• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan X

Banned
You're not a backer yet? The video is just Ryan Payton gabbing about his love of Shenmue.

I am a backer but I think you have misunderstood. I'm saying that the vimeo video address cannot be accessed so the video can not be used on other websites. They shouldn't do that, they should make sure that all videos are fully accessible for some medias may find it news worthy.

eso76

Shenmue 3 parlerà anche in italiano

Almost 3m Dollars and 30 more days!

Edit: hard beaten

What's with Italian gaffers always posting in italian as soon as they're given the chance ?! :)

(L'importante è che il parlato sia Giapponese !)

Anyway, kickstarter going as i imagined. Diehard Shenmue fans who kept their special Shenmue credit card on their desk for years waiting for this moment already pledged large sums of money, after which i am afraid it will stall.

Of course, the game is currently presented as a title only Shenmue fans would be interested in playing. They need to show more to grab the attention of a larger crowd.

ocean

Banned
70k from 3mil, wish it had some more compelling upgrade options under $100.
Retail PS4 as a US$60 option would have made far more people back the game above the minimum pledge in my opinion. Strange choice. I thought it was a typo when I saw PC had a physical version and console didn't I mean what :p

GavinGT

Banned
Hopefully YsNet is rapidly looking for someone to help them manage the campaign.

They already have a team:

Ibcne0m.png

Communication, media relations and Kickstarter project consultation and support.

They could be doing a better job, though.

Spaghetti

Hopefully YsNet is rapidly looking for someone to help them manage the campaign.
i was under the impression Awesome Japan were doing that going from the kickstarter page

they're a little slow on the uptake though, they need a better social media presence

PKrockin

So apparently Shenmue has a history of enormous/out-of-control budgets to help accomplish what the original games did. I'm kind of wondering if Sony and the other financial backers are really willing to shell out enough dough to make a game on a big enough scale to be called Shenmue.

It's still so fucking surreal that we're actually talking about Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3, guys! What?! Waited so long for this and it's still not really set in yet.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's still so fucking surreal that we're actually talking about Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3, guys! What?! Waited so long for this and it's still not really set in yet.

And not in ambiguous terms anymore. No more "maybe" or "if"

It's fucking happening. For sure. 100% certain now. It's actually going to enter development.

Also funny is how effortlessly Shenmue can spawn 40+ page topics now.

Spaghetti

looks like its gonna cross $3m within the next hour or so.
we'll see.

it's easy to identify the lul periods now (when the americans are going to bed and before the europeans wake up), but there's definitely a slowdown.

then again, it's started speeding up since crossing 2.9 million. i think we'll see a similar boost before every big milestone like that. the trick is getting it through the hump of the other 900,000 before it reaches that point.

BlazinAm

So apparently Shenmue has a history of enormous/out-of-control budgets to help accomplish what the original games did. I'm kind of wondering if Sony and the other financial backers are really willing to shell out enough dough to make a game on a big enough scale to be called Shenmue.

A lot of what Shenmue did had already been mastered and accomplished in a cheaper fashion. I doubt that Shenmue is going to go above and beyond what open world games have already done.

Mugen08

i was under the impression Awesome Japan were doing that going from the kickstarter page
they're a little slow on the uptake though, they need a better social media presence
Agreed, there are no official reactions in the comments and they should really do a Q&A soon. Have tried to point this out in the comments.

looks like its gonna cross $3m within the next hour or so.
I doubt it will be that quick.

Amazing days. I hope fans do not only enjoy the end-goal but also this process over the coming weeks. It sure is a bit rough at times with the non-disclosed Sony-collaboration, weak presentation and lack of information. But hopefully it will all improve.

eso76

It's pretty typical for Kickstarter.

I know, but if the purpose of the KS is to test the title's marketability (?) i think it doesn't make sense to allow pledging such large sums.

In this case, KS is very marginally helping fund the game, i assume, with the best part of the budget provided by the producers.

I am afraid this:

what's worrying is that most of the shenmue fans will be backing this KS, and getting a game as a result of it. when/if Shenmue 3 is actually released, all of the target fanbase will have already received the game as part of the KS perks and wont be able to buy this game.

i suspect this game will flop hard, maybe 100k copies at most if it reaches retail at all.

might be happening, eventually making Shenmue 3 a commercial flop again.

What i mean is, this KS being successful doesn't necessarily mean there's a market for Shenmue, It means there's 40.000 persons who would do anything to see it happen, but the game needs to do well at retail too.

The physical PC release in a jewel case would fit in with the two DC releases more than a PS4 case would.

True, didn't even check what the PC version would come in, but then I would end up not playing it...can't play console games on PC, I'm stupid like that.

MaxiLive

I know!!!!!! :D It is so great to see the franchise finally return!

Shenmue 3 isn't going to be half as grand as the previous games when they came out back in their day. It is going to be a sequel to Shenmue II so expect it to have the scale and gameplay of the old games.

Krejlooc

Banned

eso76

I'd be very happy and honoured to help with the PR in respect to video assets and filming. Not a problem!

I 'do' opening (and closing) videos and presentations for medium-large-ish events for a living. That's probably why i keep ranting and cringing about that video. There's just so much wrong about it
I was just inspired to volounteer with that, but a) would require tons of filming abroad b) i am sure Suzuki has a staff of much better professionals on the job and offering help would sound like an insult :)

How much do you think a basic remaster of 1&2 might cost to make? Would love if Sega saw the overwhelming positive reaction to 3 and found a way to remaster 1&2 to capitalize on the new interest in the franchise.

Krejlooc

Banned
How much do you think a basic remaster of 1&2 might cost to make? Would love if Sega saw the overwhelming positive reaction to 3 and found a way to remaster 1&2 to capitalize on the new interest in the franchise.

They've already done it. They've been sitting on them for years.

0UXHO57.jpg

Pandy

I commented in the negative about Sony's involvement earlier, but having had a chance to listen to Adam Boyes speak about, I'm happy to support the project again.

The really should have been more transparent about this at announcement, regular Kickstarter users like myself are pretty sensitive to potential Red Flags, but it does seem fine.

Shenmue III. I can finally be excited!!!! :)

Aki-at

The models do bother me but I think it's expected, there's not really an art director for this team but I'd imagine now that funding is off the ground Suzuki has a list of people he can call up on to help give assistance.

Guessing this is PartnerNet? Why wouldn't Sega release this? With Xbox One > 360 BC it makes even more sense to do it now...

- Binary Domain, Vanquish and everything bombed and SEGA was like OH SHIT cancel everything except the ports!

- Then NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure 2 (Kinda) bombed and SEGA was like BAIL OUT and the dream was dead again.

Until Tuesday.

To be fair though, between 2012 - 2013 SEGA lost like $200 million but the last two years have seen their profits bounce out significantly, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll release these ports now after seeing how well Valkyria Chronicles has done and how good the response is to this.

What's with Italian gaffers always posting in italian as soon as they're given the chance ?! :)

(L'importante è che il parlato sia Giapponese !)

Anyway, kickstarter going as i imagined. Diehard Shenmue fans who kept their special Shenmue credit card on their desk for years waiting for this moment already pledged large sums of money, after which i am afraid it will stall.

Of course, the game is currently presented as a title only Shenmue fans would be interested in playing. They need to show more to grab the attention of a larger crowd.

i'm italian but rarely play games in italian, since I was a kid I owned a C64 and all games were in english
in the 90's I started playing in japanese (50hz f*uck you) even if I didn't know anything about the language
I played Shenmue in english and honestly I didn't like so much, Shenmue 2 was dubbed japanese and dubbed english, that was much better
but now I live in Japan and probably I'll play Shenmue 3 in japanese, but I have to admit that italian subtitles is a good feature, hope more people will give it a chance due to this opportunity :)

Aki-at

It's going to be crazy when SEGA decides to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 and see what a massive response it's going to have. If they haven't discussed it already, I'm sure they'll be asking Suzuki for PC publishing rights for Shenmue 3 :p

(Just for reference, Valkyria Chronicles PC port has done over 440k according to Steamspy.)

It's going to be crazy when SEGA decides to re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 and see what a massive response it's going to have. If they haven't discussed it already, I'm sure they'll be asking Suzuki for PC publishing rights for Shenmue 3 :p

(Just for reference, Valkyria Chronicles PC port has done over 440k according to Steamspy.)

Yeah, that Kickstarter alone should push them to release 1 and 2 in HD. They'd be crazy not too. But it's Sega so who knows...

MetalSlug

The models do bother me but I think it's expected, there's not really an art director for this team but I'd imagine now that funding is off the ground Suzuki has a list of people he can call up on to help give assistance.

- Binary Domain, Vanquish and everything bombed and SEGA was like OH SHIT cancel everything except the ports!

- Then NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure 2 (Kinda) bombed and SEGA was like BAIL OUT and the dream was dead again.

Until Tuesday.

To be fair though, between 2012 - 2013 SEGA lost like $200 million but the last two years have seen their profits bounce out significantly, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll release these ports now after seeing how well Valkyria Chronicles has done and how good the response is to this.

Do you know how well SA2 HD sold across PSN/XBL/Steam?

If they really are practically complete, SEGA would do well to release it as soon as possible. This is probably unrealistic, but within two or three months after the Kickstarter ends would be ideal. Hype will inevitably slow down as months and months pass by while waiting for Shenmue 3, which may impact (slightly) the sales of Shenmue HD.

As a bonus, they can release the Skies of Arcadia HD port so that it doesn't seem like they are just trying to capitalize on the Shenmue hype ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom