• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GFFKCkA.png

Boom!

Here's to the next 50,000. Right? RIGHT?!

Brakus

Banned
Add Ons need to happen. A friend of mine would like to contribute and since they aren't prepared for Paypal (which is baffling to me), he needs to pledge through me. I'm in at $300 and they explicitly state backers could only pledge once for those tiers (which is also baffling) so I need a way to get my friend at least another physical PS4 copy.

Just open another account, I have 3.

Watching a playthrough of Shenmue 2 even though I played it so many times amazes me how insanely awesome this game is. This series has epic written all over it.

Ocaso

except that there is a reason, and it's the exactly the one i've talked about. yu suzuki himself said that ending at 3 would not be a satisfying conclusion, and i totally agree. it doesn't even remotely feel like we're at the end of ryo's story at all. fast-forwarding to some artificial conclusion is not the way to see the series out at all.

yu suzuki is already trimming the fat by saying he can get it done and ended with one more game after 3. not to mention the chapters already trimmed from shenmue II. for a series that was supposed to span into 5 or more whole games, that's enough trimming.

and honestly, the firefly comparison doesn't work at all. apples and oranges.

the real missed opportunity here would be not doing right by fans and not giving them the continuation of the story as intended. the outpouring of support for shenmue 3, the record breaking support, is a fantastic springboard to continue the series as intended. it is not a limping attempt at just giving closure, and it shouldn't be.

Again, you are simply being more optimistic than I am about the prospect of a Shenmue 4 ever actually making it to market. Let's be honest here, as extremely positive as this initial support is, it's still just 50,000 fans. Let's say that doubles between now and the end of the campaign? Do 100,000 fans represent franchise-defining support? Keep in mind this isn't a comparatively simple 2D franchise but a AAA 3D experience. Franchises like this require both tons of money and tons of sales. There's a reason Sega passed on this opportunity.

I did watch Firefly, and enjoyed it very much. Yes, Whedon probably had some details worked out, like the origin of the Reavers etc., and the general direction of the first season. But you can't tell me he had planned through 10 seasons already. That's ridiculous.

10 seasons? Of course not. But major character arcs and plot points? Absolutely. He knew what was essential and what was not.

Oh yes, there is: money. The game appears to be "underfunded" as is, no need to make things worse by cramming more story into it. Also, what you consider to be "trimmable fat" in a story, others might think of as the best part... I don't see how a premature ending of any story could ever be exceptional and satisfying.

Well, the ending will be premature regardless. Suzuki initially planned many more games but, logically I think, altered that for part 2. Which is my point. He recognizes the fact that he was overly ambitious.

As for when a premature ending is better, the answer is simple: when it's the only alternative to no ending. George RR Martin may not give a shit if his work is finished or not. That's up to him. But other authors believe in properly concluding their work. Sometimes that means leaving outlines of your work for others to finish, sometimes it means cutting down your original vision. Honestly, I respect the latter approach more. It shows you care not only for your work, but for the fans who invested in it as well.

Skeff

almost 60k today with another 6 hours to go. that ps4 physical copy has legs.

Yep it was the final straw for me dropping $300 on this, I was really tempted before for the signed package but a little hesitant as I knew I'd want a ps4 physical copy as well. But here we are problem solved.

Erevador

almost 60k today with another 6 hours to go. that ps4 physical copy has legs.
Definitely showcases how much gamers still value the physical copy. It's been amazing to see the way that has driven the campaign up to 4.3 and 50,000 backers.

Great to still see that momentum going after a couple days.

Spaghetti

Again, you are simply being more optimistic than I am about the prospect of a Shenmue 4 ever actually making it to market. Let's be honest here, as extremely positive as this initial support is, it's still just 50,000 fans. Let's say that doubles between now and the end of the campaign? Do 100,000 fans represent franchise-defining support? Keep in mind this isn't a comparatively simple 2D franchise but a AAA 3D experience. Franchises like this require both tons of money and tons of sales. There's a reason Sega passed on this opportunity.
it's already been established in this thread that backers do not equal sales. this is a returning series that is well loved by many, and at least known of by many more. it made its debut in an e3 press conference, and will likely see at least two more before it comes out. this game will sell leagues more than the amount of people backing the kickstarter on name alone. look at all the interest about a shenmue HD collection on this forum alone from people who've never played the games.

that said, it's entirely pointless to speculate on sales before development of the game has even begun.

ending the series with 3 by jamming the story into an impossibly small space would be the weak thing to do. yu suzuki is making compromises, but not at the expense of the experience itself. he's made the right choice, and that's the shenmue 3 we are getting whether you like it or not at this point.

this game is a great example of gamer empowerment. it has taken a franchise thought dead by publishers, and placed it into the hands of fans who have breathed new life into the series.

sega had their reasons to pass, but frankly they're an irrelevance at this point. we're getting shenmue 3, and we're getting it as intended with or without them.

epmode

No, really though. there's 0% chance of not coming to Steam.

Yeah, that's probably true. Steam keys would cost them absolutely nothing and it's not like Sega's pushing some non-Steam distribution method.

The only other thing I'm concerned about is the audio dub. I'd like confirmation that we'll be able to switch between English and Japanese (with English subs).

PaRappa

Yu Suzuki is the legend who gave us

Hang on
Outrun
Space harrier
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Virtua racing
Virtua Fighter
Virtua cop
Ferrari
Scud racer
SHENMUE

Aside from Sonic, he was the reason I supported Sega through the Mega CD, 32x, Saturn and all their other failings. If this man wants funding for a game, we all owe it to him on light of contributions to gaming history. The guy is a legend. It would be like denying Miyamoto a chance to develop his next Mario game.

Erevador

Hang on
Outrun
Space harrier
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Virtua racing
Virtua Fighter
Virtua cop
Ferrari
Scud racer
SHENMUE

Aside from Sonic, he was the reason I supported Sega through the Mega CD, 32x, Saturn and all their other failings. If this man wants funding for a game, we all owe it to him on light of contributions to gaming history. The guy is a legend. It would be like denying Miyamoto a chance to develop his next Mario game.
I completely agree. And for entirely selfish reasons, I'm thrilled this campaign is so successful. I just want to get my hands on another Suzuki experience.

The guy has a magic touch.

Krejlooc

Banned

Hang on
Outrun
Space harrier
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Virtua racing
Virtua Fighter
Virtua cop
Ferrari
Scud racer
SHENMUE

Yu suzuki is the man who brought modern texture mapping to video games.

Haru

I've posted this in one other Shenmue thread, posting it here too:

Anyone here translate the website for Awesome Japan yet(the guys managing the kickstarter)?

It makes me laugh, considering how they've handled the campaign thus far.
Awesome Japan webpage said:
我々がAWESOME JAPANを通じて
実現したいことは大きく分けると2つです。

1つ目は、日本の素晴らしいコンテンツを海外に広めること(需要の積極的な掘り起こし)で、
国内に高付加価値な産業を創出し、その結果として日本経済の再成長とプレゼンス強化を実現することです。

2つ目は、未来を担う子どもたちが、AWESOME JAPANで働く私たちを見て、

「こんな大人にならなってみても良いかも」
「一生懸命働くのも案外悪くないことかも」
「腐らず、諦めず継続して頑張ったら意外と努力は報われるのかも」
「こいつらにできるなら自分にもできるかも」
と少しでも感じてもらえるような人間に成長することです。

In short:
"What we want to achieve, two things:

One-
To spread wonderful Japanese content abroad, in order to reinvigorate the Japanese economy and strengthen Japan's international presence.

Two-
To the children who will build our future, we want them to look at us who work at AWESOME JAPAN and have them think:

"If I could become an adult like that, it might be worth growing up"

"Working really hard might not be so bad after all"

And so on.
Heh.

Spaghetti

The only other thing I'm concerned about is the audio dub. I'd like confirmation that we'll be able to switch between English and Japanese (with English subs).
unfortunately it's unlikely we'll get that information until after development starts, because of the logistics of how the localisation is going to work.

part of the problem with say, a dual language option for the original shenmue, would be that certain lines just aren't in the english version, just like some lines aren't in the japanese version.

Chinner

Banned
You know what's also exciting, we're going to get two years of Shenmue III appearing at Sony's E3 conference.

Fade to black

Shenmue music starts playing.

Yes!

Krejlooc

Banned
So I sent the kick starter campaign a message a while back explaining my experience with virtual reality and half life 2 modding, and said a few design decisions early on in shenmue 3's development could make yu suzuki's dream of a vr shenmue ultimately come true. I said these design decisions wouldnt affect the scope or complexity of the game, but would make it easier for people to come in later and mod vr support on the pc version.

Yesterday, the co producer of the game responded asking for a more detailed explaination of my advice to be passed on to the team. I am writing a very detailed explaination of my suggestions, including a piece of ue4 code to decouple gaze from body orientation to send to them.

I want my suggestion translated into japanese so there isnt a language barrier, would anybody be up for translating for me?

Spaghetti

You know what's also exciting, we're going to get two years of Shenmue III appearing at Sony's E3 conference.

Fade to black

Shenmue music starts playing.

Yes!
and this kicks in towards the end of the trailer, with shots of shaolin monks practising with ryo in a monastery against a low, red sun

Carl

Yeah we really need a physical and digital tier.

I sent a message the other day asking about being able to add additional copies to our pledge. It'd definitely make them some extra money and they don't lose anything by letting us do that.

Haven't heard anything back yet. Send them a message :p

Boke1879

if we can get to 5 million in the next 7 days, i think 6 milion is totally possible.

No doubt the KS will get another HUGE boost in the final 48 hours so we have 10 days to get it as high as it can go before the final 2 days. Which will most likely see another one million in funding.

I sent a message the other day asking about being able to add additional copies to our pledge. It'd definitely make them some extra money and they don't lose anything by letting us do that.

Haven't heard anything back yet. Send them a message :p

Seems that Cedric just retweeted someone asking for extra copies to be added so maybe they're considering it!

master15

So I sent the kick starter campaign a message a while back explaining my experience with virtual reality and half life 2 modding, and said a few design decisions early on in shenmue 3's development could make yu suzuki's dream of a vr shenmue ultimately come true. I said these design decisions wouldnt affect the scope or complexity of the game, but would make it easier for people to come in later and mod vr support on the pc version.

Yesterday, the co producer of the game responded asking for a more detailed explaination of my advice to be passed on to the team. I am writing a very detailed explaination of my suggestions, including a piece of ue4 code to decouple gaze from body orientation to send to them.

I want my suggestion translated into japanese so there isnt a language barrier, would anybody be up for translating for me?

We have a few people at the Dojo who are doing Japanese translations.

Perhaps you can PM me the details and I can liaise with them if you are not a member.

openrob

Sign up on Shenmue Dojo, I am sure there are Japanese speakers willing to assist. Kiyuu for one is always translating stuff.
Basically that is where the pople willing to help will help!

Flandy

SOMEBODY HELP THIS MAN

PaRappa

I would love some of the stretch goals to include playable coin-op games.

Imagine being able to play Virtua Fighter 3?!

Holy shit, that would get the kickstarter fired up no end!

Surta

Keep in mind this isn't a comparatively simple 2D franchise but a AAA 3D experience.
What's an AAA game to you (serious question) and why do you think that Shenmue 3 will be one? Does it have to be one? I don't think so.

But other authors believe in properly concluding their work.

The keyword being properly. What you're suggesting doesn't seem proper at all, at least not to the majority of people in this discussion here, and neither to Yu Suzuki.

Send a message to Dojo member Switch, he's been doing most of the translations from Yu Suzuki interviews since the start of the Kickstarter.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47918

So funding is going amazingly well. Shenmue Day on Friday including everyone's efforts and the PS4 physical version has electrocuted and recharged the campaign. Just to put the numbers in to perspective our previous trending totals were ~12K per day. So say if nothing happened over the last four days the Kickstarter would have raised an estimated ~48K. Instead the funding total over the last four days as a result of the good news happening together in a perfect storm of awesome is ~522K. So that means we raised over ten times the previously projected amount. Also there's been a positive and lasting residual impact. Funding is much higher on a daily basis now and well above where we were trending previously due to everyone and Awesome Japan's continued efforts. We went from zero confidence in us even hitting 4 million by the end to projections now of north of 6 million - maybe even 7 - for the campaign's conclusion.

Looking forward to tomorrow's update now. Such an amazing week for the campaign. :)

Backflip

I've seen someone mentioning a Dreamcast-like collector's editon. I agree that it's a pretty cool idea, I even talked to Cedric about it the day after the campaign started. But 600$ for it is way too expensive. They need to add "cheap" rewards as well. I LOVE Shenmue. But I can't drop 500 bucks on it.

That being said, I'd love it if they produced a real winning can.

jcjimher

ash55 over on shenmue dojo mocked these up based on my suggestion of the yakuza playstations, what do you guys think?

They are nice, but I'm not sure pure white or pure black fit the Shenmue aesthetic. I have no photoshop skills, but I would kill for a greenish-turquoise PS4, with the hard disk cover textured like the Dragon/Phoenix mirrors.

jcjimher

unfortunately it's unlikely we'll get that information until after development starts, because of the logistics of how the localisation is going to work.

part of the problem with say, a dual language option for the original shenmue, would be that certain lines just aren't in the english version, just like some lines aren't in the japanese version.

I reckon the main reason why the DC originals didn't have that option was disk space. Because the games surely had a lot of recorded dialogue, and DC disks only held around 1 GB.

I think the possibility of language choice for Shenmue 3 is much higher, since those size constraints will be much looser, and because, depending on the budget, maybe the game won't be fully voiced (only cutscenes and the like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom