• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
Plans change.

2years for a modern shenmue on that budget?

I'm genuinely worried, as a patient fan, who did back. He ought to clarify if it is or isn't going to be with a similar scope to 1 and 2.

Nobody knows the budget.

2 years is a modern dev cycle.

I trust Yu Suzuki all the way but I am hyped to think that I/we get to express our ideas as backers via polls and beta play.

I want it to be more of the same Shenmue that I know and love but something tells me Yu wouldn't be satisfied with just that. If he gets a good enough budget he might try revolutionizing gaming all over again. :)

Skyzard

Banned
It is known the budget is above $2 million

I don't need to know exactly but fans deserve to know if they're getting a full experience or a bite size version, especially when they're being asked to comit to the franchise again, including upfront financials.

11351278_1450032731975618_5606280487486418421_n.jpg

Just thought I'd remind people that Shenmue's soundtrack is coming out on vinyl for the first time in September.
Seems a little more relevant now!
Europe
US

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't need to know exactly but fans deserve to know if they're getting a full experience or a bite size version, especially when they're being asked to comit to the franchise again, including upfront financials.

They already said it would be a full shenmue experience. Both adam boyles and yu suzuki have said this in separate interviews, and suzuki says it again in the kickstarter video

Skyzard

Banned
They already said it would be a full shenmue experience. Both adam boyles and yu suzuki have said this in separate interviews, and suzuki says it again in the kickstarter video

Maybe he's lost it because how. Why would Sony pay for PC. Sega aren't even putting their name on it.

Maybe Sony gets PC cuts too but even still.

How much could he really get for timed exclusivity...

MrCuddle

You know what one of the best aspects of this is?

I can now listen to the Shenmue OST without feeling like crap again.

I'm in for the printed art book!

Krejlooc

Banned
Maybe he's lost it because how. Why would Sony pay for PC. Sega aren't even putting their name on it.

Maybe Sony gets PC cuts too but even still.

How much could he really get for timed exclusivity...

Sony isn't "paying for pc."

They are funding shenmue 3. And yu suzuki is bringing it to ps4 and pc.

Seriously.... I can't stop watching this.
I just wanna hug him there. So happy for him :)

Haha, yeah, watching their FF7remake reaction to this was just pure childhood levels of gaming enthusiasm.

I loved how Sony put a indie game montage for a breather, but it was only for a few minutes, and they were clearly still on that FF7 high, just settingly down, and then boom. Final Fantasy 7 was the stunning haymaker punch and Shenmue 3 was the follow up knock out.

Kelsdesu

I don't even need this game to look all that much better. Just make it massive and tell the story you were going to tell. This is one of those cases where story/length > graphics.

Plans change.

2years for a modern shenmue on that budget?

I'm genuinely worried, as a patient fan, who did back (physical pc). He ought to clarify if it is or isn't going to be with a similar scope to 1 and 2.

Otherwise I'd just prefer a really good graphic novel.
There are a few factors to consider. It's getting the "full backing" of Playstation as stated by Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes, they're using Unreal Engine 4 which has practically seen a renaissance in Japanese studios using it and streamlining development, and the story's already written out, no need to 'create' the story.

With all that said, Suzuki has reiterated it will be the 'full' Shenmue experience we've 'dreamed of'. It'll be big in scope, especially now that Sony is fully supporting it. Anyway, I doubt it'll be ready by December 2017, so I'm not worried at all.

Skyzard

Banned
There are a few factors to consider. It's getting the "full backing" of Playstation as stated by Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes, they're using Unreal Engine 4 which has practically seen a renaissance in Japanese studios using it and streamlining development, and the story's already written out, no need to 'create' the story.

With all that said, Suzuki has reiterated it will be the 'full' Shenmue experience we've 'dreamed of'. It'll be big in scope, especially now that Sony is fully supporting it. Anyway, I doubt it'll be ready by December 2017, so I'm not worried at all.

Maybe he trusts Sony too much because full backing wouldn't need kickstarter and stretch goals and sega could have done it or took part.

I hope I'm just worried for nothing like usual.

Unreal Engine 4 is such an awesome engine, it's great that all these devs don't have to waste time/money worrying about the engine, and just worry about making the assets themselves.

Stretch goal for arcade games? Fucking yes. Once that stretch goal is added pledges will speed up again. Calling it now.

Also was this posted from the Kickstarter Update #3?

Throughout the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign, we will have a whole carnival of everything that is Shenmue to celebrate this occasion. Exclusive interviews, game and development info, polls, and lots more! (Can’t spoil all the surprises, can we?)

So we should get some elaboration from the team throughout the duration of the campaign. At a guess Sony is probably kicking in sufficient money to make this a decent sized game that should theoretically equal Yu Suzuki's scope and ambition for the project. I wish we knew for absolute definite but with a successful Kickstarter in the ~5 million range and additional confirmed funding (and development assistance) from Sony I'd say we should be confident we're getting the real Shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki intended.

My impression was that everything shown thus far is just concept footage that was generated prior to actual game development starting. The final product should be close to Shenmue 1 and 2 in terms of visuals and scope I would have thought. Unreal Engine 4 has me excited because it should mean the game is a graphical powerhouse in the spirit of the originals.

Also for those curious Yu Suzuki has reiterated many times over the years that his plan for Shenmue 3 evolved from the initial design in to compressing the remaining chapters of the series in to just one final and conclusive game so Shenmue 3 should theoretically be finishing the story. Presuming this is still his intention and plan.

Highly doubt Shenmue is going to be rebooted as a series. Shenmue 3 should therefore be conclusive.

Yeah, fully expecting this to go past 2017 and I'm fully okay with that. Yu and his team can take as long as they want. I just want him to present the story the best he can and I'll wait as long as it takes for that. Probably expecting to see them release the trial by December 2017 though, something in the form of "What's Shenmue" style demo they released in the place of the original planned Shenmue release date back in 1999.

Skyzard

Banned
Neat. At this point you're ignoring everything directly refuting what you believe.

I dunno what to believe.

Stretch goal for arcade games? Fucking yes. Once that stretch goal is added pledges will speed up again. Calling it now.

Also was this posted from the Kickstarter Update #3?

So we should get some elaboration from the team throughout the duration of the campaign. At a guess Sony is probably kicking in sufficient money to make this a decent sized game that should theoretically equal Yu Suzuki's scope and ambition for the project. I wish we knew for absolute definite but with a successful Kickstarter in the ~5 million range and additional confirmed funding (and development assistance) from Sony I'd say we should be confident we're getting the real Shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki intended.

My impression was that everything shown thus far is just concept footage that was generated prior to actual game development starting. The final product should be close to Shenmue 1 and 2 in terms of visuals and scope I would have thought. Unreal Engine 4 has me excited because it should mean the game is a graphical powerhouse in the spirit of the originals.

Also for those curious Yu Suzuki has reiterated many times over the years that his plan for Shenmue 3 evolved from the initial design in to compressing the remaining chapters of the series in to just one final and conclusive game so Shenmue 3 should theoretically be finishing the story. Presuming this is still his intention and plan.

Highly doubt Shenmue is going to be rebooted as a series. Shenmue 3 should therefore be conclusive.

He mentioned ongoing story like 3 was just another part.

New adventure, first part takes place here.

I think after the Sony guy stated in the interview that they are funding the project, it affected the kickstarter campaign and made many people not funding the game after it reached 2 million milestone.

Krejlooc

Banned

This isnt true, the exact opposite in fact. Yu suzuki has consistently maintained he wont compromise and the story is already set.

From his latest interview on the subject, just 6 months ago:

Q: Budget and money are the main problems... If you ever reach your goal and gather enough money to create Shenmue III, do you think that you will be able to conclude the story? Knowing that Shenmue's story is very deep and seems to be far away from its conclusion

Yu Suzuki : Yes indeed, the story is far away from being completed and to be honest, I do not think that it's possible to end it during Shenmue III. If I had to do it my way, players would experience the ending during Shenmue V. But that seems to be a lot so I'm going to try to finish it within the next 2 games.

Skyzard

Banned
I think after the Sony guy stated in the interview that they are funding the project, it affected the kickstarter campaign and made many people not funding the game after it reached 2 million milestone.

I think he hints too subtly that 2 million is not enough.

You get the full-on shenmue experience if you choose to make it.

He should add something to clarify that more. The extra villages... people might just be like yeah so wat, or aren't Sony paying for that?

Krejlooc

Banned

It has raised almost a million dollars since the interview. It has "slowed down" from several hundreds of thousands per hour, to several thousands per hour, making it still the most active kickstarter on the site.

You're seeing confirmation bias.

MaxiLive

I really hope 3 ends it. He's got his chance, finish the story.

Could you imagine if we were left waiting for a 4...

Ha! I'm sure this will end with Shenmue 3 even if the possibility of 4 arises due to good sale expectations etc. Then Shenmue 4 will be Ryo returning to Japan to figure out what the dealio is with the mirrors as he is so far invested it is beyond avenging his fathers death.

Randomizer

Lol indie? With that budget and Sony's involvement? People are going to surprised when they show this next, Sony's involvement will really show.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This isnt true, the exact opposite in fact. Yu suzuki has consistently maintained he wont compromise and the story is already set.

From his latest interview on the subject, just 6 months ago:

After another 14 years of craziness we'll get to kickstart Shenmue 4 then.

In seriousness, I hope that the game will be successful enough to warrant sequels made by the by then hopefully established team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom