• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Contact Me" on the right side next to the company name is probably your best bet. Most people running campaigns keep an eye on those messages 24/7 and do their best to respond.

I went ahead and suggested more tiers and stretch goals, as well as better explanations for the ones that are currently left.

My final suggestion was a Facebook/Twitter account to help centralize the social buzz and cause it to grow.

Should break 3 million in the next couple of hours.

I agree the KS page needs a revamp with more info and details on additional stretch goals.

Kazer

There's essentially nothing they can do to change the funding curve that nearly every successful-out-the-gate Kickstarter experiences.

Shenmue is going to look like it bottomed out particularly hard particularly fast, but that's because it also had literally the highest exposure of any Kickstarter announcement ever. I agree that they could use more tiers, but in all honesty they're fine. Short of a complete fuck up in the next 4 weeks, there's really not much that's going to affect the final total more than a couple hundred thousand in either direction, which while not negligible, isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things with a project this size.

Yeah that is true, especially with how crazy this did during the first 24 hours. Still, I would like this to get as much money as possible so I'm hoping they add a few more tiers.

Spaghetti

I wonder how many old Shenmue fans have already heard about this. I know I haven't really followed E3 for a couple of years now and if Rock Paper Shotgun didn't report on it, I may have missed it.
saw this in the kickstarter comments

makes me worried that a lot of people who would add funding don't even know this exists.

There's essentially nothing they can do to change the funding curve that nearly every successful-out-the-gate Kickstarter experiences.

For everything that Bloodstained did, it had possibly the most typical, symmetrical funding curve I've ever seen on a Kickstarter.

Shenmue is going to look like it bottomed out particularly hard particularly fast, but that's because it also had literally the highest exposure of any Kickstarter announcement ever. I agree that they could use more tiers, but in all honesty they're fine. Short of a complete fuck up in the next 4 weeks, there's really not much that's going to affect the final total more than a couple hundred thousand in either direction, which while not negligible, isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things with a project this size.

They need to do something. The KS is slowing down quite a bit. I think the bigger focus is that they need more backers in general.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Days later:

Z8hbhna.gif

Boke1879

They need to do something. The KS is slowing down quite a bit. I think the bigger focus is that they need more backers in general.

Again. They are fine. It's already funded and It's almost at 3 million.

This is pretty typical of kickstarters. Strong initially out the gate and then slows up until like the final 2 or 3 days.

This had a high initial surge because it had A LOT of exposure.

Maybe some more milestones would help. I know if they added a PS4 physical for $60 I'd up my pledge from the $29 reward.

El_Cinefilo

While it seems like there's no chance of a remaster of 1&2 being part of the Kickstarter, I hope SEGA jump on this press and release it on PS4 now, and wishful thinking I know, But that they let you import saves through all three.

Guys, I'm thinking about increasing my pledge and getting the PC physical edition. Do I have to pay extra for the delivery? (I live in Chile). And it should come with a Steam code right?

MaxiLive

It is getting very close to 3 Million now at $2,987,010!

Hopefully in a few days some new reward trees will be added that will give the Kickstarter a little bump and allow more options in the final push. Also some additional extended goals for the community to shoot for :D

nny

Guys, I'm thinking about increasing my pledge and getting the PC physical edition. Do I have to pay extra for the delivery? (I live in Chile). And it should come with a Steam code right?

As you pledge, the shipping information is added. They've been adding $10 for physical rewards (which seems too little, I hope it doesn't bite them in the ass later).

In regards to Steam, it is not guaranteed; it depends on how they decide to distribute the digital version - and if they will include a digital version in the physical one.

Theonik

It is getting very close to 3 Million now at $2,987,010!

Hopefully in a few days some new reward trees will be added that will give the Kickstarter a little bump and allow more options in the final push. Also some additional extended goals for the community to shoot for :D
Looking at the video they have hidden goals for 2 more locations after the $4m goal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think people should worry about it slowing down. That's normal and this was a huge start. They do need to rework the page to keep money coming in down the stretch though.

It's limping to $3 million, the Sony news has really killed the momentum.

Now Sony are in though, is the extra money for the extras villages still necessary?
Also with Sony now in they can offer PS4 physical copies... right?

We need an update soon.

kiyoaki

Looking at the video they have hidden goals for 2 more locations after the $4m goal.
I wonder if these might refer to locations that would otherwise only turn up in Shenmue 4 or 5?

Getting the whole rest of the story told in SM3 would certainly be a huge incentive to reach these stretch goals.

Theonik

I don't think people should worry about it slowing down. That's normal and this was a huge start. They do need to rework the page to keep money coming in down the stretch though.
Personally I am not worried. I just WANT it to keep burning money like a failing European economy.

If the rather dry nature of the Kickstarter is anything to go by, the stretch goals are going to be pretty straight forward. Probably increments of 500k or 1 million for expanded Bailu and Choubu.

GavinGT

Banned

Now Sony are in though, is the extra money for the extras villages still necessary?
Also with Sony now in they can offer PS4 physical copies... right?

We need an update soon.

I doubt news of more funding had a detrimental effect. If anything, it should assure people that the game won't be some second-rate mess.

The stretch goals are there to get more Kickstarter money, of course. More money is always better. It will mean a better game.

Garlador

So, I backed this due to the overwhelmingly positive fanbase these games have, but having never had a Dreamcast nor an original Xbox, I never played any of them.

... But I was pleasantly surprised Shenmue II is backwards compatible with Xbox 360 and, lo and behold, my local game store had a copy for a measly $7 with the DVD movie included.

I just checked Ebay prices, so I'm feeling pretty good.

So, GAF, what am I in for?

Yawnier

Banned
Probably a safe bet that the funding on kickstarter will slow down for most of the next month, then will pick up again in the last few days in the middle of July.

They should put those village stretch goals on the kickstarter page with all the other goals though (unless they're just waiting for now)

So, I backed this due to the overwhelmingly positive fanbase these games have, but having never had a Dreamcast nor an original Xbox, I never played any of them.

... But I was pleasantly surprised Shenmue II is backwards compatible with Xbox 360 and, lo and behold, my local game store had a copy for a measly $7 with the DVD movie included.

If you can't get ahold of the 1st game, watch Shenmue The Movie. It's a complete recap of the story for Shenmue 1 using in game scenes.

This.

On a psychic level, the game is funded and already guaranteed to come out. Now that we know it's being supported by Sony itself, there's not much of an impulse or personal sense of ownership (as silly as that is) over the game's success like with other projects.

Spaghetti

a kung fu epic. quite literally actually.

as i gather, kung fu can be defined as force of body and serenity of mind. that's a big theme in the game and is reflected in the gameplay a lot too.

it's not the biggest world by today's standards, but it's still pretty big and detailed.

omonimo

Banned
This.

On a psychic level, the game is funded and already guaranteed to come out. Now that we know it's being supported by Sony itself, there's not much of an impulse or personal sense of ownership (as silly as that is) over the game's success like with other projects.
Jeez. If this game not needs of the Sony money, probably the developers would have refuse their offer. Lol to people who think this game would be existed without a big name behind the project.

clem84

Gold Member
This.

To my knowledge, this is the first time a KS project is funded partially by a publisher. You have a point, it might definitely hurt the KS in the long run. It was probably a mistake to reveal this info before the end of the crowd funding campaign. But the way I see it, the more money the KS gathers, the more likely it is we'll see a sequel.

I personally don't see my pledge as supporting the project, which it still does, but more of a purchasing a version of the game I really want so I'm ok with Sony backing it.

Boke1879

To my knowledge, this is the first time a KS project is funded partially by a publisher. You have a point, it might definitely hurt the KS in the long run. It was probably a mistake to reveal this info before the end of the crowd funding campaign. But the way I see it, the more money the KS gathers, the more likely it is we'll see a sequel.

I personally don't see my pledge as supporting the project, which it still does, but more of a purchasing a version of the game I really want so I'm ok with Sony backing it.

This is not the first time a KS has been partially funded by a publisher. Most KS have an initial goal they must meet before a publisher gives them the financial backing they need.

Multi year Gaf lurker, first time poster. Needed a good reason to start posting, and I'm pretty sure this is as good as it gets. I've never been a big fan of Kickstarter, but I'm going to create an account just to back this... Just need to decide how much I want to plop down. Do you guys think that the toy capsules will be a decent collectible for die hard Shenmue fans? Also, do you think new rewards will show up towards the end of the Kickstarter?

androvsky

To my knowledge, this is the first time a KS project is funded partially by a publisher. You have a point, it might definitely hurt the KS in the long run. It was probably a mistake to reveal this info before the end of the crowd funding campaign. But the way I see it, the more money the KS gathers, the more likely it is we'll a sequel.

Star Citizen originally had publisher backing, but the crowdfunding was enough to cover the publisher's portion. Bloodstained very obviously had publisher backing (hence the physical PS4 discs as a backer reward), and I think Mighty Number 9 did too. It's relatively common, actually. I've seen non-gaming Kickstarters that were basically marketing campaigns for small businesses with investor backing, and I've seen ones like that fail their campaign and not get the extra investor backing.

Most of all, Amplitude did the exact same thing with Sony, where Sony agreed to help out if they reached the goal (and it nearly didn't).

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Multi year Gaf lurker, first time poster. Needed a good reason to start posting, and I'm pretty sure this is as good as it gets. I've never been a big fan of Kickstarter, but I'm going to create an account just to back this... Just need to decide how much I want to plop down. Do you guys think that the toy capsules will be a decent collectible for die hard Shenmue fans? Also, do you think new rewards will show up towards the end of the Kickstarter?

You can always change the amount you kickstart.

They will only take your money if the kickstarts goal is fulfilled and when it ends

Iorv3th

It's certainly not the first. Bloodstained just had a similar thing. Exact same thing happened for the veronica mars movie.

Par Score

This is just how Kickstarters go, you can check almost any high-profile successful project like this and see exactly the same curve.

They could definitely get a bump from existing backers by adding some juicy higher tiers, but after the big initial push it's hard to get in a lot of new backers, until the second rush near the end.

Wiggy

Recent Kickstarters

Bloodstained
Backers: 64,867
Pledged: $5,545,991
Avg Pledge: $85.5

Yooka
Backers: 73,206
Pledged: $3,283,762
Avg Pledge: $45

Shenmue (as of time of writing)
Backers: 38,168
Pledged: $2,997,100
Avg Pledge: 78.5

Spaghetti

I want to contribute so bad since I am a huge promoter but, funds are tight😭
if it helps, you've got a whole 30 days to rustle up $29.

i know a few people who are waiting for pay day before they drop on this.

actually, i expect there may be a boost towards the end of the money because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom