• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.A

Banned
Will Shenmue 3 conclude the series or does there need to be more after?

There's no indication that this is the last game. Yu Suzuki said in the last couple of years he'd need at least 2 games to finish the story, though plans might have changed.

So..has anyone ever looked up the wiki to QTE's before?..How isn't this a meme?

Like, I've been reading up on Shenmue due to the announcement and I came to read about how its credited as having the first known QTE ever, which lead me to the wiki page that included a "mock up" of said event:

1280px-Quick_time_event_mockup.jpg

Every single time I play Shenmue, that little girl gets a soccer ball to the head.

Tailzo

There's no indication that this is the last game. Yu Suzuki said in the last couple of years he'd need at least 2 games to finish the story, though plans might have changed.

If they cram everything into one game. How can it release in 2017? It would be huge...

ocean

Banned
Looks like Sega were at the heart of the holdup and this taking so long to get off the ground. This is probably not thread-worthy but I'm sure some of you guys will find it interesting if it is not known:

According to a French newspaper (not games media, a traditional newspaper), a French co-producer helped make this game possible. Cedric Biscay apparently heads a company which worked for a long time to sort out the licensing permission from Sega for the campaign. They interviewed him and he confirmed that Sega still holds the rights, but has accepted the project.

Here's the source (in french):

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/163...henmue-3-va-devenir-realite-grace-kickstarter

I don't know why the previous link was truncated, I fixed it. Here's a new article on the same newspaper with more on the interview. Details:

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/163...ur-francais-shenmue-3-raconte-dessous-revival

• Shibuya International approached Yu for conversations in 2013 in Monaco, later meeting in Tokyo and San Francisco
  • Two options juggled: a true sequel or a less financially risky alternative. They went with a sequel because it's what everyone was waiting for.
  • "For years, Sega refused to produce a sequel to Shenmue, which was a commercial flop on the Dreamcast. Moreover, the company refused to hand over the rights despite Yu's requests."
  • Biscay not giving any details on the agreement, but says Sega still holds all the rights but has accepted the project.

Biscay confirms US$2 million is obviously not enough. His company is participating in the financing; the other partner being Sony. More than financing, the Kickstarter is being used to gauge fan interest in the title.

delume

Super late to this but sweet baby Jesus, that Gametrailers crew reaction is my moment in gaming this year. Pure childish joy! So good.

KiteGr

One more Shitty stretch goal to go before getting to the serious ones.
Once they reveal stretch goals about retail versions on consoles, and/or the first 2 games becoming available to play in some way, then I might back it my self.

Let's get real for a minute: What corners can they realistically cut to bring down the budget without greatly impacting the experience?

- text dialog for less important characters?
- fewer interiors?
- less intricate AI?

What made Shenmue so special was all the unique interiors you could enter with their own little tune. I hope they can offer something similar.

Qvoth

Hmmm it's nearing 2.9 million now, seems like money has slowed down?
It'll probably get around 4 tops, just because of the 3.5 million skill tree

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why the previous link was truncated, I fixed it. Here's a new article on the same newspaper with more on the interview. Details:

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/163...ur-francais-shenmue-3-raconte-dessous-revival

• Shibuya International approached Yu for conversations in 2013 in Monaco, later meeting in Tokyo and San Francisco
  • Two options juggled: a true sequel or a less financially risky alternative. They went with a sequel because it's what everyone was waiting for.
  • "For years, Sega refused to produce a sequel to Shenmue, which was a commercial flop on the Dreamcast. Moreover, the company refused to hand over the rights despite Yu's requests."
  • Biscay not giving any details on the agreement, but says Sega still holds all the rights but has accepted the project.

Regarding the bolded, I just don't get that. Why sit on a failed IP? You won't do anything with it and the creator wants it back and you say "no"? What could Sega possibly have to gain?? ....they didn't make Shenmue pachinko machines, did they?

The money slowed down considerably once it was announced Sony was involved. I think they should have held off talking about that for a week or two.

Mendax

Regarding the bolded, I just don't get that. Why sit on a failed IP? You won't do anything with it and the creator wants it back and you say "no"? What could Sega possibly have to gain?? ....they didn't make Shenmue pachinko machines, did they?

To bring sega back in a negative spotlight

Qvoth

As a business, selling asset is always the last thing you should do

Nope, the only thing Sega has used Shenmue for since Shenmue 2 was adding Ryo into Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed as PC Exclusive DLC.

$4 million by the end of the week, perhaps.

$4 million total? Don't make me laugh. Nothing stops this train, especially if further stretch goals are revealed.

Qvoth

Well yeah, but if it was one that didn't go well for you, might as well sell.
Nah, the money you get from selling probably isn't worth it especially since this is a failed ip, and if it did turn out to be successful after you sold it away, you'll be a laughing stock
Too much risk for low reward

Patapwn

$4 million total? Don't make me laugh. Nothing stops this train, especially if further stretch goals are revealed.

I think it will top around 4.5 - 5 million. Kickstarters tend to start off explosive then taper off into nothing until the very end

The money slowed down considerably once it was announced Sony was involved. I think they should have held off talking about that for a week or two.
Nah. I think it was a bit expected for it to slow down like that. I've noticed that a lot of kickstarters do that. Massive start, slow missile, and then a boost at the end.

GavinGT

Banned

I'm betting on it ending around 6 million. Really it depends on what the announced stretch goals are for the two extra villages. If the campaign doesn't reach those stretch goals by its own momentum, us hardcore Shenmue fans will dig deep and make it happen.

I think it will top around 4.5 - 5 million. Kickstarters tend to start off explosive then taper off into nothing until the very end

KS projects typically have a big boost right near the end, amplified even moreso if it's a high-visibility project like Bloodstained or Star Citizen. I'd expect them to hit $5.5 - 6 million by the end, especially if the extra villages are stretch goals.

Bl@de

I really hope they don't rush the story. The slow and realistic pacing of the story made Shenmue special. People waited a long time for the next chapters and and they will wait more if it's good.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, the only thing Sega has used Shenmue for since Shenmue 2 was adding Ryo into Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed as PC Exclusive DLC.

I keep forgetting that happened. Pretty random!

Nah, the money you get from selling probably isn't worth it especially since this is a failed ip, and if it did turn out to be successful after you sold it away, you'll be a laughing stock
Too much risk for low reward

Well now they are :p No risk, no possible reward. But I mean, it's their fault for just shelving it when people were begging. Now they know...

I can see this campaign having a hard time passing $4.5M if they don't do something about the various issues their Kickstarter has (many of these issues would of damned most other Kickstarters).

The biggest issues have to do with the lack of higher tiers (Whales tend to make or break campaigns in total funded), no budget breakdown or talking about any outside investment and the lack of communication. The fact that they would rather answer questions via messages to each person instead of using updates to inform all backers is a odd/concerning choice.

I want this campaign to become the highest on the video game side of Kickstarter. But unless they start to address these obvious faults in the campaign, they will most likely drop like a rock in the same fashion Yooka-Laylee did (It's first two days were 56% of their total funds, meaning it had a very unhealthy fall after those 2 days were up).

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
If he doesn't finish the story, and on the small chance its a runaway hit, you would assume sega would step in and take control of the IP again.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Damn, Kicktraq is down. I'm curious what their experimental estimate shows.

ocean

Banned
I can see this campaign having a hard time passing $4.5M if they don't do something about the various issues their Kickstarter has (many of these issues would of damned most other Kickstarters).

The biggest issues have to do with the lack of higher tiers (Whales tend to make or break campaigns in total funded), no budget breakdown or talking about any outside investment and the lack of communication. The fact that they would rather answer questions via messages to each person instead of using updates to inform all backers is a odd/concerning choice.

I want this campaign to become the highest on the video game side of Kickstarter. But unless they start to address these obvious faults in the campaign, they will most likely drop like a rock in the same fashion Yooka-Laylee did (It's first two days were 56% of their total funds, meaning it had a very unhealthy fall after those 2 days were up).

It is a flawed campaign but you can't really blame it for being extremely front-loaded. It was announced at the Sony E3 press conference and it's freaking Shenmue 3. We brought the Kickstarter website to its knees. Most projects will never have a moment with even a fraction of that visibility.

So yeah, reaching 50% of total funds in the first few days wouldn't be surprising and not even necessarily a bad or unhealthy thing.

kiyoaki

Yes. All that and a less amateurish video would probably go a long way towards convincing more people who are not die-hard fans of the old games to pitch in. Whatever company is handling this doesn't appear to have much experience with Kickstarter.

It's going to make a lot of money regardless, and one day after I'm still very very happy that this series will continue.

I would never have expected such a huge amount of money to be put towards such a project. It's pretty insane and now how can the game possibly live up to expectations put upon it... I mean srsly.

kiyoaki

New update just in
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1266077
Throughout the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign, we will have a whole carnival of everything that is Shenmue to celebrate this occasion. Exclusive interviews, game and development info, polls, and lots more! (Can’t spoil all the surprises, can we?)

To kick off our Super Shenmue Update Spectacular, we have a special guest who has had Shenmue close to his heart since the very beginning.

Founder of Camoflaj, and fresh from his success with his own Kickstarter for Republique, this pillar of the gaming community made his mark as a video game journalist and with his work on the Metal Gear Solid series and Halo 4.

So give a big welcome to Ryan Payton as he talks Shenmue, crowdfunding and Yu Suzuki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom