• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBear

I'm really not a fan of Ryo's face in the kickstarter. It really didn't need to change, the original design is fine.

May we can ask a question about how wedded to that design he is, or why the design of his face has changed?

Is this supposed Shenmue I & II HD people keep talking about an actual HD remaster or simply the originals emulated?

They were initially planned to be released as part of Sega's Heritage Collection series that included Sonic Adventure 2 HD, Jet Set Radio HD and Nights HD. Subsequent ports were (heavily rumoured and reported to be) Shenmue 1 & 2 HD and Skies of Arcadia HD. The ports then tanked with less than stellar sales so were thus abandoned. The hope is that with this renewed interest in Shenmue Sega will reconsider. To directly answer your question they should theoretically be proper HD remasters as the previous games in the series were.

Erevador

I'm really not a fan of Ryo's face in the kickstarter. It really didn't need to change, the original design is fine.
From Kickstarter FAQ:
The screenshots and images posted are still in the early stages of development, and will continue to be improved. Please help spread the word on all of your social networks so that we can deliver a Shenmue 3 that lives up to its legacy!
Basically, it is a cheapo mock-up thrown together for the crowdfunding campaign. The real game will look nothing like it. Worry not.

kamakazi5

All I know is that there are serious licensing issues prohibiting Sega from releasing a HD Collection, for fear of being sued by whoever owns the rights to those certain products and trademarks in the game.

I'll refer you to this post...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145265872&postcount=94

Explains the situation better than I can.

Thank you for posting this. I made a post the other day in response to people asking for a port and I knew it was something to do with the engine but couldn't quite remember. Hopefully it can get worked out some way.

Theonik

kunonabi

I'm still worried about these stretch goals. If an infiltration mission or battle event is part of his script shouldn't that just be part of the game?

Grep

Banned
I never played Shenmue, but something bothers me..

Why wont Sony fund entire game, and instead KC campaign is used for funding?

I mean, why is Shenmue different then any other recent game made by Sony (financially speaking)?

Is this some complicated contractual story?

Garlador

I mean, why is Shenmue different then any other recent game made by Sony (financially speaking)?

Just risk aversion.

Shenmue I & II LOST money, as well-liked as they were. They simply don't want to accept the full financial burden... not yet, at any rate.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Basically, I'm guessing they were nervous about how much demand there was for a 14 year old franchise that sold less than 1 million copies on a dying console. Apparently their fears were not justified. :D

Erevador

This exact same comment shows up on every page. Do we need to add something to the OP?

Boke1879

Well Sony doesn't own the Shenmue IP. Doubt it's as simple as just throwing money at it.

Yu said he was going to do a KS no matter what. the 2 million was clearly just to see if there was interest. Sony is potentially one investor that's willing to put in money to the project now that it's funded. How much that is? We'll never know.

There could also be other investors involved as well.

GavinGT

Banned

Shenmue is a gigantic money pit. It was conceived as the ultimate AAA game, the one that would save the Saturn (and later the Dreamcast). It sold decently on Dreamcast, but still lost millions. Not enough people bought it, but the ones that did are desperate to see it return.

It's even more risky now that we're 15 years out from the last game.

Theonik

Well Sony doesn't own the Shenmue IP. Doubt it's as simple as just throwing money at it.

Yu said he was going to do a KS no matter what. the 2 million was clearly just to see if there was interest. Sony is potentially one investor that's willing to put in money to the project now that it's funded. How much that is? We'll never know.

There could also be other investors involved as well.
It probably is as simple as that looking at Bayonetta 2. SEGA appears willing to let this sort of thing happen, but Sony probably doesn't find it worthwhile to drop $14m on an IP they don't own.

Why are we not at $5,000,000 yet ladies and gents?

original

GavinGT

Banned
I'm still worried about these stretch goals. If an infiltration mission or battle event is part of his script shouldn't that just be part of the game?

In a perfect world where he has all the money he wants. But the only way he can make this happen is if he's prepared to make compromises.

Theonik

Shenmue is a gigantic money pit. It was conceived as the ultimate AAA game, the one that would save the Saturn (and later the Dreamcast). It sold decently on Dreamcast, but still lost millions. Not enough people bought it, but the ones that did are desperate to see it return.

It's even more risky now that we're 15 years out from the last game.
The original would have needed more sales than DCs existed at the time to turn a profit. At $1.5m you were talking about Skyrim level attach rates for it.

Well, lack of competence with budget control didn't help, costing $70m and all.
It's kinda easy to judge until you consider the tools that were available when Shenmue was developed and the scope of the project as well as other factors. The GDC14 Shenmue retrospective is a gooe video. At its peak, they had 300 people working on it which at the time was unheard of. This approaches modern AAA madness.

In a perfect world where he has all the money he wants. But the only way he can make this happen is if he's prepared to make compromises.
"Shenmue III will be the story you have wait for. But this kickstarter will be real success when you choose to make it the real Shenmue experience you have wait for. The future of Shenmue is in your hands now"

Any wild guesses how high this will go by the time it's done? Especially with a huge flurry at the end which usually matches and exceeds the first day or two?

Anyone think it could do as high as 10 million?

GavinGT

Banned
Any wild guesses how high this will go by the time it's done? Especially with a huge flurry at the end which usually matches and exceeds the first day or two?

If it keeps making 140k per day (its current pace), it'll reach 7 million without even considering any sort of increase at the end.

Bashtee

Any wild guesses how high this will go by the time it's done?

Anyone think 10 million?

A couple pages back there were some calculations bringing the campaign to 9 or 10 mio., maybe more during the last stretch.

To be honest, it's a relief that they added a 3000$ tier. Shows that they actually are trying to make the kickstarter better.

And wow at those numbers. Over 10.000 messages? That is... a lot to read.

kamakazi5

I originally thought 4-5 million. Right now my guess would be right around 6 million. I can't see them hitting 10 million unless some big changes are made.

batfax

I hope so. I at least think it'll be the biggest title yet--- not counting ones that get post-KS support of course. Though I hope this one will have a similar portal or something post-campaign so pledges can continue to roll in or people can save up money to upgrade to the tiers they really want. Like the one guy who jumped at the opportunity for a Ryo's jacket replica, but then quickly realized they couldn't afford it in time.

It's possible. 29 days is a long time. They will be answering questions and adding new information and tiers all the time hopefully. Also Sony should step up their promotion of this any way they can and as you say these things always get a final boost on the last day.

I will double my pledge to $200 for ps4 physical. Not sure what the issue is. Cost?

Costs tend to be the reason why most Kickstarter's avoid having physical discs for PS4/One/Wii-U. Though this one is a bit of an odd case considering they have Sony's funding it to some extent. I'm guessing either they are working out the details and want to make sure it's happening before adding it to the tiers or they just don't feel it's worth the potential costs.

anaron

I wish sony's involvement was saving the license from Sega or something so it would at least make sense as to why they're only partially funding

nny

You know. I'd be 100% fine with PC physical LE packaging if they did it in DC style. Something like a PAL DC case using black instead of blue plastic for the centre would be hella cool.

As long as it came with two backup cases for when one inevitably breaks...

I will double my pledge to $200 for ps4 physical. Not sure what the issue is. Cost?

It's definitely a weird one.

Maybe Sony are worried that if all the fans "buy" a physical copy through Kickstarter there won't be many left to sell upon release as anyone who wanted one would have it already.

Based on this, maybe they're planning to release a physical copy but are hoping that people who pledged will perhaps double dip for a physical copy too when it gets released. Kinda takes advantage of Shenmue fans but I'd probably double dip after all these years.

There's also a lot of time between now and ~December 2017 so maybe they don't want to promise physical copies this far out with no idea how the funding will be spent.

I wish it was clarified but maybe we'll get more info tomorrow in the Yu Suzuki AMA.

I wish sony's involvement was saving the license from Sega or something so it would at least make sense as to why they're only partially funding

It seems from that translated interview that Kickstarter is the route the Yu Suzuki decided was best, he weighed it up for 3 years but was not able to partner with a company that met his criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom