• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

orient

Neo Member
I have found my home on GAF.

In terms of the games, I own three copies of the original -- a sealed Japanese copy, a Japanese Special Edition with Jukebox CD, and a European copy. Just the two copies of Shenmue II -- Dreamcast and Xbox. I have the Limited Edition Ryo Hazuki statue from F4F and the official hoodie.

Never been too interested in owning US Shenmue or What's Shenmue? But I would like to buy the strategy guides for both games soon.

Cannot wait for the GDC presentation. I don't think anything will be announced, I just want to find out more about the creation of these amazing, one of a kind games.

Coreda

1T2jfB5.jpg

I'm in love with this overcast screenshot.

About time this thread was made! Shenmue II is still to this day my favourite videogame of all time and probably the best thing this industry has ever done.

And for the longest time I’ve found it hard to express why I love Shenmue so much – it’s a combination of a lot of things, but I almost always put it down to the experience it gives you mainly thanks to the atmosphere. It’s because its one of the only games where YOU are the character as opposed to just being the player looking through a window. The game doesn’t revolve around you - YOU revolve around the game while the game world simply continues to move forward. This is why it feels so personal. This is why the sense of place and atmosphere is heighten to astronomical levels. This is why the little touches stay with you. This is why it truly feels like you are personally experiencing different cultures and feel like you have been to these locations. This is why Shenmue I and II are masterpieces!

TCRS

Banned
subbed. every now and then I'll get all nostalgic when I think about Shenmue. Such a great game.

Nyoro SF

I just started this game on DC a few days ago.

The English VAs are god damn hilariously cheesy.

I will say, back in the time when Shenmue was released, it was very common for English dubs and subs to ignore or try to translate around Japanese honorifics, so it's very surprising to hear them being used in this game. I like it, just like the way they were used in Persona 4.

Jacobi

Banned
So, eh will this be moved into the Community forum at some point?
I really wanna do a ShenMue tribute at some point. I don't believe Sega will ever put out something new... The rumors about a licensed engine or API ShenMue is using (and thus can't be published again) sounded rational...

Omikaru

Hi ShenmueGAF!

Subscribed, just because having a place for Shenmue fans to talk is long overdue.

Been a fan since the game first came out in Europe. I always get totally absorbed in these magnificent gems, and I try to get a play through of Shenmue I & II every 18 months or so, though recently my DC has kicked it so I'm hoping emulation and/or Shenmue I & II HD for modern systems + PC is a thing very soon.

tsab

I need a dual language HD re-release soon :/

The English dub is bad, but good bad and the Japanese dub is good, but bad good.

Piccoro

Subbed.

So, the other night I was in bed thinking about Shenmue, and it occurred me something:

How is it possible that Ryo in Shenmue II travels to China, and all the locals speak Japanese! (English in the US version).
And assuming they all speak those languages in order for the gamer to comprehend, and they are really speaking Chinese, how does Ryo understands and speaks Chinese to them?
Did Ryo's father taught him Chinese?

blazeuk

Still remember the day I bought the first game, still love the games and despite it probably not having the same sort of impact for those who are new to it and play it now, it'll never lose that wow moment I had when I first played it. I think it's almost time I played through them again.

Josh7289

I think the series is dead. But I did love Shenmue 1. I haven't played 2, and don't want to unless I know I can finish the story.

Hi ShenmueGAF!

Subscribed, just because having a place for Shenmue fans to talk is long overdue.

Been a fan since the game first came out in Europe. I always get totally absorbed in these magnificent gems, and I try to get a play through of Shenmue I & II every 18 months or so, though recently my DC has kicked it so I'm hoping emulation and/or Shenmue I & II HD for modern systems + PC is a thing very soon.

Good to see a fellow personagaf user in the Shenmue thread.

Boogybro

thanks, really liked the first one.

btw: the apparently correct pronunciation fo Shenmue sounds so incredibly stupid.

Shen-moo? I rather keep saying it wrong.

So Shen-Moo is the correct way? Good, that's how I've always said it. It's like Nike and Nikey.

The memories.

i think I'm gonna go on a Shenmue marathon like the good old days.

Wanace

Where can I get the OST?

Love the atmosphere, the music especially. Playing Shenmue in the winter of 2000 was a defining highlight of my early 20s.

_Ryo_

I wonder if I could sue SEGA for emotional damages. I need compensation in the form of new Shenmue, dammit!

Stimpack

Probably my favorite thread on GAF. Subscribed for sure. Always hoping to hear some good news for Shenmue.

Oh, it is pronounced "shen-moo"? Hah. It hadn't even occurred to me that people would pronounce it any other way. "Shen-mew" sounds very strange to me. This thread is already delivering.

Top Bottom