• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II HD Announced [PS4/X1/Steam] 2018

Mecha Meow

I recently lost my Shenmue to data rot (I can't believe it's actually happening on DC games already). I can't wait to get sweaty again.

"Hey mister, wanna wrestle!" lol

Yeah, before I sold my entire 90s/00s collection, I had a 2-3 PSX/Saturn discs with the rot happening.

Out of my 2000+ anime DVDs (I don't buy or collect these anymore), I lost about 4-5 to rot as well since 1998.

I'm in for the PC version and possible 4k and will get a physical Switch version later if that ever becomes an option.

Adam Martinez

Neo Member
I love Shenmue but I think it won't be received well by new players and those who weren't impressed by it on Dreamcast.

When Shenmue came out, like the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo disc (and later just Metal Gear Solid 2), I was blown away by the jump in graphics and detail, but after that, those kind of graphics just seemed normal (Anyone else just skip Shenmue II for "some reason"?). I think new players will see two games where you walk around and "do nothing", with bad voice acting. Back then, it was cool to buy a soda from a vending machine because of the detail of the graphics; and that amount of voice acting was crazy, but not today.

I also remember Game Informer gave Shenmue a "6" when it came out on Dreamcast, and they didn't even give it a full page. PlayStation 2 also came out that same month in the U.S., so really... how excited could people be for a game that showed off what the Dreamcast was going to be capable of doing when they were already thinking about owning their first DVD player? There's a lot of us fans, but I think there's a lot more non-fans and never-fans who won't be able to enjoy it now.

Shenmue III as well... because retailers won't see any of that money from the Kickstarter, it's probably not even on their radar, so they might not put it in front of people. I just checked a few retailers online and there's zero results for Shenmue where other games are available for pre-order.

I think we're just going to have to cling together when this comes out lol.

Y2H

I've never played any of the Shenmue games before but I've always heard great things about them. After having seen a small portion of the beginning of the first game the other day, I'm so looking forward to playing this. The story, the music, the terrible but charming voice acting, and the overall dated look of the game grabbed my interest immediately and made this my most anticipated game this year.

Why is it that this 18-year-old game is already more interesting and compelling to me than any modern game released these past few years? The last time I was this excited for a game's release was MGSV and that turned into one of the biggest gaming disappointments I've ever experienced.

Looking forward to playing Shenmue II with English voice acting - the Dreamcast version only had Japanese audio with English subtitles.

I backed the Shenmue 3 KS without playing either of the first games (is that weird?). Anyway, now I'll finally get to experience them, and I can't wait. I'm expecting them to have not aged well, but I'm there day one from a story standpoint.

BANGS

Banned
Looking forward to playing Shenmue II with English voice acting - the Dreamcast version only had Japanese audio with English subtitles.
I can't play Shenmue 2 in English, the voice acting is even worse than the first game which shouldn't be possible...

A.Romero

I was a huge Shenmue fan when it was originally released. It was everything I could have wanted from a game. I played it a lot and enjoyed it to no end.

I've wanted this to happen since forever but now that it's happening I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy it. I'll definitely pick it up (probably on release date) but I'm not 100% confident I'll play it until the end. I fear mechanics haven't aged well.

I will play 3 until I finish it for sure, regardless of how good it is.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Any idea exactly when it's coming out? Is it a fall game? I haven't found info on that yet

They got me hooked very early on. I bought a japanese Dreamcast with VF3tb(Virtua Fighter fanatic here), and it came with this red disc called "Project Berkley". Had no idea what it was, but once I watched it..wow, I knew this was worth my attention, and very quickly I became a fan. Information started showing almost every day. There was a lot of discussion and teasing..

I got my japanese copy just about a day after release, before the end of the year, which was 1999. Before the new year I almost finished it, and it blew me away.. This was before the PS2 was out in Japan. I'll never forget the first time I saw the opening, just Shenhua reciting her poem in japanese. I made sure to use my VGA connector. One of my fav games ever. I hope SIII lives up to the hype..

Amory

After watching the GB let's play of Shenmue, I want no part of this series lol

But very cool for fans and people who are interested.

BANGS

Banned
After watching the GB let's play of Shenmue, I want no part of this series lol
They were playing it wrong lmfao. They kept running around in circles making the game alot slower than it had to be because they had no sense of direction and couldn't get used to the controls. It was actually really, really painful to watch....

Like I love hockey, but if I first watched a bunch of 3rd graders play it I'd prolly think it sucks too...

Elios83

Any idea exactly when it's coming out? Is it a fall game? I haven't found info on that yet

There is no release date at the moment.
I guess it will be late summer or fall. It should be before the Shenmue 3 release (although I doubt that game will hit the intended 2018 release, based on what they have released so far the game still lacks a credible animation system, hopefully at E3 they will be able to show some nice progresses).

Last edited:

Crew 511A

They were playing it wrong lmfao. They kept running around in circles making the game alot slower than it had to be because they had no sense of direction and couldn't get used to the controls. It was actually really, really painful to watch....

Like I love hockey, but if I first watched a bunch of 3rd graders play it I'd prolly think it sucks too...

I think a lot of first time players and even some reviewers are going to have the same experience. I expect reviews to really be all over the place for the remaster and Shen Mue 3.

If we're honest with ourselves, a lot of the love for Shen Mue is nostalgia based. It was an interesting new thing in 2000. Today, I don't think it holds up well against other open world games.

BANGS

Banned
I think a lot of first time players and even some reviewers are going to have the same experience. I expect reviews to really be all over the place for the remaster and Shen Mue 3.

That's a real shame but I can see that I guess...

If we're honest with ourselves, a lot of the love for Shen Mue is nostalgia based. It was an interesting new thing in 2000. Today, I don't think it holds up well against other open world games.

I disagree. It's certainly dated and if it came out today it would no doubt be panned, but many of the things that made Shenmue great at launch are still great today. It has a level of immersion and world building that has yet to be matched IMO...

vanhanz

Loved Shenmue 2 on original Xbox, never got to play the first. Looking forward to this, along with my copy of Shenmue 3 through Kickstarter.

Nicktendo86

https://www.vg247.com/2018/04/16/no-shenmue-1-hd-isnt-adding-time-skip-option/

Very quickly conflicting reports began to emerge, and I was able to find several news stories plus rampant message board and reddit chatter online saying that a time skip option was indeed being included in the HD version of Shenmue 1. Without any mention of the feature on any of Sega’s official channels, I figured I’d check directly with the publisher. Here’s the rub: Shenmue 1 HD will not feature time skip. The feature will of course be included in Shenmue 2 as it was before.

“We’ve tried to stay as close to the original feature sets in each game as possible, so Shenmue 1 will not have the time skip feature,” a Sega spokesperson told VG247 in a brief statement.
No problem at all, part of the reason I prefer Shemue 1 to 2 was the leisurely pace. Need to wait for an event? Go play some arcade games or something, plenty to do.

I hope they fix the fork lift bug in 1, I remember if when you have the dock job you drive the fork lift the wrong way you end up in an endless loop of days as the game doesn't' progress to an even that is supposed to happen. Drove me mad when it happened on my first playthrough all those years ago.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
No problem at all, part of the reason I prefer Shemue 1 to 2 was the leisurely pace. Need to wait for an event? Go play some arcade games or something, plenty to do.

I hope they fix the fork lift bug in 1, I remember if when you have the dock job you drive the fork lift the wrong way you end up in an endless loop of days as the game doesn't' progress to an even that is supposed to happen. Drove me mad when it happened on my first playthrough all those years ago.
That's not a bug, just don't drive the wrong way and instead drive the right way and you'll progress in the game just fine...

Would you call it a bug that you can't beat super mario brothers by going left?

BANGS

Banned
Pre-orders up on Best Buy! Got a great deal!

Screenshot_20180426-162226.png

EDMIX

Pre-orders up on Best Buy! Got a great deal!

Screenshot_20180426-162226.png
You too?

Lol I like how many of us are buying 2 copies. I'm buying one for my sister that just LOVES those 2 games, she plays the Yakuza series now based on it being the closest thing. I did the best thing a gamer brother could do, bought her the series on PS3 and PS4. This purchase is a day 1 and its on me.

BANGS

Banned
You too?

Lol I like how many of us are buying 2 copies. I'm buying one for my sister that just LOVES those 2 games, she plays the Yakuza series now based on it being the closest thing. I did the best thing a gamer brother could do, bought her the series on PS3 and PS4. This purchase is a day 1 and its on me.
Hell yes. I'll get the PC version too for those sweet sweet mods...

Nicktendo86

That's not a bug, just don't drive the wrong way and instead drive the right way and you'll progress in the game just fine...

It is a bug as it doesn't trigger a cutscene to progress the game, when I first played the game back in 1999 no one had figured out how to progress so was game ending. Looks like since people have worked out how to trigger the cutscene.

BANGS

Banned
It is a bug as it doesn't trigger a cutscene to progress the game, when I first played the game back in 1999 no one had figured out how to progress so was game ending. Looks like since people have worked out how to trigger the cutscene.
You absolutely do trigger a cutscene to progress the game if you do your work properly the way it's explained on the map. If you do it wrong, you won't trigger a cutscene and you won't progress. That's not a bug lmfao...

RAIDEN1

Get it by 31st December?? That long? Surely it can't be taking that amount of time just to get a HD engine onto this game?

I can't believe its actually happening. We're getting physical bilingual soundtrack HD versions of I&II from SEGA. This would've been even bigger news if they waited to just drop this at E3 but at least its finally happening after all these years. I am especially interested in how it will use modern game pads on the PS4/XB1 versions.

It is a bug, actually. Sega themselves said so back in the day (I bought it on release and ran into the same problem).

BANGS

Banned
It is a bug, actually. Sega themselves said so back in the day (I bought it on release and ran into the same problem).
I don't see how that could possibly be considered a bug. I'd love to hear Sega's response to it. Do you have the quote, or any sort of source for this claim? A google search doesn't provide anything about this...

Last edited:
I don't see how that could possibly be considered a bug. I'd love to hear Sega's response to it. Do you have the quote, or any sort of source for this claim? A google search doesn't provide anything about this...
It was said on the dreamarena forum I think. But it is definitely a bug.

Jagz

It was said on the dreamarena forum I think. But it is definitely a bug.
I don't think it's a bug. As BANGS said, you have to follow the route in a specific manner for it to trigger a fight scene in the warehouse, else you'll never progress. That said, it is a common issue, so it should be patched to be more lenient.

BANGS

Banned
That said, it is a common issue, so it should be patched to be more lenient.
Is it really that common? I'd never heard of it until recently. Honestly, the window to trigger the events is pretty lenient as it is. I can't imagine this being such a widespread problem(people doing the opposite of what the game is clearly telling you what to do and then wondering why they aren't progressing), but who knows...

I also wonder which specific day of work it is as well...?

Havoc2049

That isn't a bug. You have to earn enough money as a fork lift driver to be able to afford your ticket from Japan to Hong Kong. If you don't complete your job as a fork lift driver, you can't progress. Just like certain fights and QTEs in Shunmue. If you don't complete them, you have to keep doing them until you complete the task.

BANGS

Banned
You have to earn enough money as a fork lift driver to be able to afford your ticket from Japan to Hong Kong. If you don't complete your job as a fork lift driver, you can't progress.
That's not the case either lol. You just have to trigger certain events during and after work each day, most of which are extremely easy to find if you're doing your job right/running around the place after work. The amount of money you make or spend has nothing to do with it...

Nicktendo86

You absolutely do trigger a cutscene to progress the game if you do your work properly the way it's explained on the map. If you do it wrong, you won't trigger a cutscene and you won't progress. That's not a bug lmfao...
If I remember correctly (and this is going back a few years) even if you follow the correct route after going wrong the cutscene will still not trigger. I remember wasting days and days trying to do the same thing before reading somewhere that it was a bug and I had to start over.

Reading up now I can see on other forums people having the same issue but they got out of the loop, on my game it just never happened. On the second playthrough made sure to go the correct way and I had no issues.

BANGS

Banned
If I remember correctly (and this is going back a few years) even if you follow the correct route after going wrong the cutscene will still not trigger. I remember wasting days and days trying to do the same thing before reading somewhere that it was a bug and I had to start over.

Reading up now I can see on other forums people having the same issue but they got out of the loop, on my game it just never happened. On the second playthrough made sure to go the correct way and I had no issues.
You only have to go the correct way during the event trigger window(usually about an hour in-game time, 4 minutes real time). You can dick around all day but as long as you approach from the right area at the right time with the right cargo (or lack thereof), you will trigger the event and be fine. It's explained pretty well in the versusbooks strategy guide... I'll see if I can grab some scans that explain it when I get a chance...

EDIT: Turns out you don't even need to follow the path exactly most days. Every event is explained here, and they're all pretty lenient. I'd like to see how someone could manage to screw it up lmfao. Not kidding, I'd like to see video examples of how someone doesn't trigger these events while working diligently... Sounds like they put the controller down and didn't work at all lmfao

2_NDDAYONJOB.png
DAILYAMBUSH4.png
DAY5.png
MADANGELSREVENGE.png
MEETMADANGELS2.png

Last edited:

Jagz

Is it really that common? I'd never heard of it until recently. Honestly, the window to trigger the events is pretty lenient as it is. I can't imagine this being such a widespread problem(people doing the opposite of what the game is clearly telling you what to do and then wondering why they aren't progressing), but who knows...

I also wonder which specific day of work it is as well...?
Yeah, it's pretty common. I often watch people stream Shenmue on Twitch, and can think of about 5 different occurances where I saw it happen and where I had to guide the streamer out of it. I wouldn't say it's a bug, though; the scripting of this part is just very strict, and there's a couple of other prequisites involved, too.

I believe it happens on day 3/4 of the forklift job; it's before you get the lunch time photo scene with Nozomi.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty common. I often watch people stream Shenmue on Twitch, and can think of about 5 different occurances where I saw it happen and where I had to guide the streamer out of it. I wouldn't say it's a bug, though; the scripting of this part is just very strict, and there's a couple of other prequisites involved, too.

I believe it happens on day 3/4 of the forklift job; it's before you get the lunch time photo scene with Nozomi.
Interesting and strange... I wonder how that works...

Top Bottom