• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shatter Official Thread

buffi

Banned
I found the analog stick to be completely superior to the dpad. Tried the dpad a bit for fun, but couldn't even get below 10min in boss rush. Kept fucking up easy things on bosses 7-9.

Carlisle

So I just upgraded my PS3 HDD to 320GB (so awesome). I synced my trophies beforehand, but for some reason my Shatter trophies didn't make it over in the transition. Not a HUGE deal since I'd only finished the first level and I only had a handful of trophies...

Anyone know if this is a glitch or if something messed up or something? I can't really explain why this would happen with just Shatter.

bryehn

Finally got around to beating this this morning. I stink at Boss Rush so far, but yeah this game kicks all kinds of brick breaking ass. Easily one of my top 5 (maybe 3) PSN games.

I just realized there was a shield halfway through world 8 or 9 :lol

Could have improved my score quite a bit not loosing as many bonuses.

I really like the subtle humour in Shatter like the power-up names and that cute ending, in addition to all the unique mechanics and of course, Module's dope electro-house soundtrack.

bryehn

Banged out a review, a bit late, but oh well...

Intro:

Shatter is quite possibly the best Breakout clone to come along since the original Arkanoid was released in 1982. This PlayStation Network exclusive features a unique spin on the classic brick-breaking mechanic and is punctuated by a sleek look, fun boss fights and one of the best original video game soundtracks in recent memory.

End:

The game features a very crisp, modern look that will also very familiar to brick-breaking fans. Though nothing about the graphical presentation particularly stands out, the soundtrack certainly does. Composed by Module, the Shatter soundtrack features over 90 minutes of original, electro-house style music that fans of acts like Justice or Daft Punk will adore. The production of the soundtrack is simply outstanding and it is easily among the best this year. The soundtrack is available separately at a minimum cost of $9.99 USD and can be purchased or streamed for free here.

Ironically, the soundtrack actually costs more than Shatter itself, which is priced at $7.99 in the USA and Canada. At that price, I wholeheartedly recommend the game to anyone that enjoys these types of games depite its brevity; especially those like myself that were soured by the recent release of Arkanoid Live! on Xbox LIVE Arcade, which was mediocre at best. Aside from maybe Nervous Brickdown on the DS, I can say without hyperbole that I enjoyed Shatter more than any other brick-breaking game released in the past 25 years.

Game Forward Score: 4/5

Positives:

+ Unique, Fresh Take on a Classic Formula
+ Excellent Soundtrack
+ Fun Boss Fights, Boss Rush Mode

Negatives:

- No Local or Online Multiplayer
- Story Mode Lacks Challenge

Shinriji

Fantastic game. Great revision of the Arkanoid formula and an incredible soundtrack. Top 5 PSN without doubt.

It can become a high score addiction with my friends, just like SSDHD was. I was surprised to know that more than half my friends list bought the game.

Mario, there is a possibility to sell Shatter (and Gripshift as well) soundtrack on the PSN store?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good time to remind new slim owners or soon to be's that this game is worth every penny. ONLY 8 dollars for an awesome game with an amazing soundtrack.

Probably the best "value" for a game I've bought in long time. I've put a hell of a lot of hours into this. I would have paid double the price.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Shinriji said:
Mario, there is a possibility to sell Shatter (and Gripshift as well) soundtrack on the PSN store?

We have plans to bring the soundtrack to PSN, but we need to do some development for that to happen (need to create a wrapper like the PixelJunk guys did for the Monsters soundtrack).

In the mean time, you can stream the Shatter soundtrack and some GripShift tracks for free from http://sidhe.bandcamp.com. You can purchase from there as well.

Soundtrack is coming to iTunes/Amazon/Rhapsody/etc too eventually (CDBaby/Apple, why the hell are you taking so long putting the tracks up?!).

Edit: also, if you haven't seen it, we have a Behind The Scenes look at the soundtrack and soundscape here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCbzekI9oaw

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think part of the bump is due the promo the US PSN has for games under 8. And the slim/pricedrop helps :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
OldJadedGamer said:
Any word on a demo yet? I've heard good things but have a rule where I don't buy games blind anymore.

The team has been busy finishing other projects, but we'll be starting on the demo soon. Should be out before the end of the year by the time we go through all the approvals.

jett

D-Member
God yes the music is magnificent. As a C64 user from back in the day it could not be more awesome. If Sidhe continues contracting Module I'll continue to buy their games. :) Shatter itself is really fucking good too.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
jett said:
If Sidhe continues contracting Module I'll continue to buy their games. :)

He is working with us on other projects right now including Hot Wheels Battle Force 5 for Wii (targeted at a younger audience though).

jett said:
God yes the music is magnificent. As a C64 user from back in the day it could not be more awesome. If Sidhe continues contracting Module I'll continue to buy their games. :) Shatter itself is really fucking good too.

I already said this but your post prompts me to say it again. The music reminded me of an audio tape on the front of Zzap 64. C64 was an audio beast.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Shatter was a "Top 5 PSN Game" in MSNBC's videogame section:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32494200/ns/technology_and_science-games/?pg=4#games_top5_090825_PSN
‘Shatter’
Most modern shoot-'em-ups stick to the same (rectangle) canvas. Not this one. Both circular and square levels are present, which radically change the dynamic. Furthermore, while other games simply increase the number of on-screen enemies and projectiles over time, “Shatter” features proper boss battles in a nod to the classics. It’s surprising then that “Shatter” costs only $8, especially when you consider its slick presentation and top-notch soundtrack.
That could help visibility some, yes?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bought this today, incredible game. I played the first 8 worlds, but the boss on that level managed to kick my ass. Should've saved up a storm for that bastard. Can't wait to see the final worlds.

The bonus mode is surprisingly addictive, must get that 10mil trophy.

Everyone with a PS3 should give this game a try, excellent stuff.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bump to advise we now have the Shatter leaderboards browsable at http://shattergame.com/

We need to clean up a few things, the data is being updated manually at the moment, and I still want to add functionality to allow you to compare 2 PSN accounts, but the basics are there to allow you to search for your PSN ID and see where you stand.

Also, Module released a new single today. Quite different than the Shatter stuff, but you can check it out at http://module.bandcamp.com/track/endlessly-ocean-single

Russell

I've had my PS3 (20GB) since launch, and this is my very first digital download purchase. The game certainly has an addictive quality to it. :)

Lain

I went to listen again to the last single Module released and thought that it would be awesome to get a DLC level with Endlessly Ocean as the soundtrack, even if the style doesn't really fit with the Shatter soundtrack.

acevans2

Bumping to say I finally got 100% for this game last night! Man, what a surprise the game was. It took the place of SSHD for my hop-into-it-when-I'm-not-sure-what-to-play game.

The 'story' was particularly fun trying to the 'no continues' trophy, as I got down to 0 extra balls a few times and was literally on the edge of my seat making sure I didn't blow it all in the last 3 worlds.

And my boss rush mode time was 9'52" :lol I had all but given up but I did a ton of damage somehow in the 9'40"-9'50" time range against that last boss.

Russell said:
I've had my PS3 (20GB) since launch, and this is my very first digital download purchase. The game certainly has an addictive quality to it. :)

Nice start, but you've missed a lot. Not that you can do too much with that HDD though.

Pachinko

Sorry for the bump but this thread/game/soundtrack deserves it.

I mean okay, just ask yourself as a gamer/person 2 simple question- do you like hardcore electronica music (ie - daft punk) and did you enjoy arkanoid atleast a tiny little bit ?

Even if you only answered yes to one of those this game is totally worth the 8 bucks , I had more fun with it then I've had with 70 dollar games , so regardless of how well it's done since its release go buy it and support these guys .

And christ, sony, put a demo up so fence sitters can atleast play the first world or something :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Pachinko said:
And christ, sony, put a demo up so fence sitters can atleast play the first world or something :p

It isn't up to Sony to put up a demo, it is up to us, so we are the ones to blame :)

We are just finishing up a couple of projects so are getting the bandwidth back to get a demo done, but we are also looking at a Shatter Home space and music related stuff in the mean time. A demo will come, just not sure when just yet.

Yes I'm one of those on the fence about it and would love a demo, I don't care how brilliant a game is; unless it's free I want to try it first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any tips on getting 10,000,000 on the bonus level? I've managed 8,500,000 thus far, but I just can't seem to go beyond that. The ball physics, gravity, and speed just ramp up too quickly after a certain point and it's very difficult to keep it going. :\

Doytch

I'm no longer too confused about this, so don't reply to this and give me tips or anything but:

Scoring is way too random IFF you want this to be a leaderboard-ish/score-attack type game. In my opinion of course. I think the top of the genre this gen was the GW games wrt making the scoring system clear. I hope this was a good learning experience, and it was a damn good game for your first (right?) arcadeish/shooter/whatever/imnotanalaboutgenres game.

The only reason I bring this up now is because it seems like you're trying to get the leaderboards aspect of the game more play now. When I played Shatter, I thought it was a great experience with great music. I don't need more than that and it did it well.

This may have already been covered in this thread, but just wanted to throw my 2c in. Again, props on another quality game and keep up the good work, Mario. I'll be there day one for your next.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
kassatsu's giveaway at www.psnstores.com yesterday went really well, and we have a bunch more US PSN Store Shatter download codes to give away. 12 in fact! Lots of chances to win.

How do you get them?

5 we are giving away via our twitter feed at www.twitter.com/sidhenz To be in to win, just retweet the message you find in there by 10pm 15 Oct 09 PST.

2 we are giving away on our Facebook page here. To be in to win, just become a fan of the page and post a comment saying you want a code in the appropriate item there by 10pm 15 Oct 09 PST.

5 we are giving away right here on GAF as a thanks for the support we get here. To be in to win, just post a comment in this thread saying you want a code by 10pm 15 Oct 09 PST.

Am happy to give codes to people who already have the game if they are going to gift it to somebody they think will enjoy it.

Good luck!

buffi said:
Seriously?

It's not THAT hard.

Yeah kinda surprised at that.

I took a look at ps3trophyguide.com's leaderboard. Turns out Beatbox was the FIRST in the world to get the boss rush trophy and I was the 4th :D

Triz

Mario said:
kassatsu's giveaway at www.psnstores.com yesterday went really well, and we have a bunch more US PSN Store Shatter download codes to give away. 12 in fact! Lots of chances to win.

How do you get them?

5 we are giving away via our twitter feed at www.twitter.com/sidhenz To be in to win, just retweet the message you find in there by 10pm 15 Oct 09 PST.

2 we are giving away on our Facebook page here. To be in to win, just become a fan of the page and post a comment saying you want a code in the appropriate item there by 10pm 15 Oct 09 PST.

5 we are giving away right here on GAF as a thanks for the support we get here. To be in to win, just post a comment in this thread saying you want a code by 10pm 15 Oct 09 PST.

Am happy to give codes to people who already have the game if they are going to gift it to somebody they think will enjoy it.

Good luck!

Can I have a code Mario? Thanks in advance.

This might a hard question to answer but are there any artists out there that make music similar to that found in this game. I swear ever since that guy made that thread about the soundtrack Ive been listening to it ever since.

Edit: Holy shit can I get one of those codes. Me luv u long time if you do.

Razorskin

----- ------
Mario said:

I want a code! :D

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
IcebergSlim3000 said:
This might a hard question to answer but are there any artists out there that make music similar to that found in this game. I swear ever since that guy made that thread about the soundtrack Ive been listening to it ever since.

If you haven't already, you can find Module's back catalogue at http://module.bandcamp.com/

Otherwise, people have been drawing comparisons to Daft Punk.

MrPliskin

Banned
NeoZylom said:
Only 300 people got the trophy for beating the boss mode under 10:00 :O

I certainly don't feel like I suck at life now :lol

I still gotta keep trying. I've had quite a few times where I've come close (within 30 seconds) but I just haven't been able to do it.

Top Bottom