• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shark Tank 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else here enjoy this show? I watch it off and on very casually but it's very entertaining when I do and I've always been interested in stories of people making their own products. Couple that with the brutal honesty and sometimes great/sometimes very questionable offers from the Sharks and it's a great watch. It's always funny to see Mark Cuban, Robert and Kevin fight amongst each other.

Anyways, anybody watch tonight's episode? I thought the wine balloon inventor should've told Cuban and the QVC chick to go piss up a rope after they dropped the offer from 600k to 400k and gone with Kevin's offer of 75k and a percentage after they pulled that crap. Kevin was right, he totally let them strongarm him and steal his idea for a quick buck. I'm sure Kevin could have eventually helped him earn more money or would've at least helped sell it to another company for a lot more. If they were the only offer on the table sure, but I don't understand how some of these folks wimp out when they pull the "Ohhhhh, see we dropped the price! Did you learn your lesson?! NOW are you gonna take our even crappier offer?" It was a much more ingenious idea than those lame pool ponchos.

Anyways, discuss the show and your favorite bits.

Lamel

Banned
The past 2 episodes have been pretty great; it's good to hear about all the success stories too.

Hate mark cuban.

I love this show! And yeah, I was kinda surprised that the guy went with Cuban and gave up his wine balloon company. I guess since he was older, he just wanted to not have to deal with it anymore and just get a nice big chunk of change. I can uderstand that. But yeah, coulda earned a lot more in the long run.

I don't see those pool ponchos selling much, I mean is there really a market for that kinda stuff especially in this economy? I dunno. Seems kinda frivolous. Same with the dog cakes. I guess there are still people out there that have too much money to burn lol.

I liked the cat drawing guy from last week. He was cool.

Tookay

Show's great, the personalities are harsh but usually insightful, and some of the products are really interesting. Definitely one of the better "reality" shows out there, especially this season.

And you gotta love Kevin. He's like the ultimate troll-turned-businessman.

Saw this episode and started to immediately hate Mark Cuban again.I mean what a jerk .Every episode is him trying to teach a lesson. His buying people out method is only great when its worth while.

I don't know how Kevin is on Shark Tank in the US, but on Dragon's Den in Canada he's amazing. He has no filter on his mouth. Zero. He just says whatever he wants and doesn't care whose feelings he hurts. He doesn't do it to be mean, he's just brutally honest. I may disagree with him on a lot of things, but I respect him.

I love this show! And yeah, I was kinda surprised that the guy went with Cuban and gave up his wine balloon company. I guess since he was older, he just wanted to not have to deal with it anymore and just get a nice big chunk of change. I can uderstand that. But yeah, coulda earned a lot more in the long run.

I'm younger and more defiant so yeah, definitely would have gone with Kevin's deal. I also gotta say, as much of a troll Kevin can be, this is one of those rare times where I totally agreed with him.

I don't see those pool ponchos selling much, I mean is there really a market for that kinda stuff especially in this economy? I dunno. Seems kinda frivolous. Same with the dog cakes. I guess there are still people out there that have too much money to burn lol.

As Kevin said, "It's just a towel with a slit!" But it's a simple item that the QVC moms will buy by the truckload once they dress them up with some silly designs and I'm sure Mark wanted them for families who stay at his places.

Bombadil

Banned
I watched it for the first time today.

I will never watch this show again. It bothered me that this one guy with a good idea was basically gypped out of it. This guy had a product for getting air out of wine bottles so the wine flavor lasts longer. They liked the idea and the bald white guy offered him $40,000 up front plus 70 percent of the royalties that they would get from negotiating with the manufacturer of the current wine preserver product. The bald white guy personally offered to negotiate this deal. It sounded like a good deal because over time the idea guy would become a millionaire. He'd get residuals for the rest of his life.

Anyway, the QVC lady counteroffered with 500K for full 100% stake in the company, basically she wanted to buy it off him without there being ANY royalties. The idea guy was tempted by the 500K upfront. The bald white guy told him not to, told him that they were basically stealing his idea from him and that the idea was worth millions.

Then fucking Mark Cuban (who is a grade A asshole that nobody likes) decides to get involved by partnering with the QVC lady and upping the upfront offer to 600K, but the catch is the idea guy has to say "YES" immediately. But the guy is hesitant, as he should be, and I could see him getting very anxious because 600K up front does sound better than 40K plus royalty. Anyway, because the guy hesitated for like a minute, Cuban said he was out and the QVC lady decided to reduce the price back to 500K. Basically they tried to scare him into giving the idea away. And Mark made the unbelievably asshole-ish offer to get back into the partnership but only under the condition that the offer they make to the idea guy is reduced to 400k. AND they threaten to reduce the offer even more if he doesn't agree immediately. And all the while the bald white shark guy is calling Cuban a "thief" and is telling the idea guy that his royalty offer will make him a millionaire.

But, unfortunately, the idea guy decided to go with Cuban and the QVC lady's offer of 400k. Poor guy. I think he'll be kicking himself over this for a while.

Really, the show made me angry that billionaires like that actually do that to people. The whole, "fuck you, I got mine" mentality of these sharks is so damn irritating.

And I know the bald white shark (won't bother getting his name) sounded like the good guy in this segment, but on the next episode he will probably be a dick, too.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This show is basically a cheap Dragon's Den knockoff. Which is weird because Kevin is on both.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
he has better chemistry with the other dragons on the canadian version though. And I enjoy shark tank.

Yeah that chemistry is the only way I can tolerate him. He's a morally bankrupt piece of trash. At least that's the way he portrays himself on tv.

I don't know how Kevin is on Shark Tank in the US, but on Dragon's Den in Canada he's amazing. He has no filter on his mouth. Zero. He just says whatever he wants and doesn't care whose feelings he hurts. He doesn't do it to be mean, he's just brutally honest. I may disagree with him on a lot of things, but I respect him.

He's also the walking stereotype of the sociopathic businessman who's willing to fuck over people for a few more dollars.

demolitio

Tonight's episode pissed me off. I wouldn't have been bullied into $200k less and accept the new offer because it'd bug me too much knowing what I could have had. I would have went with Kevin after that and he pisses me off so that says a lot.

Still a lot of money but it'd be hard to say okay to that knowing a minute earlier, I had more.

Lamel

Banned
Tonight's episode pissed me off. I wouldn't have been bullied into $200k less and accept the new offer because it'd bug me too much knowing what I could have had. I would have went with Kevin after that and he pisses me off so that says a lot.

Still a lot of money but it'd be hard to say okay to that knowing a minute earlier, I had more.

Yeah fucking mark cuban ruins everything.

They guy was dumb to accept, HE needed to control the negotiation. THEY really wanted the product badly, and he could have gotten more money in the long run. It was bullshit how they didn't even let him get a royalty...oh well.

The ones who are so bad that they have no chance are always the best pitches though, they try so hard, yet we keep cringing.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that Wine Bottle dude was an incredibly clueless wuss and made a poor decision. "600k and NO royalties!" 'Uh...I dunno....' "400k and still no royalties! Don't listen to the bald guy who is offering a long term deal with royalties or this time we'll give you nothing!" 'OK, ok! I'll take it!' Then in the waiting room after he's like 'Well I coulda had more but those Sharks wanted more for themselves I guess, a-hyuck, durrr' I mean seriously, it blows my mind. His wife and friends better be giving him a hard time over that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My guilty pleasure. Wish they would dedicate an entire episode, to showing how most of the investments have done.

WHY did the surfboard people give in to slimeball Mark Cuban? Just once I'd like to see someone on this show tell Cuban to take a hike whenever he threatens to do one of his "countdowns." It's like Ohhhhhhhh! Mark Cuban is counting down! I better take his deal ASAP before the clock runs down so he can steal 30% of my company! I dunno, I'm not business savvy, but was Damon and Kevin's deal worse? I don't see how because they'd be getting manufacturing and retaining more ownership right? Enlighten me.

Izick

The past 2 episodes have been pretty great; it's good to hear about all the success stories too.

Hate mark cuban.

Saw this episode and started to immediately hate Mark Cuban again.I mean what a jerk .Every episode is him trying to teach a lesson. His buying people out method is only great when its worth while.

I watched it for the first time today.

I will never watch this show again. It bothered me that this one guy with a good idea was basically gypped out of it. This guy had a product for getting air out of wine bottles so the wine flavor lasts longer. They liked the idea and the bald white guy offered him $40,000 up front plus 70 percent of the royalties that they would get from negotiating with the manufacturer of the current wine preserver product. The bald white guy personally offered to negotiate this deal. It sounded like a good deal because over time the idea guy would become a millionaire. He'd get residuals for the rest of his life.

Anyway, the QVC lady counteroffered with 500K for full 100% stake in the company, basically she wanted to buy it off him without there being ANY royalties. The idea guy was tempted by the 500K upfront. The bald white guy told him not to, told him that they were basically stealing his idea from him and that the idea was worth millions.

Then fucking Mark Cuban (who is a grade A asshole that nobody likes) decides to get involved by partnering with the QVC lady and upping the upfront offer to 600K, but the catch is the idea guy has to say "YES" immediately. But the guy is hesitant, as he should be, and I could see him getting very anxious because 600K up front does sound better than 40K plus royalty. Anyway, because the guy hesitated for like a minute, Cuban said he was out and the QVC lady decided to reduce the price back to 500K. Basically they tried to scare him into giving the idea away. And Mark made the unbelievably asshole-ish offer to get back into the partnership but only under the condition that the offer they make to the idea guy is reduced to 400k. AND they threaten to reduce the offer even more if he doesn't agree immediately. And all the while the bald white shark guy is calling Cuban a "thief" and is telling the idea guy that his royalty offer will make him a millionaire.

But, unfortunately, the idea guy decided to go with Cuban and the QVC lady's offer of 400k. Poor guy. I think he'll be kicking himself over this for a while.

Really, the show made me angry that billionaires like that actually do that to people. The whole, "fuck you, I got mine" mentality of these sharks is so damn irritating.

And I know the bald white shark (won't bother getting his name) sounded like the good guy in this segment, but on the next episode he will probably be a dick, too.

Mark Cuban is a dumbass
even on Entourage

Yeah fucking mark cuban ruins everything.

They guy was dumb to accept, HE needed to control the negotiation. THEY really wanted the product badly, and he could have gotten more money in the long run. It was bullshit how they didn't even let him get a royalty...oh well.

The ones who are so bad that they have no chance are always the best pitches though, they try so hard, yet we keep cringing.

WHY did the surfboard people give in to slimeball Mark Cuban? Just once I'd like to see someone on this show tell Cuban to take a hike whenever he threatens to do one of his "countdowns." It's like Ohhhhhhhh! Mark Cuban is counting down! I better take his deal ASAP before the clock runs down so he can steal 30% of my company! I dunno, I'm not business savvy, but was Damon and Kevin's deal worse? I don't see how because they'd be getting manufacturing and retaining more ownership right? Enlighten me.

ibgACAms7UQsz2.gif

IceCold

I watch Dragon's Den (Canadian version) it's the best version imo. It's more cut throat than the American version and less sappy (no stupid intros about how the person needs the money etc).

Deadbeat

Banned
I dont remember if it was Dragon's Den or Shark Tank but there was this guy trying to sell an online data storage system that would cost money to subscribe to and he was downplaying all the free services out there and that his would be different. Anyone know what Im talking about? I want to see that again.

Mairu

I dont remember if it was Dragon's Den or Shark Tank but there was this guy trying to sell an online data storage system that would cost money to subscribe to and he was downplaying all the free services out there and that his would be different. Anyone know what Im talking about? I want to see that again.

Must have been on Dragon's Den, I can't remember that. I got hooked on this show back in March/April and watched a bunch of the US seasons. I'll have to go track down some Dragon's Den to watch if it's even better than Shark Tank. This is like the only 'reality tv' show I enjoy watching.

It's an entertaining show but I feel like most of the time that the people are getting ripped off by the show. I mean they always get WAY less than what they asked for (unless they didn't ask for nearly enough) and the executive producer of the show, Mark Burnett, and the network, ABC, get a cut of the profits from the companies as well. LOL

The stuff that happens on the show is not binding. First off the pitches can take 1-2 hours sometimes and they edit them down to 10-15 min. The guy who had the inflatable wine cork eventually backed out of the deal. He was featured on another entrepeneur show, Invention Hunters, and made a deal with them. The product was renamed Air Cork and you can find it for sale online.

Mairu

It's an entertaining show but I feel like most of the time that the people are getting ripped off by the show. I mean they always get WAY less than what they asked for (unless they didn't ask for nearly enough) and the executive producer of the show, Mark Burnett, and the network, ABC, get a cut of the profits from the companies as well. LOL

The stuff that happens on the show is not binding. First off the pitches can take 1-2 hours sometimes and they edit them down to 10-15 min. The guy who had the inflatable wine cork eventually backed out of the deal. He was featured on another entrepeneur show, Invention Hunters, and made a deal with them. The product was renamed Air Cork and you can find it for sale online.

Worst part is they get a percentage of the company/product even if they don't make a deal. It's understandable, as appearing on Shark Tank is advertising in itself, but it kinda sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom