• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 shatters Kickstarter Game records ; $2 million achieved in 8 hours

People always bring up Shenmue when they complain about QTEs but I think Shenmue is one of the only games I played where QTEs seemed natural and didn't interrupt the flow.

I agree, they really seemed to work well in shenmue and flowed well into the gameplay. That soccer ball one still cracks me up.

jcjimher

People would have to be idiots to pledge to an AC or CoD Kickstarter.

Maybe not if they are rich and they get to have an exclusive dinner party with the games director...(well maybe CoD and Ac directors aren't the best examples, but what about some charismatic auteurs like Kojima or Itagaki or Michel Ancel or the likes...

It's a non-explored territory for profit...

J2 Cool

I always thought if it was low budget, I wouldnt even mind them using the old engine and doing it on that. Not that that seems to be happening. UE4 should be great, but hope it still has the graphical attention to detail and design control of the first two.

People always bring up Shenmue when they complain about QTEs but I think Shenmue is one of the only games I played where QTEs seemed natural and didn't interrupt the flow.

As people have said before, Shenmue coined the term QTE, though earlier released games (especially SEGA's Die Hard Arcade) have used it. They also used it as a selling point for the game.

EGM1966

Gurnuine wow moment really - never played the franchise but the core fans are clearly hardcore about this game.

Feels like a day of happy endings for AWOL games this far.

Pls Valve!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
As people have said before, Shenmue coined the term QTE, though earlier released games (especially SEGA's Die Hard Arcade) have used it. They also used it as a selling point for the game.

Well Shenmue evolved QTEs in ways I don't even think other games have used them. The whole 1 miss = failure thing was tossed and you simply had branching paths, which was awesome. And the epic chase up the building in Kowloon....oh man, I'm itching to go back and play those games...holding out on some outside chance we get a rerelease soon.

Shenmue's QTEs made sense with both context and timing. If you needed to jump, the button was pretty consistent to match the action that you needed to do. Other devs that put it in just made it a random button most times and sometimes made it completely meaningless. Can't recall any examples lately but there were times I felt like I was pressing buttons during a cutscene just for the sake of pushing buttons, if that makes sense.

A-V-B

I really want to back this, but the information seems so scanty right now. I'll want to see what happens down the line.

Understatement of a lifetime. Shenmue was so radically far ahead of anything else at the time. A true visionary.

Shenmue is one of the most ambitious, forward thinking, revolutionary titles ever made. It has had an enormous influence on everything that has come out since. Modern gaming owes its roots to Shenmue.

Yeah, it brought back simon says back to gaming for the Dragon's Lair times.

kidding...well...half-kidding

Top Bottom