• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

I think, as a 3D game from 1999, they still look exceptional. The detail in the texturing and in the environment is unmatched in games of that era. Even today they look good because of the small scope; they feel far, far more modern than something like GTA3 or even GTA4. It's still the only "open world" game where I genuinely buy the world and its inhabitants. Its dense and rich in detail.

The things about it that are annoying today are things that were annoying back then. The control scheme for general movement is awkward, the voice acting is poor, the lack of a time skip function (introduced in Shenmue 2) is annoying, and the script is really awkward. But it's oh so fun!

The plotting and pacing of the game are really wonderful and unique. It's a true slow burn and it's hard to think of many games that are as satisfying narratively as Shenmue 1's build into Shenmue 2 and then Shenmue 2's absolutely unparalleled climax and denouement.

The way Shenmue 2 ends is just like....and then they....and you don't get to see the end...and...

god.

bc18546a451c541c2825b22a35f72dc1.500x461x1.jpg

Sojgat

Reposting for newcomers cause it's not in the OP.

Looks like www.shenmue.com nameservers were updated to point to amazon web services on the 2nd June...

http://www.domainhistory.net/shenmue.com

What does that mean though? Like, it's supposed to point to an Amazon sale page or something?

No, Amazon Web Services is for web hosting. As far as I understand, they tend to offer services for sites that receive a lot of traffic.

The assumption is that Sega are preparing for a Shenmue.com update.

Edit: Another thing. Someone pointed out to me that Gio "#BuildingTheList" Corsi from Third Party Production & Developer Relations at PlayStation -- who is only following ~180 people -- has just started following Yu Suzuki on Twitter.

neS5Og4.gif

Just watched this on Yu Suzuki's Twitter from a couple of days ago, quite good.

Shenmue - 'Suka High
That guy getting mugged was so good. His scared movements made me crack up hysterically.
#TeamHuber

f5Bqccr.gif

Bossman walking off because he is about to just start laughing like crazy is just amazing that entire ending was amazing.
Yeah. Bosman's face as he realizes what Huber is talking about is hilarious.
Do the Shenmue games even hold up? Has anyone actually played it recently? Or is this just some insane rose tinted nostalgia?
I restarted a few months ago and I still loved it. I had to stop playing once my PC blew up though so I welcome a remaster or even a decent port.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Haven`t Shenmue 3 been teased a few times before without being anything? I remember the "SHEN 3" license plate on the go-kart. It was obviously just a tease, and im pretty sure they knew what they were doing. I wouldn`t be suprised if Yu stepped outside for a moment, saw it, thought it was funny and posted it on Twitter.

For its time it was a technical achievement and it still pulls off things open world games today don't do. The environment actually shifted between night and day and certain businesses were closed/open.

The story itself was well written and engaging and 2 was left on a cliffhanger.
We at least need a written story if 3 will never happen.

Neat. Too bad I don't have a Dreamcast to play the first two.

Shin-Ra

The biggest improvement to Shenmue, aside from the visual cleanup, would be cutting down the load screens to mere transitions.

Erevador

In a way, I think Shenmue has aged so well because it simply does things no other game does. It hasn't been outclassed in those areas because it just doesn't have any competition. It moves to the beat of its own drum.

This is a game where you can call your friends on the phone for absolutely no reason and than have really awkward conversations. You can go to the convenience store and spend a bunch of time trying to find the right food for an abandoned kitten. You can try to bury your grief for your dead father by distracting yourself with arcade games and gambling. More than any other game I've played you really felt that you are this person, this is your life, this is your house, these are your friends... and all of it has been tainted by this horrible event that has shattered your life.

In most games the heroes just leap into action with no consequences, but every bold thing you do in Shenmue you constantly feel the ways in which you are scaring and hurting the people around you who care about you.

It is just the best.

Elija2

No, Amazon Web Services is for web hosting. As far as I understand, they tend to offer services for sites that receive a lot of traffic.

The assumption is that Sega are preparing for a Shenmue.com update.

Edit: Another thing. Someone pointed out to me that Gio "#BuildingTheList" Corsi from Third Party Production & Developer Relations at PlayStation -- who is only following ~180 people -- has just started following Yu Suzuki on Twitter.

Oh my god, if this is legit...

I wish I was interested in games when Shenmue released, so I could be swept up in this hype.

I might be happy in just over 24 hours, because the disappointment of it not being there will be of little impact to me.

But most of all, I hope those of you who are excited, acknowledge that it might not be the easiest franchise to revisit for a AAA game, given how old it is now. I think both story and mechanics could have aged badly, and any form of re-framing or re-imagining could be equally badly received as a game pure to it's predecessors.

I dunno, I have no affection for Shenmue, so that's where I stand on it. Obviously if I loved it, I'd want it revisited.

Corto

I need to get sick really fast so I can miss work on Tuesday to follow the madness of Sony's conference live in here....

Vire

aside: man i wish this meme/term would die in a fire

It's not really a meme, it's a common phrase that's used in many forms of media outside of gaming. I didn't really mean it in a negative sense, I was just genuinely curious if these games are still as interesting and fun as they once were because I know a large part of the allure of Shenmue was how innovative and refreshing it felt at the time... But I guess since there hasn't been much like it since, it still captures that feeling.

I think, as a 3D game from 1999, they still look exceptional. The detail in the texturing and in the environment is unmatched in games of that era. Even today they look good because of the small scope; they feel far, far more modern than something like GTA3 or even GTA4. It's still the only "open world" game where I genuinely buy the world and its inhabitants. Its dense and rich in detail.

The things about it that are annoying today are things that were annoying back then. The control scheme for general movement is awkward, the voice acting is poor, the lack of a time skip function (introduced in Shenmue 2) is annoying, and the script is really awkward. But it's oh so fun!

The plotting and pacing of the game are really wonderful and unique. It's a true slow burn and it's hard to think of many games that are as satisfying narratively as Shenmue 1's build into Shenmue 2 and then Shenmue 2's absolutely unparalleled climax and denouement.

The way Shenmue 2 ends is just like....and then they....and you don't get to see the end...and...

god.
It sounds like to do it proper like it would take an insane budget to accomplish what the original Shenmue games did on modern consoles. Essentially asking for an absurd amount of individually detailed worlds/environments and a huge amount of improved voice acting, just doesn't seem feasible for a game with a relatively niche audience.

I'd love to see it happen to see what all the fuss is about though. I guess I could pick up the Xbox version one of these days.

Shion

I played the first one a few months ago.

It is as much of a breath of fresh air as it was when it was released. If anything, the innumerable dull and purely cosmetic "open worlds" that dominate gaming today just made me appreciate the micro-detailing, realism, and beauty of Shenmue even more. It is still extraordinary.

The game invites you to truly live in it's world in a way that is still unequaled.

Yep.

The naturalistic representation of everyday life, in Shenmue 1, is still unmatched IMO.

Shenmue being M.I.A wouldn't hurt as much if we got open world games that actually followed in its footsteps. Yakuza doesn't compare in the slightest other than the mini games.

Shenmue's world actually felt engaging and rich you weren't just playing a game.
You were playing a storybook that told you all the details of where you were and what you were doing next.

I played the first one a few months ago.

It is as much of a breath of fresh air as it was when it was released. If anything, the innumerable dull and purely cosmetic "open worlds" that dominate gaming today just made me appreciate the micro-detailing, realism, and beauty of Shenmue even more. It is still extraordinary.

The game invites you to truly live in it's world in a way that is still unequaled.

Perfectly summarised. The Shenmue games put most open-world environments these days to shame. It's amazing how far a little attention to the intimate details can get you when constructing a world that feels genuine and lived-in. Nothing can top Shenmue in that regard. Atmosphere that's off the fucking charts.

In a way, I think Shenmue has aged so well because it simply does things no other game does. It hasn't been outclassed in those areas because it just doesn't have any competition. It moves to the beat of its own drum.

This is a game where you can call your friends on the phone for absolutely no reason and than have really awkward conversations. You can go to the convenience store and spend a bunch of time trying to find the right food for an abandoned kitten. You can try to bury your grief for your dead father by distracting yourself with arcade games and gambling. More than any other game I've played you really felt that you are this person, this is your life, this is your house, these are your friends... and all of it has been tainted by this horrible event that has shattered your life.

In most games the heroes just leap into action with no consequences, but every bold thing you do in Shenmue you constantly feel the ways in which you are scaring and hurting the people around you who care about you.

It is just the best.

It's trying to achieve as much simulation as they can pack in a system. That is the fundamental difference between this game and Yakuza. The fact that people are actually comparing them as if they were cut from the same cloth is so disingenuously mindboggling. It is one of the very few games that discovery is very much part of the game experience. Till this day, I'm constantly surprised by the amount of easter eggs I can miss at this game

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not really a meme, it's a common phrase that's used in many forms of media outside of gaming. I didn't really mean it in a negative sense, I was just genuinely curious if these games are still as interesting and fun as they once were because I know a large part of the allure of Shenmue was how innovative and refreshing it felt at the time... But I guess since there hasn't been much like it since, it still captures that feeling.

It sounds like to do it proper like it would take an insane budget to accomplish what the original Shenmue games did on modern consoles. Essentially asking for an absurd amount of individually detailed worlds/environments and a huge amount of improved voice acting, just doesn't seem feasible for a game with a relatively niche audience.

I'd love to see it happen to see what all the fuss is about though. I guess I could pick up the Xbox version one of these days.

I mean, I said it earlier...I have no idea why a first party would pay for this. But as a fan, I'm ok with Suzuki making a visual novel or an endless runner or whatever if it delivers to conclusion to the story. Again, it's really important to note, though, that the world would not be big. Shenmue was never about OMG 5 BILLION SQUARE FOOT WORLD OF BETHESDA JANK TO EXPLORE or whatever. The first game is pretty small, actually-- Ryo's home, the surrounding neighborhood, a city area of a few blocks of shops, and then I guess the downtown harbor. It just worked though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom