 1. They subscribe to Netflix for the movies and shows. This should just be an added value.
netflix ups their price by $1 it seems almost every 6 months lol there's no shot they don't increase their price shortly after

THEAP99

Banned
Jim Ryan himself said yesterday in an interview that they want Sony games to be similar to Hollywood movies in how they create emotional stories and such. Therefore they must think that there's an audience on Netflix who may be interested in cinematic games. This makes sense TBH and partnership is probably happening

Last edited:
Top Bottom