• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Trial Announcement

Just received this update from YS.net Kickstarter page, looks like we will have a demo version at the end of September.

Hello Everyone,
Today we would like to make an announcement concerning the Kickstarter and Slacker Backer trial version of Shenmue III.

The trial version is scheduled for release during the second half of September. The elements and features to be included have almost all been pinned down, and we are now working to finalize a delivery date with our partners. Once a date has been confirmed, another announcement will be made here in the updates.

Trial Version Content
The trial version will feature a stand-alone act with objective that takes place in the first area of Shenmue III, Bailu Village. The game will be playable for an estimated 1 hours, and will be replayable after the objective has been cleared. There are lots of activities to experience and we hope you go back for more until the trial expires.
*The trial version will also come with a PDF play guide.
**Saves will not transfer over to the final version.

To Play Trial Version
Required PC specifications will be noted in the General Information section of the updates and can also be found on the FAQ.
The trial version will be for PC to be played on the Epic Games Store. An Epic Games account will be needed to play.
For information on creating an Epic Games account and on Epic Games' privacy policy, please visit the Epic Games Store.

Petrae

YsNet continues its winning streak! The game might wind up being either good of bad, but the run-up to the game has been nothing short of a PR dumpster fire.

— Crowdfunding (again) raises millions only for major publisher to pick it up for release
— Steam vs Epic Game Store fiasco
— Season Pass and retailer-specific DLC, because of course these have to happen
— Demo seemingly for one platform only

With all of the bullshit surrounding the game, it’s hard to root for it anymore.

Hold on so the trial is only for PC? I’ve contributed almost $800 and I don’t get the trial version? Pathetic
I see nothing about it being a PC exclusive trial, why would they do that?

It seems to me like they just put the PC specs there for convenience purposes.

From the very start it was listed as PC only on the Kickstarter. But it was also pitched as a technical/beta demo that would be released before the game, and not a trial version. So I guess they changed that into just a regular demo?

MiguelItUp

They're going about everything in the worst possible way. I've been pretty happy that we've leaned off of retailer based exclusive preorder bonuses, and haven't seen them in awhile. Of course they come back with this, lol.

ranmafan

I really don’t get why some people are so shocked and in some cases angry that the trial is PC only. It’s been part of the campaign from the beginning and very clearly written it was for PC not for consoles. There are certainly some things worth complaint about the Kickstarter lately, but I don’t see what the fuss is about this one. (still nothing in the campaign come close to the frustration I’m getting with bloodstained and being a backer in Japan. You think the Shenmue problems are bad, it ain’t nothing compared to that.)

Mista

Banned
There's too much shit to post, so I'll do the lazy thing and link it:

Pledge US$ 800 or more
SHENMUE PATRON
In the oriental tradition of marking a pilgrimage to a temple by affixing one's name to the building, your name will appear on a Choubu temple in Chinese characters. The Chinese characters for your name will be approved by Yu Suzuki himself.
Find your name tag on the temple and receive a special Technique Scroll!
+ Receive a PDF of your name in Chinese characters as it will appear in the game.
Be part of the culture that is the world of Shenmue.
$500 Reward included.

Well, thats awesome.

spud19870

Neo Member
It's PC only. It was clear in the original KS back in the day

Wayback Archive of Kickstarter June 16th 2015
March 7th 2016 Slacker Backer

Both state a trial for PC only but people who backed $100 or above get access to it so I suppose it is a case of whether you've a PC to run it. If not then I can see codes being gifted or whatnot.

As for the rest they do need to hurry up with the refunds to put a close to this whole issue. That said I cannot wait for this game to come out! Nearly there now!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's PC only. It was clear in the original KS back in the day

Wayback Archive of Kickstarter June 16th 2015
March 7th 2016 Slacker Backer

Both state a trial for PC only but people who backed $100 or above get access to it so I suppose it is a case of whether you've a PC to run it. If not then I can see codes being gifted or whatnot.

As for the rest they do need to hurry up with the refunds to put a close to this whole issue. That said I cannot wait for this game to come out! Nearly there now!

Things are clear and have been clear since the beginning, but there is apparently a desire and angst that is only content when they find any excuse to rage against this game... sad and a bit pathetic...

— Crowdfunding (again) raises millions only for major publisher to pick it up for release

Why is this a bad thing? More money into the project than expected is usually a good thing. You want the game to be under the original budget?

Edit: I’m not a defender of their PR firm, just this struck as a bit of strange thing to bullet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom