• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shatter Official Thread

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mario, give us some PRO tips! I'm getting my ass handed to me and I don't think that 10 minute boss rush mode trophy is EVER going to happen! :lol

EDIT: The number one time in boss mode is 10:08!! That means nobody has gotten the trophy yet! Hahaha hardest silver trophy ever.

phants

Adam Prime said:
Mario, give us some PRO tips!

As people are picking up, what a powerup will ultimately be is influenced by how many balls you have in play. If you want to get big scores, make sure you've got a few balls in the bank - this will ensure powerups that influence score spawn instead of 1ups.

Combos are created by destroying bricks very quickly after one another. The smaller the gap between destroying the bricks, the bigger your combo will be.

You can earn additional multiplier (which affects the score you get from destroying each brick) by launching additional balls (press X) - this also makes it more likely that you'll destroy bricks very quickly but it does make it harder. Having 4 balls in play is key to massive scores.

You can get bonus score by clearing the level without the ball touching any walls - it's extremely hard though.

Using Shard Storm wisely will help with big scores - using a combination of shard storm and super ball (that ball you can create by launching a second ball as the first ball hits the bat), for example, i can clear out one of the levels in the first world without the ball hitting the back wall in just a few seconds for something like 40M points (it's a while since I tried this so i'm not 100% sure on the score).

That should do for now :)

The way you control the ball clicked and I really love the game now. Not that I didn't before. Just racked up 146mil.

The music reminds me of an audio tape that was on the cover of Zzap 64 in about 1986.

alr1ghtstart said:
lol, 10 minute boss rush for that trophy? :lol That has to be impossible. No one on the leaderboard has done it; it took me 26 minutes.

BeeDog said:
:lol Yeah, since I have TTP on my friendslist, his result showed up on the leaderboard as ~24 minutes. Thinking, "fuck that, I'm probably better than him", I started my round, but by the 3rd boss, 7 minutes had already passed, so I turned off my PS3 in rage.

I gave it a try yesterday, it doesnt seem too hard actually. Managed to reach the 8th bosses in around ~9 minutes. Just gotta rinse and repeat.

Boss 1 & 2 can get defeated in 25~45 seconds if youre quick enough. The clock bastard is time consuming though.

soldat7

Mario/phants:

Any comment on the music not being 5.1? This is a pretty disappointing flaw in an otherwise great game. Could this be patched in the future?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
soldat7 said:
Mario/phants:

Any comment on the music not being 5.1? This is a pretty disappointing flaw in an otherwise great game. Could this be patched in the future?

Yep, I noticed that myself, I had to whack my receiver in 5 channel stereo mode which is annoying, I wonder if there's any chance they'll update that.

Lain

As other have said before (because I think I remember someone saying it) youtube support would have rocked for this game.
Or a spectator mode to watch your friends play.

I really love this game. Actually, I'm forcing myself to not play it for as long as I want so that it's not over in one session.

Mario, you guys should get now to develop a shooter with the same quality music and call it Shotter or something :D

topofuji

Banned
Already listening to the tune that plays on the XMB and I can tell this has a very inspired soundtrack. Can't wait to boot this up later. :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
- Eliminated or reduced hanging time upon starting a new game. This happens when you start a new game for the first time after having launched the game from the XMB. Looks like the PS3 has crashed at the title screen.
- Option to skip the Story mode intro altogether and jump straight into game. I know you can skip it already, but it goes into another loading screen. I'd like for it to load the 1st level right away.
- YouTube HD support
- DTS support
- Animated Sidhe logo at start up. :p

ChryZ

TTP said:
- Eliminated or reduced hanging time upon starting a new game. This happens when you start a new game for the first time after having launched the game from the XMB. Looks like the PS3 has crashed at the title screen.
- Option to skip the Story mode intro altogether and jump straight into game. I know you can skip it already, but it goes into another loading screen. I'd like for it to load the 1st level right away.
- YouTube HD support
- DTS support
- Animated Sidhe logo at start up. :p
... and add custom soundtrack, even the best soundtrack gets old eventually

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:
... and add custom soundtrack, even the best soundtrack gets old eventually

Yeah. And forgot to add: Fix the leaderboards. I'm sick of those "Loading".

holy crap.... I just got the boss rush trophy. That was the most intense play I've had in a long time... holy shit... I cant believe it.. :D

ChryZ

highluxury said:
holy crap.... I just got the boss rush trophy. That was the most intense play I've had in a long time... holy shit... I cant believe it.. :D
Congrats. Mad props too.

Zeppu

Awesome game. I do have a question though.

How does the multiplier work exactly? Is the score each brick destroyed gives you multiplied by the current multiplier or is the score multiplied at the end of the stage?

epmode

I really like the game but it could really use a faster arcade mode. A single game in story mode takes far too long. Super Stardust HD had the same problem until the single-player DLC pack was released.

noah111

Still Alive
I love this game so far, it's really a ton of pure fun. However, why the fuck can't I listen to my own tracks!?!? The music is great and all, but my god it's such a casual game that I don't want to sit there listening to the same techno all the time, kinda sucks but other than that the game is awesome.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This game makes me want to crack out Tempest 2000 on my Jaguar. And then play Shatter with tracks ripped from my Tempest 2000 Soundtrack CD.

Good stuff, so far. Kids are fascinated by it. (Oooh. Aaaah!)

Shurs

Just made it to and failed out on Ice Shoulder. I did absolutely no damage to the thing.

Surprisingly, I currently have the second highest score of anyone on my friends list.

Just got this, so much fun, love the music.
I just wish it displayed the scores better, when starting a new level, it should display your entire score and then add to it, instead of starting from zero then it adds to the final score in the leaderboards once the level is done.

This and Fury has made it one of the best PSN weeks ever.

WTFing

Banned
Why do you have to be online, for your score to be registred?
When you play 'mode bonus', the score is too big, it's annoying on the vertical stage.
Why there is no 'easy, normal, hard' option?
Other than this, it's a really fun game.

WTFing

Banned
GeoramA said:
Ugh, can never get more than 3 mil on the bonus stages.

Don't know how some of you getting 10 mil.
Are you trying to get 10M on the bonus stage while playing the story mode or in the specific bonus mode?

Orobi

This game is wonderful. I was out today and I was thinking about it...
And the musics... omg... The ost is in my mind. So good, fantastic Module, you are an electronic-god! :D

Fox1304

Finally got the 10M trophy in bonus. Was a hard one, managed to only do 10,1M lol
Loving the game, awesome soundtrack.
Best fun with PSN Game since SSHD, and that's not a small thing to say.

RPS37

Damn. This game is great. Visually and aurally.
I keep telling myself I need to quit and go play "a real game" and then I see and hear what the next level is like.
Sidhe did a great job making an old-school (breakout) game that still doesn't get frustratingly difficult. At least it hasn't gotten there for me yet.

ChryZ said:
Congrats. Mad props too.

Thanks Chryz :D

The finale was pretty epic... felt nearly like a dramatic dragonball fight.:lol

I also checked the top 10 minutes ago, In the top 5 in at the moment :D

Edgeward

I finally beat it! Fuck you,
Electric Avenue
! :D Couldn't do it in one go though. I guess that'll be my next project. Last two boss fight were incredible. I don't even know how I beat the final boss, I just kept getting lucky. :lol

krae_man

The Bonus round mode didn't give me too much trouble, I just had to get the hang of each stage. I hung on for like 17 bounces in the circular stage to get to 10 million:lol

I got a 10 million "no walls touched" bonus one level and I'm not quite sure how I did it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
highluxury said:
The clock bastard is time consuming though.

If only there was a way to trap a ball inside his "steel" brick wall, he might be able to be defeated quickly...

soldat7 said:

We were disappointed about that ourselves. It was a function of the way a couple of things went down in production tha we couldn't resolve in time for launch.

We are compiling a list of things we may look at for a possible patch, and this is on there.

Sentry said:
why the fuck can't I listen to my own tracks!?!?

Also, on the list. Probably at the top of the list in terms of consumer requests.

Rapping Granny said:
I just wish it displayed the scores better, when starting a new level, it should display your entire score and then add to it, instead of starting from zero then it adds to the final score in the leaderboards once the level is done.

Hmmm you should be able to toggle between Overall and World scores. I think.

WTFing said:
Why do you have to be online, for your score to be registred?

That was a technical production decision. Maintaining local leaderboards as well as global leaderboards including syncing between them is a significant task. We concentrated that resource on making the online leaderboards themselves as good as we could including the friends aspect.

WTFing said:
Why there is no 'easy, normal, hard' option?

That was a design decision. We wanted to create a game where the gamer could go at their own pace and focus the difficulty not on creating barriers to progression but on leaderboard competitiveness. At lot of this is realised in the fact you can launch multiple balls into play.

If you want to play it "easy" then be conservative and just have 1 ball in play at any one time. If you want to play it "hard" then launch multiple balls which is riskier but gets you more competitive score wise.

In other news, we have the first of 3 Behind The Scenes videos up on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2NJLuCGdis . This one concentrates on Gameplay.

Also, some more reviews

DigitalChumps - 9.2 - http://www.digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/35-ps3/3423-shatter.html
IGN - 9.0 - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/100/1005893p1.html
NZGamer - 8.5 - http://nzgamer.com/ps3/reviews/934/shatter-psn.html
1UP - B - http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3175280

We'll be updating the http://www.shattergame.com this coming week with some new media as well. Will post when we get some stuff up.

And if you missed it on the earlier pages, you can stream the soundtrack for free from http://sidhe.bandcamp.com

enewtabie

I had the words Shattered on my PSN tag since E3 and people kept asking,so I said you have to buy this game when it comes out(saw a quick look of it somewhere:D ). What a absolute steal at that price point and very addicting to play. Haven't finished it yet(on the 8th world),but I enjoy playing it in spurts. Great game and hope to see some more from Sidhe in the future.

DLC in the future?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
LiquidMetal14 said:
Any chance of getting us some HD walls Mario?

We'll probably have some concept art up first, but wallpapers will come.

enewtabie said:
DLC in the future?

We are getting some good feedback about what is resonating with fans, so we will firm up some plans over time though we don't have any DLC in development yet and are still keeping an eye on sales to make sure we can justify it (so far so good).

Pimpbaa

People wanting custom soundtrack support for this game need to be shot. The music in this game should not be replaced by anything!

Mario said:
We are getting some good feedback about what is resonating with fans, so we will firm up some plans over time though we don't have any DLC in development yet and are still keeping an eye on sales to make sure we can justify it (so far so good).

I hope it sells enough to make you guys a nice profit. It deserves to.

I love the risk reward system you have going on with the ability to launch more than one ball. The amount of times I've gotten a bit over confident and launched 4 balls only to lose them all within seconds is both embarrassing and hilarious.

What's that sound effect used when you lose a ball? Sounds like a sound effect from Pacman on the Atari 2600.

Mario said:
We'll probably have some concept art up first, but wallpapers will come.

if Shatter makes Top 5 download on Pulse you should definitely do the level DLC ;D

Mario said:
If only there was a way to trap a ball inside his "steel" brick wall, he might be able to be defeated quickly...

;)

Yeah, I know. However that requires very accurate timing :).

I'd say, what you'd should be aiming for is getting an 'unstoppable' power-up with at least 2 balls in the air when fighting him. It will take much less time, than depending on trapping a ball inside his temporarily upgraded steel shell. Unstoppable upgrade will go directly through those annoying small blocks he shoots at you, making it much easier to manouver around. Then again you may have to be lucky for him to drop that power-up.

Anyway, I will take my shot at Master batter later today, I gave it a shot yesterday and managed to reach
Electric Avenue
before dying. Saddest part wass that he was on his last life, I just made a really bad dribble :lol... oh well, last trophy before getting 100% :D

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bearillusion said:
What's that sound effect used when you lose a ball? Sounds like a sound effect from Pacman on the Atari 2600.

Module did most of the sound effects as well as the soundtrack. I believe he created most of them all from scratch rather than sampling, though I could be wrong.

We wanted to give the bat a little bit of a personality, so the effect is actually the bat's annoyance/disappointment at losing a ball. Robotic swearing?

Top Bottom