• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 needs $10M to truly have open world features (Sony not fully funding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

I'll break it downs in terms we can all understand: Mario

10 million: Super Mario Galaxy
8 million: Super Mario 64
5 million: Mario Party 2
3 million: Mario Party 9
2 million: Mario is Missing

Alienous

I don't really believe this. If Sony can afford to fund TLG for so long it can afford to fund this. It'll generate them a lot of good will. Something tells me that in the end they will end up funding all it needs. The Kickstarter was a marketing ploy to get people hyped.

You can feed your employees with good will.

Allforce

That reddit reply by Suzuki is Kickstarter Marketing 101.

"We're going to do this for X dollars but if you REALLY want to see our vision then KEEP DONATING"

He means 10 million enables him to do just about EVERYTHING he wants in Shenmue III. 2 million is sufficient to get the story and base gameplay. Extra details cost more money. I think he's simply laying out his dream Kickstarter funding.

Stay positive guys. This game is happening and that is a minor miracle!

entremet

If I were to the OP, this would be my title. The original title is all sorts of ambiguous.

Shenmue 3 needs 10 million to realize its full development potential.

Just a really bad thread title.

Sorry, OP.

Ridley327

Because that's a horribly unrealistic number to raise. Two million is huge. Kickstarters are supplemental to the actual budget.

Right. Just to use a recent example, the response to Bloodstained would have been a hell of a lot different if IGA asked for $5 million upfront than how they actually did it. You don't start with the budget you really want: you start with the budget you absolutely need.

Loudninja

No its already successful it needs 10 million to realize its full potential.

Also Sony are giving fund but they haven't decide how much yet so people need to chill on that.

raphier

Banned
I think it might just work out if he manages to give people what they want. I would start with additional (more interesting) reward tiers, more updates and transparency.
That's 10 million BUDGET. If we want to be realistic, half of that will go to rewards, so if he wants big budget, smaller rewards is the way to go, otherwise KS will need to reach 20 million

N30RYU

A lot of ppl won't care at all about that 10M goal 'cause the 2M goal in kickstarted has been achieved.

ultrazilla

While I understand the love for Shenmue(loved it
on my Dreamcast) Sony and Suzuki exploiting the
fans and kickstarter for it sucks.

Yeah, nobody is "forcing" the backing of it but this
just comes across pretty brazen. :/

Remark

Banned
Goodwill whatever people forget that Sony is still in a finicial situation. Can't just give a couple mill around like that :l

Also, Yu Suzuki should probably open up funding after the Kickstarter ends to gain additional funds (ala Star Citizen)

Jhn

Has Suzuki answered why there's no physical copy for PS4? I want to back, but there's no good option at "retail game" level prices. Which is ridiculous.

I appreciate Sony's honesty in saying early on that once it hits the goal they were stepping in with funding, but that probably did more harm than good. Now people are gonna be like "No it's cool, Sony's got this" when it sounds like they don't

HyperOne

Banned
I'm sorry, but nearly everything around this smells fishy. 10 mil from a kickstater campaign???? Seems like far to much to be asking for to deliver what you really want.

I might check it out if it meets that goal, but I have no desire to act like the PR rep for a kickstater campaign that sets out assuming I will do just that.

So is this game basically just going though the Pub Fund system? Basically Sony offers some funding, access to some resources and promotion in exchange for some exclusivity but the game is still fully owned and funded by the game dev? (+doing a bit of extra promotion because its Shenmue 3?)

Anyway I expect the KS to end up somewhere around the 6-7 million mark. It isnt as well run as other kickstarters. They are doing a poor job explaining what the stretch goals are and giving reasons to continue funding.

How much do I need to get Super Mario World? As that's my favourite.

Alienous

Why didn't they ask for 10 million then? I don't get it.

Probably because you could make a Shenmue 3 radio drama for 2 million.

This entire Kickstarter seems to have the tone of "people want to see how the Shenmue story concludes". You could do that in a book. $10 million in crowd-funding seems to be what it would take to make it an actual sequel to Shenmue 2.

ChaosXVI

The title is a bit misleading, he needs $10 million to make it a full realization of Shenmue III, like with all the bells and whistles and whatnot. $5 million is still enough to get a good game, all he is saying is that $10 million would bring about the best possible Shenmue III.

And honestly, I do think it's possible for it to happen, especially if the fans keep helping promote the campaign and get everyone they can to chip in a few dollars here and there.

kurahador

I think it's more like:

2 million : Witcher
3 million : Witcher + Card game
5 million : Witcher 2
10 million: Witcher 3

DieH@rd

Banned
10 million is much more realistic number.

I guess 2 million is enough reach goal [no reaching the goal = no payment from Kickstarter], to assemble the dev team, and at least make downscaled version of the game.

Omikaru

I don't think this game is getting $10m. I think when all's said and done it will be the highest funded Kickstarter videogame, but so far that record is held by Bloodstained which ended at $5,545,991 a week ago.

My gut is telling me Shenmue III will get $6-$7m which, for crowdfunding a $30-$60 product, is a massive accomplishment. My hope is that amount turns a few heads inside Sony and they look to help make this game reach its true potential, though I understand that that's wishful thinking.

I can see 5Mil, 10Mil sounds pretty crazy.

I'm happy to see some transparency when Gio said: Most of the funding will be coming from us, the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom