• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Jay Sosa

So Shen-Moo is the correct way? Good, that's how I've always said it. It's like Nike and Nikey.

The memories.

i think I'm gonna go on a Shenmue marathon like the good old days.

Oh, it is pronounced "shen-moo"? Hah. It hadn't even occurred to me that people would pronounce it any other way. "Shen-mew" sounds very strange to me. This thread is already delivering.

Well that was I was told by some snarky nerds. I basically pronounce it the way it's spelled, Shen-mu-e

Shen-moo sounds like the nickname for a chinese cow.

Would love to complete the two games back to back, but I think I shall leave those gaming memories right there.

Shenmue 2 really was a fast paced ride, compared to the very thoughtful, and slow original - probably due to the sequel covering a good few chapters in the saga.

Would love to go over the final few hours of Shenmue 2 again, as I only ever did it once and it was pretty memorable!

Stimpack

Well that was I was told by some snarky nerds. I basically pronounce it the way it's spelled, Shen-mu-e

Shen-moo sounds like the nickname for a chinese cow.

I agree with this. I still pronounce it "moo", though, but mainly because in America most people don't care.

I haven't played these games in about 10 years yet I wear my Shenmue hoody most mornings when I go running.
DAT impact!

This thread may be the final push I need to dig my Dreamcast back out though.....

I'll need a VGA to HDMI cable, I assume this'll work fine with the Dreamcast?

Cheers guys, nice to know it IS possible, although the solution is a little pricier than a cheap ass like me would like.
Was hoping I could just get a cable for a fiver tbh..... I'll have a scout around for any alternatives :)

Cheers guys, nice to know it IS possible, although the solution is a little pricier than a cheap ass like me would like.
Was hoping I could just get a cable for a fiver tbh..... I'll have a scout around for any alternatives :)

I just brought a vga box and ran it through my pc monitor. It came out crystal clear. I think if you invest in a crt monitor, it will look even better, with the dreamcast's resolution and all.

NeoGIF

I swear, every time I see this intro: http://youtu.be/BsLUrsxWvxw

cDXIAmk.gif

What are your favorite pieces of Shenmue artwork?

I've always been fond of the front cover for Shenmue 2.

bysby2k3_wallpaper_10.jpg

Oh and................................WHO IS THE BOSS?

Synth

Sorry I'm late guys. It took a while to move all my possessions into this thread. :p

I'm shocked this thread took so long to happen. Thanks IrishNinja.

flozuki

Only game that won´t need a Lttp-thread because it is always there ;-)
I love Shenmue and I still believe that we somehow will get anything to close the story. A book, an article, a movie... Who knows :-D

RaikuHebi

Banned
Best way for a series noob to play? Xbox version?

The only time I ever played it was as a kid round a Sega friend's house. He was on the forklift truck driving thing lol. He used to tell us about the game in school, it always sounded interesting to me but being a PlayStation kid I couldn't take my interest further.

Best way for a series noob to play? Xbox version?

The only time I ever played it was as a kid round a Sega friend's house. He was on the forklift truck driving thing lol. He used to tell us about the game in school, it always sounded interesting to me but being a PlayStation kid I couldn't take my interest further.

It depends on what sort of gamer you are. Do you like alot of action and fast paced story? If so, go with Shenmue 2. Watch the Shenmue 1 movie first though.

If you want to experience the masterpiece in its truest form, go with Shenmue 1. However, if your expecting action every 5 seconds like gta, you wont enjoy yourself. This game is about the epic tale of Ryo Hazuki. Those who are patient will be rewarded 10fold. You can't just go around and fight everyone. It's a story driven and exploration game. Dont get me wrong though, there are fights, and some epic ones at that.

Personally, id say start with Shenmue 1, but thats just me.

Coxy

How would you guys feel about shenmue 3 having VR?

I think shenmue's FREE system coupled with the pacing and emphasis on exploration and talking to people would make it a great game if they want a showcase for their VR

Omikaru

I think shenmue's FREE system coupled with the pacing and emphasis on exploration and talking to people would make it a great game if they want a showcase for their VR

I think the thing with Shenmue is that it always had a cinematic element to it, which seems to go counter to the whole VR thing, which is more of a first-person immersive experience. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I'm yet to be convinced.

Though I'd be down with the idea of a FREE-type game having VR, but Shenmue itself... hmm. I'm not so sure about that.

Shenmue fans check this out.

Deepthroat over at the Shenmuedojo has been testing out Ryo's character model using the unity engine.

Press on the link and see what you think. It may take a little while to load but its awesome.

For some reason it doesn't work in my chrome browser, so i loaded it up with firefox. It might be different for all you guys though.

SHENMUE UNITY ENGINE TEST

Move using the keyboard arrows
run by holding left shift down
look around by holding the space bar.

grapetile

Neo Member
Shenmue II for the Dreamcast was the very first game I ever tried to import, even though I knew next to nothing about it at the time. I just walked into a video game store at a local mall, and asked if they could help me with it, but they ended up quoting an outrageous price for me at the time. I was a little bummed I didn't get to play I and II on the same system, but I was glad when I was able to play it in any case. My hope for Shenmue III feels about as realistic as Suikoden VI (low) at this point, but hey, no reason to give up 100%.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It depends on what sort of gamer you are. Do you like alot of action and fast paced story? If so, go with Shenmue 2. Watch the Shenmue 1 movie first though.

If you want to experience the masterpiece in its truest form, go with Shenmue 1. However, if your expecting action every 5 seconds like gta, you wont enjoy yourself. This game is about the epic tale of Ryo Hazuki. Those who are patient will be rewarded 10fold. You can't just go around and fight everyone. It's a story driven and exploration game. Dont get me wrong though, there are fights, and some epic ones at that.

Personally, id say start with Shenmue 1, but thats just me.

Sounds like my kind of game.

Guys maybe I'm mis-remembering this but when you put the Shenmue 1 discs into a CD player, didn't each disc have a different characters voice recording basically saying "this is not a CD"...???

Jay Sosa

Shenmue VR?

1309805983200236.gif

Boogybro

Shenmue fans check this out.

Deepthroat over at the Shenmuedojo has been testing out Ryo's character model using the unity engine.

Press on the link and see what you think. It may take a little while to load but its awesome.

For some reason it doesn't work in my chrome browser, so i loaded it up with firefox. It might be different for all you guys though.

SHENMUE UNITY ENGINE TEST

Move using the keyboard arrows
run by holding left shift down
look around by holding the space bar.

That is AWESOME!

What are your favorite pieces of Shenmue artwork?

I've always been fond of the front cover for Shenmue 2.

bysby2k3_wallpaper_10.jpg

Oh and................................WHO IS THE BOSS?

I'm partial to these two.

fi1EGeY.jpg

K4zH6DT.jpg

Elija2

I always wondered, what the heck is a Tore Store?

I kept seeing that sign in Shenmue II and I always wondered what it meant. Is it a misspelling of Tire Store? Are they saying tore as in something that was torn? I need an answer!

Top Bottom