• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shatter Official Thread

KAL2006 said:
needs to come out for XBLA

Module said on his Facebook page:

At last !!! Finished the 15 song soundtrack to a play-station 3/xbox 360 game after 1 year working on it !!! whoo hooo ! out as a full soundtrack album this year ! it's basically another album yay ! Got a pretty big gig release planned in a few month, lasers, guitars, synths, the works ..muhahaha...it will be filmed :) stay tuned

You can hope for a port unless this hope gets shattered by Mario in this thread.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
kassatsu said:
Any news on Amazon/iTunes yet for Music?

It is in progress. It will just turn up at some point in the next couple of weeks.

Fortinbras said:
You can hope for a port unless this hope gets shattered by Mario in this thread.

Shatter is not currently destined to be released on XBLA. That may change in the future, but that decision is up to Microsoft.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fortinbras said:
I bought the PSN version. ;)

I would buy it again on 360 because I love the game. I'm not married with my PS3.
Don't think I'd double dip but I hope it does well enough to warrant more PSN efforts and eventual ports to other platforms.

Rolf NB

Let me just join the THIS IS FUCK AWESOME faction. And it's not just the music, though that sure helps. The wind mechanic is soo smart. Making the (lumps of) bricks physics objects, the changes in stage "direction", the way the upgrade system reacts to the player's failings, all the little details there ... it's design excellence through and through.

Now if only that Highluxury person could stop destroying my scores.

Just played through the game and I'm very impressed. I couldn't stop playing, which is surprising since brick breaking games don't usually interest me. Sidhe really did a fantastic job of making the gameplay fresh with the shield and the push and pull mechanics. The awesome music didn't hurt, either.

Wowbagger

YianGaruga said:
Basically, get 3 balls into play if you can, and blow constantly. They should hit the 2 cannons pretty quickly. I it opens try too shoot as many balls straight into the "mouth". At the beginning you can only hit once or twice till it closes, but later when it uses the laser, you can hit three or more times if you're good (and lucky). If it uses the laser just keep your shield up. I never bothered with shard storm, since shield energy is pretty important. The 2 ball upgrades are very helpful, get them as soon as you can. If you're extremely lucky, it's possible to get a ball stuck in its mouth while it's closing and by constantly blowing you can hit the boss as often as you want until it's dead. Happens rarely though.

Belated thanks for the tips. Best I can do is three minutes. :'(

Using shield ability, I almost doubled my story mode score from about 230 to 400 million. :)

JRW

Holy crap i haven't had much difficulty up to this point in the game, I'm currently on the Argon refinery boss and seemed to of hit a wall, I keep failing over and over lol, I'm trying to do it without having to use a continue (reset score) so I'm having to restart the world when I lose all lives =/

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
JRW said:
Holy crap i haven't had much difficulty up to this point in the game, I'm currently on the Argon refinery boss and seemed to of hit a wall, I keep failing over and over lol, I'm trying to do it without having to use a continue (reset score) so I'm having to restart the world when I lose all lives =/

Your shield makes you resistant to his laser. Keep a couple of balls in play to knock out the sockets and defeat the shield, then unleash hell.

JRW

Mario said:
Your shield makes you resistant to his laser. Keep a couple of balls in play to knock out the sockets and defeat the shield, then unleash hell.

Ah I keep forgetting you can release more than 1 ball, Thanks ill try that.

Eccocid

i saw Danielsan playing this game on my psn friend list last night, asked him if its any good he said its great and addictive. So i went to PSN store and grabbed it.

WOOOO its amazing! i really love the gameplay and visuals. ALSO MUSIC IS GODLY! Especially the music in second world reminds me old Amiga tunes!

Buying a $50 PSN Card REAL SOON. (Shit broke. Saving money to buy a new TV).

Will definitely get it before MvC2 kicks in.

Buying:

- Fat Princess
- Shatter
- MvC2

Great times awaits me! :D

Eccocid

shagg_187 said:
Buying a $50 PSN Card REAL SOON. (Shit broke. Saving money to buy a new TV).

Will definitely get it before MvC2 kicks in.

Buying:

- Fat Princess
- Shatter
- MvC2

Great times awaits me! :D

Uh i got Fat Princess and i can suggest that you should wait for a patch for fixing those connection issues. I was so hyped about FP but due ot online problems it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mario said:
The ps3trophies guide is great, pretty much the same techniques I used.
Just one tip to make Electric Avenue (The guy with the shield and 4 sockets) the easiest and fastest boss in the game:

At the start shoot 1 ball left and 1 ball right to get 2 sockets straight away. Now blow them around until the 2 other sockets are out.
Now that its shield is down, quickly position yourself under it and release another ball at it. Instantly after that, put up your shield (square button) and suck while still staying directly under it. The shards you suck towards you now will reflect back as projectiles and damage the boss severely. But since when the boss is hit, he will release more shards, this will create an infinite loop that kills it in seconds. My best time is around 6 seconds for this boss that may normally take a minute!

Normally when done here I'll be at around the 6 minute mark. (Can be done even faster when getting lucky with Clockoblock and Death Blossom. I'd say 5 minutes is possible.)
Xenon Queen and Bad Back is Back can both be done in close to a minute, so even if one or both take longer than that, the 10 minute mark isn't really all that hard.
The only two bosses that can really mess you up are Clockoblock and Xenon Queen, the rest have a very predictable pattern that are easy to exploit.

enewtabie

I've been enjoying Shatter till the Queen Boss. Gonna cut it off now. Third time and still nothing and I'm getting frustrated. :lol I'll come back to it later after I've cooled down.

bcn-ron said:
Let me just join the THIS IS FUCK AWESOME faction. And it's not just the music, though that sure helps. The wind mechanic is soo smart. Making the (lumps of) bricks physics objects, the changes in stage "direction", the way the upgrade system reacts to the player's failings, all the little details there ... it's design excellence through and through.

Now if only that Highluxury person could stop destroying my scores.

Stop playing Demon's souls all the time then :D!

agm2502

I'm really enjoying this game glad on purchased it. Probably wouldn't of given it a second thought if it weren't for GAF impressions.

Y2Kev said:
MARIO YOUR GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME

OMG MY FACE IS MELTING

MY FACE IS MELLLTINGGG

This is why you people on the fence need to buy it now :D

Good to know the sales are doing all right. The future demo will make things even better.

JRW

So does the Mode score in the bottom left corner stop counting if you restart the game at a later time? It hasnt changed even after completing two new worlds.

Picked this game up yesterday, popped it in and loved it!

I loved arkanoid back in the day and this is a nice revision of the "break-out" concepts. And the music just makes it aces.

What is it about the summer and all the amazing PSN/XBLA games?

phants

JRW said:
So does the Mode score in the bottom left corner stop counting if you restart the game at a later time? It hasnt changed even after completing two new worlds.

The score in the bottom left is the score you're chasing - this is the person on your friends list that you are trying to beat next. Once you beat them, it will change to the next highest person on your list and so on until you're number one. You can press Select to change this score between the total story mode score and the current world score for those that would like to see how they're doing in the current world (changes your score display too so you can more easily see how you're doing).

JRW

phants said:
The score in the bottom left is the score you're chasing - this is the person on your friends list that you are trying to beat next. Once you beat them, it will change to the next highest person on your list and so on until you're number one. You can press Select to change this score between the total story mode score and the current world score for those that would like to see how they're doing in the current world (changes your score display too so you can more easily see how you're doing).

Its currently showing my name for mode score I just wasnt sure why it hasnt increased since finishing 2 more worlds. I thought it was a combined score of the worlds you've completed so far.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
JRW said:
Its currently showing my name for mode score I just wasnt sure why it hasnt increased since finishing 2 more worlds. I thought it was a combined score of the worlds you've completed so far.

If it is showing your name then you will be leading all your friends and that will be your high score.

Note that the Story Mode scores are from a single session. If you complete worlds across multiple sessions then it doesn't add to your existing Story Mode high score.

JRW

Mario said:
If it is showing your name then you will be leading all your friends and that will be your high score.

Note that the Story Mode scores are from a single session. If you complete worlds across multiple sessions then it doesn't add to your existing Story Mode high score.

Ahh ok makes sense now, thanks for the clarification :)

52club

This is the perfect PSN game. Reasonably priced, simple concept, but yet deep gameplay. Did I mention I'm impressed?

FnordChan

Like everyone else here, I'm digging the hell out of Shatter. As a huge fan of brick games dating back to Super Breakout, with a particular love for Arkanoid, Shatter scratches that itch very nicely and expands upon the basic concept in all manner of exciting ways. In short, it rocks.

However, as much as I like it there's someone else in the household who likes it even more:

shatter-ripley.jpg

My roommate's cat Ripley is absolutely entranced by Shatter. Once he sees the ball bouncing around he'll approach the screen, stand up to stare at it, and occasionally go to look behind the television to see if the ball is back there, too. I'm mildly concerned he's going to snap and dive for the screen one day. What PSN really needs is a version of Shatter that has nothing but automated ball bouncing that can be sold as a $2 cat toy.

At any rate, all of the mammals in my house agree that Shatter is awesome.

FnordChan

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The bonus stage music is the best.

I see on my friends list that only a ew people have it. Why? What's wrong with you?

Ocho

6:30 min. at Xenon Queen in boss rush mode and I couldn't fricking kill her quickly. I'm having a HARD time getting that last trophy!

3 hours of my life wasted already. :lol

JRW

Just finished story mode I expected the final boss to be more difficult but I beat it first try, Overall this game is excellent and ill continue to play for higher scores & boss rush etc.

Very worth the purchase :D

JRW

Now that ive been through Boss Rush several times I can honestly say Xenon Queen is the most annoying boss ever.. its not that its really difficult to beat.. The hard part is doing it in a short amount of time lol.

Lothars

ravien56 said:
Man fuck you guys. I've read 3 pages so far and no one has complained about this. I gotta get it now.

Excellent, Convert to the Cause :)

but seriously it's a great game and I recommend it.

Ocho

Same here, I finally beat Rush Mode and got 100%.

9:25.

I got to Xenon Queen with 6:40.

Ugh, I almost died of intense nerviousness.

ravien56

lothars said:
Excellent, Convert to the Cause :)

but seriously it's a great game and I recommend it.
Yea I downloaded it last night because I was high and wanted a trippy game and the music was so good. What confused me at first was the live system and during the boss for for the first level, I just all of a sudden got a game over. It's just fucked because I must of gotten 8 extra lives and then I got a game over ASAP. So the lives system is the amount of balls you have in the upper left and if you wanna put them all into play you can?

Ocho

ravien56 said:
Yea I downloaded it last night because I was high and wanted a trippy game and the music was so good. What confused me at first was the live system and during the boss for for the first level, I just all of a sudden got a game over. It's just fucked because I must of gotten 8 extra lives and then I got a game over ASAP. So the lives system is the amount of balls you have in the upper left and if you wanna put them all into play you can?

You can have up to 4 balls in play at any given time. The amount of lives displayed in the top left corner are balls you have "stored" and not yet used. If you win the game with 4 balls in play, those 4 balls go into your lives counter for the next level.

However, you can lose all lives but if there's a 1UP floating around, the game gives you the cahnce to pick it up and continue playing.

Kind of confusing, but it's an excellent game design.

ravien56

8bitgeorge said:
You can have up to 4 balls in play at any given time. The amount of lives displayed in the top left corner are balls you have "stored" and not yet used. If you win the game with 4 balls in play, those 4 balls go into your lives counter for the next level.

However, you can lose all lives but if there's a 1UP floating around, the game gives you the cahnce to pick it up and continue playing.

Kind of confusing, but it's an excellent game design.
Hmm...so lets say wave 1 I somehow get 4 lives and I have 4 balls stored, I don't lose any balls during the level then I get 1 extra life. Then at wave 2, I lose 3 lives. Would I end up having 2 lives for the next wave?Kinda how it carry overs? Or is 4 the max?

Top Bottom