• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 needs $10M to truly have open world features (Sony not fully funding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been alot of ambiguity around Shenmue 3's funding and whether Sony were going to fund the rest of the project once the kickstarter hit 2 million. Suzuki-san has now finally stated that for Shenmue 3 to be a true open world sequel and presumably reach its full potential, it needs 10 million from kickstarter.

Zgf3BSh.png

SONY Are not fully funding this game

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168899118&postcount=6043

They will be helping with PR/Marketing and who knows what else. (As stated by Boyes and Corsi). Most of the funding will be coming from us, the fans.

I very much doubt major gaming sites will cover this; and hell, there are even sites/gamers out there trying to sabotage Shenmue 3 in general. Fortunately, we have platforms such as Neogaf and other forms of social media to express our voice.

We all need to work together to make this happen and use any available resources that we have to spread the word (Twitter, Youtubers, forums, etc, etc).

Admittedly, this campaign should have been handled better and the goal should have been 10 million from the start, but whats done is done.

Please let's not argue with one another, spread any negativity or GIVE UP. we still have 27 DAYS people. Anything is possible within that time period.

This is our one chance to get a proper Shenmue sequel. Let's pull together and make it happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/updates

HJwWzhu.png

r3z0n

Neo Member
I'm not liking where this is going. Couldn't Suzuki just asked for 10mil from the start? I know it would have been a risk but damn, do the game properly as you imagined it.

Jackpot

Banned
I'd fund them if I got a proportional part of the profits, like you'd expect the investor of any project to receive.

lol I'd say leave it, it has a certain charm.

I've never played Shenmue, but I have all the other Yu Suzuki games so I hope this works out for everyone :)

(well except people who are being negative about it. Bleargh)

Izuna

Banned
I know a know who knows a bro who just won some lottery. We aren't friends anymore when I suggested him donating to Shenmue III. Not because he got offended, but because he didn't.

BRB donating blood and other fluids for this game.

Thing is, almost every fan has put in as much as they are willing already. And we haven't gotten past 3.3mil for a while now. I honestly can't donate more and I'm struggling. I can't really expect others to give more. 10mil from fans just isn't going to cut it. They definitely have someone else that will give them funding as 2mil wouldn't be enough for whatever base game they were talking about anyway.

I don't think it's possible to hit 10 million. Not even highly publicized video game Kickstarters have hit that. Bloodstained, the most successful Kickstarter game, only hit 5.5 million.

I'm starting to think that all those years of people saying Shenmue was too big of a game for Kickstarter were right. :(

I've done my part though.

Alienous

If it doesn't get it maybe people didn't really want a Shenmue 3.

Surely they know how much 1 & 2 cost. I hope they are just really interested in seeing the story conclude, because I think it's doubtful that even $10 million with private investor backing could do justice to what Shenmue was at the time of its release in terms of innovation.

Hire Bloodstained's KS team, kthx

My thought. I find the Shenmue KS campaign half-hearted. Not to mention the terrible campaign video. Nevertheless I wish Suzuki best luck with the project. Being transparent is very important to run a good KS campaign, so hopefully he will get whatever he needs to turn his vision into reality.

Birathen

What happens to the pledges if it doesn't reach 10m since the goal was set at 2m and it is in the eyes of kickstarter funded now?

Edit: Oh wait.. It's only for it to be open world. Where the other games Open world?

I added anohter $2 to my pledge, that works out at just over £20 total.

I'd fund them if I got a proportional part of the profits, like you'd expect the investor of any project to receive.
Kickstarter isn't for investing, though. It's working as a donation, with the reward being the product for whatever tier you select once the project is complete. It's never been for investing in anything, unless you include the entertainment as an invetment.

Why isn't Sony just funding this?

So ridiculous.
Would you fund an IP that has never been profitable on any platform it's released on?

Do you guys not know how much it takes to make a game these days? The Witcher 3 was like 30 some odd million and that was considered cheap. When I heard about the Shenmue 3 kickstarter, I laughed.

Jhn

Jesus. Some goddamn transparency wouldn't hurt.
This whole ordeal has been extremely confusing.

mjc

What happens to the pledges if it doesn't reach 10m since the goal was set at 2m and it is in the eyes of kickstarter funded now?

The game is released at 1/4 the planned size...please understand. You didn't fund it well enough.

genjiZERO

I don't really believe this. If Sony can afford to fund TLG for so long it can afford to fund this. It'll generate them a lot of good will. Something tells me that in the end they will end up funding all it needs. The Kickstarter was a marketing ploy to get people hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom