• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II HD Announced [PS4/X1/Steam] 2018

Wow Xbox as well. I'm really looking forward to see how they change controls nd all. I didn't like Shenmue games but will try if it's modernised properly

Also, This makes me believe that Shenmue 3 exclusivity deal is timed but yet again no one is questioning Sony over it.

It has always been open for the possibility of other platforms and Sony always advertised it as coming to consoles on the PS4 first, so it may very well become a situation much like No Man's Sky.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/faqs

kevm3

wow amazing. What's with these Japanese companies actually listening for once? Megaman collection x collection by capcom and now this by sega.

thelastword

Banned
I hope they touch up some of those textures and give us a proper 16:9 ratio. This should also be 60fps no questions asked. Finally I can replay the forklift section in Shenmue 1 without all the pop-in......This thing had more pop-in than NFS-Underground. Anyway, it was about time, I hope they get unto JSRF, Gunvalkyrie and even Sega GT 2002.....Good times on the OG XBOX. A time when XBOX had proper exclusives ;)

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

I recently lost my Shenmue to data rot (I can't believe it's actually happening on DC games already). I can't wait to get sweaty again.

dave_d

I'm wondering if they'll keep in the functionality where your Shenmue 1 save game transfers over to Shenmue 2

kevm3

Now if squaresoft stopped with the lame jrpg kpop designs and actually made a proper console-based sequel to FFT, I can fully enjoy life again.

120v

i guess this is the best time and place to ask... is shenmue really honest to god worth checking out if you missed out back in the day?

i understand it was way ahead of its time, probably mindblowing back in the 90s. but assuming this remaster won't be bargain bin priced out the gate wondering if it'll be more than quenching a historical curiosity

GenericUser

i guess this is the best time and place to ask... is shenmue really honest to god worth checking out if you missed out back in the day?
honest answer? no. Many of its concepts have been done a thousand times better in other titles. Gameplay itself is nothing to write home about either. It has a certain charm and it's cool and interesting to experience such an iconic title on todays consoles. If you're not into this, just skip it and play something else.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Turns out my expectation was on-point, and I'm excited now...

Going to be interesting to see how modern audiences/reviewers take to these games, especially considering the Yakuza series exists and does virtually everything better.
That said, this is great news for Shenmue fans and I'm happy their wishes have come true.

lachesis

One thing about Shenmue was that it had some awkward control scheme. I'm actually looking forward for updated dual analog controls that are more common these days.

It did, sometimes felt like controlling a brick to just run around the town, as well as inspecting some stuff. Also it would be nice to have free controlling camera angle at some points too.

I hope they touch up some of those textures and give us a proper 16:9 ratio. This should also be 60fps no questions asked. Finally I can replay the forklift section in Shenmue 1 without all the pop-in......This thing had more pop-in than NFS-Underground. Anyways it's was about time, I hope they get unto JSRF, Gunvalkyrie and even Sega GT 2002.....Good times on the OG XBOX. A time when XBOX had proper exclusives;)

You just can't help yourself can you. Too hard to just say that it's nice to be on both platforms and be upgraded.

When we say HD, I wonder what improvements exactly that they are making. Also, I backed the Shenmue 3 kickstarter having only minorly played the first Shenmue on DreamCast. Guess I can enjoy the whole thing now.

thelastword

Banned
It would be great if this was a remaster with part 3's visuals, but I guess you take what you get. This was asked for by gamers for so long, can't wait to see more of it.....

Toe-Knee

i understand it was way ahead of its time, probably mindblowing back in the 90s. but assuming this remaster won't be bargain bin priced out the gate wondering if it'll be more than quenching a historical curiosity

Yes if you like Yakuza games but want something more serious /realistic with a better combat system (virtua fighter engine) .

I repay both games on an annual basis. Up there with FF7 for me.

The first game starts slow but stick with it.

RAIDEN1

Lets just hope this re-master does the franchise justice, seeing as we now know AT GAMES are going to be behind the new Sega Genesis/Megadrive Mini..it's like Sega never learns..and D3T being a bit of an "unknown quantity" when it comes to re-masters...

Artistic

Signs Shenmue III is going to be a timed exclusive.

Would like to try it, but of course have worries it might not have aged well over the years...but it is a highly touted cult classic.

OH-MyCar

I'm getting this day one because I can't wait to play Shenmue again without any hassles (and in Japanese no less). However, I can't help but to think this release is going to be divisive as hell. Virtually everything that Shenmue represents as groundbreaking is just not something you can easily communicate to people in 2018. I'll eat one of Tom's hotdogs if newcomers don't refer to virtually 100% of it as boring, tedious and archaic. They'll see it as the boring old progenitor of all of these modern, open experiences and not the weird, albeit influential, dead-end that it truly is. This isn't exactly a straightforward, Half Life 2-type scenario.

It's funny: We have Gone Home (I know), but when it comes to Shenmue the idea that you'd spend a good portion of your time looking through the cabinets and drawers in a Japanese house from 1986 is just something to take for granted. That's part of it. Walking down to the store and buying a cassette tape and dried squid is the gameplay at times. That "guy you have to talk to" has his daily schedule and you have to figure out where he hangs out after work. There are days where you just drive a Bobcat around the docks doing menial work for a paycheck. All of these things that define the game are going to be a huge black eye for someone expecting something different.

It's funny: We have Gone Home (I know),
See thats the thing, I wonder if it will actually be better received due to how indie gaming has influenced the industry. If in 1999 you were to tell someone about a game where the gameplay consists of nothing but walking around and listening to people speak, occasionally reading a note or memo, you would be laughed at. Now that is an entire genre with dozens of games. Shenmue was as close to that as it came back then, and even it had lots more interactivity and gameplay.

Will be interesting, but I'm just fucking stoked to play these games again.

celsowmbr

Banned
new screenshots:

Da3gIG1UQAA-7CV

Da3gI2VU8AAx8Zl

source:

ExpandKong

Banned
I beat the first Shenmue in one night at launch. I realize now that this was probably the wrong way to play the game, hahah. I’m slightly excited to play it again properly at least.

I never did get to play the second one - I got it on the XBox, but my copy was glitched or something and locked at the beginning of the game (I think while following someone to a point of interest) 100% of the time. Went to return it, ended up getting JSRF instead of a new Shenmue 2 lol. So that might be fun.

EDMIX

Can the switch not handle this? Honest question not port begging.

I think it could, the real question is, will Nintendo's install base even buy it? There is a GOOD reason why you don't see Sega putting Persona main games, Yakuza etc on Switch or Nintendo systems. They tried with Yakuza on Wii U and just gave up. That install base just has a lot of younger gamers that likely won't buy this type of adult content compared to the family friendly Sonic and furry friends.

EDMIX

This is a EASY DAY 1! I'm really hoping they do steelbook version like they the did for Persona 5, Yakuza remake 1 and 2 etc. I'll pay extra for that junk!

I think it could, the real question is, will Nintendo's install base even buy it? There is a GOOD reason why you don't see Sega putting Persona main games, Yakuza etc on Switch or Nintendo systems. They tried with Yakuza on Wii U and just gave up. That install base just has a lot of younger gamers that likely won't buy this type of adult content compared to the family friendly Sonic and furry friends.

That's proving not to be true on the Switch. No one really bought anything on WiiU outside what you'd expect. I didn't even know yakuza came out on the WiiU I would have bought it myself. They probably didn't market well because I bought a lot of games and I've never seen a trace of it

Last edited:

goldenpp72

That's proving not to be true on the Switch. No one really bought anything on WiiU outside what you'd expect. I didn't even know yakuza came out on the WiiU I would have bought it myself. They probably didn't market well because I bought a lot of games and I've never seen a trace of it

Switch would sell Shenmue more then Xbox that's for sure. I imagine they just don't have the resources to get it working. I plan on buying the game on every platform for support, so bring it on.

glados87

Neo Member
As a backer of Shenmue 3 I am glad they are realeasing this....however I still have graphics concern of Shenmue 3

OH-MyCar

I read that and thought "What? Sega never released Yakuza on the Wii U" and just looked it up. Less than 2000 sales in the first week. Yikes.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.vg247.com/2018/04/16/no-shenmue-1-hd-isnt-adding-time-skip-option/

Very quickly conflicting reports began to emerge, and I was able to find several news stories plus rampant message board and reddit chatter online saying that a time skip option was indeed being included in the HD version of Shenmue 1. Without any mention of the feature on any of Sega’s official channels, I figured I’d check directly with the publisher. Here’s the rub: Shenmue 1 HD will not feature time skip. The feature will of course be included in Shenmue 2 as it was before.

“We’ve tried to stay as close to the original feature sets in each game as possible, so Shenmue 1 will not have the time skip feature,” a Sega spokesperson told VG247 in a brief statement.

Top Bottom