• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

My questions I'd like to ask

Are Shenmue 1 & 2 HD rereleases being discussed in earnest with Sega yet?
Do you plan to try to modernize/refine shenmue gameplay, while retaining similar feel
Will the character models be closer to the originals or the passport models?
Can the game be as big as the previous Shenmues? Or is it being scaled down to the budget
(or) How close to the original vision will the game stick to?
Will more of the original composers be back for 3?
How excited are you to be returning to Shenmue?

celsowmbr

Banned
Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
-

Feel free to add your own. I want to make sure all the right questions get asked and not just the same old stuff.

Will the game have Sega's capsule toys?

jay

Questions for Yu

Who from the old team is working on this game?
Will the Japanese voices be available in the NA release?
What can you tell me about the four wude?

Zach

Really, the two things I want to know are: 1) will Shenmue III wrap up the series? And 2) will there be -- whether through Kickstarter or just at release -- a PS4 physical release?

Rymuth

Are you talking about the ones I made?

$60 - Physical PS4
$100 - Limited Edition Physical PS4 w/ Backer Exclusive Case
$800 - Exclusive Nozomi, Ren, Joy and Lan Di capsule toys + kitten in box plushie
$1000 - High Quality Ryo Hazuki Jacket Replica
$1500 - High Quality Phoenix Mirror Replica w/ name engraving / backer number on back
$2000 - Help design a custom in-game jacket / item of clothing Ryo can wear
$2500 - Help design & create a unique capsule toy that can be won in-game
$3000 - As above only we will send you a fully 3D model replica of your capsule toy
$4000 - Help design & name an in-game NPC in collaboration with Ys Net
$5000 - Voice an in-game NPC that will be fully integrated in the world who Ryo can talk to

Might be worth asking but not sure how in charge of the tiers he is. Might just email these to via the kickstarter contact page for fun, hahaha.
This is good.

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
-

Feel free to add your own. I want to make sure all the right questions get asked and not just the same old stuff.

Since UE4 is multiplatform, are Neilo and Ys Net investigating the feasibility of a Linux and Mac build?

J2 Cool

My questions I'd like to ask

Are Shenmue 1 & 2 HD rereleases being discussed in earnest with Sega yet?
Do you plan to try to modernize/refine shenmue gameplay, while retaining similar feel
Will the character models be closer to the originals or the passport models?
Can the game be as big as the previous Shenmues? Or is it being scaled down to the budget
(or) How close to the original vision will the game stick to?
Will more of the original composers be back for 3?
How excited are you to be returning to Shenmue?

Anyone know how I go about asking these? And if anyone thinks one of them's stupid to try to get asked, let me know. Want to get the most out of this thing.

So since 14:00 (BST) I've been doing an hourly update of where the total stands and working out the changes. I thought people might be interested in a 6 hour update.

14:00 3,165,501
15:00 3,172,746 up 7245
16:00 3,181,371 up 8625
17:00 3,196,740 up 15369
18:00 3,201,652 up 4912
19:00 3,200,059 down 1593
20:00 3,204,317 up 4258

epmode

They haven't even confirmed that this will be a Steam or GOG release? Yikes. I've pledged for a decent amount but I might drop it by the end if they don't say anything.

mattp

They haven't even confirmed that this will be a Steam or GOG release? Yikes. I've pledged for a decent amount but I might drop it by the end if they don't say anything.

its coming out on pc. youd drop your pledge just because its not on steam? that seems silly

also, coming out on pc probably means steam, anyway

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
As a suggestion, when asking for the physical PS4 release, maybe linking to the poll would be a good idea to put things into perspective? I mean, just in case they aren't reading the comments.

DEATH_INC

Neo Member
its coming out on pc. youd drop your pledge just because its not on steam? that seems silly

also, coming out on pc probably means steam, anyway

Indeed. There are far more Niche indie games that get steam releases, I'm sure there will be one, they just haven't ironed everything out yet. The game is still 2+ years away.

c7bb4be1f91618a598d0549982695bc5b4034616.png

Found this on GOG forum, since a user asked if a DRM free version was possible.
At the moment, there are no plan, but it's unknown if the game will come with a Steam key.

What if they use Digital River or something like that?

I really want the physical version but I feel they still have to give us more details about what the plan is (DRM-Free, Steam Key, etc.).

Hope they give us an answer before the Kickstarter ends.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

All of Sega's PC games go through Steam today, I don't see any reason to believe Shenmue III will go anywhere else. Honestly I don't care how they get it to me, I just want to play it, but if I had to choose I'd want it on Steam.

_Ryo_

AMA question: Regardless of stretch goals what is the minimum number of locations that will for sure be in the game?

Re: Physical PS4 release

Do you guys want a disc or would you be satisfied with the option for a box with a download code like we're probably getting on PC? If it's the latter, perhaps this AMA/the comment section, would be a good place to seed that idea.

mattp

looks like there's a lot of posts on shenmuedojo complaining about the kickstarter campaign, too

what are the chances any concerns we bring up on the reddit ama will actually be heard?
does anyone know who is actually running the campaign that we could try and get in contact with?

emb

Re: Physical PS4 release

Do you guys want a disc or would you be satisfied with the option for a box with a download code like we're probably getting on PC? If it's the latter, perhaps this AMA/the comment section, would be a good place to seed that idea.
Personally, a box with a download code misses half the point. I want a game disc, just like Shenmue I and II that I can keep playing, even if I lose Internet access and have to get a new console.

MaxiLive

Guyz Shenmue III is happening :D

I still have random point since the announcement when I question reality... Is this happening?! Why yes, yes it! With the legendary Yu Suzuki no doubt!

J2 Cool

I'd be quite happy with the CG models used in the Shenmue Online trailer, if it's possible.

I think the modeling in the original is so superb, even more than that trailer, which is a little muddy. The shapes and features are so defined in the originals, even if theyre better lit or less weird limb attachment. I know some have stated "temp models" but the Lan Di on the kickstarter page had no reason to have a temp model dropped in really and that one looks terribly odd. Just hoping theyre rough sketches/placeholders. Also hope the color and art design in general is the spiritual successor to the first two. It wasnt really a color filter, but they controlled the color script really well in the original. From completely gray days, to dark dojos, to glowing sunsets. The trailers environment is cool though, but certainly isnt there yet, to the shenmue world we know.

And to a certain extent it all doesn't matter, we're getting Shenmue III and Yu's at the helm.

Jinkies

Ys Net has years to figure out distribution.

It will release on Steam.

Also, people criticizing any work they've seen so far need to come to terms with the concept of crowdfunding.

I suppose I'm more experienced, as an early backer of Star Citizen, but you simply shouldn't judge what you're seeing until the developer asks you to. It's useless to do so.

epmode

All of Sega's PC games go through Steam today

It's not a Sega game.

I agree that it's likely to get a Steam release. I'd also be happy with GOG. It's just strange that such a high profile Kickstarter doesn't even mention the distribution platform in the campaign page.

mattp

also, does anyone else think it's kind of lame that sega is total radio silence on this?
like, not even a tweet about it?

Skyzard

Banned
All of Sega's PC games go through Steam today, I don't see any reason to believe Shenmue III will go anywhere else. Honestly I don't care how they get it to me, I just want to play it, but if I had to choose I'd want it on Steam.

Steam takes 30% right, they said that's their standard. I wonder if GOG takes less...I know being on steam itself generates sales but you know what people are like at first.

Don't really mind but I hope the physical version isn't just a code in a box :p

epmode

Steam takes 30% right, they said that's their standard. I wonder if GOG takes less...

GOG also takes 30. It's the standard industry cut. The only place I know of that takes less is the Humble store.

edit: If this goes up on Steam, Valve gets $0 from Kickstarter backers.

They need badly better tiers above 29 dollars.

I want a physical release. I don't want it on PC. Money thrown away.

How many of the people who backed ps4 digital would upgrade.
Bloodstained's kickstarter has a lot of lessons the should apply.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I see this raising > 10m easily by the time the kick starter has finished. Amazing really.

Skyzard

Banned
GOG also takes 30. It's the standard industry cut. The only place I know of that takes less is the Humble store.

edit: If this goes up on Steam, Valve gets $0 from Kickstarter backers.

That's good at least.

Gog and Steam get 30%, while Humble should get 5%. But usually Humble provides both DRM and Steam key, so the game should be on Steam. It would be stupid avoid Steam, expecially considered they told they have no plans for a DRM free solution.

Right thanks, sounds good :)

Hopefully they don't find some shady dealer :p

I see this raising > 10m easily by the time the kick starter has finished. Amazing really.

Ran some quick calculations earlier using Kicktraq and the figure I ended up with was 9 million. A last minute surge at the end of the campaign could surpass that estimation. This campaign and movement has been beyond successful and for that I am immensely glad and thankful.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ugh, no ps4 physical and no drm-free pc physical option kind of make me really apprehensive about spending so much. this really has to change.

Theonik

It's not a Sega game.

I agree that it's likely to get a Steam release. I'd also be happy with GOG. It's just strange that such a high profile Kickstarter doesn't even mention the distribution platform in the campaign page.
It is a tragically strange Kickstarter in general. It seems like they chose some of the worst people possible to run this campaign and to do the PC version.

mattp

Yes but I've had years to get used to Sega being lame.

it's just so weird
it seems like sega has basically just given him the ip to use. which makes you think they're relatively supportive of him, or at least respect him a lot and are doing it almost as a favor

and yet, they aren't even acknowledging it

It is a tragically strange Kickstarter in general. It seems like they chose some of the worst people possible to run this campaign and to do the PC version.

Agreed :( At first I didn't have any issues because I was in the "puppy dog" phase and everything was perfect (because Shenmue 3!!!!), but now, even just a few days later, my seriousness has returned as I want nothing but the most success for this project.

I'm just so thankful that after the campaign is done, the (small) team that is put together are mostly Shenmue veterans. I'm not too worried about who gets hired to work on it since they will be led by these individuals.

Theonik

Well, if the games will go on Steam, basically ALL backers keys should be free to provide for Ys/Suzuki, since when you put your game on Steam, you can provide as many Steam keys as you want, for free.
So the 30% cut will be applied ONLY to NEW purchasers on Steam and all retailers they decide to use. It would be all profit, even with the cut.
Yes. It would literally make 0 sense to not put it on Steam. If they end up setting a DL server of their own I will cry.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's not a Sega game.

It's still a Sega owned property though, no matter who develops or pays for it.

Unfortunately we will all just have to wait to find out, lol.

As far as the Steam/GOG/etc. questions go, I'm not worried about getting answers to that. If the project was less than a year away or so, I'd want that to be set in stone, but they have lots of time to decide upon that and make the necessary deals.

In a sense, I'm glad that the serious effort right now seems to be solely on the game itself, even though, of course, the distribution methods will be equally as important down the line.

BTW: Sounds like the Dojo is really on board with our questions for the AMA. I mostly lurk there, but what a great place (they have, after all, kept the spirit alive for these many, many years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom