• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shatter Official Thread

Ocho

ravien56 said:
Hmm...so lets say wave 1 I somehow get 4 lives and I have 4 balls stored, I don't lose any balls during the level then I get 1 extra life. Then at wave 2, I lose 3 lives. Would I end up having 2 lives for the next wave?Kinda how it carry overs? Or is 4 the max?

Uhm, I'm not sure if I understood your situation, but let me present another one that, hopefully, explains my post.

Lets say you begin Wave 1 with the 3 default balls, ok? You get one of those balls into play, so you have one ball bouncing around, and your lives counter will display only 2 left. You throw another ball, so now you have 2 balls in play bouncing around, while only 1 live in your counter.

If you manage to complete the level without losing any of the 2 balls you threw, those balls are then stored back to your lives counter and on Wave 2 you begin with 3 balls (2 balls in play + 1 live stored).

Now, lets say you in Wave 2 you manage to have 4 balls in play (maximum) bouncing around killing some tiles and stuff, and you managed to get 3 more lives that are displayed in your lives counter. When you complete that wave, without losing any ball, on the next wave you get: 4 balls in play + 3 lives stored = 7.

To my understanding, there's no limit of how many lives you can have at any given time, the only limit is of 4 balls in play.

Hope it's clear now.

freitax

I bought this game purely on impulse.. first flower, then wipeout hd, now this:D I'm on a roll. This game is insanely good, it's instant gameplay gratification, no frustration with the controls, it's pure gameplay done right. I've been trying to convince a couple of buddies to buy it, hasn't worked so far:/ It's hard to market this game, I need to invite them over and just rock this game out:D

Massa

I've reached the final world now and I'm just not feeling this game. The music and graphics are very good, definitely, but the only time I felt remotely challenged was on a couple of boss fights. Normal waves are not challenging at all even though I'm not necessarily good at the game, but not being good simply means you'll take a long time to beat a wave. And when that happens you just get bored.

I get the feeling I'd enjoy it more if I were better at it, so I'll definitely start over and give it another go after I beat the final world.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
A couple of updates since the thread is bumped

- First DLC announced? Khaaaannnn!!!?!

- In depth interview with Jeremiah 'Module' Ross about the Shatter soundtrack from GameSetWatch

- Leaderboards past 30,000 entries, Soundtrack on Bandcamp has now had well over 50,000 plays

- Cats and Shatter? What is going on?

5774_149679602456_115850937456_3754498_6904170_n.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
chubigans said:
So, that sounds like some great sales! When might you know the hard data Mario?

Had first week sales from Sony which lined up pretty close to leaderboard stats. Won't have more data for a while, so leaderboards are as good an indication of sales as anything.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Mario said:
A couple of updates since the thread is bumped

- First DLC announced? Khaaaannnn!!!?!

:lol No but seriously, I finally finished the story mode yesterday. I'm ready for a DLC pack! Throw in a cat boss meowing to drive pets crazy!

Seriously your game is all kinds of elegant design, moving the classical "multiball" power up in breakout games to a simple mechanic, the way the different blocks interacts.... Props to Sidhe for this fine game.

EDIT : I looooved the slight inclusion of story telling in it and the music, so gooood!

buffi

Banned
Massa said:
I've reached the final world now and I'm just not feeling this game. The music and graphics are very good, definitely, but the only time I felt remotely challenged was on a couple of boss fights. Normal waves are not challenging at all even though I'm not necessarily good at the game, but not being good simply means you'll take a long time to beat a wave. And when that happens you just get bored.

I get the feeling I'd enjoy it more if I were better at it, so I'll definitely start over and give it another go after I beat the final world.

Story mode is easy as cake. I got the "play through story mode without using continue" trophy on my first play through.

The real fun is boss rush. Seriously, boss rush is amazing.

lantus

Just picked this up a few days ago, really digging it. Especially the music, it's incredible. Surprisingly, I think Bonus mode might be my favorite part of the game; it's strangely addicting, probably because that's where my last trophy is, but I have a great time just playing it anyways. It's also tougher than it looks, for me at least.

buffi

Banned
I didn't see any boss rush video on youtube so I made one.

It's up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41VVmKunU8 and I finish at 8:31:06.

I had a REALLY weird bug on Death Blossom which made him die in 8 seconds. He normally takes 45 secs or so, so I would still have plenty of time to clear the trophy limit of ten minutes without that bug though.

Pretty decent run except for Xenon Queen in which I made a bunch of mistakes and almost died a few times.

Phthisis

I don't have a PS3 nor have I played Shatter, but holy shit the music. My friend linked me to the album to have a listen and it's AMAZING. Poking around the artist's personal site and listening to some of his other stuff, I'm convinced he's a genius. Every single song has been absolutely phenomenal.

mackaveli

i love the game. I got it yesterday. The one complaint i have with games that make you go for a high score is the lack of an in-game save feature.

I got the game yesterday at midnight and wanted to go to bed. I only wanted to try it out so after 5 minutes of goofing off and learning the mechanics I restarted. I then proceeded to get 200,000,000 as a score and played for a hour. I would have liked to have saved the game and start the next day. But with a score around 100,000,000 at the time i thought it was quite high so I wanted to keep going until I died. I finally just died at the last boss i think and went to bed.

Game is fun and addicting but if the main goal is to get a really high score I would love to play in increments of 15-30 minutes and then do something else and continue later. Maybe there is a save feature and I was too blind to see it.

Wowbagger

Oh, FFS, I finally managed to get a ball stuck in Xenon Queen's mouth... started fighting the last boss with 1:30 left on the clock, and I always kill the last boss in less time than that... except this time. How the fuck did I lose all my balls in three seconds?!? Almost threw my controller at the TV. :'(

JRW

Wowbagger said:
Oh, FFS, I just managed to get a ball stuck in Xenon Queen's mouth... started fighting the last boss with 1:30 left on the clock, and I always kill the last boss in less time than that... except this time. How the fuck did I lose all my balls in three seconds?!? Almost threw my controller at the TV. :'(

lol that sucks.

When you know the right (easy) strategy the final boss is the easiest in the game.

GeoramA

Wowbagger said:
Oh, FFS, I finally managed to get a ball stuck in Xenon Queen's mouth... started fighting the last boss with 1:30 left on the clock, and I always kill the last boss in less time than that... except this time. How the fuck did I lose all my balls in three seconds?!? Almost threw my controller at the TV. :'(
Xenon bitch queen just killed me on Boss Rush mode. I had 6 balls going into it too.

It's those damn purple blobs she keeps shooting out.

Wowbagger

Getting a low time on Xenon Queen is mostly luck. You either have to get there with lots of time to spare or manage to get a ball stuck in its mouth. Wish I could do the latter consistently, but I bet it won't happen again for another hundred games. :'(

buffi

Banned
Unstoppaball is pretty insane on Xenon Queen as well since it allows your ball to pretty much ignore everything she is shooting at you.

Finally bought this yesterday. This game is intense, an overload for the senses. I play with the music loud and I especially enjoy the bonus round in story mode. Trying to keep those three balls going and they keep getting faster is crazy :lol

cakefoo

buffi said:
I didn't see any boss rush video on youtube so I made one.

It's up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41VVmKunU8 and I finish at 8:31:06.

I had a REALLY weird bug on Death Blossom which made him die in 8 seconds. He normally takes 45 secs or so, so I would still have plenty of time to clear the trophy limit of ten minutes without that bug though.

Pretty decent run except for Xenon Queen in which I made a bunch of mistakes and almost died a few times.
Nice save at 8:15 :D

buffi

Banned
cakefoo said:
Nice save at 8:15 :D

Heh, yeah. I was waaaay to close to getting killed on Xenon Queen on that run. I usually do a lot better at her.

Nachkebia said:
Eurogamer failed yet again, I have love and hate relationship with them.....

8 is a good score. I'd give it a 9 but complaining about it getting an 8 and a good review feels unnecessary .

Jtrizzy

Yeah this is a great game, and the music is awesome. My only minor complaint is that sometimes it's hard to make out the ball when there is lots of other stuff on the screen, which there usually is.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I contacted Mario recently and he agreed to do an interview. It's up on Gamasutra this morning.

Link:
Interview: Sidhe's Wynands on Shatter Sales, PSN Development

He comments on sales figures (30K), doing a global launch, pricing, lack of a demo, and the two platforms that already have working versions of Shatter. Also a comment or two about the PSP and the PSP Go at the end.

Thanks to Mario for taking the time to answer the questions.

Fox1304

Finally bought the soundtrack.
Awesome in ALAC :eek:
And really terrific soundtrack, very addictive and pleasant to hear !

ACE 1991

Just booted this game up for the first time after purchasing it on Thursday, and played the story mode for about a half hour. HOLY CRAP the music is simply amazing. It's definitely got an 80's vibe to it, yet retains a distinctly modern trance/techno feel. The gameplay mechanics are also awesome; I really dig the risk/reward system involved with the fragments. (Do I want to suck them all in, filling up my power bar but potentially losing a ball as well?) The boss battles are also both fun and creative. I'm only on world 3 but so far the game is fantastic. Best $7.99 I've spent in quite a while. :D

vocab

Glad to see this game is doing well for Sidhe. It's definitely a quality title, and the price point is great.

kassatsu

Banned
SKLDFJSDKLFJSKLDFNkjasdhfnlkasdjfl;kasdjfkjasdfklasjdfklahnsdklfjaskldfjasld;fjk

D:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I was at the last boss, with 2 lives and no continues used

D:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I won't be doing that again for a while, too much rage.

Gowans

finally picked this up, got so sick of my bird playing Brick Breaker on her blackberry, she likes it but got a little frustrated. I think she needs to get used to it.

Me on the other hand I LOVE IT. watch out leaderboard.

Volcynika

Kind of a neat little game, and the music goes along well.

I know that I won't be able to do that "Master Batter' trophy or w/e, because honestly, my eyes can't take more than two full levels of this game at a time, I have to take a break from it after that. Oh wellz.

kassatsu

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
I was just about to make a post about this... How did the rest of gaf beat this wave?
If you don't have a Shard Storm from the previous round, just keep blowing and use all three balls. That should eventually knockout all the emitters.

Big B

Just beat the game here. Some bosses were frustrating but overall it was really fun.

I do however wish there was an endless mode where blocks just keep coming through. :D

Top Bottom