• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
6c94707b3539478b30d8b75bfcbec11b.gif

zeshakag

Like Sony saying that they use KS as market research?

Shenmue fans backed this. Shenmue fans know how expensive Shenmue is, and know $2,000,000 is way low for a Shenmue game. I would say most were hoping that Shenmue WAS indeed getting additional financing from elsewhere. Backers of this Kickstarter are psyched that the game now has a bigger budget, and most were probably hoping that was the case.

Nobody who backed or would back gives half a shit about that.

Only concern trolls care, and they would never have backed in the first place.

Seriously, Shenmue fans don't care, only "concerned" Shenmue "fans" care, the later probably haven't backed it anyway as you said, but they can buy the game when released if they want to without any upfront risk because of the former.

Hell, every single one of those 3 million dollars hasn't actually changed hands yet and could technically still be revoked by fans with a month to go, but they won't, they are fans who waited about a decade and a half for this, because everyone essentially said until now, "No, Shenmue 3 isn't going to happen, can't fund it, won't fund it. Now beat it."

The game is going to exist now, don't care about the logistics, get it done!

Past

Now that Sony admitted to be funding the game, I wish they would update their Kickstarter's FAQs and be more honest on their answers. Give a definitive answer to why there's no Xbox One/Wii U version and why there's no reward for a physical PS4 copy instead of saying "no plans as of now".

qcf x2

It's like a worried joke. I'm worried that's what they're going to turn shenmue into because of how much they're asking.

I'd be surprised too...if it was faithful to the length of 1 & 2...

The game was mostly planned out already, and it's going to be a full budget title with 2+ yrs to go until it releases. Not sure how that adds up to a short game. I don't think you have anything to worry about, it will almost definitely be bigger than the first two games, which were limited in part by the hardware.

Krejlooc

Banned
Seriously, Shenmue fans don't care, only "concerned" Shenmue "fans" care if you get my meaning, the later probably haven't backed it anyway as you said, but they can buy the game when released if they want to without any upfront risk because of the former.

Hell. every single one of those 3 million dollars hasn't actually changed hands yet and could technically still be revoked by fans with a month to go, but they won't, they are fans who waited about a decade and a half for this, because everyone essentially said until now, "No, Shenmue 3 isn't going to happen, can't fund it, won't fund it."

Consider that the people pointing to it "slowing down" as proof that people are upset about the kickstarter thing are missing that it's slowed down from "several hundred thousands of dollars per hour" to now merely "several thousands of dollars per hour" as proof.

Even at the "slow crawl" it's going, the money Shenmue 3 is continuing to bring in is astronomical. There are countless kickstarters who would kill to be going at the rate Shenmue III is going at right now.

Now that Sony admitted to be funding the game, I wish they would update their Kickstarter's FAQs and be more honest on their answers. Give a definitive answer to why there's no Xbox One/Wii U version and why there's no reward for a physical PS4 copy instead of saying "no plans as of now".

I hope the FAQ reads:

Q: Why is there no Xone/WiiU version?

A:Because Sony is funding it.

Q: Really?

A:Yes.

Q:Really!?

A:Yes.

Consider that the people pointing to it "slowing down" as proof that people are upset about the kickstarter thing are missing that it's slowed down from "several hundred thousands of dollars per hour" to now merely "several thousands of dollars per hour" as proof.

Even at the "slow crawl" it's going, the money Shenmue 3 is continuing to bring in is astronomical. There are countless kickstarters who would kill to be going at the rate Shenmue III is going at right now.

None of your logic. People are invested in trying to rain on this parade.

Krejlooc

Banned
Loading the vid... give me a few minutes! (Unless someone does this faster than me)

Shoot me the translation through a PM and I'll work on getting subs onto the video. If you can, include who is saying what in your translations to make it easier for me.

Nobody who backed or would back gives half a shit about that.

Only concern trolls care, and they would never have backed in the first place.

My comment was in other direction. Now people knows Sony is behind the project and maybe the crowfunding campaign's stretch golas has far less meaning than before, because the main milestone was achieved.

I can see pledges freezing from now on

Piggus

I think most people can put two and two together with regard to other versions of the game. If someone help fund the game with hopes of there being an Xbox version then that's their own fault for not having any common sense.

NDPsycho

Shenmue fans backed this. Shenmue fans know how expensive Shenmue is, and know $2,000,000 is way low for a Shenmue game. I would say most were hoping that Shenmue WAS indeed getting additional financing from elsewhere. Backers of this Kickstarter are psyched that the game now has a bigger budget, and most were probably hoping that was the case.

I think the same. I also think that publisher involvement to some extent helps alleviate concerns of a ks actually fullfilling it's goals and the game getting released in a timely fashion.

MaddenNFL64

My comment was in other direction. Now people knows Sony is behind the project and maybe the crowfunding campaign's stretch golas has far less meaning than before, because the main milestone was achieved.

They won't since Yu is still asking. If I was a betting man, I would take the over on 4 mil any day of the week.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ironic said:

The figure just jumped $6000 in the last 5 minutes.

EDIT: and in the time it took me to type this post, it jumped another $150-ish.

EDIT: And in the time it took me to type that edit, it jumped another $500.

Zerojul

Yeah they need higher and better tiers. Also demand for PS4 disc is huge. http://strawpoll.me/4645434/r

1000s of people are stuck on the $30 tier. :/

Exactly, Bloodstained KS was awesome with its tiers. PS4 physical + artbook for $150 was a total no brainer for me, with Shenmue 3 I don't really know what to pledge because of the lack of physical console release. I have little doubt it will happen, but the sooner the better.

Piggus

While I am super happy, this is such a shitty way to go about this whole thing. Smh, I hope this game really makes it out the door.

In what way is it a shitty way to go about it? It wouldn't exist any other way. What ultimately matters is the support for the game is very strong and that means it will probably have a pretty healthy budget, which is what a game like Shenmue needs.

MaddenNFL64

The figure just jumped $6000 in the last 5 minutes.

lmao

edit: anyone "concerned" for Shenmue fans need not. We want to give. I will give more down the road. No matter what the split is between Sony/other investors, and KS, we all still want to make a difference.

Saladinoo

Exactly, Bloodstained KS was awesome with its tiers. PS4 physical + artbook for $150 was a total no brainer for me, with Shenmue 3 I don't really know what to pledge because of the lack of physical console release. I have little doubt it will happen, but the sooner the better.

Agreed, I'm pretty certain I will pledge, but i'll be a bit annoyed if they release a physical PS4 version when it finally comes out.

Didn't notice this earlier but they changed the answer to the "Is this game affiliated with SEGA?" question this morning. Used to read "SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license." Now it reads "SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue 3" license." Guess it's just to clarify yet again that they can only work on Shenmue 3 and have no control over the originals, i.e HD re-releases etc.

TnDcZ8W.png

FQeOAFw.png

Euryd1ce

Neo Member
Interesting infos from interview :

- The story begins directly where Shenmue II ended
- May have arcade games (it's a kickstarter stretch goal)
- New gameplay features : retrieve fighting skills scrolls, part of fighting system, can be unlocked in mini-games, gambling, side quests. The scrolls will unlock super moves and increase Ryo's skills.
- Good relationships between Sega and Yu Suzuki. Sega gave all elements from Shenmue 1 and 2 that Yu Suzuki need for Shenmue 3
- Cédric Biscay is in charge of PC version, and to find funds
- We will get new infos february 27, at "MAGIC " convention in Monaco

(sorry for my english)

Zedox

Over 3 mil. :)

I shall definitely get the PC version (so I don't have to worry about backwards compatibility with the PS4).

Seriously, Shenmue fans don't care, only "concerned" Shenmue "fans" care, the later probably haven't backed it anyway as you said, but they can buy the game when released if they want to without any upfront risk because of the former.

Hell, every single one of those 3 million dollars hasn't actually changed hands yet and could technically still be revoked by fans with a month to go, but they won't, they are fans who waited about a decade and a half for this, because everyone essentially said until now, "No, Shenmue 3 isn't going to happen, can't fund it, won't fund it. Now beat it."

This.

Yeah they need higher and better tiers. Also demand for PS4 disc is huge. http://strawpoll.me/4645434/r

1000s of people are stuck on the $30 tier. :/

They really really need to add a physical PS4 copy to the pledges, it's a glaring omission. Especially given the recent news that Sony is funding the game. Or maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet, because Sony is planning to manufacture and distribute PS4 discs themselves and they don't want it included in the Kickstarter? I dunno. It's weird either way.

$3 million though. 3 million and we're not even a whole two days in. Yu must be feeling so great right now bless him.

Exactly. It shouldn't even be an argument.

Darksol

Interesting infos from interview :

- The story begins directly where Shenmue II ended
- May have arcade games (it's a kickstarter stretch goal)
- New gameplay features : retrieve fighting skills scrolls, part of fighting system, can be unlocked in mini-games, gambling, side quests. The scrolls will unlock super moves and increase Ryo's skills.
- Good relationships between Sega and Yu Suzuki. Sega gave all elements from Shenmue 1 and 2 that Yu Suzuki need for Shenmue 3
- Cédric Biscay is in charge of PC version, and to find funds
- We will get new infos february 27, at "MAGIC " convention in Monaco

(sorry for my english)

Nice!

More I read the more hyped I get. Every little piece of information just generates the excitement I felt when it was first announced a couple days ago! Hoping to see that arcade game stretch goal go up with some others soon!

Skyzard

Banned
The game was mostly planned out already, and it's going to be a full budget title with 2+ yrs to go until it releases. Not sure how that adds up to a short game. I don't think you have anything to worry about, it will almost definitely be bigger than the first two games, which were limited in part by the hardware.

Plans change.

2years for a modern shenmue on that budget?

I'm genuinely worried, as a patient fan, who did back (physical pc). He ought to clarify if it is or isn't going to be with a similar scope to 1 and 2.

Otherwise I'd just prefer a really good graphic novel.

It's a weird thing for me with the PC getting the physical while the PS4 does not because my wants are the exact opposite.

I'm okay with going digital for my PC, but I need....crave a physical console release for Shenmue 3.

Bloodstained:

$30 tier: 20,155 backers

$60 and up tiers: 45,000 backers

More than 2/3rd of the backers pledged $60 or more

Shenmue 3:

$30 and less tier: ~25,000 backers

$60 and up: ~14,000 backers

Only ~1/3rd of backers pledge $60 or more

They really really need to add a physical PS4 copy to the pledges, it's a glaring omission. Especially given the recent news that Sony is funding the game. Or maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet, because Sony is planning to manufacture and distribute PS4 discs themselves and they don't want it included in the Kickstarter? I dunno. It's weird either way.

It's probably that, and Sony needs to make a special kickstarter exclusive physical version.

More I read the more hyped I get. Every little piece of information just generates the excitement I felt when it was first announced a couple days ago! Hoping to see that arcade game stretch goal go up with some others soon!

Every once in a while I will say "Shenmue 3 is coming soon" aloud. I smile, every single time. Still cannot believe it is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom