• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II HD Announced [PS4/X1/Steam] 2018

Oh yeah that totally makes sense... Im going to have to fund a full text dump when i finish the game, there are some pretty big gaps in mine and i am trying to be pretty thorough in talking to people.

xion4360

there really are problems with this. Im playing on PS4 Pro and ever since I retrieved a certain item from a basement Ive been seeing broken cutscenes (camera pointed at a ground, or black screen) and the game has now crashed. Also sound effects missing here and there, and the KNIGHTS toys being invisible.

Last edited:

MDarkbladeM

Neo Member
If you have boost mode enabled on PS4 Pro, it will cause problems. No idea if it'll fix invisible items but sound problems should get fixed.

SAiLO

there really are problems with this. Im playing on PS4 Pro and ever since I retrieved a certain item from a basement Ive been seeing broken cutscenes (camera pointed at a ground, or black screen) and the game has now crashed. Also sound effects missing here and there, and the KNIGHTS toys being invisible.
Same issues here. I have noticed that closing and re-opening the game helps with this.

DareDaniel

Banned
Been playing for too long imo, I'm trying to see when the game picks up but it just doesn't.
I missed this when it first released as I never had a dreamcast but the hype surrounding it then and praises it gets got me interested, but the game is dated as fuck, I know PS1 games that have aged better.
in fact it's nothing to do with age, this would have been poor 20 years ago.
I really wanna like it but there's fuck all to do but ask the same questions with worse voice acting than Resident Evil 1.
I thought the fighting would liven it up but I haven't had 1 in 3 hours.

Playing this for the first time as well.

I spend more time in this game waiting for the next story event than actually playing it. Once I get the info that I need from 2 or 3 key characters in order to progress the story, there's no need to talk to anyone else. It's just repetitive. I can also go to the park to train some moves or go the arcades to play some games, but that's all you can do in your "free time" (at least, in the beginning of the game). The fact that time passes so slow makes the whole experience even more tedious.

IpsoFacto

In the glitch department, I've been mercifully lucky...

In
the tattoo parlor where I confront Charlie for the first time, save for the QTE
the camera oddly points to the ground. The same happens when
Nozomi confronts Ryo after walking out of the tattoo parlor
. I had one weird glitch on
the third day of working at the docks. I could not put down the first crate inside Warehouse Nº3. After the lunch break I did and still made quota.

The other reported glitches that I've read, I haven't encountered... yet.

BANGS

Banned
In the glitch department, I've been mercifully lucky...

In
the tattoo parlor where I confront Charlie for the first time, save for the QTE
the camera oddly points to the ground. The same happens when
Nozomi confronts Ryo after walking out of the tattoo parlor
. I had one weird glitch on
the third day of working at the docks. I could not put down the first crate inside Warehouse Nº3. After the lunch break I did and still made quota.

The other reported glitches that I've read, I haven't encountered... yet.
I've mostly only got some bad sound glitches and such. I had ONE bad camera glitch but it was during a conversation with megumi, not an actual cutscene. Really hope they patch this mess soon...

IpsoFacto

Oh, yeah... The sound is one such persistent issue. In Shenmue I, the english dub, as comically bad as it is, I can't stand right now. So I've been playing with japanese voice-overs. Sounds sometimes cuts out during some moves, it's also a bit off in a few cutscenes, almost but not quite like I'm playing a poorly emulated game on an ATGames console.

BANGS

Banned
Oh, yeah... The sound is one such persistent issue. In Shenmue I, the english dub, as comically bad as it is, I can't stand right now. So I've been playing with japanese voice-overs. Sounds sometimes cuts out during some moves, it's also a bit off in a few cutscenes, almost but not quite like I'm playing a poorly emulated game on an ATGames console.
That's exactly how I feel, like I'm playing a bootleg version of the game or something. Oh well...

So there won't be any further bug fixing. That is really lazy on their end, and Sega Europe should own it up...

It is really disappointing, however its a good enough port that I appreciate a lot. I have been delaying my playthrough of shenmue 2 because i want to finish it as close to shenmue 3’s release as possible, but waiting for the inevitable delay! Perhaps the glitches in shenmue 2 hd are worse than the original?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Voices and some sound effects sound like they were compressed and then amplified... they sound awful sometimes and make my speakers pop... only content that does that.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm playing Shenmue 2 for the first time (thoughts coming soon) but I'm in the second big area, following that lady with the talking bird and the door QTE keeps failing me. Am I reading the inputs wrong or is it listed wrong? Tried 15 times lol.

Update: Home Invasion complete lol.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'm playing Shenmue 2 for the first time (thoughts coming soon) but I'm in the second big area, following that lady with the talking bird and the door QTE keeps failing me. Am I reading the inputs wrong or is it listed wrong? Tried 15 times lol.

Update: Home Invasion complete lol.

Yeah I found that part really hard for the QTE. Unsure why.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah I found that part really hard for the QTE. Unsure why.

Yeah those final QTEs prompts at the end of action sequences are very hit and miss. Took me about 20 goes to press left, right X lol.

I've played Shenmue 1 back in the day on the Dreamcast but missed out on number 2 as it was at the end of the Dreamcasts life cycle (still gutted we never got Soul Reaver 2 and Half Life, even though they had magazine reviews). I tried to play it again on the 360 with backwards compat but it was missing a disc so went back (possibly the bonus disc).

It's interesting playing this one with no rose tinted glasses. I'm enjoying it and can't wait to give my years late impressions when I'm finished lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom