• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he hints too subtly that 2 million is not enough.

You get the full-on shenmue experience if you choose to make it.

He should add something to clarify that more. The extra villages... people might just be like yeah so wat, or aren't Sony paying for that?

I agree, Yu or someone should clarify the current situation.

Skyzard

Banned
^ still needs way more than kickstarter for a full thing but maybe not a "modern" version...but hopefully they triple it or something. Okay UE4 and story help...what about the soundtrack and actors and intricate world details that make the game special...he started detailing the game after the initial intro in the kickstarter with a very specific mechanic about technique scrolls and didn't say much more about it in that regard...

Do Sony allow episodic titles to have retail releases when it isn't a complete season? Or is it just about finance...because if they charge for it on kickstarter as a tier what's the harm...unless they would still make less than they would digitally if they make a console retail title and charge $60.

According to the interview, Cédric Biscay and his company Shibuya Productions, are deeply involved. They fund the PC version, and they will promote the game

There is a page about Shenmue 3 on the company website : http://www.shibuya-productions.com/fr/projets.html#shenmue-iii

So it's not just Sony

Nice..

This isnt true, the exact opposite in fact. Yu suzuki has consistently maintained he wont compromise and the story is already set.

From his latest interview on the subject, just 6 months ago:

Q: Budget and money are the main problems... If you ever reach your goal and gather enough money to create Shenmue III, do you think that you will be able to conclude the story? Knowing that Shenmue's story is very deep and seems to be far away from its conclusion

Yu Suzuki : Yes indeed, the story is far away from being completed and to be honest, I do not think that it's possible to end it during Shenmue III. If I had to do it my way, players would experience the ending during Shenmue V. But that seems to be a lot so I'm going to try to finish it within the next 2 games.

Ah right. This does sound like a different and revised version of the plan I read in his interviews many moons ago. Looks like his intention has evolved once again in his mind. So perhaps with Sony backing Shenmue 3 he intends to continue the saga and simply reignite his original plan for the series back on the Dreamcast? Even with these alterations compressing the chapters down from several games (as was the original plan on the Dreamcast) to just two or three games it sounds like he intends to create Shenmue 3 and 4 at the bare minimum.

I guess the dreamlike scenario is that Shenmue 3 is successful enough that the series continues in more games. I'd love that personally. Just not entirely confident enough that it will happen.

Aki-at

For all the ridcule SEGA gets

I now consider them the Best Company in the world just based of this

It's like people overlook how generous SEGA is to it's ex-employees:

- Let Yu Suzuki make a few more games after Shenmue. Then help funded Ys.Net (I think?) and gave him the Shenmue license for Shenmue City.
- Gave Yuji Naka funding for his new studio and published his first game.
- Gave Tetsuya Mizuguchi the license for Rez so he could put it to 360 last generation.

Following their history and support of their ex-developers I very much thought some more assets would come available but to hear arcade games (And I presume its SEGA arcade games) would be available makes me excited. Hopefully that means we might get some SEGA capsules toys too :p

Ty4on

Seriously.... I can't stop watching this.
I just wanna hug him there. So happy for him :)
I watched it live and that was on my mind and the chat kept spamming it until Bosman finally gave him a hug.

I muted them when the announcement happened (they were five seconds ahead and i wanted to discover what it was for myself, but i could still see how emotional he was when I think he kept shaking. You could really see how much this meant for him.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't see it going over $6 million. This will be an extremely front loaded kickstarter as most of the Shenmue fans were ready at the drop of a hat to get on it.

Unless the media really picks it up and goes with it. But they'll keep saying it's already reached the goal and more.

Hopefully they add more soon and describe a potential price increase, some possible plans to recap the story somehow or port the old ones...

What are the chances of Sega rereleasing the first two games ? It's almost impossible to play them right now. If Sega and Sony want to make sure the most people possible play Shenmue 3, they could rerelease the first two games on PS4 or PC.

IrishNinja

....fuck

It's like people overlook how generous SEGA is to it's ex-employees:

- Let Yu Suzuki make a few more games after Shenmue. Then help funded Ys.Net (I think?) and gave him the Shenmue license for Shenmue City.
- Gave Yuji Naka funding for his new studio and published his first game.
- Gave Tetsuya Mizuguchi the license for Rez so he could put it to 360 last generation.

Following their history and support of their ex-developers I very much thought some more assets would come available but to hear arcade games (And I presume its SEGA arcade games) would be available makes me excited. Hopefully that means we might get some SEGA capsules toys too :p

this is an underrated post right here, too

Fuck this noise

+1 all day

MedIC86

What are the chances of Sega rereleasing the first two games ? It's almost impossible to play them right now. If Sega and Sony want to make sure the most people possible play Shenmue 3, they could rerelease the first two games on PS4 or PC.

Its not sure at this point, maybe since they see there is more interest in the game then they thought so they might remake 1 or 2 (or hand the license to someone to do it)

Mendax

I'm sure sony ys and sega are talking about that right now

Theonik

There have been rewrites to fit everything into Shenmue 3, back when it was still somehow considered a possibility that the game could be made.
According to Yu Suzuki, the story ending at 4 is possible rather than the 5-6 that it was planned but unlikely we'll end at 3. But I don't think any fan wants a half-assed ending at 3.
After all if this succeeds there is a chance we'll get a full on revival.

Suzuki also tweeted some reaction videos including the Gametrailers video,
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/611215379239571456
He says he's moved which probably is an understatement.

Xpliskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZSs1X5Okg&list=PLIDrEsuF7oe-Wbhg5F-kNRYTr-5tEs7Ch&index=15

shenmue_bike.jpg

Still cannot believe this ...

Man what a time to be alive

Remember the despair with things like this ?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this noise

I'd rather he make the best game he possibly can and if that means another cliffhanger, so be it.

Yu ain't getting any younger, the fanbase ain't getting younger, it took 14 years and 2 million from fans to get the 3rd one released. Sorry but unless Shenmue 3 comes out and sets the world on fire a 6 part series is never going to happen. If I'm proven wrong you can track me down when we're all like 80 years old and yell at me.

Although. Perhaps he could do it as DLC for Shen 3. Release 3 then do 4,5,6 stories as DLC? Would people be happy with that? Sure it wouldn't be full games but you'd get the full story at least.

Mr. RPG

I'm surprised we haven't got much new information. It's kinda worrying.

You'd think we would get tons of new information now that the Kickstarter is out there and has already reached its goal, but we really haven't gotten anything.

Mr. RPG

According to Yu Suzuki, the story ending at 4 is possible rather than the 5-6 that it was planned but unlikely we'll end at 3. But I don't think any fan wants a half-assed ending at 3.
After all if this succeeds there is a chance we'll get a full on revival.

Source on that? I've never heard Yu Suzuki suggesting the story could end with IV.

You can't make a console game with $2 Million

Yes you can, but not with Shenmue. :p

Kunai

Humm according to Shibuya Press Release:

Producer and Director: Yu Suzuki
Co-producer: Cédric Biscay
Creative Director: Tak Hirai
Main Scenario Writer: Masahiro Yoshimoto
Main Character Design: Kenji Miyawaki
Planning and Development: Ys Net Inc
Licenced by: SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Production & Promotion : Shibuya Productions
Development: Neilo Inc
Kickstarter Project Support : Awesome
Japan, Inc
Promotional Video Director : Kenji Itoso
Copyrights : Original Game©SEGA ©Ys Ne

http://neilo.co.jp/products/

There's no reason to give up on Shenmue 4+, odds are better than they've been for the last 14 years.

But it is contingent on a lot of things. Hopefully 3 does fantastically, both during its fund raising campaign and after release.

Putting that aside, I don't understand why Sony pledging money for this is perceived as a bad thing. The larger the budget, the better (within reason, but it will be) It's not like Sony will take away money if the kickstarter is too successful...

MedIC86

Maybe Shenmue 3 will be such a big success that Shenmue 4-6 because no-brainers.

Would be nice, but i'd rather have shenmue 3 finish the story just to be sure.

I hope we will see some early gameplay next e3, does anyone who has more insight in game devving know that when using something like a premade engine (U4) in this case speeds up the development process? or is that a little part in the whole dev thing.

Gunsmithx

Fuck this noise

Man I would love to see this series go to Shenmue V, it would be a dream, but I do worry about trying to extend the series past 3, we waited 14 years to get to this point and the thought of getting 3 and something, anything hapenning pushing 4 back(possibly forever) worries the crap out of me. On the other hand I also don't want to see the story compromised, I"m torn on this but then I also thought we'd only get the rest of the story when he posted it on a blog in like 10 years.

A ton of early access games can make open world DayZ simulators in a short period with a small team. Shenmue 1 & 2 at this scope should not be taking that long nor that expensive to make. Assuming Shenmue 3 had the same scope as what it was intended for DC back then, Yu Suzuki would no longer be hampered by the constraints and whatnot and if everything I hear about UE4 is true and all, I can fully expect the game to be released by early 2017 if not late summer.

Haha, yeah, watching their FF7remake reaction to this was just pure childhood levels of gaming enthusiasm.

I loved how Sony put a indie game montage for a breather, but it was only for a few minutes, and they were clearly still on that FF7 high, just settingly down, and then boom. Final Fantasy 7 was the stunning haymaker punch and Shenmue 3 was the follow up knock out.

I watched it live and that was on my mind and the chat kept spamming it until Bosman finally gave him a hug.

I muted them when the announcement happened (they were five seconds ahead and i wanted to discover what it was for myself, but i could still see how emotional he was when I think he kept shaking. You could really see how much this meant for him.

So true :) Must have watched it over 30 times already. FFVII remake was my "Huber/Shenmue 3" moment. So I know how he felt. Damn, would bro-hug him for sure.
E3 conference for the ages!

lachesis

Well, to be honest I think the game would fail to reach out to the new generation gamers, but only to the existing fan base - which, bulk of them already funded the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the game sales after the release is dismal.

I'll be funding the game in coming days - still debating which level because I don't really care about the goodies but I do care about the game itself... and I am happy to see at least the satisfactory ending of the series. (If it's indeed the end - but I recall reading somewhere that the story comes to an satisfactory ending around chapter 10 out of 16)...

Skyzard

Banned
So true :) Must have watched it over 30 times already. FFVII remake was my "Huber/Shenmue 3" moment. So I know how he felt. Damn, would bro-hug him for sure.
E3 conference for the ages!

FFVII remake might not even be a full remake as much as just another game in that world, they said what's the point of having two games with the same thing since they invested recently in the ff7 port -.- and of course the costs involved in a full remake probably.

gb were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom