• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet. So was the Dreamcast still alive in Europe and Japan at that point?.
I would assume so considering they bothered to do that and not give the U.S the same thing.
The only reason it didn't come out on Dreamcast in the US is because Microsoft paid for Xbox exclusivity as they bought their way into the market.

As a US Dreamcast owner looking to continue the story, it's one of those things I'll never forgive MS for.

Castef

Banned
I'm gonna take a guess and say Suzuki is going to launch a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter.

A "Shenmue 3 Kickstarter" would not make any sense.

It is not a game you can develop with 3/4 millions gathered on Kickstarter, also because lots of gamers never played the first two chapters.

Any announcement related to Shenmue would include a remaster or a reboot, not the third chapter alone.

Would releasing 3 really be that strange though?

Witcher 3 just came out and everybody I know bought it, yet nobody I know had played the past games, read the books or even heard of the franchise.

I imagine the same goes for a good 70% of the W3 console audience.

So I don't necessarily think Shenmue 1 & 2 need to be re-released first.

Would be nice though!

Erevador

The precedent for this is the announcement of Grim Fandango HD at the previous E3. A beloved game, that wasn't a giant hit, but has grown in stature since its release. Like Shenmue, it was a difficult game for gamers today to get their hands on. Also like Shenmue, it is considered the magnum opus of a creator with a passionate following.

The way that was handled makes it much easier for me to believe that Shenmue HD collection could realistically be announced at the Sony presser.

Breakage

I don't know if there's a consensus, but in my opinion the most likely scenario is that a HD Collection is going to be announced during Sony's #BuildingTheList segment, when someone on stage, likely Boyes or Corsi, will talk about what the Third Party Productions team is up to next.

A hypothetical Shenmue III announcement is waaay out there. I think the commercial performance of the remasters will determine whether a third game gets the greenlight or not.

I agree, this seems more likely and makes the most sense imo.

LuuKyK

So it looks like its set that we will get TLG, Shenmue 3 and FVII Remake in one single E3. Not even Y2Kev jinxing voodoos will prevent it from happening this time.

0rpriK6.gif

I would be ecstatic about a 3DS release using the original Dreamcast engine.

I'm literally playing the game right now and it looks beautiful in that 'Sonic 1 is still one of the best looking games of all time' kind of way.

cs1tpA0.gif

NO.

The great point about Shenmue IS the exploration, the world and everything in it.
It was never the biggest hit storywise, neither the best in any other department.
The true perfection was reached through the symbiosis of gameplay,technical advancements,the world,exploration and the wonderful music.
Everything just worked great together.

It was truly F.R.E.E.

I totally agree. This is pretty much how I feel about Shenmue and Lunacy.

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

takoyaki

I'm a lifetime member on the Shenmue 3 hypetrain and I'm convinced that the story will be finished in some form in our lifetime (my hope was always something episodic like Life is Strange with a fighting system), but a picture of a forklift is not enough to get my hopes up this year. Still, I really love E3; there’s always the chance that something crazy like this could happen :)

Tenzan

Banned
I would have thought that a new Shenmue would be announced at TGS. If anything I would think that a remaster would be a e3 announcement

I still wont believe it until I see it.

hopefully PS4 release though. But I'd take Wii U or even 3DS / vita at this point.

Just please not Microsoft, I can't trust them with something this big.

So it looks like its set that we will get TLG, Shenmue 3 and FVII Remake in one single E3. Not even Y2Kev jinxing voodoos will prevent it from happening this time.

0rpriK6.gif

Have we got any credible info on FFVII Remake?

If we get Shenmue 3, I think the HD collection will also be announced along with it, to tide people new to the franchise in.

JP

Amazing. The second the original voice files came up I about lost it lol. So nostalgic. I can't believe that was once considered acceptable by the gaming community. How far we've come. I hope the director gets to do some more shorts.
Lol. Shenmue's voice acting and sound effects sound like a bad Kung fu film.
They've aged really badly though, at the time they seemed so much better than anything I'd heard at the time.

Have we got any credible info on FFVII Remake?

If we get Shenmue 3, I think the HD collection will also be announced along with it, to tide people new to the franchise in.

The FFVII remake would be a sensible move after the internet meltdown at the time. I mean if it was just a simple port it should have been finished by now. Here's hoping.

Just for lulz:

Imagine how The Last Guardian AND Shenmue 3 are gonna get announced at the Sony Presser.
Seriously, that would be f#cking crazy :D

Blue_Moon

Neo Member
can someone get this translated?
http://www.jeuxactu.com/e3-2015-sony-va-annoncer-shenmue-3-et-ca-sera-une-exclu-ps4-99098.htm

it sounds like we're getting more than what we bargained for...

"Shenmue 3 is one of the biggest sea snakes in the history of video games, the Arles par excellence. It is now almost fifteen years that fans await a sequel to the first two games developed by SEGA Dreamcast, then the first Xbox name. Today, talking about Shenmue 3 returns to talk about Half-Life 3: something completely hopeless, that makes millions of gamers drooling but that will never happen. And yet. According to our information, Shenmue 3 is indeed a reality. The game will be presented at E3 2015: this will be exclusive to the PS4, with Yu Suzuki in charge!"

At least thats what i got from the google translator...

cs1tpA0.gif

NO.

The great point about Shenmue IS the exploration, the world and everything in it.
It was never the biggest hit storywise, neither the best in any other department.
The true perfection was reached through the symbiosis of gameplay,technical advancements,the world,exploration and the wonderful music.
Everything just worked great together.

It was truly F.R.E.E.
Perfect post is perfect!

Omikaru

I mean, I said it earlier...I have no idea why a first party would pay for this. But as a fan, I'm ok with Suzuki making a visual novel or an endless runner or whatever if it delivers to conclusion to the story. Again, it's really important to note, though, that the world would not be big. Shenmue was never about OMG 5 BILLION SQUARE FOOT WORLD OF BETHESDA JANK TO EXPLORE or whatever. The first game is pretty small, actually-- Ryo's home, the surrounding neighborhood, a city area of a few blocks of shops, and then I guess the downtown harbor. It just worked though.

Pretty much.

I reckon when people think "open world" and Shenmue, they think the game would have to scale up to GTA world size, and I just don't think that's feasible (or even what Shenmue is about).

Shenmue and GTA had different ideas of what an open world was. GTA was macro-level, which is what became more popular, while Shenmue was more interested in the micro-level stuff. It's why I find it absurd when people say Sleeping Dogs is an adequate Shenmue successor, because it's not. Yakuza is closer, but even with Yakuza, those games don't have the level of detail that Shenmue had.

Instead of having a whole city to explore ala GTA or Sleeping Dogs, AM2 gave you a few streets, and you could go in most of the shops and bars there. Even if you didn't need to as part of the main game story, the shop/bar was still there to explore. Meanwhile, at Ryo's home, you could open every drawer, pick up trinkets around the house, hold them in your hand and rotate them. And pedestrians had pre-planned routes that they'd walk every day, so the town felt intimate and alive.

These days a lot of that would be procedurally generated, but back in the day they had to do it all manually. I remember reading about a bug in development where there was a gridlock at the Tomato Store which destroyed the NPC's pathfinding because they didn't adequately plan each individual's movements.

http://www.jeuxactu.com/e3-2015-sony-va-annoncer-shenmue-3-et-ca-sera-une-exclu-ps4-99098.htm

"Shenmue 3 is one of the biggest sea snakes in the history of video games, the Arles par excellence. It is now almost fifteen years that fans await a sequel to the first two games developed by SEGA Dreamcast, then the first Xbox name. Today, talking about Shenmue 3 returns to talk about Half-Life 3: something completely hopeless, that makes millions of gamers drooling but that will never happen. And yet. According to our information, Shenmue 3 is indeed a reality. The game will be presented at E3 2015: this will be exclusive to the PS4, with Yu Suzuki in charge!"

Sacre bleu, that is just too outrageous to believe.

i mean really now, zut alors

Corto

According to their sources Shenmue 3 is a reality, it will be a PS4 exclusive and Quantic Dreams are developing it with Yu Suzuki directing it.

Blue_Moon

Neo Member
According to their sources Shenmue 3 is a reality, it will be a PS4 exclusive and Quantic Dreams ( LMAOOOOOOOO) are developing it with Yu Suzuki directing it.

thanks for the translation LMAOOOOOOO

ummm....so..... my question is....is their source Legit???? Im mean thats pretty crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom