• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden says he has played Death Stranding

Cyberia

One notable absence from Sony’s stage this year was Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding. The celebrated auteur attended the conference but didn’t bring any new footage with him, prompting concerns that we could be in for another of his protracted development cycles. Does the game actually exist beyond the pair of trailers previously released or are we still in the concept stage?

“No, no - its up and running,” Layden confirms. “It’s been aided tremendously after Kojima-San decided to co-opt the Decima [graphics] engine from Guerrilla [that powered Horizon Zero Dawn]. And, gosh, that really gave him a leg up to get up and running and test it and have some prototype levels running. I couldn’t explain to you what the game is…”

Does that mean you’ve actually played some of it?

“I have actually played some of it.”

And is it as revolutionary as Kojima-San is promising?

“[After a thoughtful pause] All that and more!”

So it actually exists?

“It actually exists.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ions-shawn-layden-death-stranding-spider-man/

We knew the game was years away when it was announced. Why are people clamoring for a long hype cycle just to say "it can't live up to the hype" when it does release lol

Shredderi

I think we'll see some gameplay at E3 2019 and have the game release in 2021. Hey I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

OldMuffin

Well I think it would be a given that after a year of development it would be playable in some form or the other. Of course given how crazy Kojima is, I guess there could have been a chance he was still messing around with ideas for a year without a clear idea of where he wants to go with it. Anyway cannot wait for this, 2019 (hopefully) can't come soon enough!

So they've reached a stage beyond kojima making fan trailers with his favourite actors. Hopefully we will see a gameplaybtrailer in the foreseeable future. Still expect a 2019/2020 release.

Playable can mean a lot of things (Beyond Good and Evil 2 was 'playable' at E3, despite it technically just entering development) - but it's good to hear Kojima at least seems to have a prototype in place for the core game mechanics.

Is open world, would have been excited if it had more emphasis on being crazy and focused like the old mgs games. Instead it's like the worst mgs.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I have a feeling that Death Stranding was at E3 we just haven't been looking hard enough

/S....maybe

NYR

I remember when this game was announced and thinking "this isn't coming out until 2019". Now it's, "I don't think this game is coming out until 2021".

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I remember when this game was announced and thinking "this isn't coming out until 2019". Now it's, "I don't think this game is coming out until 2021".

I was like cool a PS5 game or last PS4 hurrah game with a better Remastered version following suit in the way of TLoU did on PS3 and PS4

Sjefen

I'm not going to buy it since i got burned on MGS5, but if its good i'll definitely borrow it from a friend.

Last years with Konami was hell for Kojima, here he have total freedom and what seems to be a blank check from Sony. Please be excited

yuraya

It exists!

I would guess gameplay reveal next year @ E3 and release sometime around summer-fall of 2019.

I'm not going to buy it since i got burned on MGS5, but if its good i'll definitely borrow it from a friend.

Burned by what exactly?

The greatest stealth game of all time?
The best gameplay in any game ever?
Or was it because its the only open world game on consoles that runs @ 60fps this gen?

Kojima has my buy. But I expect this game to flop.

On the contrary, this is one game that I feel is a guaranteed success at this point. With a name like Kojima directing a project exclusive to their platform, Sony is going to throw as much marketing weight as they possibly can behind it to ensure it's a hit.

Ric Flair

Banned
I miss Metal Gear :,(
I remember wishing that Kojima would direct something other than MGS for the longest time and now that is he is I miss MGS lol. I have no idea what this new game is going to be like, but I hope the story is 100 percent crazy Kojima

Linkyn

Can't wait for the exclusive world pemiere gameplay trailer at this year's TGA.

I'm only semi-joking.

Q8D3vil

It exists!

I would guess gameplay reveal next year @ E3 and release sometime around summer-fall of 2019.

Burned by what exactly?

Or was it because its the only open world game on consoles that runs @ 60fps this gen?
Most dissapointing and boring game this gen.
solid gameplay doesnt mean jackshit when the world and mission design is trash.
Not to mention the worse freaking bosses ( there was 2 bosses right? ) In any mgs game.
Getting released after goat W3 didnt help either. Maybe in a alternative timeline were w3 didn't get released it would have been fine to accept the mediocrity of the open world in mgsv.
While we are at it, I thought GZ was much better.

Marcel

It exists!

Burned by what exactly?

Moment to moment gameplay is indeed excellent. A shame about everything else though such as the resolution to the story, the mission design, the pisspoor bosses, poor online implementation, online currency shit, etc.

Breakage

Already feels as if Kojima has wasted quite a bit of time endlessly tweeting pictures of the KP logo and variations of that ugly Michelin man mascot. I'll be surprised if this game still ends up being a PS4 title.

Top Bottom