• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

its coming out on pc. youd drop your pledge just because its not on steam? that seems silly

also, coming out on pc probably means steam, anyway
I don't care who they use as long as it's not Digital fucking River.

"Pay us more money if you want to redownload the game you paid for again after 30 days, and even then, you get 2 years and then fuck you, your game can't be downloaded again."

Aki-at

it's just so weird
it seems like sega has basically just given him the ip to use. which makes you think they're relatively supportive of him, or at least respect him a lot and are doing it almost as a favor

and yet, they aren't even acknowledging it

This is the same company that forgets to market it's own games :p

I did find that a bit strange though. Their community team is definitely going to be happy that all their articles first comments won't be "Where's Shenmue 3?" now.

Varion

Can Japan GAF summarize some of the highlights?

Should probably have spent the last few hours working instead of doing this considering I don't doubt someone else will do a translation of the full thing in short order, but oh well.

- He noticed that fans were getting more and more despondent about the chances of a Shenmue 3 ever coming out, and being willing to settle for just about any format (novel, manga etc.) just to see the conclusion of the story, but he really wanted to make the sequel as a game even if it didn't have all the bells and whistles he'd like to put in it.
- He first learned about Kickstarter about 3 years ago through a fan who'd used it before, although it took a while before he decided that was really the way to go forward. Tried looking for a major company to partner with, but couldn't find one that met his criteria. Eventually, he decided Kickstarter was the best option.
- Sega readily allowed him to make the game, and SCE gave their support too (nothing specific here).
- It'll be out on PS4 and PC. No mention of other platforms, no mention of considering any other platforms.
- 2 million is the bare minimum for the game to exist, and if that was all they got, it would just be focused on the story. The more money it gets, the more of the things he wants to do will be possible.
- He wants to give the fans what they want as much as possible, asking for their opinions during development and incorporating those into the final game. Like if they have two ideas for a character, they might ask backers to vote on which they prefer.
- As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.
- The story will take place in Guilin, beginning immediately after 2's end. You'll be able to go around the town(s) in that area, back to the mountains, infiltrate the Chi You Men's Guilin branch, etc.
- Back when he made Shenmue 2, he was determined that Shenmue 3's focus would be making a deeper open world rather than a bigger one. Fewer characters means they can have more to say, they can have more complex AI, etc. The character Ryo will talk to the most in 3 is Shenhua, so he wants to develop her as much as possible, making it so that talking to her lots makes her behaviour towards him change, makes quests involving her proceed differently, etc.
- Not that any of this is to say it won't be an open world game. Stretch goals will determine how much the town(s) can be expanded (presumably this is referring to stretch goals like those we can already see, the 'other towns' in that video aren't addressed here.)
- QTEs were originally designed so that people who weren't very good at battles could still enjoy the game.
- He wants to make 'free battles' (which are likely to have their name changed) less about pressing buttons at the right time and more about making the right decisions.
- He also wants to make them less about practising and inputting commands and more centred around the Technique Scrolls, so obtaining and using those is enough to win battles. These Technique Scrolls will ideally connect a number of different elements in the game together in a natural way.
"Shenmue had a number of minigames, gambling spots etc. that you could spend time playing around in, but I wanted something that would connect all of them somehow. I mean, obviously you can obtain money through part-time jobs, use that in gambling to get more of it and then buy weapons...but not that kind of connection, a closer one. If we can meet a number of our stretch goals and make the open world elements more elaborate, I'm hoping to be able to connect these side elements together, centred around the scrolls.
- He's desperately trying to find some way to include forklifts in the game in a way that will make sense, because Shenmue fans seem to love them.
- He wanted to gather as many of the people who worked on the earlier games as possible because it'd be reassuring to fans. They're planning to publish staff comments from a number of figures working on the game, including the writer Masahiro Yoshimoto.
- He's asked about whether he has an idea in his head about what'll come after Shenmue 3's done (presumably 4, but it doesn't come out and say this). He says he does, but right now he's focused on working on Shenmue 3. Certainly doesn't sound like this game will be 'it' at any rate.
- As the Kickstarter page says, he's hoping the game will be ready to release at the end of 2017.

benzy

Wanna ask if they plan on bringing back a dynamic day to night cycle and weather system. It added so much to the atmosphere of a live world of Shenmue.

The way it's worded makes me think we'll get a physical PS4 copy somehow, somewhere.

"The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network."
It specifies the Shenmue 3 "Kickstarter" so I'm thinking after this is all over and it's deep in development, Sony will foot the bill for printing discs itself rather than through KS.

epmode

I don't care who they use as long as it's not Digital fucking River.

"Pay us more money if you want to redownload the game you paid for again after 30 days, and even then, you get 2 years and then fuck you, your game can't be downloaded again."

This is the worst possible option. I'd even prefer a straight HTTP download.

I hope they say something before the end!

mattp

only point in there that's kind of a bummer is that he wants to make the fighting less complicated. one of the main things i always wanted them to do was making it even more like virtua fighter

only point in there that's kind of a bummer is that he wants to make the fighting less complicated. one of the main things i always wanted them to do was making it even more like virtua fighter

Maybe an expert mode with more complex combat could be put up as a stretch goal.

Erevador

Should probably have spent the last few hours working instead of doing this considering I don't doubt someone else will do a translation of the full thing in short order, but oh well.

- He noticed that fans were getting more and more despondent about the chances of a Shenmue 3 ever coming out, and being willing to settle for just about any format (novel, manga etc.) just to see the conclusion of the story, but he really wanted to make the sequel as a game even if it didn't have all the bells and whistles he'd like to put in it.
- He first learned about Kickstarter about 3 years ago through a fan who'd used it before, although it took a while before he decided that was really the way to go forward. Tried looking for a major company to partner with, but couldn't find one that met his criteria. Eventually, he decided Kickstarter was the best option.
- Sega readily allowed him to make the game, and SCE gave their support too (nothing specific here).
- It'll be out on PS4 and PC. No mention of other platforms, no mention of considering any other platforms.
- 2 million is the bare minimum for the game to exist, and if that was all they got, it would just be focused on the story. The more money it gets, the more of the things he wants to do will be possible.
- He wants to give the fans what they want as much as possible, asking for their opinions during development and incorporating those into the final game. Like if they have two ideas for a character, they might ask backers to vote on which they prefer.
- As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.
- The story will take place in Guilin, beginning immediately after 2's end. You'll be able to go around the town(s) in that area, back to the mountains, infiltrate the Chi You Men's Guilin branch, etc.
- Back when he made Shenmue 2, he was determined that Shenmue 3's focus would be making a deeper open world rather than a bigger one. Fewer characters means they can have more to say, they can have more complex AI, etc. The character Ryo will talk to the most in 3 is Shenhua, so he wants to develop her as much as possible, making it so that talking to her lots makes her behaviour towards him change, makes quests involving her proceed differently, etc.
- Not that any of this is to say it won't be an open world game. Stretch goals will determine how much the town(s) can be expanded (presumably this is referring to stretch goals like those we can already see, the 'other towns' in that video aren't addressed here.)
- QTEs were originally designed so that people who weren't very good at battles could still enjoy the game.
- He wants to make 'free battles' (which are likely to have their name changed) less about pressing buttons at the right time and more about making the right decisions.
- He also wants to make them less about practising and inputting commands and more centred around the Technique Scrolls, so obtaining and using those is enough to win battles. These Technique Scrolls will ideally connect a number of different elements in the game together in a natural way.
"Shenmue had a number of minigames, gambling spots etc. that you could spend time playing around in, but I wanted something that would connect all of them somehow. I mean, obviously you can obtain money through part-time jobs, use that in gambling to get more of it and then buy weapons...but not that kind of connection, a closer one. If we can meet a number of our stretch goals and make the open world elements more elaborate, I'm hoping to be able to connect these side elements together, centred around the scrolls.
- He's desperately trying to find some way to include forklifts in the game in a way that will make sense, because Shenmue fans seem to love them.
- He wanted to gather as many of the people who worked on the earlier games as possible because it'd be reassuring to fans. They're planning to publish staff comments from a number of figures working on the game, including the writer Masahiro Yoshimoto.
- He's asked about whether he has an idea in his head about what'll come after Shenmue 3's done (presumably 4, but it doesn't come out and say this). He says he does, but right now he's focused on working on Shenmue 3. Certainly doesn't sound like this game will be 'it' at any rate.
- As the Kickstarter page says, he's hoping the game will be ready to release at the end of 2017.
Really interesting and helpful. Thank you so much for putting in the time to translating this.

Hixx

"- He's desperately trying to find some way to include forklifts in the game in a way that will make sense, because Shenmue fans seem to love them. "

What a guy <3

Nope, it will just be "Where's Shenmue 1 + 2 HD?" now. As it should be lol!

Thats the million dollar question. If this kickstarter continues to do well I am sure that conversation comes up at Sega.

One big potential problem is if the game assets still exist. Did Sega archive it? Is a remaster even possible?

IrishNinja

Re: Physical PS4 release

Do you guys want a disc or would you be satisfied with the option for a box with a download code like we're probably getting on PC? If it's the latter, perhaps this AMA/the comment section, would be a good place to seed that idea.

god knows id vastly prefer a disc, but given the risks/cost here i can totally see why that might not be feasible down the road

The way it's worded makes me think we'll get a physical PS4 copy somehow, somewhere.

It specifies the Shenmue 3 "Kickstarter" so I'm thinking after this is all over and it's deep in development, Sony will foot the bill for printing discs itself rather than through KS.

ah, hadn't caught that bit...

"- He's desperately trying to find some way to include forklifts in the game in a way that will make sense, because Shenmue fans seem to love them. "

What a guy <3

ahaha, fantastic

Aki-at

Something I should point out is that SEGA is awfully slow these days so even if there's a good idea it might take them a while to get to speed. The Valkyria Chronicles PC port for example was in development before the SEGA PC port campaign started so that'd have been what, a 9 month development time frame?

If that rumour is true about the ports and Shenmue 1+2 HD are complete we should get it soon.

Thats the million dollar question. If this kickstarter continues to do well I am sure that conversation comes up at Sega.

One big potential problem is if the game assets still exist. Did Sega archive it? Is a remaster even possible?

Funny thing is that they are apparently 100% done! A combination of possible license issues, and the "lack" of profit from Sonic Adventure HD and Jet Set Radio HD caused Shenmue 1/2 and Skies of Arcadia HD to be shelved :(

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
a game we waited for for ages that of legendary status and people are funding a kickstarter we deserve a physical release to hold this piece of history

jcjimher

I thought these deserved highlighting. Specially for all these people with negativity or doubts about the Sony funding. Keep pledging guys!

(And thanks Varion for taking the time)

I thought these deserved highlighting. Specially for all these people with negativity or doubts about the Sony funding. Keep pledging guys!

(And thanks Varion for taking the time)

Exactly. Should be posted in those other threads every time someone makes a dumb comment.

Theonik

It's still a Sega owned property though, no matter who develops or pays for it.

Unfortunately we will all just have to wait to find out, lol.
When you think about it, it's a miracle the campaign has even made it so far. It's basically running on pure hope and dreams right now. It's kinda poetic. If not slightly sad.

Agreed :( At first I didn't have any issues because I was in the "puppy dog" phase and everything was perfect (because Shenmue 3!!!!), but now, even just a few days later, my seriousness has returned as I want nothing but the most success for this project.

I'm just so thankful that after the campaign is done, the (small) team that is put together are mostly Shenmue veterans. I'm not too worried about who gets hired to work on it since they will be led by these individuals.
I have the utmost trust in Yu Suzuki's creative integrity so I think he'll do the most with what he ends up being given but like you said I am really concerned about the future of the campaign. I won't lie and say I wouldn't be disappointed if we get anything less than the real Shenmue experience, but I will not drop my pledge unless some serious red flags are raised since the only way this is happening is if fans like us which are privileged enough to be able to vote with their wallets do so. I just wish there was something more I could do…

Wanna ask if they plan on bringing back a dynamic day to night cycle and weather system. It added so much to the atmosphere of a live world of Shenmue.
That's a good one for that ama, but honestly that would probably be a goal and if not, it's quite easy to do in Unreal 4. A lot of the things they pioneered in Shenmue I+II would not become commonplace until last gen but now, are the kinds of things that are touted and included as standard in most higher end game engines.

Fuck...

jcjimher

My admiration for Yu Suzuki is increasing a lot with the events that have been unfolding since 2 days ago.

For most of his career he was allowed the biggest funds and projects. Like those first full sized Hang-on arcade machines. Or the super-expensive Model 1 and Model 2 boards made for him by Lockheed Martin in a time where 3d hardware was used only in military and the likes. Or even the original Shenmue project, with almost unlimited budget and time, allowed to aim for the stars with a constraining Saturn or Dreamcast hardware.

And then he lost all that, and instead of simply retiring he has been looking for solutions for nothing less than 14 years. And finally he ie being humble enough for crafting money-saving and scalable planning, leading a team of unexperienced developers and builiding the game with a third party engine and a scarce budget.

And he is showing more and more that he has new ideas and is as passionate for game development as if Shenmue II had finished last year instead of last decade.

Whatever the final result is of all this story, he has my full respect and recognition!

One thing that amazes me about Yu Suzuki is the broad range of amazing and influential games he was worked on. Here's a guy who worked on legendary arcade style games including highly technical and complex racing and fighting games. One would not expect someone like that to also be able to make an amazing cinematic story focused RPG style game (pretty much the complete opposite type of game), but he did just that. Not only that, he innovated yet again and the game pioneered many of the things that are now commonplace in open world games today (even the concept of an open world game itself was not really a thing when this game came out).

Who else could pull this off? Pretty mind blowing.

Not to downplay the achievement of Shenmue in ANY way but... it makes sense coming from Yu.
The majority of his oeuvre has had an obsession with reality, be it the realistically proportioned motorbike you physically sat on for Hang-On, the cabinet movements that mimicked a jet in After Burner, the real world moves and fighting styles incorporated into Virtua Fighter and so on.
Even something as simple as choosing the music in OutRun has you tuning in a realistic looking radio.
For somebody so committed to replicating reality throughout his career, once the technology made it possible a whole real world seems a somewhat logical ultimate endpoint.
The fact it was achieved so well is testament to his genius of course.

mattp

One thing I dont get is why are people still funding through KS, when Sony are funding it?

the more money they get, the better. people want to support it. people want trinkets or a copy of the game. sony isn't fully funding the game. they are one of multiple investors(on top of the kickstarter money)

edit: i would also be willing to bet, the more money this kickstarter generates, the better chances they have of getting more investment money. maybe one of their deals was that the investment from sony scales with how much they get over the 2million mark or something

Aki-at

One thing I dont get is why are people still funding through KS, when Sony are funding it?

SONY ARE NOT FUNDING IT! ;___;

Sony has only offered "some" funding and marketing. That's it, that's all they're doing. To make Shenmue 3 the best possible game will come down to how much us, the fans, can raise.

(That capslock isn't directed to you, just hope more people would pay attention to what I said!)

Has anyone of the people who actually know shit about Kickstarter campaigns done an estimate how much this will pull in? Is it gonna be severely front loaded? Or is it just too early to tell?

Bashtee

My thoughts exactly.

Posts from Forbes contributors, with headlines like "Should You Still Be Donating To The 'Shenmue 3' Kickstarter?" (probably was "stop donating to the shenmue 3 kickstarter right now", as the link to the article suggests), sure don't help. Same goes for the team managing the kickstarter. The reward tiers are a bit cryptic and it is a shame that I don't get a digital + retail version at 300$ or above.

jcjimher

When you think about it, it's a miracle the campaign has even made it so far. It's basically running on pure hope and dreams right now. It's kinda poetic. If not slightly sad.

Isn't that a bit hyperbole? There are things that could improve surely, but I think the campaign is not running on hopes or dreams, but rather on trust on Yu Suzuki and most of the team he has been able to assemble, composed by experienced people (most of them involved on previous Shenmues) who I think have gained that trust.

And it has also been clearly stated that if the KS gets around 2 million we will get a barebones story-driven Shenmue (which is more than I would have asked for a week ago, honestly): And they have a flexible plan to put more open-world elements in the game depending on how much money they raise from that baseline.

They are working with a 3rd party (and proved) engine, with everything they needed from previous Shenmue development given to them by Sega, and without the pressure of having to push any hardware limits like in the previous games. And all of that explains why now they don't need $47m figures like before.

Looks like a realistic and credible plan to me.

so essentially if I pay $29 (£20) I get a digital copy on PS4 when released? seems a no-brainer...what am I missing?

Well you are taking a gamble that will turn out to be a good game and delivered on time. The alternative is to wait until the game is released, but it will almost certainly be more than $29 at that point so....if you have faith in Yu Suzuki and want to be part of the process of getting this game made then yes, it's a no brainer.

Theonik

Isn't that a bit hyperbole? There are things that could improve surely, but I think the campaign is not running on hopes or dreams, but rather on trust on Yu Suzuki and most of the team he has been able to assemble, composed by experienced people (most of them involved on previous Shenmues) who I think have gained that trust.

And it has also been clearly stated that if the KS gets around 2 million we will get a barebones story-driven Shenmue (which is more than I would have asked for a week ago, honestly): And they have a flexible plan to put more open-world elements in the game depending on how much money they raise from that baseline.

They are working with a 3rd party (and proved) engine, with everything they needed from previous Shenmue development given to them by Sega, and without the pressure of having to push any hardware limits like in the previous games. And all of that explains why now they don't need $47m figures like before.

Looks like a realistic and credible plan to me.
I am talking about the crowdfunding campaign not whether the project has credibility. They are doing a really poor job at selling the game which ultimately harms the game we end up getting. I am not trying to troll, I am just concerned, not because I am as much worried or lack confidence in Yu Suzuki. If that were the case there would be no way I'd even ponder doing this.
I will apologise about the hyperbole though. It's how I roll.

PORTOPIA

Neo Member
My thoughts exactly.

Posts from Forbes contributors, with headlines like "Should You Still Be Donating To The 'Shenmue 3' Kickstarter?" (probably was "stop donating to the shenmue 3 kickstarter right now", as the link to the article suggests), sure don't help. Same goes for the team managing the kickstarter. The reward tiers are a bit cryptic and it is a shame that I don't get a digital + retail version at 300$ or above.

Agreed. It's vital that the importance of the Kickstarter is made clear - if everyone thinks that Sony is going to bankroll the entire game because clearly that is what the game media seems to be stating and if that is not the case - it needs to be cleared up.

Recent interviews with Sony and Suzuki seem to indicate the media is overplaying Sony's hand - either way it'd be nice to know that while the Kickstarter is still open.

batfax

They definitely need to put more oomph into the campaign... something like Bloodstained's social media achievements. Maybe unlock music, artwork, or whatever. Anything to get the word out and the community actively engaged.

PORTOPIA

Neo Member
They definitely need to put more oomph into the campaign... something like Bloodstained's social media achievements. Maybe unlock music, artwork, or whatever. Anything to get the word out and the community actively engaged.

Maybe some social media giveaways such as those Shenmue vinyls from Data Discs. Pretty sure every Shenmue fan wants one of those. The fans could even organize something like this to help.

batfax

Maybe some social media giveaways such as those Shenmue vinyls from Data Discs. Pretty sure every Shenmue fan wants one of those. The fans could even organize something like this to help.

I don't even think giveaways are important here. Just a way to trickle out more details and get the community excited for them and earn them by spreading the word. That said, I do find it weird that the vinyls aren't at least part of the reward tiers. Maybe they could be included if they added more between 500 and 10k.

ajim

I just hope it's an actual signature and not one of those "autographed" copies. 2,000 signatures with more to come is a lot.
I can imagine after 14 year of waiting for this, Suzuki would be fine signing more than 2000 signatures.

I know I would. I'd sign them all damn day!

_Ryo_

Usually I hate product placement in games but this game should definitely include it. Both previous games did and to great use as well.

Also it will help provide further funding.

Par Score

Has anyone of the people who actually know shit about Kickstarter campaigns done an estimate how much this will pull in? Is it gonna be severely front loaded? Or is it just too early to tell?

You can never be super accurate with this kind of thing, but based on all prior Kickstarters of a similar nature, it's going to be somewhere in the region of 7 million dollars.

Like many other suggestions, this likely doesn't matter at all. The vast majority of all successful, high-profile, games Kickstarters follow exactly the same curve, beginning to end.

Start big, end big, lull in the middle. Each of those sections accounts for roughly 1/3rd of the total, with the start and end bits being a bit higher and the lull a bit lower. The lull is also 10 times as long.

Bloodstained is the poster boy for this curve. They did almost everything right, practically a perfect campaign, but nothing shifted them out of the pattern even a little. I suppose they ended a little stronger than is typical, that might have something to do with the quality of their campaign. See also, Project Eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom