• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Haha... I love video games and the joy they bring. : )

That random dude

isibmxr2ac9i3rjjjs.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I love the Yakuza series but never played any Shenmue. Is emulation the most viable way to play the dreamcast and xbox game?

Original hardware is the best and still most "viable" way to play both.

However, I believe both games can be played to completion via nullDC, the dreamcast emulator, so that's probably the next best thing. However, Shenmue 2 was only released for the Dreamcast in Europe and Japan and Xbox emulation is poor at best.

So, you have some options.

chalex010

Banned
Recent Kickstarters

Bloodstained
Backers: 64,867
Pledged: $5,545,991
Avg Pledge: $85.5

Yooka
Backers: 73,206
Pledged: $3,283,762
Avg Pledge: $45

Shenmue (as of time of writing)
Backers: 38,168
Pledged: $2,997,100
Avg Pledge: 78.5

This just shows how desperately higher tiers are needed for Shenmue. Bloodstained managed an average of almost $10 more per backer on a game that doesn't have nearly the hype level of Shenmue.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
all kickstarters do this. You have a big push in the first 48 hours, and the last 48 hours, then sort of a trickle between them.

The reasons for the initial push are obvious, but what is the explanation for that second spike at the end?

Theonik

I love the Yakuza series but never played any Shenmue. Is emulation the most viable way to play the dreamcast and xbox game?
The DC versions can be emulated but there are visual glitches. The Xbox version cannot.
The Xbox version has English VA and some corrections and graphical upgrades over Shenmue II DC. You do lose cross-save which was supported in the DC however. (Shenmue I progress and collectibles transfer over)

The Xbox version is playable on the 360 but has graphics glitches, and occasional poor performance.

How much would it cost to port Shenmue 1 and 2?
It is not a question of money as much as it is a question of SEGA getting off their butts.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The reasons for the initial push are obvious, but what is the explanation for that second spike at the end?

There can be a number of factors including people wanting to back a winning project, people tightly managing their finances, and inexplicably, people who want to contribute specifically to be part of the "final push."

chalex010

Banned

Last chance to get in for procrastinators, superfans bumping up tiers, and final pushes to hit new stretch goals.

How much would it cost to port Shenmue 1 and 2?

Port or emulate? Sega is almost certainly unwilling to put any effort into a port, but if an iphone can run Vice City I'm pretty sure an emulated Dreamcast version should be trivial on modern hardware.

Theonik

A few things, people wait to see how the campaign progresses, pressure mounts pushing people over the edge, last minute upgrades, and Kickstarter now lets you follow a project so you get notified when there is 48hrs remain. Basically, you see something interesting follow it, get emailed and when 48hrs hit you can decide to back it or not.

Edit:
Going to be real hard then.
Well even SEGA can't ignore a $6m KS surely.

wiibomb

there's not a paypal option, right? I realized yesterday that kickstarter for some stupid reason rejected my credit card (it was already accepted for Mighty No. 9!!!!! >:[ ) and I lost bloostained because of that..

I fear for my backing on shenmue IIII because of this credit card that I do not understand still

Theonik

If Sony are going to pour in some funds anyway, doesn't mean that tiers will be covered anyway even if not reached through Kickstarter?
We still don't know what Sony is actually doing about the game everything is vague. At any rate Sony has already gotten their money back for what they've done so far in goodwill alone.

Also, if Sony is putting money in this, the more the fan support the less reluctant they would be to really invest in this because it creates the impression that this can actually have AAA potential.

We still don't know what Sony is actually doing about the game everything is vague. At any rate Sony has already gotten their money back for what they've done so far in goodwill alone.

Also, if Sony is putting money in this, the more the fan support the less reluctant they would be to really invest in this because it creates the impression that this can actually have AAA potential.

Well The Witcher 3, which is certainly AAA material needed 30 million dollars to make. Let's say the Kickstarter reaches 10m - I wonder how much more would Sony tempted to drop on the project.

PseudoViper

While I am super happy, this is such a shitty way to go about this whole thing. Smh, I hope this game really makes it out the door.

wildfire

Banned
Its slowed down a lot.

Might not hit 4?

This is normal for crowdfunding. At its current trajectory hitting 5 million is easy. I would be surprised if it doesn't make more than 7 million if Sony and YS don't do something stupid enough to anger backers.

Theonik

Then let's make Shenmue 3 in Poland :p
I don't think we can handle that level of Polish.

They've been ignoring everything for 14 years, but you're right, let's hope money will talk. I'm all for it, obviously.
Since Yu had to negociate with SEGA to get the license in the first place, I'd be really surprised if they aren't planning something. They have a ton of stuff to show in these 30 days.

While I am super happy, this is such a shitty way to go about this whole thing. Smh, I hope this game really makes it out the door.

How is this shitty?

Sony gets a great console exclusive and a shitload of goodwill.

Yu finally gets to make the game with the backing of a major company plus fan support, and got to announce the project during the biggest press conference of the year, directly after one of the biggest game reveals of the year.

Fans get to support the game directly and get some cool swag for doing so.

What is so wrong about this? It was a marketing masterstroke and everyone
except the Xbone
gets what they want.

Xieldos

I've got a feeling after the Kickstarter has ended we'll see a PS4 retail release confirmed. I believe they can't confirm a PS4 retail release unless they are in an official contract with PlayStation, but then that would mean they couldn't run a Kickstarter.

I might be totally wrong on that but that's my assumption.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a feeling after the Kickstarter has ended we'll see a PS4 retail release confirmed. I believe they can't confirm a PS4 retail release unless they are in an official contract with PlayStation, but then that would mean they couldn't run a Kickstarter.

I have a feeling too. I'm still waiting JUST in case the announce it in a couple weeks, buuuuut I do want that artbook/soundtrack.

EDIT:
Have any other Kickstarter's ever offered a physical PS4 copy tier? How many?
Bloodstained eventually got ALL consoles (except 3DS).

Is that what happened with MN9? Can't remember if there were physical copies for backers.

Shenmue 1+2 HD and 3 on disc would make my life.

Theonik

Do Sony have any limits on what can be a retail release?
Kinda. SCEA has a laundry list of what they will and will not allow to release on PlayStation and there is additional risk associated with retail console release.
However I'd be seriously surprised if this doesn't get a PS4 LE. I expect to be able to get that and then buy PC digitally down the line.

qcf x2

It's probably too short to waste a disc.

Do Sony have any limits on what can be a retail release?

Is this a joke? Too short? Have you ever played Shenmue? Do you think Sony and Y's Net are working together on a mere demo or a single town? C'mon man.

Skyzard

Banned
Is this a joke? Too short? Have you ever played Shenmue? Do you think Sony and Y's Net are working together on a mere demo or a single town? C'mon man.

It's like a worried joke. I'm worried that's what they're going to turn shenmue into because of how much they're asking.

Kinda. SCEA has a laundry list of what they will and will not allow to release on PlayStation and there is additional risk associated with retail console release.
However I'd be seriously surprised if this doesn't get a PS4 LE. I expect to be able to get that and then buy PC digitally down the line.

I'd be surprised too...if it was faithful to the length of 1 & 2...

This is normal for crowdfunding. At its current trajectory hitting 5 million is easy. I would be surprised if it doesn't make more than 7 million if Sony and YS don't do something stupid enough to anger backers.

Like Sony saying that they use KS as market research?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom