• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Backers Will Not Receive Pre-Order Bonuses and Season Pass

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
shenmue-3-iii-ps4-playstation-4-1.900x.jpg

From user Chairmanchuck on Resetera:

"For those wondering about Season Pass, I just got a reply from YS Net: (tl:dr - backers won't get content in pre-orders/deluxe edition, including the season pass)

Dear Antonio,

We apologize for the long delay in responding. Your feedback is appreciated and we will look into having your noted points in future updates.

Standard and deluxe versions released through retail sales are not affiliated with the crowdfunding campaign, so will not be included with backer pledges, however, they will be available for sale separately. Kickstarter Backers will receive the Kickstarter version, Slacker Backers will receive the Slacker Backer version. Both have unique content respective to their versions not available in the retail versions.

A season pass is not included.

Trial version release date info has yet to be confirmed and will be announced in the updates when details are available. You will be receiving your trial trial version, but we must ask for your patience for a little longer.

There will be more information following in the days ahead concerning updates.

Sincerely,

The Shenmue III Team"

-Ysnet promises Steam keys as far back as beginning of June 2019. Few days later EGS exclusivity.
-Ysnet promises that all the game data will be on the disc. - Few weeks later "Only EGS.exe on the disc"
-Now backers who backed the game for hundreds of euros wont even get a season pass.

Preorder bonus are:
  • The “Blazing Kick” Advanced Technique Scroll
  • Kenpogi Training outfit
  • Peking Power Starter Pack* (this set can be downloaded only once per account)

In many cases, Kickstarter backers are given all content of a game even if it wasn't explicitly outlined in the campaign.

That said, none of this content was promised to backers, and there is no obligation to provide it.

Given the tantrum over Steam vs. Epic Games Store many backers threw, I very much doubt the publisher is inclined to provide a single thing not explicitly promised at this juncture. Shenmue has not exactly been a profitable series in the past. They are likely counting on backers buying the Season Pass to more than break even or make so little profit the investment was not worth it.

Pejo

My ire of the handling of this project is already stated enough on this site. That said, they never mentioned in the rewards that you'd get this content, so there's really no repercussion for this, regardless of how distasteful it is.

Ys Net is probably smart to sell this stuff separately to milk any remaining customers they have left after they shat out any remaining goodwill that was clinging on to an anus.

IpsoFacto

Oh so that's some people were talking about on Youtube. I thought they were just talking about the Epic Store situation again. To be honest, it's the first time I've heard of the season pass. Probably Deep Silver's doing. 'Cause publishers love season passes. That being my reaction to this is just shrug. The KS campaign never explicity mentioned a season pass nor was it any of the backer rewards.

kunonabi

I wouldnt expect the preorder bonuses to be included since those are more for retailers but the dlc situation sucks. Still, its shenmue 3 so I'm not really going to sweat the small stuff personally.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I looked at the backer rewards and they were all mostly toys and stuff. Not one said anything about extra content or DLCs. Are people making faux outrage without getting facts over there?

Between enraged console warriors, which would likely calm down if a port was announced, and faux outrage police any excuse to shit on this game is good. The said it themselves that they would like it to fail and will continue enter any Shenmue related threads to stir up the beehive...

Last edited:

Petrae

A “season pass” for a game that only came about because of e-begging but got full publisher support and cash from Sony anyway. That’s how modern video games roll!

This deal keeps getting worse all the time.

iconmaster

Banned
Backer beware. Some campaigns are handled extremely well and are a pleasure for those participating; some campaigns... aren't.

Yumi

At first reading i was getting fired up, then i saw the bonuses and and though "oh". This could have been way worse, seems pretty silly to get upset over.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No season pass is fine but like backing a kickstarter is the ultimate preorder so that's kind of scummy
Agreed. We effectively financed the game. Including the stupid preorder bonus is a no brainer. It may push me to ask for a refund. I was close already.

We are really outraged that they aren't giving out free additional content above what was originally promised and agreed upon? Get over it.

No it is just petty. They have stupid preorder shit that could easily have been given to the backers, i.e. those that preordered over 2 years ago and just got dicked around over the platform on PC. Preorderers get content that they don't pay for either. it is a silly lure to get them to part with money prior to their being reviews. It has next to no value whatsoever, but it is kind of lame that someone can get this now but the people who made the entire game possible are not considered.

Last edited:
I looked at the backer rewards and they were all mostly toys and stuff. Not one said anything about extra content or DLCs. Are people making faux outrage without getting facts over there?

I'd like to know this as well. The Steam thing I can kind of see, I think it's a bit childish but okay, it was promised. Was a season pass ever promised here?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The game having a season pass - ridiculous. It's #$%#ing Shenmue.
Season pass not being given to backers - not a problem, as it was never promised.
Preorder bonuses not being given to backers - terrible. Those that backed the game via "get the game" tiers did preorder the game... before everyone else. Dick move by YS Net.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ys net should add the preorder bonus to all backers and the season pass to all backers paying for a tier that costs the same or more. You don't go all in with technicalities like "well none of this was announced on the campaign so you didn't pay for it" to the people who made the game happen ffs.

Feels like they're doing everything they can for fans to start wishing the series had remained in the past like tons of other SEGA classics.

Last edited:
As a higher tier backer this particular news doesn't make me angry but annoyed/disapointed like if your elementary school aged child shit their pants and didn't say anything until you noticed the smell. It's not the end of the world but you expect better from them, thinking, if not saying, "why can't you be normal?".

Doom85

Yeah, I would not expect a season pass to be included unless a reward tier specifically mentioned it. That being said, backers are like the ultimate form of pre-orderers so not getting the bonuses is a REALLY uncool move.

Tiamat2san

First and last kickstarter game , i’ll ever give money.
I’m ok with the season pass is not included.
But the pre-order bonuses, seriously?
We preordered the game earlier than anybody...
Fuck that shit

Arkage

Banned
-Now backers who backed the game for hundreds of euros wont even get a season pass.

I mean, there wasn't a tier that had season pass listed. And you could back the game for as little as $30.

Pre-order bonus is more annoying IMO. But whatever. I backed a game 6 years ago for $75 that still hasn't been released. What can you do.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, there wasn't a tier that had season pass listed. And you could back the game for as little as $30.

Pre-order bonus is more annoying IMO. But whatever. I backed a game 6 years ago for $75 that still hasn't been released. What can you do.
Oh, this changes everything. Oh wait, we already knew, it doesn't. Saying some people backed it for less doesn't mean shit either, some backed it for more, some for TONS more, it's not like they can't find that information to apply it only where appropriate. It's about showing some good will vs being total dicks to the people who made the project happen, not about technicalities and legalities which we can all be pedantic about but choose not to because we can tell a dick move when we see one, lol. Nobody said they should get sued over it accepting it wasn't promised at any point so has no grounds beyond leaving many backers feeling disgruntled and screwed over (again!). The pre-order bonus also wasn't announced during the campaign so it makes no sense to be more annoyed about that simply based on what was and what wasn't listed as you stress anyway.

Last edited:

Kazza

I'm a $30 slacker-backer myself (digital PC copy). I was only expecting a super bare-bones game, but surprisingly it looks like we are going to get a full AA Shenmue game (thanks in no small part to the extra funding provided by Deep Silver). I think Shenmue has united two very focal groups, those who hate kickstarter and those who hate the Epic Games Store, so unfortunately a constant stream of internet drama and faux outrage is pretty much a given at this stage. (further exacerbated by some youtubers whose very bread and butter is drama and outrage).

I am curious about the season pass though. What the hell does a Shenmue season pass look like?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
A season pass for Shenmue? Geez they're really greedy. I wonder if they'll even cover the entire story in the base game or expect you to pay extra for the ending.

Backer beware. Some campaigns are handled extremely well and are a pleasure for those participating; some campaigns... aren't.
Most campaigns are a huge gamble. It can always seem like an honest kickstarter at first, but things may change very drastically (especially if there's additional money involved ;)).

(I won't comment on Shenmue's campaign, because I didn't follow it)

Last edited:
Shenmue III backers keep getting fucked again and again.

I feel like Bloodstained backers got really lucky with how things turned out for us. Most of these big-name KS have not went well at all.

Since EGS is currently fronting the cost of refunds for backers angry about the Steam to EGS switch, couldn't backers unhappy about no DLC and Season Pass just refund their KS and then buy it retail later on if they want? Seems like a good option right now while Tim Sweeney is in a giving mood.

Last edited:
The problem starts from the fact that people must understand that Kickstarter is a funding and not an ordering platform. Pledging to a project is not pre-ordering.

The fact that person a does something to please it's backers (backers not customers) doesn't mean that person b is obligated to do the same thing.

FranXico

Backing actually consists of an earlier, riskier investment than pre-ordering, but backers aren't entitled to pre-order bonuses.
Not a good look.

Blancka

The problem starts from the fact that people must understand that Kickstarter is a funding and not an ordering platform. Pledging to a project is not pre-ordering.

The fact that person a does something to please it's backers (backers not customers) doesn't mean that person b is obligated to do the same thing.

I agree to an extent in that I thought the outrage when they moved to EGS was completely unjust (they never once promised steam until 3 years after funding completed), but I sympathise with the buyers here, if only because it means they can't get these bonuses (to my knowledge) without dropping another full priced purchase. I'm unaware if they're available as paid DLC anyway, and if they are that's fair, but being unable to get ALL of the content of a game you've backed without buying a second copy is a bit crap.

I mean, I don't think kickstarter projects should even have pre-order bonuses, but then again, the devs being able to do anything they want with my money once they get it and potentially do things I don't agree with is why I don't use kickstarter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shenmue III backers keep getting fucked again and again.

I feel like Bloodstained backers got really lucky with how things turned out for us. Most of these big-name KS have not went well at all.

Since EGS is currently fronting the cost of refunds for backers angry about the Steam to EGS switch, couldn't backers unhappy about no DLC and Season Pass just refund their KS and then buy it retail later on if they want? Seems like a good option right now while Tim Sweeney is in a giving mood.

Sure, it sounds a bit scummier than what is occurring here though. Getting fucked? How?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm a $30 slacker-backer myself (digital PC copy). I was only expecting a super bare-bones game, but surprisingly it looks like we are going to get a full AA Shenmue game (thanks in no small part to the extra funding provided by Deep Silver). I think Shenmue has united two very focal groups, those who hate kickstarter and those who hate the Epic Games Store, so unfortunately a constant stream of internet drama and faux outrage is pretty much a given at this stage. (further exacerbated by some youtubers whose very bread and butter is drama and outrage).

I am curious about the season pass though. What the hell does a Shenmue season pass look like?

There is also a Sony hating group that stills feels raw this game is not on Xbox One yet and is trying to shit on it at every angle and started when the Kickstarter was collecting money (“well if I cannot have it, nobody should” philosophy I guess)...

Kazza

There is also a Sony hating group that stills feels raw this game is not on Xbox One yet and is trying to shit on it at every angle and started when the Kickstarter was collecting money (“well if I cannot have it, nobody should” philosophy I guess)...

Yeah, there seemed to be some hate for Sony following the E3 kickstarter reveal, with strange rumours such as how they were secretly funding the game and just using the kickstarter to get extra money. Years later, and it really does seem that they simply wanted to give the crowdfunding campaign a bit of a kickstart by hosting it on their stage. I don't care about the drama and am happy by what (it seems) I'm going to get for my $30, but I do worry about how the vitriol will affect the chances of a Shenmue 4. Hopefully Epic will help bankroll it, which I'm sure would please some people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lort

Banned
I for one are happy that kickstarters received a raw deal, noone should need to kickstart a game that can easily get funding ... if you think preordering a game ( which u can always cancel and get your money back from) is bad this is just crazy .. star citizen kind of crazy.

Blancka

Yeah, there seemed to be some hate for Sony following the E3 kickstarter reveal, with strange rumours such as how they were secretly funding the game and just using the kickstarter to get extra money. Years later, and it really does seem that they simply wanted to give the crowdfunding campaign a bit of a kickstart by hosting it on their stage. I don't care about the drama and am happy by what (it seems) I'm going to get for my $30, but I do worry about how the vitriol will affect the chances of a Shenmue 4. Hopefully Epic will help bankroll it, which I'm sure would please some people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If the game is decent I don't think there's anything to worry about. EA's continual success shows how little impact "boycotts" and bad PR actually have. Surprisingly enough, people who were never planning on getting a game pretending they were for the sake of acting like sales have been lost doesn't actually cause sales to drop.

xion4360

I get the season pass not being included, but pre-order bonuses? I should get those...I was one of the first people to pre-order this game and paid a lot more than what even the deluxe version costs.

Blancka

I get the season pass not being included, but pre-order bonuses? I should get those...I was one of the first people to pre-order this game and paid a lot more than what even the deluxe version costs.
In that case couldn't you just request a refund since they're giving them, and then pre-order the deluxe version while getting a little money back for yourself too?

Lastyou1

Banned
This game was supposed to be a return to form to classic gaming.

It was implied that no DLcs, pre-order bonuses and other bullshits were to be made.

I am not angry because I backed the game on Kickstarter since day 1 and didn't get something I wasn't promised and wasn't included in the package. I am angry because a low budget game made by an half failed game director has to put pre-order bonuses and DLCs in his game.

Shenmue 3 was supposed to be made for the fans. If they wanted to kiss big company asses, Yu could have avoided the Kickstarter campaign.

I feel used and manipulated.

Petrae

This game was supposed to be a return to form to classic gaming.

It was implied that no DLcs, pre-order bonuses and other bullshits were to be made.

I am not angry because I backed the game on Kickstarter since day 1 and didn't get something I wasn't promised and wasn't included in the package. I am angry because a low budget game made by an half failed game director has to put pre-order bonuses and DLCs in his game.

Shenmue 3 was supposed to be made for the fans. If they wanted to kiss big company asses, Yu could have avoided the Kickstarter campaign.

I feel used and manipulated.

“Classic” gaming has been dead for years. Internet connectivity killed it. Fucking PONG would have a Season Pass and Day One DLC if it was released today.

Pretty much every major release is poisoned by this shit.

I don’t know who to blame this on— Yu or Deep Silver. It’s shitty either way.

Top Bottom